Duchess of Cambridge Jewellery 2: December 2011 - December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know; I like the necklace, but it doesn't seem like Charles' style!
Would he really choose something so modern?
I get the feeling he'd opt for a more traditional piece.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a wedding gift from one of the Arab royals; they are known for gifting lavish jewelry.
Or perhaps it's a gift from a wealthy member of the aristocracy.

Oh...that's a real possibility...look at some of the stunning things Diana rec'd from the Arabs.

LaRae

That's exactly what I was thinking. This kind of money is like a nickel to some of those families.

I don't care much for the necklace. I think a lot of the price is in the name Cartier and not the substance of the necklace. I think pieces can be modern and classic at the same time and this one is not. I'm not sure how versatile it will be for her. But of course what's most important is if she likes it. And if she loves this piece than I think that's great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read on another forum that because the photography exhibition was Olympic-related, she wore the necklace because of the circles.

What I don't understand is that the piece is generally available and I find it hard to believe that any royal family (BRF or Arab or whatever) would spend that sort of money unless it was bespoke.The ruby and diamond necklace she wore to the Sun awards was bespoke and no mention of cost at that time.

I accept that it probably was a gift, and the most likely candidate is Charles but it seems strange.

I read on another forum that because the photography exhibition was Olympic-related, she wore the necklace because of the circles.
That's extremely likely.
For isntance, Kate's choice of Stella McCartney is also Olympic-related since McCartney is the designer of Team GB's Olympic kit.

If Cartier were smart - they would have given it to Kate for her 30th! That would boost business.

On top of everything else - it evokes the Olympic rings and should get some use during the games as it it the kind of piece that can go casual or elegant.

With multiple long-ish necklaces coming out on Kate in the last weeks, we may be seeing this is her jewelry choice - in the same way that Camilla rarely goes without a bracelet or two. I like it. It is fresh and young without being crazy or over the top.

If she doesn't accept free clothing, then I don't think she'd accept free jewelry either.
It may have been a gift she's had a long time but never had occasion to wear before?

I had read on that same forum that the necklace is said to be a piece she's already owned, but I think I'm skeptical about that. That is a lot of money, pave diamonds and gold or not.

Last edited:
I really don't care for this particular necklace. It's a bit on the bulky side, but this is coming from a person that doesn't wear long necklaces, or anything that is considered 'big ' jewelry.

I dont think the piece is from the pre-wedding time or the Middletons. Its a classic piece, can still be worn in 50 years time. I dont have a problem with spending a lot of money on such a necklace but my guess its founded by the BRF.

I don't have a problem with the price but I don't think it goes with the outfit .. I don't actually like it to be honest but it is more of a jeans and dressy jacket thing IMO

Sorry but I don't get why its a big deal who gave her the necklace. Whoever it came from, its must of been for a great occasion.

The cartier necklace is a timeless piece but its not a great piece, I think there are nicer classical timeless pieces out there. The only reason I like this is the 3 colored diamonds on it. I find the chain a bit too long but then I guess with this you can double the chain easily. I hope there are matching earrings (they are nowhere are pricey as the necklace if she gets them without diamonds, would be more ideal for daily/day wear).

I don't care for the price tag, its cartier and thats how much one would spend if they decide to go with such a designer.

I don't like this necklace and for me it's not worthy almost 50 thousands. It's not classic, timeless piece for me. I hope it was personal present not latest purchase, cause spending such a money would be ridiculous.

Is it a classic Cartier piece? I know Princess Diana used to like Cartier (wasn't her favorite watch a Cartier?) - is there a possibility that William simply inherited the necklace and gave it to Catherine because it fit with the Olympic theme? It was said that Diana (and Sarah F. as well) received numberless very valuable gifts of jewelery as thank you for attending events that were sponsored for charity - maybe she was given it by Cartier? I seem to recall she did some events for charities Cartier sponsored...

:previous:
Diana's watch was Cartier and it reportedly was inherited by William.
However, I'm pretty sure the necklace isn't hers. At least, Diana certainly never wore it in public.

Anyway, a St James Palace spokesman commented on the necklace:
"It’s a personal piece which she’s had for some time. It’s not an official Olympic item but it’s appropriate to wear it."

Last edited:
I did gulp at the price but as I've just read that Alexander McQueen have just issued the "Heroine" bag which retails up to £22,295, a necklace of different coloured gold and diamonds seems vfm @ £49,000 :whistling:

Is it a classic Cartier piece? I know Princess Diana used to like Cartier (wasn't her favorite watch a Cartier?) - is there a possibility that William simply inherited the necklace and gave it to Catherine because it fit with the Olympic theme? It was said that Diana (and Sarah F. as well) received numberless very valuable gifts of jewelery as thank you for attending events that were sponsored for charity - maybe she was given it by Cartier? I seem to recall she did some events for charities Cartier sponsored...

I don't think it was inherited, its one of the collections line newer piece.
If she has had it for sometime, it could've been a wedding gift.

The Arab royals don't go in for subtle. If they bought Kate jewellery, there's no doubt it would be much more 'bling' than this piece. There's a lot of precious metal and diamonds going on here, but it doesn't slap you round the head with the sparkliness, which is what the Middle Eastern royals tend to go for.

This is a great piece to have in her wardrobe. It's subtle enough to be worn during the day, or in the evening. The different colours of gold mean it'll go with pretty much any colour. It's youthful and contemporary. As nice as all the royals' chuncky jewellery is, it's all in a style that's old-fashioned; it's undoubtedly beautiful and wow-inducing, but they look like what they are - pieces bought and put together decades ago.

Whether it is owned or borrowed, I have no idea but for 49,000 Catherine could have obtained a gorgeous art deco demi parure. Money better spent by the buyer imo.

I actually find the necklace particularly uninspiring to be frank.

Last edited:
The Arab royals don't go in for subtle. If they bought Kate jewellery, there's no doubt it would be much more 'bling' than this piece. There's a lot of precious metal and diamonds going on here, but it doesn't slap you round the head with the sparkliness, which is what the Middle Eastern royals tend to go for.

This is a great piece to have in her wardrobe. It's subtle enough to be worn during the day, or in the evening. The different colours of gold mean it'll go with pretty much any colour. It's youthful and contemporary. As nice as all the royals' chuncky jewellery is, it's all in a style that's old-fashioned; it's undoubtedly beautiful and wow-inducing, but they look like what they are - pieces bought and put together decades ago.

Well, I'm sure the Arabs are generous enough to give her a big set and a daytime necklace/ring etc set as well. This could've also been a gift from any other person, doesn't have to be an Arab royal. Hundreds of people were invited, this could've been from anyone or anyone not invited, an admirer maybe :)

I don't think it was inherited, its one of the collections line newer piece.
If she has had it for sometime, it could've been a wedding gift.

Or Uncle Gary gave it to her for her engagement.... One should not forget that she has an uncle who is a millionaire several times over and who tried his best to fit in after his niece's engagement was announced - he could easily afford such a piece and selected something soo... welll... to be honest- expensive, good provenance and image but in fact: so ugly and a bit tacky, so that Catherine did not wear it before.

EIIR said:
...This is a great piece to have in her wardrobe...
I agree... It is a classic contemporary piece and should fit into her your elegant royal wardrobe well. I find it hard to believe she would have owned it prior to her wedding as it would have been worn. I think SJP is purposely being vague.

That's just spectacular!!

Cartier has denied lending the necklace.
But of course they won't disclose the name of the buyer.

I find the necklace ok for a contemporary piece, but it does not throw me off my feet. Anybody has information about the earrings? And I am wondering, where the price came in?

Really, if we want to see royal ladies wearing diamond necklaces in the daytime, this is about as bling as it's going to get. Not even the Queen wears diamond necklaces during the day, although she obviously wears her brooches which in HM's case often have more carats going on than than most diamond necklaces. Brooches just aren't something I would wear, and I'm in Kate's age range. To me, they're something my mum or granny would wear. So, I think this is about as 'frosted' as Kate's going to get, certainly for daytime engagements.

Cartier has denied lending the necklace.
But of course they won't disclose the name of the buyer.

Clarence house stated that it was from her own collection, didn't mention if it was a gift or if she brought the piece herself. So we know for sure she owns it.

I don't have a problem with the price but I don't think it goes with the outfit .. I don't actually like it to be honest but it is more of a jeans and dressy jacket thing IMO

I think you're right. In photos it looked like a piece of costume jewelry - until I saw the Cartier website, and then said, "whoa." it does belong with jeans/jacket (high end) or with an LBD. Not an office dress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom