Duchess of Cambridge Jewellery 1: April-December 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This tour kinda makes me want to put Canada on my bucket list (which consists manly of travel destinations).

What have I got against Maple Leaf brooches? Nothing except there are three in the Royal Collection already. Time to change things up, be a little bit more original, like polar bears and northern lights!
I feel the same about the maple leaf brooches. There is always one to borrow, as we have seen. So it's nice that Kate received a different design.

Brooch & Cufflinks

The Harry Winston diamond brooch & cufflinks

pic courtesy of Harry Winston

Attachments

• Brooch & Cufflinks diamonds Harry Winston from NW Territories, Cambridge Tour Jul11.jpg
    Brooch & Cufflinks diamonds Harry Winston from NW Territories, Cambridge Tour Jul11.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,851
The Harry Winston diamond brooch & cufflinks

pic courtesy of Harry Winston

wow. I think the gifts are very beautiful. They represent the Northern territories and are very distinctive. I hope we see them worn. I think it's quite thoughtful to come up with a new design. I think william could wear the cuuflinks all the time. The brooch is the Duchess of Cambridges' first jewelry gift and it is very beautiful

is it really her first jewellery gift? I thought she got some jewellery gifts at ther wedding!

:previous:
Catherine would have received substantial (ie,'serious') jewellery gifts from, at the bare minimum, the Queen, Prince Charles, and her husband. It's royal tradition.

I feel the same about the maple leaf brooches. There is always one to borrow, as we have seen. So it's nice that Kate received a different design.

I would have much preferred a pretty maple leaf to those hulking bears!
Although it was a nice gesture.

(Still, you'd think they could have come up with something she could wear frequently and not just when touring Canada.)

(Still, you'd think they could have come up with something she could wear frequently and not just when touring Canada.)

I agree, it would have been nice to have a more usable design.

Hi,

Yes, there are many diamond mines in Northern Canada.
Canadian diamonds are often referred to as Polar Diamonds, and are mined 'conflict free' as opposed to Africa and Asia.

Larry

is it really her first jewellery gift? I thought she got some jewellery gifts at ther wedding!

I think this is the first official jewelry gift for the couple. My understanding is that since this was given my a government to the couple on an official visit, both have use of these gifts in their lifetime, but ultimately belongs to the state (?) or crown (?). Please correct me on this. I know with Camilla's diamond necklaces received on their Arab tour ultimately belongs to the state/crown although she has use of them in her lifetime.

I think this is the first official jewelry gift for the couple.

It is possible that Catherine did receive jewellery as wedding presents from certain froeign states, but the details of these gifts have not yet been made public.

My understanding is that since this was given my a government to the couple on an official visit, both have use of these gifts in their lifetime, but ultimately belongs to the state (?) or crown (?). Please correct me on this. I know with Camilla's diamond necklaces received on their Arab tour ultimately belongs to the state/crown although she has use of them in her lifetime.

That is my understanding as well. If they are personal presents, they may be liable to taxation / import duties.

It is possible that Catherine did receive jewellery as wedding presents from certain froeign states, but the details of these gifts have not yet been made public.

But since these are wedding presents given personally and not on an official travel. then these wedding gifts are her personal property. I think this is why the Arab suite that Diana received was considered her personal property. I'm not sure where the Oman suite falls since that was given on an official visit.

The pave bears are still their first official jewellery presents and ultimately belongs to the state and not personal property.

But since these are wedding presents given personally ........

I think that is an unverifiable assumption in the circumstances, so it would be difficult to confirm or otherwise whether the bears are the first "official" present or not.

And who knew Canada had diamond mines?! Not me!:lol:

Canada's diamond industry is significant - we are the world’s third largest diamond producer on a value basis after Botswana and Russia. About 3% of world production by volume.. Means we have very good diamonds and lots of them :)

We are the only country in the world that offers a certificate of origin with all diamond sales. They're conflict free / bloodless.

It's very fitting that we would give them diamonds - I was pleased to see that Harry Winston made the pieces.

Awww, I love the bears - and am so glad it's not a maple leaf. The Royal Couple should not be asked to wear an official emblem of Canada on their persons.

Her Majesty's pink diamond brooch with the largest pink diamond in the world is from Canadian mines.:)
Full marks for flying the flag but unfortunately it's not correct.
The Williamson pink diamond presented to Princess Elizabeth in 1947 came from the Williamson mine in Tanzania.
Mr Williamson however was indeed Canadian.

refer: Williamson Diamond mine

While I wouldn't want to offend the honorable Harry Winston Jewelers and I like the polar bear diamond brooch I too wander how much it will be worn. I can't see it on an evening gown like you could put a flower leaf etc....I don't know! We'll just have to see how Kate chooses to use her loot!

I could see it being used on a sport jacket with a nice pair of jeans or slacks. although, it is Harry Winston.....

tiara

The Americans get a tiara and we don't? WTF? I think I'll be cranky about that. I'll get over it, but I will get cranky. Although I don't think we had any real opportunities for one ... still and all ... really? Grrrrrr. Sometimes I really *hate* America. Not really, of course ... but ... hmmm.

I am seriously ready for a tiara. I am wondering, though, if she will wear them that much. She seems to be so down to earth. I want her in tiaras, though.:bang: Princess Diana wore them alot, but then again, she was the Princess of Wales and I guess Princess Catherine (that is what I call her) is not an official working royal yet. I love this messageboard. I am so happy to have found it.

I guess if she ever visits Alaska she could wear those bears.;)

For the Sunday morning prayer service aboard a Canadian warship, Kate wore the sapphire and diamond Diana earrings with another lovely navy Erdem dress with lace accents. Certainly the nautical navy was a nod to the fact that they were aboard ship, guests of the Canadian Navy.

Were those in fact Diana's earrings that have been reset? I have been wondering?

I could see it being used on a sport jacket with a nice pair of jeans or slacks. although, it is Harry Winston.....

Yes, and it's diamonds! Not exactly right for a casual look. That's the problem, the motif is for sporstwear, the jewels for formal wear. It's betwixt and between, and I'm betting she'll rarely wear it.

Hi,

Well now I'm not so sure there is to be a black tie dinner here in Calgary.
The Duke and Duchess are now here but have just finished visiting the University of Calgary and its Medical Center.
They are just going to the Stampede Center to meet the Prime Minister but no news about a dinner. They are to watch rodeo events!!

Tomorrow they are in the Stampede Parade but then they fly off to Los Angeles at about 2PM...

I know I read about a black tie dinner here when the tour was first announced; and it was to be Friday night.
So, why are they leaving in the afternoon??

Major BUMMER!!!

I'm sorry if I had you all anticipating a tiara at a dinner here - - but that's what I was lead to believe. Sorry!! Do forgive me.. :ohmy:
Talk about leading the blind down a rocky path.... :bang:

Larry

'Regaleyes on Twitter' reports that Catherine 'was wearing some turquoise drop earring that co-ordinated with the cowboy style buckle of her belt'.

For the BAFTA event, along with a lavender Alexander McQueen gown, Catherine wore earrings lent by the Queen specifically for the event!!! :eek:)))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom