Duchess of Cambridge Jewellery 2: December 2011 - December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
this was such a happy surprise! for so many reasons. 1 - one of my favorite tiaras, 2 - Catherine is getting over her shyness of wearing substantial jewels (raid away!) 3 - a sentimental favorite.

looks to be a repeat on the dress from previous diplomatic reception .... no one cares - we got tiara love!!

It's good to see her embracing her role as a senior royal and wearing the family jewels. I think it just took her some time to get used to the idea that it's now her place to wear these things. Crown Princess Mary of Denmark said in an interview that it took her some time to get used to it all as well.

There is only going to be drive by car shots so not a lot of the dress is going to be seen.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Oh well rats...was hoping for a shot as she got out of the car.

LaRae

This tiara has always been of my favorites but I think this was a really bad idea. We will now be subjected to an overdose of comparisons between Kate and Diana that will be nauseating.

it's too bad we didn't get a photo from the other side like we did in 2013. Then we could probably see.

Yeah, but those were the departure pics.

This tiara has always been of my favorites but I think this was a really bad idea. We will now be subjected to an overdose of comparisons between Kate and Diana that will be nauseating.

It wasn't a bad idea for her to wear the tiara. The tiara was never Diana's to begin with. It's a family heirloom that was lent to Diana to wear. Like most of the family jewels, it's been passed down to another senior royal, Catherine. Princess Charlotte may end up wearing it in the future. The comparisons will always be there.

Last edited:
Are you saying that 'weird' glow (flash) are the pearls sitting behind the diamonds?
(When I first saw the pictures, I thought they were photoshopped because of the strange 'glowing shadows' that are usually the diamonds.)

The pearls look much smaller and are not sitting inside the loop.

It could be because her head it tilted backward that the pearls have fallen out of view.
Yep, that's what I'm saying. I think that they dangle 'out' of the loops because the tiara is sitting at an angle and we only see it from the side. I think that this pic shows the pearls best.
The Annual Diplomatic Reception At Buckingham Palace | Getty Images

It is really frustrating: something exceptional is happening in jewel watching, and the pics are awful. :bang:

I know. I would love to see a full on picture. But now that she's worn it once, I'm hoping that this won't be the last time we see her in it.

Exactly what I was thinking also,The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara also really suits the Duchess!

Knock me over with a feather, but I LOVE it!!!!!!!!! :wub:

Love the tiara and the hair!

LaRae

Catherine looks just magnificent the Cambridge Tiara, just so perfect on her. I am thrilled that she is finally wearing some of the family jewels and we all get to enjoy seeing them again. I think she is wearing a white lace gown, just going by what the picture shows. I would love to see her in a full length picture with William beside her. They make one gorgeous couple.

I do have a question as to how some of these family heirloom tiaras are going to be worn in the future. So Kate has worn three tiaras now. Does this mean these are exclusively loaned out to her or will Harry's future wife also get to wear them?

such a shame we didn't get to see a better pic :(
is kate wearing a repeat dress? it looks like she reused the dress she wore in 2013 for the diplomatic reception, am i right?

has the lover's knot tiara been used ever since diana died?

^^^Good question Empress Merel. Is QEII going to follow the Dutch model and permit the ladies to choose from a certain collection or will she make permanent loans like she has in the past?

I'm so glad to see Kate wearing this tiara! It's always been one of my favorites, but I was afraid it might go unused for a generation or so due to the strong association with Diana (and the inevitable comparisons).

As usual, such a shame that we don't get proper pictures from events like this. There are so few occasions on which Kate wears a tiara, and even fewer from which we get decent photos. She looks lovely, though, from what I can see.

I do have a question as to how some of these family heirloom tiaras are going to be worn in the future. So Kate has worn three tiaras now. Does this mean these are exclusively loaned out to her or will Harry's future wife also get to wear them?

It's hard to know. It mostly seems like once someone starts wearing a tiara, they're the only one who wears it until it "passes" on to the next person.

But only time will tell. Perhaps, if Harry ever gets married, Harry's wife & Kate will switch off with the Halo or Lotus Flower.

I doubt Harry's wife will wear them. It's not like other royal families where tiaras are treated like a potluck. Here the tiaras usually get loaned to one person per generation. After Catherine they will probably be used by Charlotte or George's wife in a new generation.

The way things tend to be in the BRF is that ladies either own or have 'lifetime loans' of their own tiaras, unlike the Swedish or other European Houses, that divide up the 'pool' of jewels as occasion demands. So it seems likely that Harry's wife will be given something else to use.

Until now, the Queen seems to have handed out tiaras as permanent loans to a single person. But who knows if that will be changed in the future? We can only wait and see. But it is amazing that Kate now has worn her third tiara in only four tiara events.

Catherine looks just magnificent the Cambridge Tiara, just so perfect on her. I am thrilled that she is finally wearing some of the family jewels and we all get to enjoy seeing them again. I think she is wearing a white lace gown, just going by what the picture shows. I would love to see her in a full length picture with William beside her. They make one gorgeous couple.

With Kate's hair swept back and an ice blue evening gown, thought to be the same Alexander McQueen dress that she wore at the 2013 event, it was a regal combination.

Read more: Kate Middleton wears Diana’s favourite tiara for the first time | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Hm, it wasn't exactly Diana's favourite. Diana wore the Spencer tiara much more often.

I get that impression too. However, at this rate, there isn't much left for whoever gets married to Harry, is there? Most of them are already worn by other senior ladies and the most important ones are reserved for the Queen.

Until now, the Queen seems to have handed out tiaras as permanent loans to a single person. But who knows if that will be changed in the future? We can only wait and see. But it is amazing that Kate now has worn her third tiara in only four tiara events.

I don't think it's so much a lifetime loan as it is a generational loan. Look at the journey of the Cartier Scroll Halo Tiara. It went from QEQM -> Margaret -> Anne -> Catherine. No lifetime loan, just getting moved each time to the next generation.

I beg to differ. The pearls are indeed in the tiara. You have to look carefully, and I also used my very good magnifying glass. Because she is so tall, it is hard to see them, but they are indeed there and looking magnificent on her.

As to whether or not enough time has passed, she wears Diana's blue sapphire engagement ring, so I don't see the problem with her wearing Diana's favorite tiara. I am glad she put her hair up.

Catherine may be "trying out" different tiaras, before choosing one or more for permanent use. Diana was to have said that the Lover's Knot gave her headaches.

I get that impression too. However, at this rate, there isn't much left for whoever gets married to Harry, is there? Most of them are already worn by other senior ladies and the most important ones are reserved for the Queen.
There are still some tiaras that haven't bee seen for ages: the Teck crescent tiara, the Strathmore rose tiara, the sapphire bandeau, and possibly also the so called 'lozenge bandeau' of Queen Mary. So Harry's wife would be safe.

Probably just me being silly but perhaps it was introduced tonight because there aren't going to be proper photos, so its a 'subtle' introduction and why shouldn't she wear it?

But at the end of the day, I am sure there are lots of protocols and discussions about who wears what, so I seriously doubt it's just a case that DoCa went into the tiara vault and demanded to wear it :whistling:

I had completely forgotten about this event and was engrossed in a TV programme so it was a lovely surprise to come on here and see another tiara occasion :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom