The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-20-2012, 06:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Whether it is owned or borrowed, I have no idea but for 49,000 Catherine could have obtained a gorgeous art deco demi parure. Money better spent by the buyer imo.

I actually find the necklace particularly uninspiring to be frank.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 07-20-2012, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
The Arab royals don't go in for subtle. If they bought Kate jewellery, there's no doubt it would be much more 'bling' than this piece. There's a lot of precious metal and diamonds going on here, but it doesn't slap you round the head with the sparkliness, which is what the Middle Eastern royals tend to go for.

This is a great piece to have in her wardrobe. It's subtle enough to be worn during the day, or in the evening. The different colours of gold mean it'll go with pretty much any colour. It's youthful and contemporary. As nice as all the royals' chuncky jewellery is, it's all in a style that's old-fashioned; it's undoubtedly beautiful and wow-inducing, but they look like what they are - pieces bought and put together decades ago.
Well, I'm sure the Arabs are generous enough to give her a big set and a daytime necklace/ring etc set as well. This could've also been a gift from any other person, doesn't have to be an Arab royal. Hundreds of people were invited, this could've been from anyone or anyone not invited, an admirer maybe

Old 07-20-2012, 09:41 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
I don't think it was inherited, its one of the collections line newer piece.
If she has had it for sometime, it could've been a wedding gift.
Or Uncle Gary gave it to her for her engagement.... One should not forget that she has an uncle who is a millionaire several times over and who tried his best to fit in after his niece's engagement was announced - he could easily afford such a piece and selected something soo... welll... to be honest- expensive, good provenance and image but in fact: so ugly and a bit tacky, so that Catherine did not wear it before.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR
...This is a great piece to have in her wardrobe...
I agree... It is a classic contemporary piece and should fit into her your elegant royal wardrobe well. I find it hard to believe she would have owned it prior to her wedding as it would have been worn. I think SJP is purposely being vague.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:25 AM
Aristocracy

That's just spectacular!!
Old 07-20-2012, 11:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Cartier has denied lending the necklace.
But of course they won't disclose the name of the buyer.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Nobility

I find the necklace ok for a contemporary piece, but it does not throw me off my feet. Anybody has information about the earrings? And I am wondering, where the price came in?
Old 07-20-2012, 11:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Really, if we want to see royal ladies wearing diamond necklaces in the daytime, this is about as bling as it's going to get. Not even the Queen wears diamond necklaces during the day, although she obviously wears her brooches which in HM's case often have more carats going on than than most diamond necklaces. Brooches just aren't something I would wear, and I'm in Kate's age range. To me, they're something my mum or granny would wear. So, I think this is about as 'frosted' as Kate's going to get, certainly for daytime engagements.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Cartier has denied lending the necklace.
But of course they won't disclose the name of the buyer.
Clarence house stated that it was from her own collection, didn't mention if it was a gift or if she brought the piece herself. So we know for sure she owns it.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:15 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertie5252003 View Post
I don't have a problem with the price but I don't think it goes with the outfit .. I don't actually like it to be honest but it is more of a jeans and dressy jacket thing IMO
I think you're right. In photos it looked like a piece of costume jewelry - until I saw the Cartier website, and then said, "whoa." it does belong with jeans/jacket (high end) or with an LBD. Not an office dress.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

A £49,000 Cartier necklace is a 'jeans and jacket' thing? I'm not so sure.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:24 PM
Courtier

I love the necklace and I am an old lady.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

LOL, that's OK. The jewelry collection was introduced in 1924. I like it too, and I was introduced in 1947!
Old 07-20-2012, 05:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Peach View Post
I think you're right. In photos it looked like a piece of costume jewelry - until I saw the Cartier website, and then said, "whoa." it does belong with jeans/jacket (high end) or with an LBD. Not an office dress.
I dont think rules apply anymore. I remember being told when young that diamonds were for evening wear but HMQ trots out the diamonds and pearls everyday. Grannie's chips for church no less. I think the style of Catherine's neckalce was appropriate for the occasion, looked good with the dress, and the majority would probably agree. It's the price that's knocked us sideways. This is the woman who wore fake pearls to the St Pauls service

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-20-2012, 06:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

What I find odd is the way the press itemizes the cost of every single thing Kate wears!

Why? They don't do this with other royal women; I don't believe they generally did this with Diana either.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Heir Apparent

When Diana was alive (a) most of her clothes were bespoke and designers had discretion and (b) no internet where you can find out the cost of everything now.

They aren't interested in other royals.

What really hissed me off today was a couple of articles saying (sarcastically) - so, no more high street princess! It was the papers that called her that in the first place - grrrr

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-20-2012, 08:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Who cares how much it cost! At least she is wearing real jewelry. The trinity collection is wonderful.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:03 AM
Majesty

I don't understand what the fuss is about either. It's not like the necklace was bought with the public's taxes. I understand that the economy is horrid, bu that shouldn't mean that those who have the funds shouldn't indulge once in a while.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:07 AM
Gentry

First we gripe about her not wearing enough sparkles now when she steps out a little we are griping again.... Too funny.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

EIIR in that world it's not a lot of money so yes jeans and jacket....