The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 06:43 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I've a question. Its been stated that the loan of QEII's wedding bracelet was a very significant loan to make. Has there ever been an occasion where someone else besides HM has worn it?

It is very significant to be loaned pieces from the Queen's vault but probably even more so when its an item that is very personal to the Queen herself.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-21-2015, 06:52 AM
Courtier

Yes, it's a very grand gesture. Like when HM lent Catherine the Nizam of Hyderabad necklace back in 2014.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:23 AM
Serene Highness

IMO its a gesture of FAR greater significance than the loan of the Hyderabad necklace.. that was of a lovely piece, and a wdding present, but from a foreign prince of no particular closeness to the recipient.
The 'Duke of Edinburgh' bracelet is a gift from a groom to his bride, designed by him using jewels belonging to his mother.
To loan such a significant personal thing, speaks of a closeness and intimacy between the two women beyond anything we knew or suspected previously.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:24 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretijean View Post
Couldn't the RFO order be recycled from a previous wearer? I would imagine that Queen Mum's RFO from QEII would have gone back to the vaults. Would William or Harry have Princess Diana's RFO from QEII?
There is also Princess Margaret's RFO and Princess Alice of Gloucester's RFO. That being said I don't think she would wear recycled ivory, either. It would be like a fur industry activist wearing their grandma's mink coat. It doesn't pass the smell test.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:26 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
IMO its a gesture of FAR greater significance than the loan of the Hyderabad necklace.. that was of a lovely piece, and a wdding present, but from a foreign prince of no particular closeness to the recipient.
The 'Duke of Edinburgh' bracelet is a gift from a groom to his bride, designed by him using jewels belonging to his mother.
To loan such a significant personal thing, speaks of a closeness and intimacy between the two women beyond anything we knew or suspected previously.
I meant a grand gesture because HM still wears those pieces. In fact, she often wears them in iconic photos. Yet, Catherine is the only person she's lent them to (that we know of). I'm not debating that the bracelet has much more sentiment.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:33 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Kate Middleton chooses Princess Margaret's favourite Lotus Flower tiara | Daily Mail Online
Old 10-21-2015, 11:21 AM
Aristocracy

I thought the tiara and earrings looked good together and looked good with the red evening gown. The problem I have is with the bracelets and I haven't quite worked out just what is wrong with them. Both bracelets are so big it almost seemed like they were too heavy for the dress. I particularly did not like the pairing of the DoE bracelet with her engagement ring on her left arm. Both pieces are so massive that I don't think they "play" well with each other. I have tried to picture how she would look with just the bracelet on the right wrist but I don't really think that would help. The tiara and earrings are some what delicate and the bracelets aren't. As I have typed this, I think the better choice would have been the bracelet that is assumed to be a wedding present from Prince Charles would have been a better choice for her right wrist with nothing on the left except her engagement ring. I think either of the bracelets worn to the dinner would look great with a pair of statement earrings and a different dress would look great.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:28 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marlboro View Post
I thought the tiara and earrings looked good together and looked good with the red evening gown. The problem I have is with the bracelets and I haven't quite worked out just what is wrong with them. Both bracelets are so big it almost seemed like they were too heavy for the dress. I particularly did not like the pairing of the DoE bracelet with her engagement ring on her left arm. Both pieces are so massive that I don't think they "play" well with each other. I have tried to picture how she would look with just the bracelet on the right wrist but I don't really think that would help. The tiara and earrings are some what delicate and the bracelets aren't. As I have typed this, I think the better choice would have been the bracelet that is assumed to be a wedding present from Prince Charles would have been a better choice for her right wrist with nothing on the left except her engagement ring. I think either of the bracelets worn to the dinner would look great with a pair of statement earrings and a different dress would look great.
You might be feeling the "wonder woman effect". That makes it look more like guard braces. (example: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B3a0h21CMAA_gpl.jpg )

I myslef loved the look, but I can see how someone can find it looking a bit bottom heavy :)
Old 10-21-2015, 11:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Found out the bracelets are both on loan from the Queen...the one on her left wrist was a personal gift from Prince Phillip to the Queen when the married...it was made from his mother's tiara. Also read it's the first time it has ever been loaned.

LaRae
Old 10-21-2015, 11:46 AM
Heir Apparent

That is stunning!
Old 10-21-2015, 11:53 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Found out the bracelets are both on loan from the Queen...the one on her left wrist was a personal gift from Prince Phillip to the Queen when the married...it was made from his mother's tiara. Also read it's the first time it has ever been loaned.

LaRae
Exactly. And the queens still wears it (most notably for her diamond jubilee portrait) so it's a HUGE loan indeed. Especially since she is rather stingy (compared to other royal families) with loaning jewellry, especially ones she still wears. So I think it's a big deal!
Old 10-21-2015, 11:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Yep me too Hernameispekka ...very significant and says something about their personal relationship.

LaRae
Old 10-21-2015, 12:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marlboro View Post
The Prince Charles bracelet would have looked out of place without it's matching earrings, and the earrings wouldn't have complimented the Lotus tiara. Not to mention the Prince Charles set contains pale yellow diamonds, an odd pairing with a bright red dress.

If you wanted to see a more delicate bracelet then perhaps her ruby and diamond bracelet would of worked. We haven't seen it since 2011.

Personally, I had no problem with the "Wonder Woman" look as hernameispekka called it.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:22 PM
Serene Highness

I think she looked great loved all the jewelry. I know that bracelet must mean a lot to the queen and for her to loan it to is wonderful gesture.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:19 PM
Heir Apparent

How lovely of the Queen to lend such a personal piece.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

It must have touched Catherine that her grandmother-in-law would lend her these precious and personal jewels for her very first (and many more to come) State Banquet. I think it tells us something about the close relationship between The Queen and The Duchess of Cambridge. I know some say The Queen is stingy with jewels, but I'm not sure that's the case anymore.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-21-2015, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

She's worn the bracelet Charles gave her a few times already, so I'm glad that she picked pieces that we haven't seen her wear. I also didn't mind the "Wonder Woman" look. I thought the bracelets paired quite nicely with the entire outfit.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:01 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that Queen gets the stingy reputation with jewels because she only loans them not gives them. However, to give them to others doesn't make sense. The system to pass the whole lot from monarch to monarch works since its tax free. If the jewels go outside the direct line with one or two generations they are going to be on the auction block to pay taxes like what happened with Princess Margaret's jewelry.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-21-2015, 04:04 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I think that Queen gets the stingy reputation with jewels because she only loans them not gives them. However, to give them to others doesn't make sense. The system to pass the whole lot from monarch to monarch works since its tax free. If the jewels go outside the direct line with one or two generations they are going to be on the auction block to pay taxes like what happened with Princess Margaret's jewelry.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
I don't think that's it at all. Just that me for example is used to the Swedish sharing mentality where most of it is shared around to who wants or need it at that time.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:06 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Royal Blogger

Lovely jewellery for the Duchess. I'm impressed the Queen loaned her the bracelets.

Closed Thread