The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 11:54 PM
Royal Highness

I don't see it as a fluff piece it was know as Diana's so it's only natural to make comment about Diana wearing it. You can't write Diana out no matter how much some people would like to. I'd expect them to write a story about it I'd be shocked if they didn't.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 12-09-2015, 11:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Princess Lilian de Réthy famously wore a lot of the jewellery previously worn by Queen Astrid, the first wife of her husband King Leopold III of Belgium. She even wore some of the jewellery gifted to Astrid at her wedding.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Haha, yeah. I mean, among us mortals we might not do it. But I am sure alot of "second ladies" have worn family tiaras of the husband etc. Isn't Dianas brother for example remarried? I have no doubt that both wives have used the same tiaras and lived in the same houses with alot of the same furniture. It's another world than ours.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Princess Lilian de Réthy famously wore a lot of the jewellery previously worn by Queen Astrid, the first wife of her husband King Leopold III of Belgium. She even wore some of the jewellery gifted to Astrid at her wedding.

I don't think Astrid and Lilian overlapped as Leopold's love interest. That changes the dynamic. Women may share men or they may share jewelry but rarely do they share both.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:38 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
I don't think Astrid and Lilian overlapped as Leopold's love interest. That changes the dynamic. Women may share men or they may share jewelry but rarely do they share both.

They didn't overlap since Leopold didn't meet Lilian until years after the death of his first wife but from what I've heard it was still controversial for the Belgians to see Lilian in the wedding gifts of their beloved Astrid. As personal property those jewels should have been saved for her children and not gifted by her widower to his new wife.

Old 12-10-2015, 02:50 AM
Courtier

Quote:
They didn't overlap since Leopold didn't meet Lilian until years after the death of his first wife but from what I've heard it was still controversial for the Belgians to see Lilian in the wedding gifts of their beloved Astrid. As personal property those jewels should have been saved for her children and not gifted by her widower to his new wife.

Well, then it was smart of Camilla and Charles not to repeat Lilian and Leopold's mistake.

Personally, I think the Belgian people just used this as an excuse to complain because they already disliked Lilian.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:10 AM
Heir Apparent

What I found interesting is that only the senior royals were present at the reception!

Sebastian Shakespeare mentioned that, in years past, all of the RF would turn out en masse, so that everyone would have the opportunity to speak to a royal.

Wonder if this will be taken as another hint that Charles will decide to downsize the monarchy?
Old 12-12-2015, 12:23 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
What I found interesting is that only the senior royals were present at the reception!

Sebastian Shakespeare mentioned that, in years past, all of the RF would turn out en masse, so that everyone would have the opportunity to speak to a royal.

Wonder if this will be taken as another hint that Charles will decide to downsize the monarchy?

I would suggest that the majority of the Royal Family - the Royal Highnesses anyway are all in their mid to late seventies and older, evening engagements are probably not high on their lists of engagements these days.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:33 AM
Nobility

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge attends a Christmas Day church service at Sandringham on December 25, 2015.

https://40.media.tumblr.com/9b700551...jvvo1_1280.jpg

Source: "she's been a joy from heaven."
Old 12-25-2015, 09:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Are those earrings opals?

LaRae
Old 12-25-2015, 09:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge attends a Christmas Day church service at Sandringham on December 25, 2015.

https://40.media.tumblr.com/9b700551...jvvo1_1280.jpg

Source: "she's been a joy from heaven."
Lovely brooch
Old 12-25-2015, 09:40 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Are those earrings opals?

LaRae
green amethyst
Old 12-25-2015, 09:47 AM
Serene Highness

*Good God*..

She's discovered Brooches....!
Old 12-25-2015, 09:48 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
*Good God*..

She's discovered Brooches....!
She discovered that brooch in 2012.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:00 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
She discovered that brooch in 2012
Really ? I've no recollection of it. It looks 'en suite' with her Wedding earrings, and Armorial bearings, with its Oak Leaves.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:13 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Really ? I've no recollection of it. It looks 'en suite' with her Wedding earrings, and Armorial bearings, with its Oak Leaves.
Maybe you're right, it could be an acorn brooch set piece from the same set as the acorn brooch she wore in 2012.

Why a women who rarely wears brooches would need two acorn brooches of the same metal and design is puzzling. Heck, I don't know why anyone would want matching brooches.

I'm just going to assume they are one in the same.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Beautiful choice of jewelry for today's Christmas church service .
Old 12-25-2015, 11:37 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Maybe you're right, it could be an acorn brooch set piece from the same set as the acorn brooch she wore in 2012.

Why a women who rarely wears brooches would need two acorn brooches of the same metal and design is puzzling. Heck, I don't know why anyone would want matching brooches.

I'm just going to assume they are one in the same.
I have yet to see a good photo of the luncheon in 2012 of the brooch because her hair was always in the way. The best photo I've seen is here and in my opinion, it looks like the same brooch. But again, it's hard to tell. Considering her avoidance of jewels, my assumption would be its the same brooch.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:47 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GömdNatt View Post
I have yet to see a good photo of the luncheon in 2012 of the brooch because her hair was always in the way. The best photo I've seen is here and in my opinion, it looks like the same brooch. But again, it's hard to tell. Considering her avoidance of jewels, my assumption would be its the same brooch.
Anna has some better pictures here:

https://www.facebook.com/13242619684...type=3&theater

I thiiiink it's the same one.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:52 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
Anna has some better pictures here:

https://www.facebook.com/13242619684...type=3&theater

I thiiiink it's the same one.
yeah, it definitely looks the same to me.
Old 12-25-2015, 03:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
I don't see it as a fluff piece it was know as Diana's so it's only natural to make comment about Diana wearing it. You can't write Diana out no matter how much some people would like to. I'd expect them to write a story about it I'd be shocked if they didn't.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
I believe you are correct Royal Rob. This tiaria became associated with The Late Diana, Princess of Wales and was so much a part of so many iconic images. I would have been shocked at Diana (R.I.P) not being mentioned.

Closed Thread