Duchess of Cambridge Jewellery 2: December 2011 - December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've a question. Its been stated that the loan of QEII's wedding bracelet was a very significant loan to make. Has there ever been an occasion where someone else besides HM has worn it?

It is very significant to be loaned pieces from the Queen's vault but probably even more so when its an item that is very personal to the Queen herself.

Yes, it's a very grand gesture. Like when HM lent Catherine the Nizam of Hyderabad necklace back in 2014.

IMO its a gesture of FAR greater significance than the loan of the Hyderabad necklace.. that was of a lovely piece, and a wdding present, but from a foreign prince of no particular closeness to the recipient.
The 'Duke of Edinburgh' bracelet is a gift from a groom to his bride, designed by him using jewels belonging to his mother.
To loan such a significant personal thing, speaks of a closeness and intimacy between the two women beyond anything we knew or suspected previously.

Couldn't the RFO order be recycled from a previous wearer? I would imagine that Queen Mum's RFO from QEII would have gone back to the vaults. Would William or Harry have Princess Diana's RFO from QEII?

There is also Princess Margaret's RFO and Princess Alice of Gloucester's RFO. That being said I don't think she would wear recycled ivory, either. It would be like a fur industry activist wearing their grandma's mink coat. It doesn't pass the smell test.

IMO its a gesture of FAR greater significance than the loan of the Hyderabad necklace.. that was of a lovely piece, and a wdding present, but from a foreign prince of no particular closeness to the recipient.
The 'Duke of Edinburgh' bracelet is a gift from a groom to his bride, designed by him using jewels belonging to his mother.
To loan such a significant personal thing, speaks of a closeness and intimacy between the two women beyond anything we knew or suspected previously.

I meant a grand gesture because HM still wears those pieces. In fact, she often wears them in iconic photos. Yet, Catherine is the only person she's lent them to (that we know of). I'm not debating that the bracelet has much more sentiment.

I thought the tiara and earrings looked good together and looked good with the red evening gown. The problem I have is with the bracelets and I haven't quite worked out just what is wrong with them. Both bracelets are so big it almost seemed like they were too heavy for the dress. I particularly did not like the pairing of the DoE bracelet with her engagement ring on her left arm. Both pieces are so massive that I don't think they "play" well with each other. I have tried to picture how she would look with just the bracelet on the right wrist but I don't really think that would help. The tiara and earrings are some what delicate and the bracelets aren't. As I have typed this, I think the better choice would have been the bracelet that is assumed to be a wedding present from Prince Charles would have been a better choice for her right wrist with nothing on the left except her engagement ring. I think either of the bracelets worn to the dinner would look great with a pair of statement earrings and a different dress would look great.

I thought the tiara and earrings looked good together and looked good with the red evening gown. The problem I have is with the bracelets and I haven't quite worked out just what is wrong with them. Both bracelets are so big it almost seemed like they were too heavy for the dress. I particularly did not like the pairing of the DoE bracelet with her engagement ring on her left arm. Both pieces are so massive that I don't think they "play" well with each other. I have tried to picture how she would look with just the bracelet on the right wrist but I don't really think that would help. The tiara and earrings are some what delicate and the bracelets aren't. As I have typed this, I think the better choice would have been the bracelet that is assumed to be a wedding present from Prince Charles would have been a better choice for her right wrist with nothing on the left except her engagement ring. I think either of the bracelets worn to the dinner would look great with a pair of statement earrings and a different dress would look great.
You might be feeling the "wonder woman effect". That makes it look more like guard braces. (example: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B3a0h21CMAA_gpl.jpg )

I myslef loved the look, but I can see how someone can find it looking a bit bottom heavy :)

Found out the bracelets are both on loan from the Queen...the one on her left wrist was a personal gift from Prince Phillip to the Queen when the married...it was made from his mother's tiara. Also read it's the first time it has ever been loaned.

LaRae

Found out the bracelets are both on loan from the Queen...the one on her left wrist was a personal gift from Prince Phillip to the Queen when the married...it was made from his mother's tiara. Also read it's the first time it has ever been loaned.

LaRae
Exactly. And the queens still wears it (most notably for her diamond jubilee portrait) so it's a HUGE loan indeed. Especially since she is rather stingy (compared to other royal families) with loaning jewellry, especially ones she still wears. So I think it's a big deal!

Yep me too Hernameispekka ...very significant and says something about their personal relationship.

LaRae

The Prince Charles bracelet would have looked out of place without it's matching earrings, and the earrings wouldn't have complimented the Lotus tiara. Not to mention the Prince Charles set contains pale yellow diamonds, an odd pairing with a bright red dress.

If you wanted to see a more delicate bracelet then perhaps her ruby and diamond bracelet would of worked. We haven't seen it since 2011.

Personally, I had no problem with the "Wonder Woman" look as hernameispekka called it.

I think she looked great loved all the jewelry. I know that bracelet must mean a lot to the queen and for her to loan it to is wonderful gesture.

Last edited:
It must have touched Catherine that her grandmother-in-law would lend her these precious and personal jewels for her very first (and many more to come) State Banquet. I think it tells us something about the close relationship between The Queen and The Duchess of Cambridge. I know some say The Queen is stingy with jewels, but I'm not sure that's the case anymore.

She's worn the bracelet Charles gave her a few times already, so I'm glad that she picked pieces that we haven't seen her wear. I also didn't mind the "Wonder Woman" look. I thought the bracelets paired quite nicely with the entire outfit.

I think that Queen gets the stingy reputation with jewels because she only loans them not gives them. However, to give them to others doesn't make sense. The system to pass the whole lot from monarch to monarch works since its tax free. If the jewels go outside the direct line with one or two generations they are going to be on the auction block to pay taxes like what happened with Princess Margaret's jewelry.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I think that Queen gets the stingy reputation with jewels because she only loans them not gives them. However, to give them to others doesn't make sense. The system to pass the whole lot from monarch to monarch works since its tax free. If the jewels go outside the direct line with one or two generations they are going to be on the auction block to pay taxes like what happened with Princess Margaret's jewelry.

I don't think that's it at all. Just that me for example is used to the Swedish sharing mentality where most of it is shared around to who wants or need it at that time.

Lovely jewellery for the Duchess. I'm impressed the Queen loaned her the bracelets.

She's worn the bracelet Charles gave her a few times already, so I'm glad that she picked pieces that we haven't seen her wear. I also didn't mind the "Wonder Woman" look. I thought the bracelets paired quite nicely with the entire outfit.

Given there was no necklace - that was a bracelet statement. And not so big as to be Wonder Woman cuffs - but a genuine diamond presence that speaks to her royalty. IMO

Catherine wore stunning earrings tonight:

1 2

They are magnificent!

Last edited:
Do we know what the stones are?

LaRae

Oh so on loan from her mom? Lovely earrings.

LaRae

as soon as i saw the pictures of this evening i thought Kate is wearing her mum's earrings the ones she wore to their wedding dinner. Carole also wore the matching necklace - it is quite a set

This report doesn't mention that the earrings are Carole's but do mention the designer and the value of them.

"earrings by Robinson Pelham (the same brand who designed her wedding day jewelry) and what appears to be her Jimmy Choo Vamp pumps. Her earrings aren't just sparkly and dazzling, they run up quite the tab, too! Retailing for £14,300, they'll cost you approximately $22,000."

The Duchess of Cambridge is the picture of elegance in pale blue Jenny Packham - AOL

I know ... DM mentioned the price too! I was like... Woah!

If they are Carole's, she could have gotten a discount price. The Middletons bought a lot of his stuff for the Royal wedding. They each had his stuff on during the wedding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom