Duchess of Cambridge Jewellery 2: December 2011 - December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much for the explanation. The story of Her Majesty keeping the flowers was very nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Duchess has worn again her diamond bracelet and the Asprey button pendant with diamonds and amethyst yesterday evening at National Portrait Gallery:
What Kate Wore

I love the diamond bracelet too! And thanks for posting information on the Asprey button pendant, I did not realize in the center was an contrasting amethyst.

Diamonds!

The Diamond bracelet worn at the National Portrait Gallery...

v thumbnail cropped from a larger image and not subject to copyright

Attachments

• Diamond Bracelet.jpg
    Diamond Bracelet.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 769
:previous: I'm usually not a fan of chunky jewelry, but this bracelet is very pretty, and goes with what Catherine was wearing.

That's the diamond bracelet that matches the art-deco earrings she's been wearing quite frequently. I really like this set.

I don't think anyone has a problem with this except the paper which is attempting to stir up a tempest in a teapot.

I actually think the newspaper is raising a fair point (and one that had previously crossed my mind) — the gift list that the Prince of Wales' office releases each year does downplay the value of some of the items that the royals receive from governments, organizations, and foreign royals by describing them the same way as gifts of minimal value from members of the general public. A diamond broach and a wooden broach are both a "broach." A ruby necklace and a glass-bead necklace are each called a "necklace." There's nothing wrong with expecting a fuller description of each item. I don't buy the argument put forward in the Daily Mail article by a royal official that to do so would somehow make the gifts from the public seem less valuable or appreciated. I suspect this is really about looking transparent without actually being (fully) transparent.

Having said all that, as a Canadian I have no problem with the NWT government giving Catherine and William diamond jewellery. I just wish they had worn the items later in their visit so we could have seen them.

I remember reading during the Cambridges' visit to Canada that these were diamond and platinum jewelry created by Harry Winston at the time they were presented to the couple. There were also pictures published as well in the media of William and Kate with these pieces. But then, of course, many people don't watch the various activities of the royals with such a keen eye as we forumers do, so it may come as a bit of a surprise to others regarding the value of the gifts. What is of importance to keep in mind is that this jewelry is state property, not personal, so William and Kate can wear the items but not really "keep" them. Hopefully whenever they visit Canada again, we'll get the chance to see them wearing the brooch and cufflinks.

Last edited:
I wonder if you would please reveal your source for saying that these items are the property of the state.
Other such gifts - eg the Maple Leaf brooch are not listed amongst the State Jewels, but rather the personal property of firstly HM the Queen Mother and now HM the Queen who inherited it from her Mother. Gifts are always exchanged on State Visits, "We" tend to give autographed photographs and wooden boxes etc., in no way, shape or form are these treated as State Property.

I believe the rules on gift receiving a number of years ago. While once the gifts belonged to the receiver now they belong to the Crown Collection and the receiver holds them only during their lifetime.

I wonder if you would please reveal your source for saying that these items are the property of the state...
I have no hard source; my information is from discussions here on this thread as well as the thread on the Canada visit, I believe. Perhaps there's a distinction made with state-owned property when it comes to precious jewels and other expensive items as opposed to "mundane" objects like photos, wooden boxes et al.

I see. In the UK, they were reported as being gifts to the Royal Couple, the implication therefore being a personal gift. Just as a couple of years ago the Duchess of Cornwall was given (amongst other items) a magnificent diamond & ruby necklace. Once again a gift and hers to do with as he wishes. The integrity of our Royal Family is such that often they add such gifts to the state collection, but they are under no obligation to do so.
You have missed my point regarding the photographs and box comment - they are our chosen gifts - Arab states (for example) don't produce exquisite china etc., so they give jewellery!

I made the comment about the photos and boxes since you had originally brought them up as examples of your country's gift-giving, therefore I don't believe I missed any point. I realize certain nations, such as the wealthier Middle Eastern ones, prefer to give lavish gifts of jewelry and woven rugs on state visits. The United States has given gifts on the scale of photos, decorative boxes, sculpture, IPods etc. - those are our chosen gifts as well. Other countries might give china or even apparel. And getting into hair-splitting discussions over what constitutes crown property among all this gift-giving is futile. There's probably a distinction made as to what defines crown property and what doesn't depending on the value and purpose of the item, but I can't attest to that. If there is such distinction, then there is the obligation that valuable state-visit gifts must be reported and added to the crown collection.

Going back to the original discussion, as NGalitzine stated, gifts presented to the RF on such occasions belong to the crown collection and the recipient holds it for lifetime. Unfortunately, when the media reports an RF member receiving jewelry, they probably don't make it clear that it's not a personal gift which most likely negatively manipulates public sentiment - the objective of most media. I believe Kate received a pair of boots during her visit to Canada. Is that crown property? It's a functional item, she's entitled to wear them and if she constantly does so, I doubt years from now those boots would be in any condition to put in the royal collection for future generations' use. That's if anyone would even want to wear them! A facetious example, but most likely articles like these have more leeway in what may not be crown property. OTOH, the diamond pin and cufflinks the couple received on the same state visit are of greater value whose purpose is decorative and they can wear them during their lifetime, but they belong to the crown. The diamond and ruby necklace presented to the Duchess of Cornwall was also during a state visit. She too can wear it however she pleases, and most likely modify it if she likes, but it's not personal property so she can't bequeath it to her daughter, for example. And why the integrity of the RF should have even come up at all, I have no idea, unless it stemmed from media innuendo.

And now this ends the discussion for me.:flowers:

The Duchess has worn again the Kiki McDonough green amethyst earrings she wore on Christmas day
What Kate Wore

I love those earrings. Pretty and simple. And the stone looks like it's light blue, not yellow, but that may be just me.

These earrings dangle very nicely in the videos I've seen, they serve as good "work" jewelry- nice but not over the top! Good choice IMO!

These earrings dangle very nicely in the videos I've seen, they serve as good "work" jewelry- nice but not over the top! Good choice IMO!

Until a little one chooses to pull on her ear, because the said earrings are shiny and look oh so pretty :D. Just being facetious, but I did have that happen while working with kids who have special needs. I wasn't mad at the child, just stopped wearing any jewelry that could be grabbed and possibly ripped (and trust me, having an earring pulled is not a very pleasant sensation). However, I do agree that those earrings work great for 'working engagements'. They're not over-the-top, but still elegant and classy.

I just read the 'gift list' - goosh - don't you want to know, how many times the got the same old book? What they do with all the stuff? Can they give the books to public libraries? Or have they to store all the 'i'm sure most 'wonderfull'' -Baseballcaps !!! -

I'm happy, if they get sometimes something they really can appreciate

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading that they do donate some things like extra flowers they receive on walk-abouts to hospitals, nursing homes, etc. I'm sure same can be done with stuffed toys, and books.

I believe the rules on gift receiving a number of years ago. While once the gifts belonged to the receiver now they belong to the Crown Collection and the receiver holds them only during their lifetime.

Actually, this is not the case. If the receipent wishes to retain the gift (which only applies to those gifts received during an official or state visit) as their personal property, then a gift tax must be paid. Otherwise, the gift is considered to be Crown property.

Camilla indicated the jewels she has received from the Saudis were accepted on behalf of the Crown to be worn in right of it. These will be left to The Sovereign and will not be disposed of as her personal property.

I like them as well for the reasons you already mentioned. A pair of earrings that a woman can wear all day long is always classy and timeless! :flowers:

St Patrick's Day Parade, wearing a shamrock brooch worn by the late Queen Mother when she visited the Irish Guards every St Patrick's Day.

St Patrick's Day Parade, wearing a shamrock brooch worn by the late Queen Mother when she visited the Irish Guards every St Patrick's Day.

What a lovely gesture. I like this particular brooch for its' simplicity. It doesn't pop out at you, but gives a quiet type of elegance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom