Duchess of Cambridge Jewellery 1: April-December 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
blauerengel said:
@Daisiesforever
I believe we agree! Understated luxury and good quality without trying too hard-this is modern and beautiful and I also like the engagement ring a lot :)
Blue is a good colour for Catherine,the jewels look good on her!

Agreed. The ring is to die for - so elegant and tasteful. I love the way she's reshaped Diana's earrings, too. I'd like to see her in a tiara sometime - even a small, simple one would do.

I love the way she's reshaped Diana's earrings, too.

Are you referring to the sapphire drop earrings Catherine wore during Prince Philip's birthday celebration, and the US/Canada tour? If so, then I agree with you. They're so lovely.

has she wore an tiara?

I've only seen her in the Halo Tiara on her wedding day. I don't think she's worn one on any other occasion (I could be wrong of course, so this is just a guess).

:previous:Yes, Kate's only worn the Scroll/Halo tiara on her wedding day. Hopefully, she'll get the chance to wear it again for formal events during the Diamond Jubilee year, and maybe we'll see another tiara as well.:)

Are you referring to the sapphire drop earrings Catherine wore during Prince Philip's birthday celebration, and the US/Canada tour? If so, then I agree with you. They're so lovely.

Yes, I loved them, especially at Wimbledon! They really compliment her skin and hair colour.

[Side Note: Here's a link to the past and present Royal Family Orders (George IV - Elizabeth II) that are a personal gift from the monarch and worn by female members of the Royal Family, since it was discussed a few pages back: ODM of the United Kingdom: Royal Family Orders]

Royal Newbie said:
The bracelet screams "I'm a duchess" infinitely less than a tiara, a necklace with a ginormous sapphire, and pretty much all the "royal" jewels that Catherine may have at her fingertips sometime in the future.
In fact, I would say it whispers "I'm a duchess" if it says anything at all.
As Diarist would say, this is just my opinion and I don't mean to offend.
Oh, of course. But she wears the bracelet quite often, while a tiara is pretty much required and only for very formal events at that.
(And for those snide comments about how some people will always complain about everything Catherine wears, just recently I was praising her beautiful sapphire earrings. I'm not a fan of the bracelet.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody really knows who gets what jewels other than her "royal" rather than personal pieces went back to the queen. As for all the speculation that Willim gets the lot or most of it, Diana was very keen to treat her sons equally so I think she would have tried to leave some to Harry. Personally I think Kate needs to get some jewels that don't belong to Diana. Even a tribute to her is bit much at this point. She needs to try to create her own image.

As for Fergie I have heard many different stories about how she got the tiara so whatever you want to believe is your choice but I feel like the Queen has her favorites.

I know this was mentioned back in june, but I was reading through and I wanted to point something out. When Diana died, her mom and sister were executers of her will. What is some of her personal jewerly did'nt go to the boys but to them? I could definately see them taking whatever was not nailed down specifically in the will for Will and Harry...

I agree that the "C" with a crown is tacky, but not the charm-bracelet itself.

A much nicer gift to symbolise the change from commoner to Royalty was the Prince of Wales wedding morning gift to Diana of a copy of his signet ring; that was a more discreet and appropriate choice, IMO.

However, I think the wedding itself has already made clear the transition and her wedding ring is surely the most precious symbol possible. I don't know exactly why, but to me the large "C" with a crown just seems a bit tasteless. As someone else posted, what's appropriate for note paper is not necessarily a good choice for jewellery. I also don't quite understand the switch to "Catherine" from "Kate", either, though - so what do I know, :ROFLMAO:

Again, I late into the discussion lol. I think the 'C' is quite appropriate. The crown is actually a Duchess's coranet (?spelling), which is a symbol of her rank via her new title. There is'nt anything tacky about it. She is a Duchess, so why complain that she is wearing a symbol of her rank? Prince Charles has his signet ring with the feathers...

Again, I late into the discussion lol. I think the 'C' is quite appropriate. The crown is actually a Duchess's coranet (?spelling), which is a symbol of her rank via her new title. There is'nt anything tacky about it. She is a Duchess, so why complain that she is wearing a symbol of her rank? Prince Charles has his signet ring with the feathers...

I don't think it's tasteless. A small charm with her royal cypher is fine. Now, if she were to start putting it on everything from her jewelry, to her clothes, etc. that would be tacky. Prince William has his cypher on his luggage! http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab18/vamoosed/DukeDuchessCambridgeCanadianTourDay7HomLnn6xJTll.jpg

As for the Kate/Catherine thing, I suppose we'll never know the whole story. Many people have said that she was always called Catherine growing up and Kate was a nickname she got in college/university, so it's not like she always went by Kate and suddenly changed. Plus, it's more appropriate to use your full, proper name.

I'd like to see Catherine get her own jewels as well. I don't think a lot of the heirloom pieces would work for her, since they tend to be very big, flashy, and over the top. If Catherine started attending events wearing necklaces with multiple big honking jewels, then tongues would start wagging saying she is ostentatious, this is what she was after all this time, things like that. She's probably going to slowly build her way up, and by the time she is wife to the heir, or even Queen, then she can pull off some of the royal jewels.

I know this was mentioned back in june, but I was reading through and I wanted to point something out. When Diana died, her mom and sister were executers of her will. What is some of her personal jewerly did'nt go to the boys but to them? I could definately see them taking whatever was not nailed down specifically in the will for Will and Harry...
This is an interesting point - but I would hope that there was plenty to go round. Unless Diana specified otherwise I would think it would be right to assume that her sons inherited the personal effects as well .

Didn't Jane wear Diana's wedding earrings to W & K's wedding?

Actually did not Diana's wedding earrings belong to one of her sisters? Or do I recall incorrectly?

Didn't Jane wear Diana's wedding earrings to W & K's wedding?

Here's an article about Lady Sarah McCorquodale planning to wear Diana's earrings to the wedding: The Windsor Knot - Princess Diana's jewelry to make royal wedding appearance

Diana borrowed them from her mother for her wedding to Charles, according to the article.

Here's a picture of Lady Sarah from the wedding: http://royalweddings.hellomagazine.com/imagenes/prince-william-and-kate-middleton/20110502681/Royal-wedding-Prince-William-Kate-Middleton-Prince-Harry/0-2-495/lady-sarah-mccorquodale--a.jpg

And a close up of Diana's earrings on display: http://www.cavendishjewellers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/25769.jpg

I think it was a very nice touch to honor her late sister, and she wasn't trying to make a big deal about it, very classy.

I think that the bracelet is quite tacky and unnecessary,,but then again I also think that about Charles's signet ring. The bracelet just seems to say 'I'm a duchess': there isn't anything particularly pretty about it.

The ring on Charles is tacky... but my opinion is clouded because I'm not a huge fan of him to begin with. Now with HRH the Duchess... I don't think its tacky at all. She spent 8 years prepareing herself for the role, for being the wife of a future King of England... I see no reason why she does'nt deserve to be able to wear her status on her bracelet.

At least it is'nt some gaudy brooch that outshines her clothes or something. Its not overly expensive... its classic and simple. Though I would prefer it were white gold or platinum, but that is just my personal choise lol.

I think that the bracelet is quite tacky and unnecessary,,but then again I also think that about Charles's signet ring. The bracelet just seems to say 'I'm a duchess': there isn't anything particularly pretty about it.

The bracelet screams "I'm a duchess" infinitely less than a tiara, a necklace with a ginormous sapphire, and pretty much all the "royal" jewels that Catherine may have at her fingertips sometime in the future.

As Diarist would say, this is just my opinion and I don't mean to offend.

I just don't see it - what the heck is wrong with that bracelet? Loads of people wear bracelets like that.

I just don't see it - what the heck is wrong with that bracelet? Loads of people wear bracelets like that.
Exactly! It is a beautiful bracelet, original and elegant. The only thing wrong is the giver. At best it narks the moaners. At worst it winds the haters up!

Royal Newbie said:

Well put.....

I also think it says to Catherine 'i'm part of the family now, officially' . A very nice gesture from her stepmother in law IMO. It's not like it's a tatoo of her cypher ;)

Last edited:

When you think about it, what piece of jewelry is actually necessary? I understand that royal regalia does serve a function and is very obvious in its statement, but not a mere charm bracelet that's worn as fashion. Any item of jewelry I wear is strictly for ornamentation and not from necessity. And I've had a charm bracelet since I was a child; it was actually quite personal since my parents commemorated important occasions in my life by adding charms to it. But this is an item of jewelry that has to appeal to you, and certainly shouldn't be considered tacky by those who don't care for it. Charm bracelets actually seem to be making a comeback and Catherine's wearing one will probably continue the trend. Her charm is very subtle and discreet and no more shouts "I'm Duchess of Cambridge" than Diana wearing her Prince of Wales feather brooch/pendant and declaring to the world that she was the Princess of Wales. Catherine is a duchess, has the right to wear a charm with the ducal cypher and should enjoy it.

Last edited:
:previous: Thank you! I was just contemplating taking out my charm bracelet that has the initials of my children and grandchildren and tossing it .... jk

Again, IMO this is a case that whatever Catherine does, wears, etc., is just wrong, wrong, wrong in the eyes of certain people ... plain and simple.

I love charm bracelets, have the wonderful childhood one where my parents and my mom's best friend and her daughters gave me charms for significant events up into my 20's, and then there's the one my daughter gave me (and we still add to) when she was loving her job in the jewelry department at a department store - it was a lot of money for a kid to spend, it's beautiful and I like the whole idea of charm bracelets.

I've liked them since I was little, I will always like them and would wear one if I felt it like it on any regular daily jaunt. I think it's great Catherine is keeping that tradition.

I have my own list of behaviors and items I deem tacky, but none of the include someone else's jewelry.

Some of Kate's pieces are so delicate, I find it hard to visualise her wearing some of the "serious" pieces in the Royal collection. The slightness of her frame also suggests she could be swamped by such jewellery. When I see the closeups, I do like her choices, but unfortunately they are often lost in the general pictures we see in the media.

In my opinion Kate is a little bit too modest in the jewlery department. I believe she's trying to show people that she could care less about jewels or fashion.

PS: My opinion

Last edited:
Some of Kate's pieces are so delicate, I find it hard to visualise her wearing some of the "serious" pieces in the Royal collection. The slightness of her frame also suggests she could be swamped by such jewellery. When I see the closeups, I do like her choices, but unfortunately they are often lost in the general pictures we see in the media.

I agree, I sometimes think we'll never see grand pieces from the collection being worn by Kate. And by grand, I also mean serious. I'm sure there have to be items that fit her frame without overwhelming her. She wears dangling earrings beautifully and I'd love to see something suitable that she can wear in necklaces as well. And a nice bracelet or two wouldn't go amiss, perhaps more like the diamond one she wore to the BAFTA event in LA. :whistling:

Last edited:
I think as she ages, she'll be more comfortable with some of the major pieces. A lot of them just work better on older women- they'd look too "fairy princess" on Kate. I bet that when she becomes Princess of Wales, she'll start wearing the more important pieces, but I doubt we'll see them til then.

Sadly.

Last edited by a moderator:
If large, impressive jewels are no longer fashionable, then shoot me now.

And what about that 18 carat sapphire engagement ring...or are rings excluded?
I agree 100%. large jewelry is actually trending and has been for quite some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom