Duchess of Cambridge Jewellery 2: December 2011 - December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are these new earrings worn at Trooping the Color? I don't recall seeing them before. They look like dangling pearls with a bead higher up on the strand.

Baroness of Books said:
Are these new earrings worn at Trooping the Color? I don't recall seeing them before. They look like dangling pearls with a bead higher up on the strand.

They are her Effervescence Bubble Stiletto earrings from Links of London... Worn often, notably the Ark Dinner last year. I am lucky enough to own them and I love them!!

It's her Kiki McDonough Green amethyst earrings. She worn those first in Sandringham during Christmas.

They are her Effervescence Bubble Stiletto earrings from Links of London... Worn often, notably the Ark Dinner last year. I am lucky enough to own them and I love them!!

Me too i bought them after i saw Kate wearing them last year at the Ark dinner - they are lovely earrings for both day and night events

those really make her eyes pop:clap:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard for me to wrap my mind around amethyst stones that are in colors other than purple. I own amethyst stones that are the conventional purple and just love that color, so every time someone mentions these earrings, I think Kate has a new set in her repertoire. While these are pretty, for me, there's nothing like the purple amethyst. But that's my taste, and I just thought I'd get it out there!:flowers:

Technically speaking, "green amethyst" is a misnomer. "Green quartz" or "Prasiolite" would be much more accurate terms. I'm guessing that since most green quartz on the market today is heat-treated and irradiated amethyst, they use the incorrect name as a selling point.

I guess the only reason jewelers aren't calling citrine (most of which on the market today is also heat-treated amethyst) yellow/orange/brown amethyst is because that color quartz already has a widely known name.

Thank you for that information about amethyst, I too thought it was only purple. And, didn't know that citrine was artificially made from amethyst.

Thank you for that information about amethyst, I too thought it was only purple. And, didn't know that citrine was artificially made from amethyst.

Citrine does occur naturally (as does green quartz, but that is rarer), but most that are on the market today originally was amethyst.

Quartz

It's hard for me to wrap my mind around amethyst stones that are in colors other than purple. I own amethyst stones that are the conventional purple and just love that color, so every time someone mentions these earrings, I think Kate has a new set in her repertoire. While these are pretty, for me, there's nothing like the purple amethyst. But that's my taste, and I just thought I'd get it out there!:flowers:
Baroness, actually there is a reason for your unease. Amethyst is what we call purple colored quartz. And it IS the Queen of the quartz-es.

There are many colors of quartz.
Yellow quartz is called Citrine
Smoky Quartz is the color of weak black tea or coffee
Ametrine is a variegated amethyst to citrine stone
Prasiolite is green colored
Blue quartz is rare as a natural stone and usually created by irradiating white (clear) quartz.

The chances are good that The Duchess's earrings in the photo are either irradiated or are topaz. They are lovely, whatever they are. :)

Thanks so much for your explanation, AdmirerUS; I really appreciate the mini-course on quartz.:flowers:

The chances are good that The Duchess's earrings in the photo are either irradiated or are topaz. They are lovely, whatever they are. :)

Name: green amethyst to Duchess earrings came from Kiki McDonough shop. I know it, because I ID those earrings, as hers and she is using name at her shop site: green amethyst. That's why we are calling them like that. There were the same earrings with citrine, but Kate's are green.

Most colored stones have been heat treated these days to inhance their color.

Well in that case it's a ridiculous amount of money, if it wasn't a "gift" I'm shocked.

I really like it, even at £49,000. Who do we think bought this for Kate then? It has to have been a gift, surely.

I'd say either William or Charles. 30th Birthday present? Wedding gift? 1st anniversary?

I guess 1st anniversary or even 30th birthday because that is a special birthday.

I like the necklace, I would have bought it for £49 ;)

I love this necklace! She usually doesn't wear big jewelry, but I'm glad she did today. I think it's perfect for the dress.

Now, that's a piece of jewelry! From the Cartier Trinity collection. On the Cartier website, you must contact them for pricing. Pretty sure it would cost more than 49,000. In US$ the starting price of a diamond encrusted Trinity ring is over 16,000. I'm a big Cartier fan. Perhaps Kate didn't want a Trinity ring like the other royal ladies. This is a fine substitute.

Last edited:
I thought it look Cartier-esque, but 49 thousand is......alot! Maybe it's a knock-off?

On the other hand, Princess Diana, the Duchess of York, the Duchess of Gloucester and Princess Anne have supposeedly sported the Cartier Trinity ring.

A knock off for £49,000. I think not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom