The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I won't disagree about the Nike brand, which are made by little children in sweatshops. Wonder where Kiki McDonough's jewelry is made?
It is a London based designer.
As for Nike, and prices, that is how it is, with such designers you pay the price of the brand, not of the actual cost of making it....

Old 12-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Courtier

Gold in todays market is over $1200.00 per ounce and then you still have to pay the design and labor fees. Good jewelry is expensive. A simple gold wedding ring will cost over $1000.00.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you all for your explanations. Spot gold price is currently hovering around US$1,700.And rest assured that I know how the business works. I don't tend to make comments on things I don't know about.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma828 View Post
Gold in todays market is over $1200.00 per ounce and then you still have to pay the design and labor fees. Good jewelry is expensive. A simple gold wedding ring will cost over $1000.00.
Simple gold wedding ring for 1000 USD??
Who can afford that?
Old 12-28-2011, 11:50 PM
Courtier

A lot of people are finding it difficult. I'm glad I don't have to go buy one now.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

yes, but how the jewelery market works, if the once of gold it is so expensive the price of this eraring is not really correct if we ad the design and the brnad name, sorry is something I miss but does not close to me!?
Old 01-03-2012, 07:13 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Get the earrings of the Duchess of Cambridge
Consigue los pendientes de la Duquesa de Cambridge | Fashion Assistance

Google Google Translate
Old 01-03-2012, 07:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

I like the fact that William has chosen to patronize a jewelry designer his late mother, Princess Diana liked for Kate.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Serene Highness

how much are those earrings? i love that look
Old 01-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Can you afford $3,000 for the green amethyst earrings? But I'm sure there'll be less expensive versions on the market.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:36 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Kate, Duchess of diamonds: Gift from Canada listed by officials as 'brooch' is revealed to be designer platinum with 302 stones | Mail Online
Old 01-11-2012, 07:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks for posting this was an interesting article! I love the polar bear brooch.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Oh For-Cryin'-Out-Loud, Daily Mail!!! The headline implies that the diamond-and-platinum gifts were somehow a gift that William and Kate received in Hollywood, rather than in Canada. (A gift from some Canadians to their future sovereigns. Just what is the problem here?) Then the Daily Mail accuses Clarence House by trying to cover up the true value of the gifts by describing them as what they are: a brooch and a set of cufflinks!

Kate Middleton's Harry Winston diamond 'brooch': Gift from Canada is designer platinum | Mail Online

Don't offend Canadians, Daily Mail. We took Vimy Ridge!
Old 01-11-2012, 10:42 AM
Heir Apparent

For heaven's sake, I read at the time when the brooch and cufflinks were presented in Canada that they were platinum and diamonds. I don't recall anyone's fur flying over that detail then, and I don't see what the fuss is now. Aren't they considered state property anyway since they were given on an official visit, and not personal?

Stirring up that pot of porridge!!!

Yes, I remember reading during the Canada coverage about the platinum and diamond brooch and cufflinks. But since they were presented during a state visit, that makes it state property and not personal, right?
Old 01-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Exactly. Members of Royal Families have been getting official gifts for ages--literally. It's a visible, tangible showing of respect for their position. I think that these items will probably be worn on a future trip to Canada, in the same way that the Queen lent her Maple Leaf brooch to Kate for her first trip here.

The oddest gift I remember is when Andrew and Sarah received a buffalo head on a trip to our west in the 80s.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Does Canada not have any master jewelers? Why would Canada have Harry Winston work up their gifts?
Old 01-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
The oddest gift I remember is when Andrew and Sarah received a buffalo head on a trip to our west in the 80s.
Nice story, thank you!! Yeah, that's not always funny to be a royal. How hard it must have been for Andrew and Sarah to seem pleased of this gift!!!
Old 01-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
...since they were presented during a state visit, that makes it state property and not personal, right?
Yes. As I understand, it was an official gift.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Does Canada not have any master jewelers? Why would Canada have Harry Winston work up their gifts?
Harry Winston is owned by a Canadian company - Harry Winston Diamond Corporation. They own a big part of a diamond mine in Canada. I would guess that that's where these diamonds came from.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Heir Apparent

I just found this. Harry Winston owns 40% of the diamond mine.

Harry Winston Diamond Corporation

Quote: