Duchess of Cambridge Jewellery 2: December 2011 - December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hm, it wasn't exactly Diana's favourite. Diana wore the Spencer tiara much more often.

Yeah, I would hardly call it Diana's favorite. She wore the Spencer Tiara 95% of the time. But the Daily Fail always plays fast and loose with the truth.

I think perhaps some of Diana's dislike of the BRF tiaras, and preferring the Spencer tiara, was due to her 'separation' from the BRF itself. She didn't need them for tiaras or titles.

LaRae

Hm, it wasn't exactly Diana's favourite. Diana wore the Spencer tiara much more often.

Diana sometimes wore the Spencer tiara for a change, unless her sister was also present and wore that one. I believe it was a pretty even balance between the two tiaras, depending on the occasion and her outfit.

I too was surprised to see Catherine wearing this tiara so soon in her royal career, but I like it. It's a signal that time is moving on. She and William gradually seem to be taking on a more senior role.

Last edited:
I don't think it's so much a lifetime loan as it is a generational loan. Look at the journey of the Cartier Scroll Halo Tiara. It went from QEQM -> Margaret -> Anne -> Catherine. No lifetime loan, just getting moved each time to the next generation.
You might be right, but I think we can say they were 'long term' loans. While Margaret of Anne had the scroll tiara, they didn't have to share with anyone. At least Diana, Sophie, Sarah and now Camilla all have their exclusive tiaras, not one has been shared between them.

Right. I remember that during the Australia/New Zealand and Canadian tours, she's often wear the same evening gown in a different country with a different tiara. It's often the way I can tell which country the picture was taken in.:flowers:

Diana sometimes wore the Spencer tiara for a change, unless her sister was also present and wore that one. I believe it was a pretty even balance between the two tiaras, depending on the occasion and her outfit.

Also I hope the 'Teck circle' necklace/tiara has been rescued from Linley's grasp, and maybe safely under lock and key in the vaults just waiting for 'Princess Henry'..

Diana indeed said the lover's knot tiara gave her headaches. It is a surprisingly heavy tiara, compared to the lighter Spencer family heirloom.

Camilla knows the uproar she would receive if she was ever photographed wearing Diana identified jewelry. So she goes for stuff that was worn more by the QM or the gorgeous jewels Charles has been gifting her with. Much safer.
That is probably another reason why she doesn't go by Princess of Wales either. She is not stupid or unfeeling. She understands how we average folks felt about the late Princess, and she won't do anything to hurt Charles publicly.

Well this is the best day ever. How great is it that we've now seen three different tiaras on Kate? I hope she turns out to be the lady who surprises us with creative tiara use

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

There are still some tiaras that haven't bee seen for ages: the Teck crescent tiara, the Strathmore rose tiara, the sapphire bandeau, and possibly also the so called 'lozenge bandeau' of Queen Mary. So Harry's wife would be safe.

Now that we know the Lotus Flower tiara was returned to the vault, it's extremely likely that the Persian Turquoise Tiara was returned too. That would be a good candidate for Harry's wife. Especially if he marries a blue-eyed woman with some flair to her, like Chelsy, Cressida, etc.

Shocked that we saw the Cambridge Tiara -
firstly shocked because Kate has attended 3 state functions and her wedding and has worn 3 different tiaras over the 4 events. This is a huge surprise for the British royal family who notoriously stick to a favourite tiara (loaned or gifted) for many years. Fergie had 1, Diana had 2, Sophie has the use of 3 (but that has taken 15 years to amass this up, ps not including the tiara she borrowed for the danish pre-wedding gala in this total) Anne really only uses 2/3 and Camilla only seen in 3. Kate is certainly lucky to have got the chance to wear 3 different tiaras within 4 years of marriage
secondly whilst she is Duchess of Cambridge i always saw this Cambridge tiara with its close connections with Diana being held in the vault for more years to come. It was a long time from when the Queen wore the tiara in the 1950s until it was loaned to Diana from 1981 and now its loaned to Kate after a quicker period of time.

Is Kate a secret vault magpie like Queen Maxima - maybe Maxima gave her pearls of wisdom on the remembrance sunday balcony chat - "kate wear as many tiaras as you can and live out her girl's fantasy of being a princess"

What is left for Harry's wife - i had hoped that seeing kate got the Diana's engagement ring then maybe the Cambridge tiara would be left unused until Harry married. Now i want to see the sapphire and pearl choker that Diana often wore brought out again. as well as many of her other fabulous sapphire jewels

This tiara has always been of my favorites but I think this was a really bad idea. We will now be subjected to an overdose of comparisons between Kate and Diana that will be nauseating.

But that is because of followers and the media. It isn't a good enough reason for this to stay in the vault.

According to some of the media when Catherine wears pink/blue/green/yellow/a wedding dress she is channelling Diana :lol:

Give me a break

Yeah, but those were the departure pics.

It wasn't a bad idea for her to wear the tiara. The tiara was never Diana's to begin with. It's a family heirloom that was lent to Diana to wear. Like most of the family jewels, it's been passed down to another senior royal, Catherine. Princess Charlotte may end up wearing it in the future. The comparisons will always be there.

I am well aware that the tiara was only a lifetime loan to Diana and that jewels get passed down the family. All I was doing was stating my opinion and it has nothing to do with Diana because I had pretty much lost interest well before she died.

Thanks cepe....good to know!

LaRAe

There are still some tiaras that haven't bee seen for ages: the Teck crescent tiara, the Strathmore rose tiara, the sapphire bandeau, and possibly also the so called 'lozenge bandeau' of Queen Mary. So Harry's wife would be safe.

Save some for Camilla.
She has only regularly worn one from the royal vault.

Last edited:
Why would Catherine wearing a tiara stop Harry's future wife from wearing it too? Maybe the new generation of the Windsors will do it Orange- and Bernadottestyle and share.

Why would Catherine wearing a tiara stop Harry's future wife from wearing it too? Maybe the new generation of the Windsors will do it Orange- and Bernadottestyle and share.

I wouldn't bet the house on that. I find it difficult to believe that the BRF would do a 180 turn in how they distribute jewels.

Harry's future wife will have plenty of jewels to choose from, because the family heirlooms is pretty vast. There's still tiaras and other jewels that haven't seen the light of day in many years.

I'm glad Catherine is exploring the vaults.

I think 20 Years is definitely long enough for this tiara to have not been seen. It did not belong to Diana so now it is time for someone else to wear it. It is a beautiful piece and should be worn . As for comparisons , Kate will be compared for as long as she lives that will never end.

I agree! It is time to bring it back out of the vault. The wearing of Queen Mary's/Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara is a significant nod to the Catherine's importance with the family. Why wouldn't William want his wife to wear a tiara so closely linked to his mother. I didn't think the DOC would wear this tiara until she became the Princess of Wales.

Might I even suggest more important than getting QEII royal order. Such blasphemy, I know! :homy: Catherine will get the RFO, but I think it will be for a significant occasion or anniversary. I just hope that she receives the order before QE II passes. (I don't wish any harm, but she is pushing 90!)

So far the Duchess of Cambridge has had access to 3 tiaras. The Duchess of Cornwall has had access to 3 of the BRF tiaras - and we've only seen her in 2 of them. Camilla has received many jewels of the Queen Mum, but QEII seems to be opening the vaults to William and Catherine. YAY!!

Kate dons Diana's favourite tiara for first time: Duchess chooses Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara for glittering white tie Diplomatic Reception at Buckingham Palace
LINK: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...littering-white-tie-Diplomatic-Reception.html

If one scrolls down in the Daliy Mail article about the Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara, there is a picture of Diana in a simply lovely necklace: "On a visit to Canada in June 1983, Diana teamed the tiara with a heart-shaped diamond necklace which Charles gave her when William was born and the family order of Queen Elizabeth pin."

Absolutely lovely necklace. I am really taken with it. :flowers: I wonder where it is now.

So what's the story about the Lover's Cambridge Knot Tiara? Three possibilities spoken -
1 - belongs to another family (so how would Catherine be wearing it?)
2 - given to Diana, so did William inherit it?
3 - still belongs to the Queen so loaned to Catherine.

Which is it? :ermm:

Last edited:
Kate dons Diana's favourite tiara for first time: Duchess chooses Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara for glittering white tie Diplomatic Reception at Buckingham Palace
LINK: Kate Middleton wears Diana’s favourite Knot tiara for Dipolomatic Reception | Daily Mail Online

If one scrolls down in the Daliy Mail article about the Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara, there is a picture of Diana in a simply lovely necklace: "On a visit to Canada in June 1983, Diana teamed the tiara with a heart-shaped diamond necklace which Charles gave her when William was born and the family order of Queen Elizabeth pin."

Absolutely lovely necklace. I am really taken with it. :flowers: I wonder where it is now.

So what's the story about the Lover's Cambridge Knot Tiara? Three possibilities spoken -

Number 3 is generally agreed on. Either it was a long time loan that was "up" after the divorce or her death or Diana gave it back as a good will gesture of some sort.

LINK: Kate Middleton wears Diana’s favourite Knot tiara for Dipolomatic Reception | Daily Mail Online

Lol, the tiara is a loan to Catherine from The Queen. The Queen inherited the piece from her grandmother, Queen Mary. It was always in The Queen's possession. It's just nobody has worn it since Diana last wore it in the early 90's.

I just noticed that the tiara has a new wrap on the frame- when Diana wore it, it was wrapped in white satin since blonde hair is hard to match in fabric, but for Kate, it's been given a dark wrap which her hair hides, so it looks slightly lower. (It suits the tiara I think)

I could be totally off, but to me that indicates it's been prepared for her and this is probably a longer term loan, not a one off wear.

Well in time Kate will have full access just like Camilla will as the majority of the jewelry will pass from the Queen to Charles and then to William. The monarch to monarch transfer is tax free so the bulk the jewelry in the BRF is maintained instead of auctioned off to pay the inheritance taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I just noticed that the tiara has a new wrap on the frame- when Diana wore it, it was wrapped in white satin since blonde hair is hard to match in fabric, but for Kate, it's been given a dark wrap which her hair hides, so it looks slightly lower. (It suits the tiara I think)

I could be totally off, but to me that indicates it's been prepared for her and this is probably a longer term loan, not a one off wear.

I think you're right. I noticed the bottom looked different but I didn't put much thought into it before you mentioned it. This probably does indicate that The Queen wanted this tiara earmarked for Catherine. Either because of the Cambridge namesake connection; or because the tiara has only been worn by Queens, or wives of future Kings.

Not only does the tiara look better when it's set lower. The pearls are more striking against a dark-haired backdrop. It's a good fit for Catherine.

Yup, the base is wrapped in a darker satin to blend with Catherine's hair.

It do look good on Catherine. Hopefully, she'll wear it again for the Spanish State Visit.

Last edited:
There are actually two tiaras. One was the original Cambridge Lovers' Knot which belongs to another family - the descendants of a previous Duke of Cambridge. The one Catherine is wearing is also called the CLKT but is the one recreated by Queen Mary as a replica of the original in 1914. Queen Mary was a member of that earlier Cambridge family - her grandfather was created Duke of Cambridge by his father George III. Mary left the tiara to the Queen who reportedly gave it to Diana as a wedding gift. Was it a 'permanent gift' or a 'loaned for lifetime gift' was not clear. Either way it would have been returned to The Queen either at the time of the divorce, as part of the divorce settlement, at her death OR inherited by William and/or Harry when she died. Whoever owns it now it is clear it belongs to the BRF and it the replica created in 1914 for Queen Mary. Where the original is I have no idea but it still does belong to Queen Mary's maternal family.

Yup, the base is wrapped in a darker satin to blend with Catherine's hair.

It do look good on Catherine. Hopefully, she'll wear it again for the Spanish State Visit.

I had the same thought- getting good pictures of her in it would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom