The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-12-2014, 08:15 AM
Serene Highness

Close up of rings from NPG gala

pic.twitter.com/yYB9vFforgf

There is a diamond band, then the gold band from the engagement right behind it and the wedding band further up.

If you look at picture from when the engagement was announced -the ring has a gold band.

Perhaps the new diamond band was a Christmas gift from William.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:56 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
Did some research and came up with nobody. But not certain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Her Majesty The Queen is the main wearer of this necklace. She has worn this necklace for State Banquets, official portraits and the State Openings of Parliament. Too bad The Queen broke up the tiara because I can see Catherine pulling that off too.

From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: The Nizam of Hyderabad Rose Brooches and Necklace
Thank you Frelinghighness and Dman, that's what I thought. To me, it is a big deal the HM loaned this to DoC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Close up of rings from NPG gala

pic.twitter.com/yYB9vFforgf

There is a diamond band, then the gold band from the engagement right behind it and the wedding band further up.

If you look at picture from when the engagement was announced -the ring has a gold band.

Perhaps the new diamond band was a Christmas gift from William.
Skippyboo, I can't pull up the pic from your post. Is that the correct address for the picture?

Old 02-12-2014, 09:03 AM
Serene Highness

Duchess of Cambridge Jewellery 2: December 2011 -

I got the picture from a twitter user Royally Heather whose handle is heather84a. I couldn't copy the link from my phone so I wrote it down and typed it in my post but it isn't hyperlinking.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

I'm obviously in the minority here but the Nizam necklace does not impress me. It's encrusted with diamonds, yes, but the design itself is rather crude. Instead of discerning any clear pattern, one is instantly blinded by all the stones. The necklace has the 'bling' factor but it lacks elegance in my opinion. I'm not a fan of chunky jewellery.
The impact of the necklace is further ruined by the mass of curls cascading down Kate's shoulders which overshadow it completely. Perhaps a nice pendant on a simple chain would've suited her better.

*Image has been heavily cropped, comprising less than 20% of the original version, and is not subject to copyright
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kate.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	291077  
Old 02-12-2014, 01:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Catherine has an eternity ring as well? Nice. It's a nice ring, but I think it would look nice not worn with the other rings. Sophie wore/wears hers on its own (she changes between her wedding rings and other ring).

The necklace is beautiful as well.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:18 PM
Courtier

I agree with Humera on that necklace.
As for eternity band, here's my post. Well, 2 as later I updated it.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...e=1&permPage=1

here's correct link to twitter pic https://twitter.com/Heather84A/statu...259456/photo/1
Old 02-12-2014, 01:25 PM
Majesty

Looks like William is giving his love more love.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 02-12-2014, 01:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Looks like William is giving his love more love.
I suddenly wanted to start singing "My love is your love and your love is my love". :)

It's a nice ring, but I would prefer it on its own.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:33 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I suddenly wanted to start singing "My love is your love and your love is my love". :)

It's a nice ring, but I would prefer it on its own.
You can't go wrong with Whitney Houston (The Voice) in this situation. May the love those two share continue forever.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 02-12-2014, 01:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

I love the necklace unfortunately it is obsured by the terrible hair IMO but it is a stunning piece and the Queen wore it so beautifully all thoase years ago hope to see it worn just as beautifully next time I see it thanks for all the posts.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:31 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaelfka View Post
I agree with Humera on that necklace.
As for eternity band, here's my post. Well, 2 as later I updated it.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...e=1&permPage=1

here's correct link to twitter pic https://twitter.com/Heather84A/statu...259456/photo/1
Okay now I see it. In earlier photos it wasn't as visible. Thank you for the photos.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:02 PM
Royal Highness

The necklace is not a favorite of mine. In fact I can't see what Her Majesty saw when she choose it. But the important thing here is the Queen is sharing major, personal jewels with Catherine so I won't criticize her whole look.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:10 PM
Royal Highness

The Duchess of Cambridge looked exceedingly beautiful wearing the Nizam of Hyderabad Necklace when she was at the National Portrait Gallery.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:07 AM
Majesty

Sir Osman Ali Khan: The billionaire royal behind Princess Kate's necklace-
Sir Osman Ali Khan: The billionaire royal behind Princess Kate's necklace | Royal | News | Daily Express

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 02-13-2014, 04:10 PM
Courtier

I think it's great that the queen is sharing.
She does with Camilla too, doesn't she?

IMO a collective collection is a great succes, look at Maxima.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

OK - I am probably going to to be shot for this. I went back and looked at the crowd at the NPG gala. I now think the necklace was a bit too much for the event.

Yes, I know diamonds of any kind any time - but there was almost all loose hair, many cocktail length dresses, corduroys and denim as well as suits and the odd tux on the men.
Of course, Catherine could not refuse the offer and it stepped up her game. I just think a less awesome (literally) neck-piece would have better suited the event.

Having said that, if the Queen loaned it to me and I had an armed guard, I'd wear that necklace to the grocery.

"They are pretty, they are shiny, and they are more fun to look at than the shame that lives inside us all". John Stewart, The Daily Show
Old 02-13-2014, 04:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
OK - I am probably going to to be shot for this. I went back and looked at the crowd at the NPG gala. I now think the necklace was a bit too much for the event.

Yes, I know diamonds of any kind any time - but there was almost all loose hair, many cocktail length dresses, corduroys and denim as well as suits and the odd tux on the men.
Of course, Catherine could not refuse the offer and it stepped up her game. I just think a less awesome (literally) neck-piece would have better suited the event.

Having said that, if the Queen loaned it to me and I had an armed guard, I'd wear that necklace to the grocery.
The invite said something about "sparkle" so she complied with the invite, I think. The issue about what other guests wear is that they may have just ignored the brief. David Bailey has never worn a suit, let alone a tie, in his life - well not in any pix I've seen.

It might have beena tad over the top but that dress needs some pzazz. But whether the intention was there or not, it also sent out a message from the Queen that says "I like Catherine; she is important in the family; and I am lending her something that has been significant to me and that I've never lent to anyone else"

She might also have said - "No more fake"

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-13-2014, 04:55 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post

Could you post some links, I went searching and among the guests the only non black tie men I found where the photographer and the cross dresser and the only short dress among the women was Beatrice. I couldn't find many shots of other guests @ all, tho'.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:07 PM
Courtier

I am very excited to see that Her Majesty is loaning one of her major pieces to Kate. Perhaps we will see more in the near future of pieces rarely seen. However, this necklace has a large pendant to it and maybe if that were worn on a chain it may have been a better look than the full necklace for this particular event.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
Could you post some links, I went searching and among the guests the only non black tie men I found where the photographer and the cross dresser and the only short dress among the women was Beatrice. I couldn't find many shots of other guests @ all, tho'.
Getty - Search - Getty Images UK: national portrait gallery gala london

"They are pretty, they are shiny, and they are more fun to look at than the shame that lives inside us all". John Stewart, The Daily Show