Duchess of Cambridge Jewellery 2: December 2011 - December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Duchess of Cambridge Jewellery 2: December 2011 -

The Halo tiara would be lovely to be seen again, particularly with the wedding earrings which complemented it beautifully. However, when Kate wore a second tiara I was of the opinion that the Halo might not be the 'go to ' tiara for Kate - it was perhaps chosen to best suit the headdress and was light for Kate to wear rather than with a long term loan in mind. Now that she has worn the Lover's Knot, I feel it's even less likely she'll wear the Halo. As other posters have noted, Princess Anne's didn't continue to wear the tiara she chose for her wedding. IMO, only those gorgeous wedding earrings, which must surely be seen again soon, provide the hope for the Halo to make an early return.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

On her wedding day, Kate is wearing a tiara for a long time. Much longer than if she was attending a state dinner. So it would make sense to go with a lighter tiara for the wedding and then try out more substantial tiara for the state tiara events.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

In any case, Catherine having Diana's signature tiara is a snub to Camilla. I can't help seeing it any other way.

I think if Camilla were to be offered the Lover's Knot tiara, she would turn it down without hesitation. It is simply too closely identified with Diana. Why would Camilla want to subject herself to the criticism she would receive, when she has plenty of other jewels to choose from?

It's one thing for the wife of Diana's elder son to wear it; it's quite another for her successor.

The idea of Diana, or any royal really, having a signature tiara is such a nonsense.

99% of the general public couldn't tell any of the tiaras or other jewels worn by the RF apart if they tripped over them in their living rooms. For the tiny, tiny minority who are royal watchers this may not be the case, but most people just see a royal wearing 'a tiara'. The notion that anyone else would look at the pictures of Kate wearing this tiara and say to themselves, "look, she's wearing Diana's tiara!" is so fanciful as to be laughable. In reality, it wasn't 'made iconic' by Diana or 'so closely associated with her by the general public' so there simply was no need for this tiara to sit in the vaults for so long. This myth needs to die.

The papers have made a bit of a thing of it, but that's just their usual game of coming up with fluff pieces comparing Kate with Diana.

The only British royal who might, at a push, have a 'signature' tiara is the Queen with the Girls of GB&I or the George IV state diadem, but even that is a stretch.

Last edited:
In any case, Catherine having Diana's signature tiara is a snub to Camilla. I can't help seeing it any other way.

how so? i see no snub to camilla. the tiara was worn by diana and now by her daughter in law - it is fitting and in no way imparts any negative thoughts on camilla.

i hope we see her in this tiara for the spanish state visit. it would be the perfect time to bring it out.

I like the Halo Scroll Tiara as well, but...why wouldn't she wear it when she becomes Princess of Wales? Because of the small size?
What I like about Queen Maxima is that she wears small and big tiaras, she has great diversity. Catherine could switch between diferent tiaras whenever she wants when she becomes Princess of Wales and future Queen, there's no need to stop wearing tiaras just because they're small in size.

It's less about the size and more about the history. QEQM, Margaret, and Anne all briefly wore it as a "starter" tiara when they were young women. Then as they became more immersed in royal duties they graduated to other tiaras, and the Halo Scroll was left behind. I'm worried history is repeating for the fourth time. If Catherine doesn't wear it again in the next year or two, we likely won't see it again until an early-twenties Charlotte wears it.

The Halo tiara would be lovely to be seen again, particularly with the wedding earrings which complemented it beautifully. However, when Kate wore a second tiara I was of the opinion that the Halo might not be the 'go to ' tiara for Kate - it was perhaps chosen to best suit the headdress and was light for Kate to wear rather than with a long term loan in mind. Now that she has worn the Lover's Knot, I feel it's even less likely she'll wear the Halo. As other posters have noted, Princess Anne's didn't continue to wear the tiara she chose for her wedding. IMO, only those gorgeous wedding earrings, which must surely be seen again soon, provide the hope for the Halo to make an early return.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Exactly.

I was pleased to see Catherine in the Lovers Knot tiara; looks great with her dark hair.

The papers have made a bit of a thing of it, but that's just their usual game of coming up with fluff pieces comparing Kate with Diana.

I think the papers also need to realise that there's a whole new (now large) generation that have grown up and are young adults who never 'knew' Diana, like us older people. Even is she had still been alive, in this day of the Cult of Youth, Diana would have been in her mid 50s and so less relevant. In saying so, I do look back on my younger days, and Diana's younger days (we're the same age) and feel a bit wistful at those days gone by; she was so lovely. But so is Catherine, albeit in a different way. I'm glad to see she is now wearing more substantial 'princess' jewellery.

I've never seen a 2nd wife wear the 1st wife's jewelry. In such a public case, I would find it almost idiotic. Jewelry has always gone to daughters and daughter in laws.

I've never seen a 2nd wife wear the 1st wife's jewelry. In such a public case, I would find it almost idiotic. Jewelry has always gone to daughters and daughter in laws.

Princess Lilian de Réthy famously wore a lot of the jewellery previously worn by Queen Astrid, the first wife of her husband King Leopold III of Belgium. She even wore some of the jewellery gifted to Astrid at her wedding.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I don't see it as a fluff piece it was know as Diana's so it's only natural to make comment about Diana wearing it. You can't write Diana out no matter how much some people would like to. I'd expect them to write a story about it I'd be shocked if they didn't.

Princess Lilian de Réthy famously wore a lot of the jewellery previously worn by Queen Astrid, the first wife of her husband King Leopold III of Belgium. She even wore some of the jewellery gifted to Astrid at her wedding.

Haha, yeah. I mean, among us mortals we might not do it. But I am sure alot of "second ladies" have worn family tiaras of the husband etc. Isn't Dianas brother for example remarried? I have no doubt that both wives have used the same tiaras and lived in the same houses with alot of the same furniture. It's another world than ours.

I don't think Astrid and Lilian overlapped as Leopold's love interest. That changes the dynamic. Women may share men or they may share jewelry but rarely do they share both.

Last edited:
I don't think Astrid and Lilian overlapped as Leopold's love interest. That changes the dynamic. Women may share men or they may share jewelry but rarely do they share both.

They didn't overlap since Leopold didn't meet Lilian until years after the death of his first wife but from what I've heard it was still controversial for the Belgians to see Lilian in the wedding gifts of their beloved Astrid. As personal property those jewels should have been saved for her children and not gifted by her widower to his new wife.

They didn't overlap since Leopold didn't meet Lilian until years after the death of his first wife but from what I've heard it was still controversial for the Belgians to see Lilian in the wedding gifts of their beloved Astrid. As personal property those jewels should have been saved for her children and not gifted by her widower to his new wife.

Well, then it was smart of Camilla and Charles not to repeat Lilian and Leopold's mistake.

Personally, I think the Belgian people just used this as an excuse to complain because they already disliked Lilian.

What I found interesting is that only the senior royals were present at the reception!

Sebastian Shakespeare mentioned that, in years past, all of the RF would turn out en masse, so that everyone would have the opportunity to speak to a royal.

Wonder if this will be taken as another hint that Charles will decide to downsize the monarchy?

What I found interesting is that only the senior royals were present at the reception!

Sebastian Shakespeare mentioned that, in years past, all of the RF would turn out en masse, so that everyone would have the opportunity to speak to a royal.

Wonder if this will be taken as another hint that Charles will decide to downsize the monarchy?

I would suggest that the majority of the Royal Family - the Royal Highnesses anyway are all in their mid to late seventies and older, evening engagements are probably not high on their lists of engagements these days.

*Good God*..

She's discovered Brooches....!

She discovered that brooch in 2012

Really ? I've no recollection of it. It looks 'en suite' with her Wedding earrings, and Armorial bearings, with its Oak Leaves.

Really ? I've no recollection of it. It looks 'en suite' with her Wedding earrings, and Armorial bearings, with its Oak Leaves.

Maybe you're right, it could be an acorn brooch set piece from the same set as the acorn brooch she wore in 2012.

Why a women who rarely wears brooches would need two acorn brooches of the same metal and design is puzzling. Heck, I don't know why anyone would want matching brooches.

I'm just going to assume they are one in the same.

Last edited:
Beautiful choice of jewelry for today's Christmas church service .

Maybe you're right, it could be an acorn brooch set piece from the same set as the acorn brooch she wore in 2012.

Why a women who rarely wears brooches would need two acorn brooches of the same metal and design is puzzling. Heck, I don't know why anyone would want matching brooches.

I'm just going to assume they are one in the same.

I have yet to see a good photo of the luncheon in 2012 of the brooch because her hair was always in the way. The best photo I've seen is here and in my opinion, it looks like the same brooch. But again, it's hard to tell. Considering her avoidance of jewels, my assumption would be its the same brooch.

I don't see it as a fluff piece it was know as Diana's so it's only natural to make comment about Diana wearing it. You can't write Diana out no matter how much some people would like to. I'd expect them to write a story about it I'd be shocked if they didn't.

I believe you are correct Royal Rob. This tiaria became associated with The Late Diana, Princess of Wales and was so much a part of so many iconic images. I would have been shocked at Diana (R.I.P) not being mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom