Duchess of Cambridge Jewellery 2: December 2011 - December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It occurred to me that the fern brooch is all of a piece - that is, iy is substantial. The wattle is more ethereal and as such travels less well. As we learned that George is a "grabber: at this point, the fern seemed a safe bet just now whereas some wise head might have had the thought that the wattle might be more prone to needing repairs.

I understand that the Duchess could have put the pin on last thing and avoided any issue with grabbing fingers. But she and the Duke do seem the type to hug George as they run out the door.
Finally, I think it possible that the Wattle came along on the trip and that the last minute gift of the poppy changed things up.. For the Cambridges it would almost seem to be providence steeping in and showing that duty trumps sparkly bits in people's hearts.
Mind you, I realize that I have too active an imagination and spend too much time thinking about sparkly bits, a family I don't really know and the service of country. It's just me being goofy and dreamy. :dizzy:
It was a fun trip.

This was what crossed my mind. The Wattle did come along, but then the gift of the Poppy brooch took place the night before and it was decided considering what the day's events were, the Poppy was chosen instead. Just like everyone else, I have no idea if that's actually what happened, but it is quite possible.

I just hope we get to see it worn again in the future for Veteran's Events/Remembrance Sunday, as it really is a lovely piece and also appropriate for such events as well. Sophie always wears a Canadian Poppy and Camilla has that crocheted or tatted one she's worn in the past, so it wouldn't surprise me to see it on Kate in the Future for such events.

Considering all of the various Commemorative Events about to take place the next few years w/the Centenary of WWI and respective Battles it spawned, that brooch very well could be seen pretty often.

I did have another awful thought - perhaps the Wattle brooch got damaged just before the service !

I did have another awful thought - perhaps the Wattle brooch got damaged just before the service !

I think it's more likely that she just didn't bring it. Possibly it's not to her taste.

CAMBRIDGE CONFIDENTIAL: Wills's precious maternity gift to Kate. Her £6,000 hairdos. George's VERY exclusive baby food... the intimate secrets of a glorious Royal Tour | Mail Online

The Duke and Duchess may not celebrate their third wedding anniversary until Tuesday, but romantic Wills is well ahead of the curve: he presented Kate with a stunning wristwatch weeks before they went on tour. Kate adores the stylish stainless steel £3,600 Ballon Bleu de Cartier watch, which is embedded with a sapphire stone to match her Princess Diana engagement ring, and made sure she wore it every day of the tour.

Attachments

• Kateswatch.jpg
    Kateswatch.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 902
I know I'm going to get bashed for this. But, with all the beautiful jewels left by her late mother-in-law, she's wearing this stuff? I would think it would be an honor to wear some of Diana's things, even reset or styled differently. Am I the only one who finds this strange?

:ohmy:

I know I'm going to get bashed for this. But, with all the beautiful jewels left by her late mother-in-law, she's wearing this stuff? I would think it would be an honor to wear some of Diana's things, even reset or styled differently. Am I the only one who finds this strange?

I don't find it strange at all. I don't think Kate is as particular about wearing a lot of jewelry and when she does, its understated. When she does wear diamonds, she wears her own which probably has more meaning to her.

Diana's jewelry may not be to her taste...different era also. Kate hasn't had near the opportunity to wear some of the bigger/fancier pieces. Diana was the wife of the heir. Kate is the wife of the heir's son.

LaRae

Perhaps they are waiting until Harry is married to divide Diana's Jewels.

Here's a nice closeup of the Celtic brooch the Countess of Strathearn wore in Scotland. It's a very pretty piece.

It is indeed and thanks for that closer and clearer look at it and to Anna for the link to more info over at Facebook. From the far away looks of it in the pictures from the other day, I was wondering if there were Trinity Knots in the design, as w/it being a Scottish Visit would make perfect sense for this trip to have it's first outing. As that lady's digging has revealed (and being proudly Scottish Canadian myself, from my own interest and digging into my Ancestry over the years) the symbolism of various designs being "grouped" together in threes is very, very ingrained into Celtic History, Symbolism and Mythology. Although, I'm far more used to seeing it shown in a manner for something such as Jewelry or other decorative pieces by using groupings of the Celtic/Trinity Knotwork Patterns. First time I've seen patterns such as the Countess' brooch and the pictures that go along w/that Facebook posting though.

Not complaining though, as they are very lovely designs and will end up going really well w/just about anything Kate wears. That it seems to be a Wedding Present from William *and* we happen to be seeing it for the first time in Scotland where they met, fell in love and... :). Also the fact this was the first Official Visit to their Earldom from TRH and makes perfect sense to me why Kate decided to debut it where she did.

Also...I have this feeling that what Diana did for Pearls and Choker Necklaces, making them popular and "cool" again in the 80's & 90's, Kate very well may end up doing for Brooches and Pins. She may not wear them often, but she does wear them and I have my fingers crossed my hunch on this is right. I have some lovely Brooches, some Heirlooms, I'd love to take out of their storage boxes and show off.

Anyway...That's MHO on it. I really do love the design of it. Would love to see it used to keep a Clan Tartan sash pinned closed and to whatever HRH would be wearing the day. It looks sturdy enough to do the job for that purpose someday. Not to mention being pulled by a certain Crumb Snatcher. ;)

It is indeed and thanks for that closer and clearer look at it and to Anna for the link to more info over at Facebook. From the far away looks of it in the pictures from the other day, I was wondering if there were Trinity Knots in the design, as w/it being a Scottish Visit would make perfect sense for this trip to have it's first outing. As that lady's digging has revealed (and being proudly Scottish Canadian myself, from my own interest and digging into my Ancestry over the years) the symbolism of various designs being "grouped" together in threes is very, very ingrained into Celtic History, Symbolism and Mythology.
That it seems to be a Wedding Present from William *and* we happen to be seeing it for the first time in Scotland where they met, fell in love and... :). Also the fact this was the first Official Visit to their Earldom from TRH and makes perfect sense to me why Kate decided to debut it where she did.
That FB is mine I am passionate about jewellery and that brooch intrigues me, I wish they would just share all the info. After all, one day it will be a part of royal history.
I agree. I would LOVE to see it with her Strathearn shawl and with William in a kilt :flowers:

Diana's jewels were very nice but I think Catherine may dive into them for special occasions. You are right though, she could play around with Diana's jewels and make them her own. If she's given permission from The Queen, she could even play around with the jewels Her Majesty loaned to Diana.

Diana had a wonderful sapphire suite given to her by the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia. Catherine now wear a pair of modified earrings from that collection. Also, The Queen Mother gave Diana (as a wedding present) an egg shaped sapphire brooch surrounded by diamonds. Diana used it with a string of pearls to form a choker. It hasn't seen the light of day since Diana last wore in the 90's but Catherine could wear it as a brooch again.

That FB is mine I am passionate about jewellery and that brooch intrigues me, I wish they would just share all the info. After all, one day it will be a part of royal history.
I agree. I would LOVE to see it with her Strathearn shawl and with William in a kilt :flowers:

That Stratearn tartan is soo beautiful pleated. I love how pleat kilting turns a plaid into a very different appearing thing!

Obviously, I didn't realize when I posted last night. Thanks for sharing all the digging into the Brooch you did. I too would love it if it was pinned w/her Strathearn shawl someday. It would look stunning. :)

Perhaps they are waiting until Harry is married to divide Diana's Jewels.

If Prince Henry marries and the jewels of Princess Diana are divided, have specifications previously been put into writing as to how exactly Diana's jewels would be divided?

:previous: As far as I am aware they were left equally to her children and I wouldn't mind betting that a lot of the really "Wow" peices, except for her engagement ring, will end up with Harry as William will have access to the really big vault with all it's wonderful goodies.

Just a thought.

:previous: As far as I am aware they were left equally to her children and I wouldn't mind betting that a lot of the really "Wow" peices, except for her engagement ring, will end up with Harry as William will have access to the really big vault with all it's wonderful goodies.

Just a thought.

MARG, Thank you for a splendid thought! :flowers:

The Celtic Knot brooch is beautiful and full of symbolism!

Trooping the Colour today, the Duchess has on quite a brooch. It looks to be made out of large pearls.

:previous: costume jewellery?

Maybe. If it's fine jewelry at first I thought celtic swirls (to accompany the Duke's Irish Guard's Uniform) in silver or platinum. She does like to make those small acknowledgements of occasions with colors or accessories.
Then I thought mabe pearls. It could have been a gift on the Pacific tour. I'd have to go back and look at the gift list - I vaguely remember one of two possible jewel gifts there.
Good mabe pearls have great luster - just like the brooch. But it is just a guess.
EDIT - I found the list on the POW site. Jewelry from Malaysian official and Brooch from private individual. She also got a pearl twin set that we have never seen - but want to!

Last edited:
The best thing is.. i know now that the Duchess isn't 'ideologically' opposed to brooches... i had begun to wonder...

Maybe. If it's fine jewelry at first I thought celtic swirls (to accompany the Duke's Irish Guard's Uniform) in silver or platinum. She does like to make those small acknowledgements of occasions with colors or accessories.
Then I thought mabe pearls. It could have been a gift on the Pacific tour. I'd have to go back and look at the gift list - I vaguely remember one of two possible jewel gifts there.
Good mabe pearls have great luster - just like the brooch. But it is just a guess.
EDIT - I found the list on the POW site. Jewelry from Malaysian official and Brooch from private individual. She also got a pearl twin set that we have never seen - but want to!
Thanks for the information. I don't know if I like the brooch or not. Pearls are a good choice with the pale blue but it looks like costume jewelry. Perhaps it looks better in person.

That's certainly a statement piece and of unusual design, but would have looked far better against a deeper color to truly stand out.

Good piece of detective work!

That's certainly a statement piece and of unusual design, but would have looked far better against a deeper color to truly stand out.

If those pearls are real, we will be seeing them against a lot of different colors over the next 60 years or so!

Very unusual design and quite pretty. Your so right, they fade into the background on this suit...maybe something darker like a navy suit or even red would have shown them better. If those are real(bet they are) what a beautiful brooch indeed! Wonder if she will let me borrow it.........lololololo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom