The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-31-2014, 06:51 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Here's a nice closeup of the Celtic brooch the Countess of Strathearn wore in Scotland. It's a very pretty piece.

It is indeed and thanks for that closer and clearer look at it and to Anna for the link to more info over at Facebook. From the far away looks of it in the pictures from the other day, I was wondering if there were Trinity Knots in the design, as w/it being a Scottish Visit would make perfect sense for this trip to have it's first outing. As that lady's digging has revealed (and being proudly Scottish Canadian myself, from my own interest and digging into my Ancestry over the years) the symbolism of various designs being "grouped" together in threes is very, very ingrained into Celtic History, Symbolism and Mythology. Although, I'm far more used to seeing it shown in a manner for something such as Jewelry or other decorative pieces by using groupings of the Celtic/Trinity Knotwork Patterns. First time I've seen patterns such as the Countess' brooch and the pictures that go along w/that Facebook posting though.

Not complaining though, as they are very lovely designs and will end up going really well w/just about anything Kate wears. That it seems to be a Wedding Present from William *and* we happen to be seeing it for the first time in Scotland where they met, fell in love and... :). Also the fact this was the first Official Visit to their Earldom from TRH and makes perfect sense to me why Kate decided to debut it where she did.

Also...I have this feeling that what Diana did for Pearls and Choker Necklaces, making them popular and "cool" again in the 80's & 90's, Kate very well may end up doing for Brooches and Pins. She may not wear them often, but she does wear them and I have my fingers crossed my hunch on this is right. I have some lovely Brooches, some Heirlooms, I'd love to take out of their storage boxes and show off.

Anyway...That's MHO on it. I really do love the design of it. Would love to see it used to keep a Clan Tartan sash pinned closed and to whatever HRH would be wearing the day. It looks sturdy enough to do the job for that purpose someday. Not to mention being pulled by a certain Crumb Snatcher.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:00 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
It is indeed and thanks for that closer and clearer look at it and to Anna for the link to more info over at Facebook. From the far away looks of it in the pictures from the other day, I was wondering if there were Trinity Knots in the design, as w/it being a Scottish Visit would make perfect sense for this trip to have it's first outing. As that lady's digging has revealed (and being proudly Scottish Canadian myself, from my own interest and digging into my Ancestry over the years) the symbolism of various designs being "grouped" together in threes is very, very ingrained into Celtic History, Symbolism and Mythology.
That it seems to be a Wedding Present from William *and* we happen to be seeing it for the first time in Scotland where they met, fell in love and... :). Also the fact this was the first Official Visit to their Earldom from TRH and makes perfect sense to me why Kate decided to debut it where she did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaelfka View Post
That FB is mine I am passionate about jewellery and that brooch intrigues me, I wish they would just share all the info. After all, one day it will be a part of royal history.
I agree. I would LOVE to see it with her Strathearn shawl and with William in a kilt

Old 05-31-2014, 07:57 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
I know I'm going to get bashed for this. But, with all the beautiful jewels left by her late mother-in-law, she's wearing this stuff? I would think it would be an honor to wear some of Diana's things, even reset or styled differently. Am I the only one who finds this strange?

Diana's jewels were very nice but I think Catherine may dive into them for special occasions. You are right though, she could play around with Diana's jewels and make them her own. If she's given permission from The Queen, she could even play around with the jewels Her Majesty loaned to Diana.

Diana had a wonderful sapphire suite given to her by the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia. Catherine now wear a pair of modified earrings from that collection. Also, The Queen Mother gave Diana (as a wedding present) an egg shaped sapphire brooch surrounded by diamonds. Diana used it with a string of pearls to form a choker. It hasn't seen the light of day since Diana last wore in the 90's but Catherine could wear it as a brooch again.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-31-2014, 08:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
That FB is mine I am passionate about jewellery and that brooch intrigues me, I wish they would just share all the info. After all, one day it will be a part of royal history.
I agree. I would LOVE to see it with her Strathearn shawl and with William in a kilt
That Stratearn tartan is soo beautiful pleated. I love how pleat kilting turns a plaid into a very different appearing thing!
Old 06-01-2014, 12:45 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:

Obviously, I didn't realize when I posted last night. Thanks for sharing all the digging into the Brooch you did. I too would love it if it was pinned w/her Strathearn shawl someday. It would look stunning. :)
Old 06-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Perhaps they are waiting until Harry is married to divide Diana's Jewels.
If Prince Henry marries and the jewels of Princess Diana are divided, have specifications previously been put into writing as to how exactly Diana's jewels would be divided?
Old 06-01-2014, 10:35 PM
Heir Apparent

As far as I am aware they were left equally to her children and I wouldn't mind betting that a lot of the really "Wow" peices, except for her engagement ring, will end up with Harry as William will have access to the really big vault with all it's wonderful goodies.

Just a thought.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
As far as I am aware they were left equally to her children and I wouldn't mind betting that a lot of the really "Wow" peices, except for her engagement ring, will end up with Harry as William will have access to the really big vault with all it's wonderful goodies.

Just a thought.
MARG, Thank you for a splendid thought!
Old 06-08-2014, 06:51 AM
Heir Apparent

The Celtic Knot brooch is beautiful and full of symbolism!
Old 06-14-2014, 08:53 AM
Royal Highness

Trooping the Colour today, the Duchess has on quite a brooch. It looks to be made out of large pearls.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:56 AM
Heir Apparent

See the brooch here:

http://imageshack.com/a/img840/2060/3smk.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img850/8110/4zbw.jpg
Old 06-14-2014, 09:22 AM
Heir Apparent

costume jewellery?

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-14-2014, 09:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
costume jewellery?
Maybe. If it's fine jewelry at first I thought celtic swirls (to accompany the Duke's Irish Guard's Uniform) in silver or platinum. She does like to make those small acknowledgements of occasions with colors or accessories.
Then I thought mabe pearls. It could have been a gift on the Pacific tour. I'd have to go back and look at the gift list - I vaguely remember one of two possible jewel gifts there.
Good mabe pearls have great luster - just like the brooch. But it is just a guess.
EDIT - I found the list on the POW site. Jewelry from Malaysian official and Brooch from private individual. She also got a pearl twin set that we have never seen - but want to!
Old 06-14-2014, 10:13 AM
Courtier

The best thing is.. i know now that the Duchess isn't 'ideologically' opposed to brooches... i had begun to wonder...
Old 06-14-2014, 10:58 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Maybe. If it's fine jewelry at first I thought celtic swirls (to accompany the Duke's Irish Guard's Uniform) in silver or platinum. She does like to make those small acknowledgements of occasions with colors or accessories.
Then I thought mabe pearls. It could have been a gift on the Pacific tour. I'd have to go back and look at the gift list - I vaguely remember one of two possible jewel gifts there.
Good mabe pearls have great luster - just like the brooch. But it is just a guess.
EDIT - I found the list on the POW site. Jewelry from Malaysian official and Brooch from private individual. She also got a pearl twin set that we have never seen - but want to!
Thanks for the information. I don't know if I like the brooch or not. Pearls are a good choice with the pale blue but it looks like costume jewelry. Perhaps it looks better in person.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:42 AM
Heir Apparent

That's certainly a statement piece and of unusual design, but would have looked far better against a deeper color to truly stand out.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Good piece of detective work!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-14-2014, 01:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Love the brooch!
Old 06-14-2014, 01:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
That's certainly a statement piece and of unusual design, but would have looked far better against a deeper color to truly stand out.
If those pearls are real, we will be seeing them against a lot of different colors over the next 60 years or so!

Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-15-2014, 12:28 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Very unusual design and quite pretty. Your so right, they fade into the background on this suit...maybe something darker like a navy suit or even red would have shown them better. If those are real(bet they are) what a beautiful brooch indeed! Wonder if she will let me borrow it.........lololololo.