The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-08-2012, 03:26 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

'Fabulous fakes:' How Kate's £48 'diamond and pearl earrings' dazzled fans | Mail Online

Old 06-08-2012, 03:27 AM
Courtier

I don't look at them as costume jewellery. After all they are in steriling silver. Before anyone know when she got them was in love with them, now people are dissapointed. I'm not, because for a change I can own something Duchess and Countess wore, and to me they are very pretty.

Not sure when we will see her wedding earrings again. The display has finished, I believe... Well, for sure she will wear them at some point again.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Every time she wears costume jewelry, I die a little inside.

Come on, Kate. THINK OF US COMMONERS. We HAVE to wear fake stuff, the least you can do is trot out the good jewels so we can live vicariously through the royal jewels.

This... this is unacceptable to me.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:37 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Would we feel the same if she decided to wear a £40 River Island dress to an event, or would that just be her being sensitive to the economy?

If she brought out the "big guns" on every occasion, she's be criticised for showing off.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:41 AM
Courtier

I agree. I like that she easily wears sth I can afford and then something only few or none can afford. And she is not the only royal doing so. I like the way she is.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

I also like the way Kate wears items in every price range.

Who cares if the earrings are not genuine, as long as they are pretty and compliment her outfit? Which they do.

I'm sure she also wears the real thing to many events.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:58 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

It's a bit ridiculous, really.
The earrings were beautiful when they were thought to be real pearl and diamond.
However, now that we know it's a paste, they suddenly became unattractive to some; I bet Liz Jones is preparing another article.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:03 AM
Aristocracy

these are some lovely pieces
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...QKcWFJZY_Sb4er
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...2L0seYXvhGq3Rw
Old 06-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Serene Highness

Okay, I confess I'm one of those "WHY so much paste when you can wear the real thing occasionally?? I can see the economy being an issue, but the Queen has an image to protect and I can never imagine her "toning it down"

Just my two cents.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:52 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
Okay, I confess I'm one of those "WHY so much paste when you can wear the real thing occasionally?? I can see the economy being an issue, but the Queen has an image to protect and I can never imagine her "toning it down"

Just my two cents.
i think she does so she can set a good example for the country
Old 06-08-2012, 02:12 PM
Nobility

Just to make this right - I am not saying she should not wear custom jewelry at all - if she feels like it. (It is not the silver - it is the fake pearl and glass stones which make it custom....). BUT this was a special event and unique occasion when other ladies really took out their best jewelry - so this is what I found a little strange.
I am not talking about huge statement jewelry - can be small - but "real".
Of course - this is my personal opinion.
On a side note - I thought she looked sensational in that dress and hat.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:21 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree, Countess, I have nothing against costume jewelry and the faux pearl and diamond earrings are pretty; we know other royal ladies do wear costume jewelry. But for an important event in which Granny's Chips made their appearance and other royal ladies brought out their genuine bijoux, it would have been nice if Kate had worn - if not her wedding earrings - then some other choice that would have been the genuine article.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

I enjoy looking at other people's costume jewelry, but I'm not a fan of wearing it myself. I want my jewelry to be the genuine article. I may not have big bling, but I want it real.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:44 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^I agree with you as well, Kitty; that sums up the contents of my jewelry box, too. In my mind, I don't know where Kate's saving money by buying paste items so as not to wear the real ones she has. She's a royal, so the public would expect her to wear the genuine items in her possession. But to each his/her own, as the saying goes.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:48 PM
Courtier

To tell the truth I don't care if they are "costume" or not if I like particular jewellery.

As for royals wearing real jewels, the same site have earrings called:
"Glorious Deco drops,
and it is written under them:
we know two pairs that regularly attend State Dinners!

So...

As for real thing, I cannot afford real thing, no for diamonds and gold.. Too much for me, so most of my jewellery is in sterling silver and only few in gold, however I do care for a good quality of what I buy.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I enjoy looking at other people's costume jewelry, but I'm not a fan of wearing it myself. I want my jewelry to be the genuine article. I may not have big bling, but I want it real.
I agree with you Kitty, I don't wear costume jewellery too. I prefer genuine stones, even if set in silver. For example I have freshwater pearls, amethysts, blue topazes, coral, citrines, turquoise paste. I've never spent more than 60€ for these articles. So I think Kate shouldn't weare fakes: if I can afford these jewels she could certainly do the same.
I also have more precious stones (diamonds, rubies, sapphires, emeralds, akoya pearls, tahitian pearls), generally I give myself an important gift every Christmas, but I have mostly jewels set with less precious stones.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsar bobo Iv
Wow.... Stunning! It really pops with the red. :-)
Old 06-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta
I totally agree my fellow Georgian!
Old 06-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I couldn't agree more. I don't buy a lot of jewelry, but when I'm inclined, I will go for the real thing. I think it's better to have few elegant and real pieces than a ton of fake ones that are the best quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
^^^I agree with you as well, Kitty; that sums up the contents of my jewelry box, too. In my mind, I don't know where Kate's saving money by buying paste items so as not to wear the real ones she has. She's a royal, so the public would expect her to wear the genuine items in her possession. But to each his/her own, as the saying goes.
I think people (even those with money) sometimes forget that buying a cheaper item doesn't necessarily save money. In fact, it helps one spend more, when the item bought originally breaks, and you need to run to the store and buy a replacement. Yes, the earrings she wore on Tuesday are very pretty, but, if they break and she wants the exact same ones, she'll have to go and spend money over and over, while if she bought the real thing, it would last longer and allow to her to save (not that she's poor by any means of imagination, but if she wants to be money-conscious, it's better to for quality items).

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:37 AM
Courtier

She had them for a year, and Sophie wears them a lot. Why assuming they will break? They do not cost 5 Ł, but 50Ł, is it really so cheap for a pair of silver earrings?
Fort sure it is not where I live, and also from my own personal experience, when you pay a lot, it doesn't mean you get excatly what you paid for. If something is expensive you mainly pay for the brand, designer name and all those sort of things. Only small % is for what you actually paid for. Just MHO.
And if whe would only wear real thing (someone described it at my site that only diamonds are real.. I don't think so) wouldn't you be bored with it after a time?