Duchess of Cambridge Jewellery 2: December 2011 - December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, that's a piece of jewelry! From the Cartier Trinity collection. On the Cartier website, you must contact them for pricing. Pretty sure it would cost more than 49,000. In US$ the starting price of a diamond encrusted Trinity ring is over 16,000. I'm a big Cartier fan. Perhaps Kate didn't want a Trinity ring like the other royal ladies. This is a fine substitute.

When I click on Alyend's link, the price is shown as £49,000 ('including consumption tax' which I assume means VAT/sales tax?).

It's a beautiful piece. The 3 different colours of gold with the pave diamonds is very contemporary, yet quite subtle.

It's beautiful and appropriate - but she'll get some bad press over it. If it was a gift, I wish that her office had been more specific.

I think it is great that she is adding a substantial modern pieces to her collection. it is a fabulous necklace and very classic - she will get alot of wear out of it. I like the long necklace look on her -she went there at Wimbledon as well. Kate tends to like cleaner lines in her clothing and this kind of necklace adds great interest without being boring. She doesnt appear to be a brooch girl (i think it is too old of look for her) - but this is great.

and I agree - a gift from either Charles or William. It seems very Charles to me - a way to spoil her. I dont think William would buy something like that - I would expect him to be a bit more safe.

Last edited:
When I click on Alyend's link, the price is shown as £49,000 ('including consumption tax' which I assume means VAT/sales tax?).

It's a beautiful piece. The 3 different colours of gold with the pave diamonds is very contemporary, yet quite subtle.

The Alyend link knows me and redirects me to the US site. Pricing is different among their various locations.

Last edited:
Meh...I'm not impressed. Why not a timeless pearl choker? :ermm:

Duchessmary said:
Meh...I'm not impressed. Why not a timeless pearl choker? :ermm:

Because it's old on a 30 year old woman. Leave the chokers to Camilla and HM.

I agree, Lumutqueen. There's plenty of time for Kate to wear the pearls when she's in her 50s.

I feel that Charles would go for something a bit more conservative than this. The style and length of this piece is more contemporary, to me anyway, and I would think William would be more likely to buy her a piece like that.

Could it not be a gift from her parents?

Because it's old on a 30 year old woman. Leave the chokers to Camilla and HM.

IA. I'm in Kate's age range, and if I had to pick between the pearl choker/stone and what she wore today, the latter wins hands down. What she wore today is something I'd wear. In fact, I could use a classic piece like that one that is very multi-functional--just a less expensive one.;)

That said, I occassionally wear pearl necklaces. I think they're timeless, classic, and ageless. But, I wouldn't wear them everyday, and I'd definitley draw the line at wearing something similar to what Camilla and HM wear (though they wear those chokers very well). It does age a person imo.

Could it not be a gift from her parents?

I know that the Middletons bought Kate a very impressive pair of earrings for her wedding, but I'm not sure they'd be the kind of parents to spend the guts of £50k on their child's birthday. It's not impossible, they're certainly wealthy enough, but I just don't really see it. Particularly not if they're planning to buy a new multi-million pound house (with or without William's help).

£49,000 for their eldest child's 30th birthday isn't an unimaginable stretch for me to believe.

For me it's almost unbelievable that Charles and William would drop that amount for Catherine, William loves her and Charles gets on well with his daughter-in-law but £49,000? That's a lot for one gift we probably won't see again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Princess Diana had the ring from this same collection, which indicates to me that it's more likely to have come from Charles or William. They also both have the wealth to do it.

Princess Anne, The Duchess of Gloucester and Sarah Ferguson also have the 'trinity ring'. But Catherine doesn't have one, whilst you can assume this was a replacement I don't. William and Charles have wealth but £49,000 for a necklace? I just don't see it from Charles, William maybe but i'm shocked if it was from them.

I actually wouldn't be surprised in the least if either Charles or William (or the Middletons) purchased this necklace for Catherine. They certainly have the means and I am sure they (at least Charles has) have purchased jewelry for this amount at some point. And I wouldn't be surprised if this necklace doesn't pop up from time to time.

Its a timeless piece.

I think it is a Charles gift - it is extravagant... and he has never had a daughter to spoil. possibly William - but it just seems more Charles to me. If William can get a 'cottage' for his 30th bday from the Queen, it makes perfect sense to me that Charles could buy his 'darling daughter-in-law' a fabulous Cartier necklace.

I would rule out her parents - there are 2 other kids... that is setting the bar pretty high for future bdays.

If it was a gift from Charles, that is one nice gift. Very generous gift. The necklace is really pretty.

Wouldn't mind having him for a father-in-law lol :)

I would rule out her parents - there are 2 other kids... that is setting the bar pretty high for future bdays.
Hahahahaha! :ROFLMAO: I think you're right there.

I don't think Will is sophisticated enough to select this (unless he had some help). He's a 30 year old straight guy. If she were carrying around a giant stuffed animal, I'd think, "Oh, that must be a gift from William."

So I too vote "Charles."

That just cracked me up! :lol: And I agree.

I actually agree it is likely a present from Prince Charles. Somehow, it seems a lot like Charles to show his appreciated for his daughter-in-law with a gift like that.
Of course, that's just a guess; it might have been gift from a really close (and generous) friend, William, the Middletons, or Kate might have bought it herself.

Last edited:
Charles or William got that one.
It's not my style personally...but it's sparkly!

...or it could have been a B/D gift from HM & PP.

Seeing as how Catherine joins Charles for trips to the opera and art galleries, he probably does adore her and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he'd gifted her with such a necklace. My guess is that it was a wedding present, but if she got it for her birthday or anniversary, that's great as well.

I think it's a beautiful piece! I know when I was looking at news photos of the event that I thought the dress was a little on the plain side but I loved the necklace. After learning it was a Cartier necklace, now I know why! And I know it's a little silly of me but I WANT to see her wearing more of the good jewelry. She's a Duchess! And a future Queen! The haters can go whine elsewhere, I want to live vicariously through her. No one puts up a fuss when a movie star or rock star breaks out major jewelry to an event, so why should Catherine get knocked for it?

If she were carrying around a giant stuffed animal, I'd think, "Oh, that must be a gift from William."
or a puppy. or nice safe earrings from a jeweler that he knows she frequents. nice safe husband gifts

Hello magazine quotes a St James's palace spokeman in their article about it saying that the necklace is a personal piece that she has had it for quite some time. So maybe it a gift for finishing St Andrews instead of a 30th birthday present.

Last edited:
Maybe it could be gift from Camilla? I just think for 49,000 pounds it should be sparkling alot more.

For me it's almost unbelievable that Charles and William would drop that amount for Catherine, William loves her and Charles gets on well with his daughter-in-law but £49,000? That's a lot for one gift we probably won't see again.

Seriously? £49k is chicken feed to these people. Charles spends £3k a time on a pair of shoes, he buys Faberge stationary accessories. He has an annual income of some £18 million. You really think he'd bat an eyelash at spending £49k on his 'darling daughter-in-law' with whom he enjoys much in common (evenings out at the opera and art galleries)?

Charles has a past record of spending huge sums of money on jewellery for the women in his life. Kate may only have been a member of his family for a little over a year, but he's known her for a lot longer. I have no doubt that Charles would be very generous with Kate, particularly given how well she's fitted into his family, and the BRF generally.

It's an attractive piece but a very steep pricetag; at least she's starting to wear statement jewelry for daywear. I wonder if there are matching earrings to this chain. Maybe William gifted it to her with Charles' help.

Last edited:
William wouldn't needs Charles's help. As someone else pointed out, this is not a hardship for either of them to purchase these sorts of gifts, independent of each other.

LaRae

:previous:I meant help in terms of advice, not financially. Lord knows William is loaded!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom