Duchess of Cambridge Jewellery 2: December 2011 - December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hideous necklace. Ruined the outfit.

Smetimes these royal ladies make me mad! They have the possibility to wear the most beautiful jewel pieces in the world, and they wear hideous, cheep looking fake pieces, like this Zara uggly item.

Smetimes these royal ladies make me mad! They have the possibility to wear the most beautiful jewel pieces in the world, and they wear hideous, cheep looking fake pieces, like this Zara uggly item.

I agree. This necklace was not the place for the type of event and dress she was wearing. HRH Princess Beatrice wore the exact same necklace a few days ago out to a casual dinner--a much more appropriate place for costume jewels.

I must admit I do feel cheated when they wear costume. Her late mil is always mentioned as wearing some costume, but she brought out the bling on a regular basis.

I suspect that as William and Catherine start to attend more evening events like this, Catherine will start to get access to more jewellery and start to wear more of it.

I suspect that as William and Catherine start to attend more evening events like this, Catherine will start to get access to more jewellery and start to wear more of it.

This is probably true. Doubt HM The Queen is just lending Catherine diamonds and jewels to go to movie premieres.

It was not a ball, but a reception.

Thanks for the correction. The Daily Mail article said that it was a ball, but then again, it is The Daily Mail... ;)

I think the necklace Catherine wore to the premier of the Mandela Film was a bit much, and was quite dissapointed to find out that the "diamonds" weren't real!

Last edited:
The DoC could have easily strung together some of the Collets and Rivieres in the collection to make a real and bigger statement rather than the fake necklace. Where is Queen Mary when you need her.

I don't think she has access to the royal jewels from what I have read the queen doesn't loan out a lot of her Jewelry.

I like the necklace but not with the outfit. She'd have been better off wearing a long necklace or pendant with earrings, or just statement earrings alone.

Last edited:
Hideous necklace. Ruined the outfit.

If anything ruined the outfit IMHO it was her hairstyle! Sloppiest ponytail ever!

I wouldn't have expected real jewels for this occasion. If she had sh.e probably would've faced some kind of backlash due to Mandela's death. Detractors can always find some angle, no matter how crazy. Besides, Princess Margaret wore fake jewels too.

If anything ruined the outfit IMHO it was her hairstyle! Sloppiest ponytail ever!

I wouldn't have expected real jewels for this occasion. If she had sh.e probably would've faced some kind of backlash due to Mandela's death. Detractors can always find some angle, no matter how crazy. Besides, Princess Margaret wore fake jewels too.

So did Diana. I wasn't overly fond of the necklace at all either but its obviously well liked enough that it has sold out.

I was astounded to see the Lotus Tiara re-emerge again---and gave a long sigh of relief as I was convinced it had remained with Linley. Dare we hope the Teck Turquoise Parure was returned to the vaults as well? It would certainly be most exciting to see HRH The Duchess of Cornwall with that parure!
The earrings HRH The Duchess of Cambridge wore with this tiara--I've read the were given to her by the Queen from her collection but I cannot recollect having seen them before. Can anyone provide more information on their provenance?

:previous: Thanks for spotting this Annaelfka. I hadn't noticed the necklace. It's very pretty.

That doesn't track. The death of Nelson Mandala was announced during the premiere. Nobody could possibly expect Catherine to have second sight!

Believe me, I'm sure no one would have faulted the Queen if she had attended the premiere dripping in diamonds with the same outcome.

Last edited:
I absolutely adore the Duchess of Cambridge and appreciate that due to the economic situation in the U.K. combined with efforts to modernise the monarchy requires the perception of financial responsibility. That said the "I am a regular person just like you" persona of the Duchess is starting to seem a bit contrived. We know that she owns some substantial jewels (diamond and ruby necklace) yet shows up at red carpet functions in Cracker Jack box jewels.

:previous: I agree. She seems to be sending mixed messages. One week she's a thrifty mum shopping the High Street and the next it is bespoke. Both of those images were quite clear cut but, now she is mixing the two. I mean really, a couture gown and a very brassy, tacky bit of fake.

It's not as if she doesn't have appropriate jewellery, just that she seems to be saying "well my dress may cost four figures but that's OK, I economised on the 20 pound necklace". Contrived? I would say yes.

This poor woman, much like her mother-in-law and step-mother-in-law, is always going to be damned if she does, damned if she doesn't. At the end of the day I am sure she is a very lovely, down to earth lady. I like her mix of jewelry. She, William and Harry put a modern, human face on today's Monarchy.

I like the fact given her age and rank, she mixes pieces quite well and does not go over the top.

:previous: I agree. She seems to be sending mixed messages. One week she's a thrifty mum shopping the High Street and the next it is bespoke. Both of those images were quite clear cut but, now she is mixing the two. I mean really, a couture gown and a very brassy, tacky bit of fake.

It's not as if she doesn't have appropriate jewellery, just that she seems to be saying "well my dress may cost four figures but that's OK, I economised on the 20 pound necklace". Contrived? I would say yes.

I think you are over egging this. Looking for issues where there aren't any. She isn't as devious as you would like us to think.

I liked the fake. I have some very good pieces but if I find costume jewellery that makes a change I'll buy it and wear it. Lots of royals do this, particularly the BRF.

What I liked even more was the flurry whilst people thought it was real! :whistling:

Marg, I actually own the exact necklace that you are speaking of and although it is not the a diamond sparkler straight out of the Queen's vault, it is still quite lovely. It's a surprisingly well made piece with quite a bit of weight to it, nothing tinny or cheap (other than the price) about it. I would also like to add that many famous women in history have sported costume jewelry quite successfully, Princess Diana being one. Also, 80% of the late Jackie Kennedy's jewelry was,if fact, fake. I think the Duchess is actually quite brilliant in her choices. I love the fact that although she could very easily go and ask her Grandmother-in-Law for something spectacular from the vault, she prefers to stay true to herself.

Lady M:
Your so right, I think all royal women are in the position that regardless of what they do, someone will always complain and say nasty things about them, that goes for all of us in this world, we can *Never* please everyone regardless of what we/they do. I think Catherine is a strong woman and she has a husband who will watch her back and make sure that the same doesn't happen to her that happened to his mother. I love the necklace that she wore with that dreamy cream colored gown, tried to find one and they are all gone........

Very good that Catherine is getting into those vaults.

Very good that Catherine is getting into those vaults.

How true... perhaps it lends some credence to reports that the Duchess will 'step up the jewels a notch' for the forthcoming tour to New Zealand, and Australia ?

The only reason she'd step it up is if there was a reason to.

The necklace is lovely, but it's hidden by that boring hair.

That necklace is gorgeous. I want to take a hold of her hair and yell "GET IT OFF YOUR FACE!!!"

:ermm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom