Duchess of Cambridge Jewellery 2: December 2011 - December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I won't disagree about the Nike brand, which are made by little children in sweatshops. Wonder where Kiki McDonough's jewelry is made?

It is a London based designer.
As for Nike, and prices, that is how it is, with such designers you pay the price of the brand, not of the actual cost of making it....

Gold in todays market is over $1200.00 per ounce and then you still have to pay the design and labor fees. Good jewelry is expensive. A simple gold wedding ring will cost over $1000.00.

:flowers:Thank you all for your explanations. Spot gold price is currently hovering around US$1,700.And rest assured that I know how the business works. I don't tend to make comments on things I don't know about.

Gold in todays market is over $1200.00 per ounce and then you still have to pay the design and labor fees. Good jewelry is expensive. A simple gold wedding ring will cost over $1000.00.
Simple gold wedding ring for 1000 USD??
Who can afford that?

A lot of people are finding it difficult. I'm glad I don't have to go buy one now.

yes, but how the jewelery market works, if the once of gold it is so expensive the price of this eraring is not really correct if we ad the design and the brnad name, sorry is something I miss but does not close to me!?

I like the fact that William has chosen to patronize a jewelry designer his late mother, Princess Diana liked for Kate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you afford $3,000 for the green amethyst earrings?:lol: But I'm sure there'll be less expensive versions on the market.

Oh For-Cryin'-Out-Loud, Daily Mail!!!:bang: The headline implies that the diamond-and-platinum gifts were somehow a gift that William and Kate received in Hollywood, rather than in Canada. (A gift from some Canadians to their future sovereigns. Just what is the problem here?:bang:) Then the Daily Mail accuses Clarence House by trying to cover up the true value of the gifts by describing them as what they are: a brooch and a set of cufflinks! :bang:

Kate Middleton's Harry Winston diamond 'brooch': Gift from Canada is designer platinum | Mail Online

Don't offend Canadians, Daily Mail. We took Vimy Ridge!;)

For heaven's sake, I read at the time when the brooch and cufflinks were presented in Canada that they were platinum and diamonds. I don't recall anyone's fur flying over that detail then, and I don't see what the fuss is now. Aren't they considered state property anyway since they were given on an official visit, and not personal?

Stirring up that pot of porridge!!!

Yes, I remember reading during the Canada coverage about the platinum and diamond brooch and cufflinks. But since they were presented during a state visit, that makes it state property and not personal, right?

Exactly. Members of Royal Families have been getting official gifts for ages--literally. It's a visible, tangible showing of respect for their position. I think that these items will probably be worn on a future trip to Canada, in the same way that the Queen lent her Maple Leaf brooch to Kate for her first trip here.

The oddest gift I remember is when Andrew and Sarah received a buffalo head on a trip to our west in the 80s. :D

Does Canada not have any master jewelers? Why would Canada have Harry Winston work up their gifts?

The oddest gift I remember is when Andrew and Sarah received a buffalo head on a trip to our west in the 80s.:D

Nice story, thank you!! :lol: Yeah, that's not always funny to be a royal. How hard it must have been for Andrew and Sarah to seem pleased of this gift!!! :ROFLMAO:

Does Canada not have any master jewelers? Why would Canada have Harry Winston work up their gifts?

Harry Winston is owned by a Canadian company - Harry Winston Diamond Corporation. They own a big part of a diamond mine in Canada. I would guess that that's where these diamonds came from.

So that makes sense giving the commission to Harry Winston. Didn't the diamonds come from the Diavik mine?

Yes, I remember reading during the Canada coverage about the platinum and diamond brooch and cufflinks. But since they were presented during a state visit, that makes it state property and not personal, right?
I thought that the whole state property issue is only jewels that the queen receives. What about jewels the late princess Di received, and the saudi rubys for fergie, they seem to be private property

Well William and Catherine may one day reign in Canada so what is the problem with a Canadian territory giving a gift to possible future monarchs? It also highlighted that that particular area is a major producer of diamonds.

Last edited:
here is the complete list of gifts from the prince of wales site. I found it interesting how many jewelry pieces were given that we havent seen (that we know of) ... various earrings (although I do think the turquoise earrings the Duchess wore in Canada we knew were a gift), pendants, necklaces etc. I wonder if her diamond and ruby necklace was one of those gifts.

also note when William went to NZ and Australia prior to the wedding - he was given jewelry (one can assume for Kate).

http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/con...f Cambridge during overseas tours in 2011.pdf

Exactly. The diamonds were a beautiful official gift to two people who were warmly welcomed by this nation. I'm bothered by how the newspaper tried to make it seem that the whole thing was somehow seedy and that Clarence House tried to cover up the value by simply describing them as a brooch and a set of cuff-links. It's the paper that's looking seedy IMO.

Well William and Catherine may one day reign in Canada so what is the problem with a Canadian territory giving a gift to possible future monarchs? It also highlighted that that particular area is a major producer of diamonds.

I have a feeling that a lot of the jewellery they receive on official visits from 'individuals' are given on walkabouts from ordinary members of the public as a token. Probably not of a high monetary value at all but, as Clarence House have pointed out, it's not the value that counts but the thought behind the gift.

Sometimes I'm sure it's from wealthy individuals and worth a lot more, but not in every case.

I don't think anyone has a problem with this except the paper which is attempting to stir up a tempest in a teapot. The innuendos leave a lot to be desired and the tactic is very seedy, as you say.

I have a feeling that a lot of the jewellery they receive on official visits from 'individuals' are given on walkabouts from ordinary members of the public as a token. Probably not of a high monetary value at all but, as Clarence House have pointed out, it's not the value that counts but the thought behind the gift.

Sometimes I'm sure it's from wealthy individuals and worth a lot more, but not in every case.

I was actually wondering about this type of a scenario. Are royals allowed/encouraged to accept gifts from members of the public during walk-abouts, and do they keep the gifts, or give them away? For instance, any pieces of jewelry given by general public would be donated, or put somewhere as keepsakes?

From my own experience of watching many a walkabout, every gift / bunch of flowers received on a walk-about is passed by the Royal immediately to a lady in waiting...equerry...private secretary....and then back to a Royal Car. I have even watched a mayor 'pressed into service' when Princess Diana was on a 'walkabout' and her own staff had temporarily 'run out of hands'.

From my own experience, most people do in fact bring flowers - either in bouquets or singly. I have however seen people hand over photos [sometimes framed] of either the 'visiting royal' or his or her family taken on another occasion. I have seen people hand over teddy bears and other small toys. Sometimes, I have seen children handing over drawings etc.

I am hardly a 'scientific sample', but I have never seen anything 'valuable' handed over.

Flowers are almost always delivered later to hospitals, hospices etc although occasionally, royals might keep a token sample. [ There was a story in one of the better quality newspapers a few years ago that the Queen was presented with a 'home made' bouquet of wild flowers by a young fan, and the queen was so enchanted with the arrangement that she took it back to BP and it was placed on her dressing table. I hope the story was true, because it shows a nice touch on the monarch's part.]

Records are NOT kept of flowers handed over, but anything more sutbstantial is noted as a gift. Sometimes, the giver does note his or her name on the gift, and will then receive an appropriate thank you letter from a lady-in-waiting. If the identity of the donor is not known, then the gift is noted with the identity of the donor being stated as 'unknown'.

In one of the tv documentaries of the monarchy, I can remember an elderly man giving the queen photos that he had taken of her at a previous engagement. HM then passed these back to an aide. IIRC, the aide remarked 'how generous people had been'. From memory, nothing of great value was handed over however.

If the outing is to (say) an agricultural show or a flower show [where there will often be trade stands] the stall holder might well hand over to the visiting royal a sample of his/her goods/ produce etc. These tend to be fairly modest [small garden trug etc]. We used to be told that this practice was frowned upon, but provided the donor does not try to make commercial captial out of it, the gift is usuallly accepted and an appropriate letter of thanks is later sent by a lady in waiting. If the royal outing is to a charity bring-or-buy sale, if the royal sees something he or she wishes, the form is that the stall holder does not give the item free of charge, but presents it to the royal, with a lady-in-waiting etc then producing the money. I saw the Duchess of Kent do this some years ago when she was at a Charity Fair in London - after opening the Fair, the Duchess did a 'walkabout' of the stalls, spotted something she liked and the lady-in-waiting paid.

Following these principles, if a piece of jewellery were given on a walkabout, it would be passed to a royal vehicle and on return to BP etc its receipt would be noted carefully, with donor's name if known. Having said that, I have NEVER seen anything that looks valuable presented on a walkabout.

I hope this helps,
Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom