Duchess of Cambridge Jewellery 2: December 2011 - December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My thoughts entirely- those buttons are so distracting. The brooch appears to be an add on. I can't help but think the designer wasn't expecting it to "compete" with the upper section of the coat.

The brooch was designed for the Queen in, I believe, 1954, so no the designer probably didn't have Kate's specific coat in mind :)

The brooch was designed for the Queen in, I believe, 1954, so no the designer probably didn't have Kate's specific coat in mind :)

I meant the designers of the coat, the Catherine Walker design house :)

I meant the designers of the coat, the Catherine Walker design house :)

Now see, THAT makes more sense :)

Hmm. I actually kind of like the buttons with the brooch, but I can see your point.

Now see, THAT makes more sense :)

Hmm. I actually kind of like the buttons with the brooch, but I can see your point.

I think part of the problem is she's wearing the brooch very close to the buttons. I'm not sure if there's a protocol about where you place brooches, but it could be a little higher IMO.

If there were less buttons, smaller, or if they were fabric-covered there wouldn't have been this scenario.

The buttons and the broach together were ok for me. But I wonder if the broach on the hat would have been more attractive as suggested by a previous poster. The Queen uses her broaches that way sometimes.

I had thought wearing the brooch on the hat might have been a good idea and would have looked lovely, but on second thought it is a significant piece and should have been worn on her coat where it would be seen more clearly. Unfortunately, there was too much competing on the coat for the brooch to stand out.

Last edited:
Perhaps onthe collar then? The red coat's one is big enough...

Maybe the collar may have been a better location to situate the brooch away from the buttons. As another poster mentioned, it's too bad the coat's designer didn't have the brooch in mind when adding those buttons.

Last edited:
Perhaps onthe collar then? The red coat's one is big enough...
Oh no, that would have placed it perfectly for a little boy's hands . . .

Actually, I'm surprised George didn't try to grab one of those giant buttons! :D

Ever since I saw the first pictures of the yacht race in NZ, I have been trying to decide if Kate is very brave or crazy to wear her engagement ring on the boat. I know she now has the eternity band on the other side of her engagement ring but it just seems like she could be courting disaster to wear the engagement ring on the water.

Ever since I saw the first pictures of the yacht race in NZ, I have been trying to decide if Kate is very brave or crazy to wear her engagement ring on the boat. I know she now has the eternity band on the other side of her engagement ring but it just seems like she could be courting disaster to wear the engagement ring on the water.

It's probably fitted pretty exactly and she's not worried about it coming off.

I don't think she's ever been seen without it in public

It's probably fitted pretty exactly and she's not worried about it coming off.

I don't think she's ever been seen without it in public

If it were mine it'd never come off! Can you imagine the speculation in the press if she appeared without it? They would lose their minds!

LaRae

If it were mine it'd never come off! Can you imagine the speculation in the press if she appeared without it? They would lose their minds!

LaRae

I, too, was curious as to why she would wear her engagement ring to the race. I have to believe that she could leave it some place "safe" in her hotel suite without fear of it being stolen.

Frankly, part of me thinks that William insists that she wears it as a reminder to the world of his mother.

I, too, was curious as to why she would wear her engagement ring to the race. I have to believe that she could leave it some place "safe" in her hotel suite without fear of it being stolen.

Frankly, part of me thinks that William insists that she wears it as a reminder to the world of his mother.

I wear mine all the time, and I have no fears that it would slip off. I am sure Catherine is probably reasonably comfortable as well.

Very possible she is wearing a replica with the real ring kept safe while she is doing things that could pose a possible danger.

LaRae

There is only one time she was seen without it, but other than that she seems to wear it quite often. I was surprised she could still wear it while she was pregnant since most women's hands/fingers seem to swell quite a bit.

OMG, you have got to be kidding. It is one thing for William to give Catherine his late mother's engagement ring for their engagement. That is sweet and sentimental.

However, the whole "insists' bit turns a sweet and sentimental gesture into a creepy homage to the dead. Worse, Catherine would know that she didn't actually have an engagement ring and that it was never a gift of love to her, It would always be "a symbol" and she merely the model. I know there are women wearing fantastic, incredible knuckledusters because they represent their husband's financial worth or status and their husbands use them as a trophies. God forbid that William would use the woman he loves in such a way.

I believe that ring is Catherine's engagement ring. End of story.

I never, ever remove my engagement or eternity rings, or wedding ring. Just never happens

I never, ever remove my engagement or eternity rings, or wedding ring. Just never happens

I think that's true for a lot of women, and it makes sense to me that Kate wears hers all the time. It's a symbol of her marriage and probably very important to her.

I think it was in 2012 when she went on a camping trip with children as part of the Expanding Horizons initiative and the activities included working with modelling clay.

I think it was in 2012 when she went on a camping trip with children as part of the Expanding Horizons initiative and the activities included working with modelling clay.

Thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom