The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-21-2012, 04:23 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe

I dont think rules apply anymore. I remember being told when young that diamonds were for evening wear but HMQ trots out the diamonds and pearls everyday. Grannie's chips for church no less. I think the style of Catherine's neckalce was appropriate for the occasion, looked good with the dress, and the majority would probably agree. It's the price that's knocked us sideways. This is the woman who wore fake pearls to the St Pauls service
The no diamonds in the daytime rule applies to diamond necklaces and hair ornaments. Diamond Brooches are eminently acceptable for the daytime. Also if the occasion is a celebration such as a wedding or jubilee jewellery is required!

Old 07-21-2012, 08:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldmemail View Post
The no diamonds in the daytime rule applies to diamond necklaces and hair ornaments. Diamond Brooches are eminently acceptable for the daytime. Also if the occasion is a celebration such as a wedding or jubilee jewellery is required!

I think that is another fashion rule that has been discarded (like the one about not wearing white after Labor Day).

Now, anything goes, and I think that's wonderful. Who needs these silly restrictions? I say that If you own something that looks great, wear it anytime!

Old 07-21-2012, 09:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I think that is another fashion rule that has been discarded (like the one about not wearing white after Labor Day).

Now, anything goes, and I think that's wonderful. Who needs these silly restrictions? I say that If you own something that looks great, wear it anytime!
I think it depends on the piece of jewelry and the occassion. Diamond necklaces such as those owned by the Queen at an event like a walk about in Liverpool would be ridiculous.
Generally the rules of no diamonds for day events still applies in polite society. Now for a Khardashian or a Hilton or other celebutante the rules probably never existed
Old 07-21-2012, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Simple diamond necklaces ( a heart of diamonds or a daisy diamond or a pendent) is suitable for daytime. A diamond chain worn long or 2-3 times wrapped around the neck is also fine. Wearing a simple necklace is like wearing diamond earnings IMO. Some might think it is quite a bit especially worn by the Duchess as we are not use to her wearing them.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:11 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
Simple diamond necklaces ( a heart of diamonds or a daisy diamond or a pendent) is suitable for daytime. A diamond chain worn long or 2-3 times wrapped around the neck is also fine. Wearing a simple necklace is like wearing diamond earnings IMO. Some might think it is quite a bit especially worn by the Duchess as we are not use to her wearing them.
I think that most of the time Catherine's jewelry goes very well with what she's wearing, probably because a lot of her pieces are simple and versatile. Like you, I think it's completely acceptable to wear a simple diamond necklace/earrings during the day. Of course there are definitely pieces available that are only suitable at a black tie event, but I would think that anyone with any common sense would be able to tell the difference. and wear it when appropriate (and as someone pointed out, this doesn't apply to the likes of Paris Hilton and the Khardashians, who have the tendency to make their own rules, and walk out almost always looking like tramps with no taste whatsoever).

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:15 PM
Courtier

I don't think Catherine has the stature or presence to carry off alot of jewelry. She's smart to stick with less is more.

LaRae
Old 07-21-2012, 04:40 PM
Heir Apparent

I believe Catherine has the stature to wear an impressive array of jewellery; it just depends on the pieces she wears.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 07-21-2012, 08:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
When Diana was alive (a) most of her clothes were bespoke and designers had discretion and (b) no internet where you can find out the cost of everything now.
Reporters have always been reporting on the money women in the public eye spend on clothes, internet or no internet. When Diana would wear something, a Trinity gold ring on her pinky for example, the cost of that was reported. Anything not "custom", clothes or jewelry, could be researched and reported.
When Jackie Kennedy was First Lady, there were reams of copy speculating on her clothing, millinery and jewelry budget. As long as anything wasn't "off the rack", it all remained speculation.
DOC makes it too easy for the reporters when she buys "non" custom jewels and clothing
Old 07-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...95_964x633.jpg

Olympic Opening Ceremony.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:19 PM
Courtier

Those are the same earrings she wore to jubilee concert. I wrote to Kiki McDonough, maybe those are her design?
Old 07-27-2012, 05:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I know, jewelry forum, but William's eyes look like saphires in that photo!
Old 07-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Heir Apparent

A better look at Kate's earring.

http://i46.tinypic.com/5dwhzd.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/20kssh1.jpg
Old 07-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Olympics Opening Ceremony

v thumbnail cropped from larger image and not subject to copyright
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DOC Olympics Opening.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	286168  
Old 07-27-2012, 08:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I know, jewelry forum, but William's eyes look like saphires in that photo!
His eyes are a lovely shade of blue, and in that shot they do look like sapphires. Catherine's earrings are cute. Very appropriate for the occasion.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:50 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenafran View Post
First we gripe about her not wearing enough sparkles now when she steps out a little we are griping again.... Too funny.
That is exactly what I thought reading all the negative comments here.
Thou many-headed monster-thing, O who would wish to be thy king?--
Old 07-27-2012, 10:23 PM
Heir Apparent

I like those earrings; she wears them well.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:23 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

They are a bespoke piece for Kate by one of her favourite jewellers Kiki McDonough according to reports

Old 07-28-2012, 04:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Do we know what the stones are?
Old 07-28-2012, 04:13 PM
Courtier

Yes, I received confirmation from Kiki, they are with diamonds (top part) and blue topazes (bottom), and they are not available to buy.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
Do we know what the stones are?
Blue topaz with diamonds

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,