The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 12:16 AM
Courtier

I'd rather we see the Halo Scroll Tiara, again. I really like that tiara and was thrilled she choose it for her wedding. But it needs a second showing, especially since it's a 'starter' tiara and I doubt she'll wear it as The Princess of Wales or even once she becomes a full-time royal.

She'll have decades to wear the Cambridge Love Knot, again.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
I'd rather we see the Halo Scroll Tiara, again. I really like that tiara and was thrilled she choose it for her wedding. But it needs a second showing, especially since it's a 'starter' tiara and I doubt she'll wear it as The Princess of Wales or even once she becomes a full-time royal.

It's not a personal favorite of mine, honestly. It would be nice to see it again some time, but I'm more excited to see her wear really significant pieces like she did tonight.

I find it encouraging that she's interested in wearing different tiaras and getting comfortable borrowing from the family collection

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Old 12-09-2015, 12:57 AM
Courtier

It's nice she's experimenting. I just don't want her to pull a Princess Anne and only wear her wedding tiara the one time.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:10 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
Shocked that we saw the Cambridge Tiara -
firstly shocked because Kate has attended 3 state functions and her wedding and has worn 3 different tiaras over the 4 events. This is a huge surprise for the British royal family who notoriously stick to a favourite tiara (loaned or gifted) for many years. Fergie had 1, Diana had 2, Sophie has the use of 3 (but that has taken 15 years to amass this up, ps not including the tiara she borrowed for the danish pre-wedding gala in this total) Anne really only uses 2/3 and Camilla only seen in 3. Kate is certainly lucky to have got the chance to wear 3 different tiaras within 4 years of marriage
secondly whilst she is Duchess of Cambridge i always saw this Cambridge tiara with its close connections with Diana being held in the vault for more years to come. It was a long time from when the Queen wore the tiara in the 1950s until it was loaned to Diana from 1981 and now its loaned to Kate after a quicker period of time.

Is Kate a secret vault magpie like Queen Maxima - maybe Maxima gave her pearls of wisdom on the remembrance sunday balcony chat - "kate wear as many tiaras as you can and live out her girl's fantasy of being a princess"

What is left for Harry's wife - i had hoped that seeing kate got the Diana's engagement ring then maybe the Cambridge tiara would be left unused until Harry married. Now i want to see the sapphire and pearl choker that Diana often wore brought out again. as well as many of her other fabulous sapphire jewels
It's true that Anne has her two favorites, but she's used at least 5 tiaras.
1. The Halo Scroll Tiara 2. Queen Mary's Fringe 3. The Festoon 4. The Greek Meander 5. The Aquamarine Pineflower Tiara

She's probably used more, I just can't think of them. To me it seems that Diana and Sarah were more the outliers than they were the norm.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:03 AM
Majesty

Kate Wears the Lover's Knot Tiara | The Court Jeweller
Old 12-09-2015, 02:25 AM
Heir Apparent

This tiara is perfect for Catherine. I hope to see this tiara again and better this time.
It is a little frustrating. The ladies wearing their best and not to watch. Except perhaps guests.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:29 AM
Courtier

British Royal Family Current Events 8: April 2015-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
There are actually two tiaras. One was the original Cambridge Lovers' Knot which belongs to another family - the descendants of a previous Duke of Cambridge. The one Catherine is wearing is also called the CLKT but is the one recreated by Queen Mary as a replica of the original in 1914. Queen Mary was a member of that earlier Cambridge family - her grandfather was created Duke of Cambridge by his father George III. Mary left the tiara to the Queen who reportedly gave it to Diana as a wedding gift. Was it a 'permanent gift' or a 'loaned for lifetime gift' was not clear. Either way it would have been returned to The Queen either at the time of the divorce, as part of the divorce settlement, at her death OR inherited by William and/or Harry when she died. Whoever owns it now it is clear it belongs to the BRF and it the replica created in 1914 for Queen Mary. Where the original is I have no idea but it still does belong to Queen Mary's maternal family.

According to a conversation on Twitter between Marlene Koenig and The Order of Splendor the Cambridge tiara was sold by Princess Jutta of Montenegro and today belongs to the Prince of Waldburg-Zeil.

http://[http://members2.boardhost.co...442263931.html

A picture of what seems to be the original Cambridge tiara. Here worn by the Princess of Waldburg-Zeil

https://twitter.com/royalmusing/stat...93707009<br />

Old 12-09-2015, 02:32 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Now that we know the Lotus Flower tiara was returned to the vault, it's extremely likely that the Persian Turquoise Tiara was returned too. That would be a good candidate for Harry's wife. Especially if he marries a blue-eyed woman with some flair to her, like Chelsy, Cressida, etc.
what a wonderful thought, the turquoise pieces would look marvelous on a younger lady, and they're more modest than the larger heirloom pieces, so suitable for the wife of the second son
Old 12-09-2015, 03:47 AM
Nobility

The colour of the fabric used covering the frame really can be no indication of to whom the tiara will be leant !
Old 12-09-2015, 04:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy- View Post
what a wonderful thought, the turquoise pieces would look marvelous on a younger lady, and they're more modest than the larger heirloom pieces, so suitable for the wife of the second son
It is avtually quiet a big tiara. And it would be better to loan an all diamond tiara to a future wife of Harry because then it is easier to have the matching gowns. But my guess is that if he will marry in the Queen's lifetime his wife will not get a tiara from the Vaults bot ione purchased for her or one who was made from loose diamond. Like it was the case for Sarah and Sophie.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:22 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I just noticed that the tiara has a new wrap on the frame- when Diana wore it, it was wrapped in white satin since blonde hair is hard to match in fabric, but for Kate, it's been given a dark wrap which her hair hides, so it looks slightly lower. (It suits the tiara I think)
Actually these bases of tiaras are covered with velvet ribbon not satin. Velvet makes them more steady, satin is too slippery.

I am happy Cambridge Lovers Knot Tiara is out again. It is very beautiful tiara and pearls need to get out to get them shining. This tiara may also have been William´s choice.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:50 AM
Courtier

Lovers Knot isn't one of my favorit tiaras - but I'm very happy Kate wears it and the 'ban' for the public is broken (hopefully).

As the Lovers Knot is quite an important piece it may be reserved for the 'main' line - so I do not think we will see it on Harrys wife.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:42 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
It is avtually quiet a big tiara. And it would be better to loan an all diamond tiara to a future wife of Harry because then it is easier to have the matching gowns. But my guess is that if he will marry in the Queen's lifetime his wife will not get a tiara from the Vaults bot ione purchased for her or one who was made from loose diamond. Like it was the case for Sarah and Sophie.
I don't think we can dismiss the Persian Turquoise Tiara just because it has colored stones. Two out of three of Sophie's tiaras have colored stones. Besides where else would it go? I can't see Camilla or Catherine wearing it, and Anne, Sophie, Birgitte all already have their rotation of tiaras. I think it will eventually end up with Harry's wife by default; and it's a beautiful, historic piece so she will be lucky. If Birgitte can rock the large Teck Turquoise Tiara, than Princess Harry can surely rock the Persian Turquoise.

As for Sarah and Sophie, well those are different stories. Sarah ordered her own tiara before The Queen got a chance to lend one. And Sophie got a cobbled together wedding tiara because she married at a very awkward time. Both the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret were still alive so a lot of tiaras weren't available. Also, they weren't going to lend any main-line tiaras to a women marrying the third son, and just seven years earlier The Queen watched three of her children divorce, so she was rightfully wary of seeing another stigma get attached to one of her family's tiaras.

And besides, the Persian Turquoise makes more sense than some of the other options. There are a lot of rumors that the Strathmore Rose Tiara is in too bad of shape to wear. And according to Hugh Roberts the Teck Crescent Tiara has already been lent to Camilla, she just hasn't publicly worn it yet.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Save some for Camilla.
She has only regularly worn one from the royal vault.
Those tiaras I enumerated are more than enough for the future Pricness Harry, she'll probably wear only one or too during the Queen's lifetime. And then there is the Dhurbar, which I long to see again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Why would Catherine wearing a tiara stop Harry's future wife from wearing it too? Maybe the new generation of the Windsors will do it Orange- and Bernadottestyle and share.

I can't imagine any tiara sharing during the Queen's reign. And even under Charles it seems unlikely to me, but only time will tell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I just noticed that the tiara has a new wrap on the frame- when Diana wore it, it was wrapped in white satin since blonde hair is hard to match in fabric, but for Kate, it's been given a dark wrap which her hair hides, so it looks slightly lower. (It suits the tiara I think)

I could be totally off, but to me that indicates it's been prepared for her and this is probably a longer term loan, not a one off wear.

I just tried to imagine what it would have looked like with a white fabric on Kate's dark hair . Changing the the fabric doesn't seem like a big effort to me. But since, until now, the BRF didn't do any tiara swapping, I too assume that Queen Mary's lover's knot is now Catherine's to wear.
Quote:

I too like the scroll and want to see it again. With the veil it was difficult to appreciate the tiara at the wedding and I'd love to see it properly against her dark hair. Most of all I hope that Catherine will switch tiaras as much as possible. Even the most impressive pieces get boring when worn too often (see the Boucheron).
Quote:
It's true that Anne has her two favorites, but she's used at least 5 tiaras.
1. The Halo Scroll Tiara 2. Queen Mary's Fringe 3. The Festoon 4. The Greek Meander 5. The Aquamarine Pineflower Tiara

She's probably used more, I just can't think of them. To me it seems that Diana and Sarah were more the outliers than they were the norm.
Anne has worn the halo scroll only in her youth and the fringe was a one off for her wedding. The aquamarine tiara was a wedding gift from Queen Mum, that festoon a gift from a shipping company. So these two are certainly her private possesions. The meander could be a loan or a gift from the Queen, that's not known. Princess Ann also has used the double meander tiara of Queen Mum once, the only time it was ever seen worn. And she once wore a small pearl bandeau.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:00 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
Anne has worn the halo scroll only in her youth and the fringe was a one off for her wedding. The aquamarine tiara was a wedding gift from Queen Mum, that festoon a gift from a shipping company. So these two are certainly her private possesions. The meander could be a loan or a gift from the Queen, that's not known. Princess Ann also has used the double meander tiara of Queen Mum once, the only time it was ever seen worn. And she once wore a small pearl bandeau.
I don't think it's guaranteed that the Aquamarine Pine Tiara is a private possession. Some rumors say it was given to The Queen first and then passed to Anne. If the Lotus Flower and Persian Turquoise were just loans, then I think there's a good chance that family pieces like the Greek Meander and Aquamarine Pine were just loans too.

I totally forgot about the Double Meander tiara. That would also work as a potential tiara for Harry's wife. It's beautiful without having a history as a main-line piece. I just hope The Queen hasn't fiddled with it in the last 10 years. She likes to play Dr. Frankenstein with the jewels.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:14 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post

A picture of what seems to be the original Cambridge tiara. Here worn by the Princess of Waldburg-Zeil

https://twitter.com/royalmusing/status/674348565393707009
Thank you for the photo - nice pix of the original. fyi: if the above link doesn't work, try:
https://twitter.com/royalmusing/stat...48565393707009
Old 12-09-2015, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I don't think it's guaranteed that the Aquamarine Pine Tiara is a private possession. Some rumors say it was given to The Queen first and then passed to Anne. If the Lotus Flower and Persian Turquoise were just loans, then I think there's a good chance that family pieces like the Greek Meander and Aquamarine Pine were just loans too.
I believe that the pineflower tiara was filmed at the display of her wedding presents, and a present is a present. If it were just a loan, it shouldn't have been there.

We don't know if the Lotus Flower and the Persian Turquoise tiaras were loans. It is well possible that Lord Linley privately offered the Lotus Flower for sale to the Queen. It could be that only the Lotus was a loan, and that they keep the turquoise parure. In the day and age Queen Mum must have believed that her younger daughter and her children will always have use for tiaras. In the 1950's and 60's it was not yet obvious that tiara events would turn out to become so sparse.

So my argument is, that 'lifetime loans' are a newer concept. It's modern because these days only very few ladies have occasions to wear tiaras, only in modern times it makes sense to loan tiaras instead of gifting them.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:30 AM
Serene Highness

In the new daily mail pictures she is not wearing any orders.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:58 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
I believe that the pineflower tiara was filmed at the display of her wedding presents, and a present is a present. If it were just a loan, it shouldn't have been there.

We don't know if the Lotus Flower and the Persian Turquoise tiaras were loans. It is well possible that Lord Linley privately offered the Lotus Flower for sale to the Queen. It could be that only the Lotus was a loan, and that they keep the turquoise parure. In the day and age Queen Mum must have believed that her younger daughter and her children will always have use for tiaras. In the 1950's and 60's it was not yet obvious that tiara events would turn out to become so sparse.

So my argument is, that 'lifetime loans' are a newer concept. It's modern because these days only very few ladies have occasions to wear tiaras, only in modern times it makes sense to loan tiaras instead of gifting them.
I think it had more to do with the UK going from General Estate Duty to adopting Inheritance Tax. By keeping them all possessions of The Queen they avoided crippling fees.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
An interesting quote from that blog (my highlighting). Unfortunatly I don't have Robert's book myself.
Quote:
You'll often see Queen Mary's tiara [...] actually called the Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara, but they're two separate pieces. In The Queen's Diamonds, Hugh Roberts makes it clear that the family refers to the piece as Queen Mary's Lover's Knot Tiara. (Here's the provenance for the Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara; here's the provenance for Queen Mary's Lover's Knot Tiara.)

Closed Thread