The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Heir Apparent

So that makes sense giving the commission to Harry Winston. Didn't the diamonds come from the Diavik mine?

Old 01-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Yes, I remember reading during the Canada coverage about the platinum and diamond brooch and cufflinks. But since they were presented during a state visit, that makes it state property and not personal, right?
I thought that the whole state property issue is only jewels that the queen receives. What about jewels the late princess Di received, and the saudi rubys for fergie, they seem to be private property

Old 01-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Well William and Catherine may one day reign in Canada so what is the problem with a Canadian territory giving a gift to possible future monarchs? It also highlighted that that particular area is a major producer of diamonds.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I just found this. Harry Winston owns 40% of the diamond mine.

Harry Winston Diamond Corporation
I see. Thx for the info.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Courtier

here is the complete list of gifts from the prince of wales site. I found it interesting how many jewelry pieces were given that we havent seen (that we know of) ... various earrings (although I do think the turquoise earrings the Duchess wore in Canada we knew were a gift), pendants, necklaces etc. I wonder if her diamond and ruby necklace was one of those gifts.

also note when William went to NZ and Australia prior to the wedding - he was given jewelry (one can assume for Kate).

http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/cont...0in%202011.pdf
Old 01-11-2012, 02:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Exactly. The diamonds were a beautiful official gift to two people who were warmly welcomed by this nation. I'm bothered by how the newspaper tried to make it seem that the whole thing was somehow seedy and that Clarence House tried to cover up the value by simply describing them as a brooch and a set of cuff-links. It's the paper that's looking seedy IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Well William and Catherine may one day reign in Canada so what is the problem with a Canadian territory giving a gift to possible future monarchs? It also highlighted that that particular area is a major producer of diamonds.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

I have a feeling that a lot of the jewellery they receive on official visits from 'individuals' are given on walkabouts from ordinary members of the public as a token. Probably not of a high monetary value at all but, as Clarence House have pointed out, it's not the value that counts but the thought behind the gift.

Sometimes I'm sure it's from wealthy individuals and worth a lot more, but not in every case.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think anyone has a problem with this except the paper which is attempting to stir up a tempest in a teapot. The innuendos leave a lot to be desired and the tactic is very seedy, as you say.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I have a feeling that a lot of the jewellery they receive on official visits from 'individuals' are given on walkabouts from ordinary members of the public as a token. Probably not of a high monetary value at all but, as Clarence House have pointed out, it's not the value that counts but the thought behind the gift.

Sometimes I'm sure it's from wealthy individuals and worth a lot more, but not in every case.
I was actually wondering about this type of a scenario. Are royals allowed/encouraged to accept gifts from members of the public during walk-abouts, and do they keep the gifts, or give them away? For instance, any pieces of jewelry given by general public would be donated, or put somewhere as keepsakes?

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Courtier

From my own experience of watching many a walkabout, every gift / bunch of flowers received on a walk-about is passed by the Royal immediately to a lady in waiting...equerry...private secretary....and then back to a Royal Car. I have even watched a mayor 'pressed into service' when Princess Diana was on a 'walkabout' and her own staff had temporarily 'run out of hands'.

From my own experience, most people do in fact bring flowers - either in bouquets or singly. I have however seen people hand over photos [sometimes framed] of either the 'visiting royal' or his or her family taken on another occasion. I have seen people hand over teddy bears and other small toys. Sometimes, I have seen children handing over drawings etc.

I am hardly a 'scientific sample', but I have never seen anything 'valuable' handed over.

Flowers are almost always delivered later to hospitals, hospices etc although occasionally, royals might keep a token sample. [ There was a story in one of the better quality newspapers a few years ago that the Queen was presented with a 'home made' bouquet of wild flowers by a young fan, and the queen was so enchanted with the arrangement that she took it back to BP and it was placed on her dressing table. I hope the story was true, because it shows a nice touch on the monarch's part.]

Records are NOT kept of flowers handed over, but anything more sutbstantial is noted as a gift. Sometimes, the giver does note his or her name on the gift, and will then receive an appropriate thank you letter from a lady-in-waiting. If the identity of the donor is not known, then the gift is noted with the identity of the donor being stated as 'unknown'.

In one of the tv documentaries of the monarchy, I can remember an elderly man giving the queen photos that he had taken of her at a previous engagement. HM then passed these back to an aide. IIRC, the aide remarked 'how generous people had been'. From memory, nothing of great value was handed over however.

If the outing is to (say) an agricultural show or a flower show [where there will often be trade stands] the stall holder might well hand over to the visiting royal a sample of his/her goods/ produce etc. These tend to be fairly modest [small garden trug etc]. We used to be told that this practice was frowned upon, but provided the donor does not try to make commercial captial out of it, the gift is usuallly accepted and an appropriate letter of thanks is later sent by a lady in waiting. If the royal outing is to a charity bring-or-buy sale, if the royal sees something he or she wishes, the form is that the stall holder does not give the item free of charge, but presents it to the royal, with a lady-in-waiting etc then producing the money. I saw the Duchess of Kent do this some years ago when she was at a Charity Fair in London - after opening the Fair, the Duchess did a 'walkabout' of the stalls, spotted something she liked and the lady-in-waiting paid.

Following these principles, if a piece of jewellery were given on a walkabout, it would be passed to a royal vehicle and on return to BP etc its receipt would be noted carefully, with donor's name if known. Having said that, I have NEVER seen anything that looks valuable presented on a walkabout.

I hope this helps,
Alex
Old 01-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Majesty

Thank you so much for the explanation. The story of Her Majesty keeping the flowers was very nice.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

The front page of tomorrow's Daily Express has the headline 'The bling king behind Kate's diamond gift'. The story isn't up on their website yet. Anyone seen anything on Twitter etc?

Front page for reference:

Daily Express Saturday 14th January 2012 | Front page | PoliticsHome
Old 02-09-2012, 05:41 AM
Aristocracy

The Duchess has worn again her diamond bracelet and the Asprey button pendant with diamonds and amethyst yesterday evening at National Portrait Gallery:
What Kate Wore
Old 02-09-2012, 06:54 AM
Nobility

I love that diamond bracelet.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

I love the diamond bracelet too! And thanks for posting information on the Asprey button pendant, I did not realize in the center was an contrasting amethyst.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Diamonds!

The Diamond bracelet worn at the National Portrait Gallery...

v thumbnail cropped from a larger image and not subject to copyright
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Majesty

I'm usually not a fan of chunky jewelry, but this bracelet is very pretty, and goes with what Catherine was wearing.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Heir Apparent

That's the diamond bracelet that matches the art-deco earrings she's been wearing quite frequently. I really like this set.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:55 AM
Nobility

another closer photo of that bracelet
http://www.bew.com.pl/LT_7_5_7_020568757/bew139DAB5.jpg
Old 02-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
I don't think anyone has a problem with this except the paper which is attempting to stir up a tempest in a teapot.
I actually think the newspaper is raising a fair point (and one that had previously crossed my mind) — the gift list that the Prince of Wales' office releases each year does downplay the value of some of the items that the royals receive from governments, organizations, and foreign royals by describing them the same way as gifts of minimal value from members of the general public. A diamond broach and a wooden broach are both a "broach." A ruby necklace and a glass-bead necklace are each called a "necklace." There's nothing wrong with expecting a fuller description of each item. I don't buy the argument put forward in the Daily Mail article by a royal official that to do so would somehow make the gifts from the public seem less valuable or appreciated. I suspect this is really about looking transparent without actually being (fully) transparent.

Having said all that, as a Canadian I have no problem with the NWT government giving Catherine and William diamond jewellery. I just wish they had worn the items later in their visit so we could have seen them.