The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1141  
Old 10-21-2015, 05:43 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 9,146
I've a question. Its been stated that the loan of QEII's wedding bracelet was a very significant loan to make. Has there ever been an occasion where someone else besides HM has worn it?

It is very significant to be loaned pieces from the Queen's vault but probably even more so when its an item that is very personal to the Queen herself.
__________________

__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.”
~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
  #1142  
Old 10-21-2015, 05:52 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: st. paul, United States
Posts: 1,364
Yes, it's a very grand gesture. Like when HM lent Catherine the Nizam of Hyderabad necklace back in 2014.
__________________

  #1143  
Old 10-21-2015, 06:23 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: pinner, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,406
IMO its a gesture of FAR greater significance than the loan of the Hyderabad necklace.. that was of a lovely piece, and a wdding present, but from a foreign prince of no particular closeness to the recipient.
The 'Duke of Edinburgh' bracelet is a gift from a groom to his bride, designed by him using jewels belonging to his mother.
To loan such a significant personal thing, speaks of a closeness and intimacy between the two women beyond anything we knew or suspected previously.
  #1144  
Old 10-21-2015, 06:24 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: st. paul, United States
Posts: 1,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretijean View Post
Couldn't the RFO order be recycled from a previous wearer? I would imagine that Queen Mum's RFO from QEII would have gone back to the vaults. Would William or Harry have Princess Diana's RFO from QEII?
There is also Princess Margaret's RFO and Princess Alice of Gloucester's RFO. That being said I don't think she would wear recycled ivory, either. It would be like a fur industry activist wearing their grandma's mink coat. It doesn't pass the smell test.
  #1145  
Old 10-21-2015, 06:26 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: st. paul, United States
Posts: 1,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
IMO its a gesture of FAR greater significance than the loan of the Hyderabad necklace.. that was of a lovely piece, and a wdding present, but from a foreign prince of no particular closeness to the recipient.
The 'Duke of Edinburgh' bracelet is a gift from a groom to his bride, designed by him using jewels belonging to his mother.
To loan such a significant personal thing, speaks of a closeness and intimacy between the two women beyond anything we knew or suspected previously.
I meant a grand gesture because HM still wears those pieces. In fact, she often wears them in iconic photos. Yet, Catherine is the only person she's lent them to (that we know of). I'm not debating that the bracelet has much more sentiment.
  #1146  
Old 10-21-2015, 08:33 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 12,465
Kate Middleton chooses Princess Margaret's favourite Lotus Flower tiara | Daily Mail Online
  #1147  
Old 10-21-2015, 10:21 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Anderson, United States
Posts: 204
I thought the tiara and earrings looked good together and looked good with the red evening gown. The problem I have is with the bracelets and I haven't quite worked out just what is wrong with them. Both bracelets are so big it almost seemed like they were too heavy for the dress. I particularly did not like the pairing of the DoE bracelet with her engagement ring on her left arm. Both pieces are so massive that I don't think they "play" well with each other. I have tried to picture how she would look with just the bracelet on the right wrist but I don't really think that would help. The tiara and earrings are some what delicate and the bracelets aren't. As I have typed this, I think the better choice would have been the bracelet that is assumed to be a wedding present from Prince Charles would have been a better choice for her right wrist with nothing on the left except her engagement ring. I think either of the bracelets worn to the dinner would look great with a pair of statement earrings and a different dress would look great.
  #1148  
Old 10-21-2015, 10:28 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: ***, Sweden
Posts: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marlboro View Post
I thought the tiara and earrings looked good together and looked good with the red evening gown. The problem I have is with the bracelets and I haven't quite worked out just what is wrong with them. Both bracelets are so big it almost seemed like they were too heavy for the dress. I particularly did not like the pairing of the DoE bracelet with her engagement ring on her left arm. Both pieces are so massive that I don't think they "play" well with each other. I have tried to picture how she would look with just the bracelet on the right wrist but I don't really think that would help. The tiara and earrings are some what delicate and the bracelets aren't. As I have typed this, I think the better choice would have been the bracelet that is assumed to be a wedding present from Prince Charles would have been a better choice for her right wrist with nothing on the left except her engagement ring. I think either of the bracelets worn to the dinner would look great with a pair of statement earrings and a different dress would look great.
You might be feeling the "wonder woman effect". That makes it look more like guard braces. (example: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B3a0h21CMAA_gpl.jpg )

I myslef loved the look, but I can see how someone can find it looking a bit bottom heavy :)
  #1149  
Old 10-21-2015, 10:32 AM
Pranter's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 5,281
Found out the bracelets are both on loan from the Queen...the one on her left wrist was a personal gift from Prince Phillip to the Queen when the married...it was made from his mother's tiara. Also read it's the first time it has ever been loaned.



LaRae
  #1150  
Old 10-21-2015, 10:46 AM
roseroyal's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Rose Bush, United States
Posts: 5,216
That is stunning!
__________________
Best. Photo. Ever. My RH exactly as he was. Soon after we met- Exactly the same look . At Westminster Abbey on his 90th birthday meeting HM. Another day at the office.
  #1151  
Old 10-21-2015, 10:53 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: ***, Sweden
Posts: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Found out the bracelets are both on loan from the Queen...the one on her left wrist was a personal gift from Prince Phillip to the Queen when the married...it was made from his mother's tiara. Also read it's the first time it has ever been loaned.



LaRae
Exactly. And the queens still wears it (most notably for her diamond jubilee portrait) so it's a HUGE loan indeed. Especially since she is rather stingy (compared to other royal families) with loaning jewellry, especially ones she still wears. So I think it's a big deal!
  #1152  
Old 10-21-2015, 10:55 AM
Pranter's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 5,281
Yep me too Hernameispekka ...very significant and says something about their personal relationship.


LaRae
  #1153  
Old 10-21-2015, 11:03 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: st. paul, United States
Posts: 1,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marlboro View Post
I thought the tiara and earrings looked good together and looked good with the red evening gown. The problem I have is with the bracelets and I haven't quite worked out just what is wrong with them. Both bracelets are so big it almost seemed like they were too heavy for the dress. I particularly did not like the pairing of the DoE bracelet with her engagement ring on her left arm. Both pieces are so massive that I don't think they "play" well with each other. I have tried to picture how she would look with just the bracelet on the right wrist but I don't really think that would help. The tiara and earrings are some what delicate and the bracelets aren't. As I have typed this, I think the better choice would have been the bracelet that is assumed to be a wedding present from Prince Charles would have been a better choice for her right wrist with nothing on the left except her engagement ring. I think either of the bracelets worn to the dinner would look great with a pair of statement earrings and a different dress would look great.
The Prince Charles bracelet would have looked out of place without it's matching earrings, and the earrings wouldn't have complimented the Lotus tiara. Not to mention the Prince Charles set contains pale yellow diamonds, an odd pairing with a bright red dress.

If you wanted to see a more delicate bracelet then perhaps her ruby and diamond bracelet would of worked. We haven't seen it since 2011.

Personally, I had no problem with the "Wonder Woman" look as hernameispekka called it.
  #1154  
Old 10-21-2015, 12:22 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 1,355
I think she looked great loved all the jewelry. I know that bracelet must mean a lot to the queen and for her to loan it to is wonderful gesture.
  #1155  
Old 10-21-2015, 02:19 PM
Frelinghighness's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New England, United States
Posts: 4,455
How lovely of the Queen to lend such a personal piece.
  #1156  
Old 10-21-2015, 02:33 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 13,177
It must have touched Catherine that her grandmother-in-law would lend her these precious and personal jewels for her very first (and many more to come) State Banquet. I think it tells us something about the close relationship between The Queen and The Duchess of Cambridge. I know some say The Queen is stingy with jewels, but I'm not sure that's the case anymore.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #1157  
Old 10-21-2015, 02:55 PM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, United States
Posts: 3,775
She's worn the bracelet Charles gave her a few times already, so I'm glad that she picked pieces that we haven't seen her wear. I also didn't mind the "Wonder Woman" look. I thought the bracelets paired quite nicely with the entire outfit.
  #1158  
Old 10-21-2015, 03:01 PM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 4,039
I think that Queen gets the stingy reputation with jewels because she only loans them not gives them. However, to give them to others doesn't make sense. The system to pass the whole lot from monarch to monarch works since its tax free. If the jewels go outside the direct line with one or two generations they are going to be on the auction block to pay taxes like what happened with Princess Margaret's jewelry.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
  #1159  
Old 10-21-2015, 03:04 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: ***, Sweden
Posts: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I think that Queen gets the stingy reputation with jewels because she only loans them not gives them. However, to give them to others doesn't make sense. The system to pass the whole lot from monarch to monarch works since its tax free. If the jewels go outside the direct line with one or two generations they are going to be on the auction block to pay taxes like what happened with Princess Margaret's jewelry.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
I don't think that's it at all. Just that me for example is used to the Swedish sharing mentality where most of it is shared around to who wants or need it at that time.
  #1160  
Old 10-21-2015, 03:06 PM
Princess Robijn's Avatar
Moderator Emeritus
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 2,913
Lovely jewellery for the Duchess. I'm impressed the Queen loaned her the bracelets.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 16: September 2015 - December 2015 dazzling Archives 424 12-31-2015 09:26 AM
The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion, Part 5: October 2011 - December 2011 iceflower Archives 398 12-26-2011 01:00 AM
Duchess of Cambridge Jewellery 1: April-December 2011 Warren Royal Jewels 722 12-20-2011 09:03 AM




Popular Tags
best gown best outfit birthday carl gustaf chris o'neill crown princess mary crown princess victoria current events denmark duchess of cambridge fashion poll general news hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume iceland infanta cristina infanta leonor infanta sofia iñaki urdangarín king felipe king felipe vi king philippe king willem-alexander letizia liechtenstein monarchy news november 2016 october 2016 picture of the week prince alexander prince carl philip prince daniel prince felix prince gabriel prince nicholas prince oscar princess claire of luxembourg princess estelle princess leonore princess madeleine princess of asturias princess sibilla princess sofia princess victoria queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen mathilde queen mathilde daytime fashion queen mathilde fashion queen mathilde style queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania australia november 2016 queen silvia sofia state visit stephanie sweden swedish royal family united kingdom victoria



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:17 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises