The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 06:21 PM
Serene Highness

The way things tend to be in the BRF is that ladies either own or have 'lifetime loans' of their own tiaras, unlike the Swedish or other European Houses, that divide up the 'pool' of jewels as occasion demands. So it seems likely that Harry's wife will be given something else to use.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Until now, the Queen seems to have handed out tiaras as permanent loans to a single person. But who knows if that will be changed in the future? We can only wait and see. But it is amazing that Kate now has worn her third tiara in only four tiara events.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBirds View Post
Catherine looks just magnificent the Cambridge Tiara, just so perfect on her. I am thrilled that she is finally wearing some of the family jewels and we all get to enjoy seeing them again. I think she is wearing a white lace gown, just going by what the picture shows. I would love to see her in a full length picture with William beside her. They make one gorgeous couple.
With Kate's hair swept back and an ice blue evening gown, thought to be the same Alexander McQueen dress that she wore at the 2013 event, it was a regal combination.

Read more: Kate Middleton wears Diana’s favourite tiara for the first time | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Old 12-08-2015, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Hm, it wasn't exactly Diana's favourite. Diana wore the Spencer tiara much more often.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:28 PM
Royal Highness

I get that impression too. However, at this rate, there isn't much left for whoever gets married to Harry, is there? Most of them are already worn by other senior ladies and the most important ones are reserved for the Queen.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
Until now, the Queen seems to have handed out tiaras as permanent loans to a single person. But who knows if that will be changed in the future? We can only wait and see. But it is amazing that Kate now has worn her third tiara in only four tiara events.
I don't think it's so much a lifetime loan as it is a generational loan. Look at the journey of the Cartier Scroll Halo Tiara. It went from QEQM -> Margaret -> Anne -> Catherine. No lifetime loan, just getting moved each time to the next generation.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:33 PM
Gentry

I beg to differ. The pearls are indeed in the tiara. You have to look carefully, and I also used my very good magnifying glass. Because she is so tall, it is hard to see them, but they are indeed there and looking magnificent on her.

As to whether or not enough time has passed, she wears Diana's blue sapphire engagement ring, so I don't see the problem with her wearing Diana's favorite tiara. I am glad she put her hair up.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:33 PM
Aristocracy

Catherine may be "trying out" different tiaras, before choosing one or more for permanent use. Diana was to have said that the Lover's Knot gave her headaches.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
I get that impression too. However, at this rate, there isn't much left for whoever gets married to Harry, is there? Most of them are already worn by other senior ladies and the most important ones are reserved for the Queen.
There are still some tiaras that haven't bee seen for ages: the Teck crescent tiara, the Strathmore rose tiara, the sapphire bandeau, and possibly also the so called 'lozenge bandeau' of Queen Mary. So Harry's wife would be safe.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:36 PM
Nobility

Probably just me being silly but perhaps it was introduced tonight because there aren't going to be proper photos, so its a 'subtle' introduction and why shouldn't she wear it?

But at the end of the day, I am sure there are lots of protocols and discussions about who wears what, so I seriously doubt it's just a case that DoCa went into the tiara vault and demanded to wear it

I had completely forgotten about this event and was engrossed in a TV programme so it was a lovely surprise to come on here and see another tiara occasion
Old 12-08-2015, 06:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Hm, it wasn't exactly Diana's favourite. Diana wore the Spencer tiara much more often.
Yeah, I would hardly call it Diana's favorite. She wore the Spencer Tiara 95% of the time. But the Daily Fail always plays fast and loose with the truth.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:37 PM
Heir Apparent

I think perhaps some of Diana's dislike of the BRF tiaras, and preferring the Spencer tiara, was due to her 'separation' from the BRF itself. She didn't need them for tiaras or titles.

LaRae
Old 12-08-2015, 06:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Diana sometimes wore the Spencer tiara for a change, unless her sister was also present and wore that one. I believe it was a pretty even balance between the two tiaras, depending on the occasion and her outfit.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:41 PM
Majesty

I too was surprised to see Catherine wearing this tiara so soon in her royal career, but I like it. It's a signal that time is moving on. She and William gradually seem to be taking on a more senior role.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
I don't think it's so much a lifetime loan as it is a generational loan. Look at the journey of the Cartier Scroll Halo Tiara. It went from QEQM -> Margaret -> Anne -> Catherine. No lifetime loan, just getting moved each time to the next generation.
You might be right, but I think we can say they were 'long term' loans. While Margaret of Anne had the scroll tiara, they didn't have to share with anyone. At least Diana, Sophie, Sarah and now Camilla all have their exclusive tiaras, not one has been shared between them.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:44 PM
Majesty

Right. I remember that during the Australia/New Zealand and Canadian tours, she's often wear the same evening gown in a different country with a different tiara. It's often the way I can tell which country the picture was taken in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillW View Post
Diana sometimes wore the Spencer tiara for a change, unless her sister was also present and wore that one. I believe it was a pretty even balance between the two tiaras, depending on the occasion and her outfit.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:44 PM
Serene Highness

Also I hope the 'Teck circle' necklace/tiara has been rescued from Linley's grasp, and maybe safely under lock and key in the vaults just waiting for 'Princess Henry'..
Old 12-08-2015, 06:47 PM
Gentry

Diana indeed said the lover's knot tiara gave her headaches. It is a surprisingly heavy tiara, compared to the lighter Spencer family heirloom.

Camilla knows the uproar she would receive if she was ever photographed wearing Diana identified jewelry. So she goes for stuff that was worn more by the QM or the gorgeous jewels Charles has been gifting her with. Much safer.
That is probably another reason why she doesn't go by Princess of Wales either. She is not stupid or unfeeling. She understands how we average folks felt about the late Princess, and she won't do anything to hurt Charles publicly.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well this is the best day ever. How great is it that we've now seen three different tiaras on Kate? I hope she turns out to be the lady who surprises us with creative tiara use

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 12-08-2015, 07:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
There are still some tiaras that haven't bee seen for ages: the Teck crescent tiara, the Strathmore rose tiara, the sapphire bandeau, and possibly also the so called 'lozenge bandeau' of Queen Mary. So Harry's wife would be safe.
Now that we know the Lotus Flower tiara was returned to the vault, it's extremely likely that the Persian Turquoise Tiara was returned too. That would be a good candidate for Harry's wife. Especially if he marries a blue-eyed woman with some flair to her, like Chelsy, Cressida, etc.

Closed Thread