Duchess of Cambridge Jewellery 1: April-December 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still have my hopes for a Tiara for a State Banquet. They will be in Ottawa during our Country's Birthday. I can't see PM Harper not holding one in honour of their visit.
Yes I have high hopes too, although I do agree that tiara wearing events are becoming rarer. But even if there may not be a tiara I hope we might get a few necklaces/pairs of earrings to drool over.

The Asscher cut is a very intricate cut that makes the gems shine brillantly. It make the diamonds more expensive.

The tiara is very beautiful and I think the design would be to the Duchess of Cambrigde's liking. BTW I still love the Stratmore tiara.

...This will sound very mercenary [it's not meant to] but Arab crowned heads have a tradition of being very, very generous with gifts of beautiful jewellery - some strikingly modern but very tasteful and I am sure that there have been some exquisite pieces given to Catherine...

Alex

Since they asked for charitable donations instead, I doubt that there were any gifts of jewels for the wedding. There may be gifts once he becomes PoW.

If it turns out that the middle-eastern houses have given jewels, please post!

Perhaps HM should pass along the opals to Kate.

Thank you for finding that! The Royal Asscher tiara kind of a harsh looking tiara IMO - not soft or romantic looking. The Judith Ripka "sapphire" tiara is definately the best looking tiara of that bunch. Personally, I'd like to see Diana's sapphire Saudi wedding parure remade into a tiara.

I agree about the Royal Asscher tiara...it's rather grim looking indeed. Thanks but no thanks as we say here in the USA! :lol:

As someone else has posted, if the Arab potentates did make any "bling" gifts I want to see them or read about them pronto...when Charles and Diana got married in 1981 I remember reading about sapphires the size of Easter eggs and I nearly fainted...St James Palace actually had the some of the jewels on display while the new Princess of Wales was off on her honeymoon! :whistling:

I think because of the economic downturn in Britain and all over the world it was very sensitive AND savvy of the Cambridges not to request gifts, but charitable donations instead.

There'd only be a full state banquet if the Queen was attending, as she's the Head of State. There could be a semi-state banquet, though; that is, a banquet that's a bit less formal. It would be nice to see Kate where a tiara here.:)

I still have my hopes for a Tiara for a State Banquet. They will be in Ottawa during our Country's Birthday. I can't see PM Harper not holding one in honour of their visit.

There'd only be a full state banquet if the Queen was attending, as she's the Head of State. There could be a semi-state banquet, though; that is, a banquet that's a bit less formal. It would be nice to see Kate where a tiara here.:)

Lovely as it might be to see Catherine in a tiara, I would be surprised if she wore one in Canada.

I can't say for sure, but she doesn't strike me as a young lady who cares that much about jewelry at all.

I think we will only ever see the new Duchess of Cambridge in a tiara when she is absolutely required to wear one.:sad:

Since they asked for charitable donations instead, I doubt that there were any gifts of jewels for the wedding. There may be gifts once he becomes PoW.

If it turns out that the middle-eastern houses have given jewels, please post!

Perhaps HM should pass along the opals to Kate.

You are of course quite right about the Charitable donations, but I understand that the Royal Couple were accepting presents as well; the basic rule seemed to be 'ordinary guests' [Politicians / Beckhams / Charity officials/ Elton Johns etc] were to make donations but that friends/family/royals etc were under no such strictures.

Gradually, details of gifts rather than donations are coming into the public domain: the City of London's Mayor Boris Johnson gave a bike, the people of Bucklesbury bought a gift [I have fogotten what exactly, but will have a think......].

As a general rule, details of gifts of jewellery take a little longer to slip out; I can remember Camilla was seen wearing a lovely piece; enquiries were directed to BP and a member of staff 'let slip' the donor's identity [Arab Crowned Head from memory].

Altough prior to her wedding I would not have thought that Catherine was a 'jewellery type of girl', what with Diana's engagement ring and the wonderful diamond earrings featuring the Oak detail [from the new Middleton family arms], I think that Catherine is heading in the right direction for all of us who have an interest in Royal Jewellery!

Just a few thoughts,

Alex

I also think that she doesn't show much interest in jewellery. So far she usually wore comparatively small earrings, sometimes combined with a modest necklace or bracelet. At least she hasn't yet shown a preferance for big, showy costume jewellery.

When it comes to her wedding tiara, I can well imagine that she was very content with the rather small and not so extravagant scroll tiara. It fitted her style well and she really looked herself.

In one of the many commemorative royal wedding magazines on the newstands, one mentions Catherine "already has a privately commissioned 120-carat tiara from Royal Asscher". Does anybody know anything about this?

(It's the From the editors of US Weekly Collector's Edition pg 41, not the regular newstand issue.)

I have additional info in the wedding tiara thread for Catherine. I have the issue that you speak of and that is what is says.

I also found this photo link...

Us Weekly Features Our Kate Middleton's Tiara | Facebook

The Asscher cut is a very intricate cut that makes the gems shine brillantly. It make the diamonds more expensive.

The tiara is very beautiful and I think the design would be to the Duchess of Cambrigde's liking. BTW I still love the Stratmore tiara.

I love diamonds in Assher cut myself - but this design is somehow not flying - don't know why. It rather looks a little bit constructed....
I would just love to have the main stone.....as ring :whistling:

The wedding ring

Royal Wedding: Why Prince William struggled to fit the ring on Kate Middleton's finger | Mail Online

When Prince William struggled to fit the ring on his bride’s finger at the Royal Wedding, most of the two billion people watching probably put it down to nerves. But the real reason for those awkward few seconds was that Kate had asked for her ring to be made a size too small.

Kate asked Wartski, who made the ring, to make it a size smaller so it didn’t slip off.

That was a bad idea IMO. Now when she swells with pregnancy, it'll have to be cut off if she doesn't remove it early enough.

Sounds as if she was rather anxious about losing it; rings are sized so as to not fall off when properly fitted. Well, it couldn't have been a whole size too small, do you think? Maybe a quarter or half size, or else he wouldn't have gotten it on, would he?

Part of me wonders if it's not a bit of vanity too - we women like tiny rather than big. But as the ring is made of that special Welsh gold, I do wonder if they can resize it for her later. If it's too small now, when she's so thin, it seems it would be unwearable later in life. Knuckles have a way of growing (so do feet, I think) - just a little.

None of us know the specifics around the size of the ring relative to that of Catherine's fingers, but if it needs to be remade at a later date, so be it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I don't understand the fuss on this at this point. We haven't seen anything fabulous yet, and will most likely be jewels on loan anyway...

If they come up with a fabulous (but modern and tasteful) parure (like true royal princesses wore before these royal houses became mixed with commoners) for Kate or even something like the Wittelsbach diamond as a personal gift, then I'd stand up and pay attention,.

Last edited:
Here's an interesting thought: we were talking at the Royal Windsor Horse Show at the weekend and several people there who I would describe as 'well informed' took the view that during the royal couple's visit to Canada, [since it is their first visit abroad as a married couple AND bearing in mind that their wedding is so recent],the Canadians might well mark the occasion by presenting Catherine with some jewellery....

Incidentally, I understand from the Times and the Daily Telegraph that Catherine's earrings [oak leaf and acorns] were a present from her parents and were based on the oak from the Middleton's newly created family crest; the male Middletons wore tie pins made by the same jeweller, and again featuring an oak motif. These pieces were all commissioned by the Middletons from Robinson Pelham. The price of the earrings alone was reportedly £16,000 but of course we have no way of knowing whether or not this is true.

And if I could help with a little background information, it is generally accepted that the Queen's 'private jewellery' [basically that set out in Lesley Field's book] is nevertheless to stay ' part of the permanently royal pool' and although the Queen is generous about 'lending from this jewellery pool', she nevertheless is very careful about giving it away. Certain pieces were passed to Diana, but nothing was ever given to Sarah. I myself was told during a visit to Kensington Palace [to see the state apartments, I might add, not as a guest!!] that 'The Queen had not wanted to give anything to Sarah that she might not get back'. I found this an odd remark at the time because at that time the Duke and Duchess of York were still together, and so I do not know whether this remark to me was actually meant either as 'a bit of a jest' i.e. a remark said playfully in passing or now, with hindsight, whether it was indicative of either forthcoming trouble in the Yorks' marriage or indeed Sarah's spending difficulties.

Alex

Last edited:
Incidentally, I understand from the Times and the Daily Telegraph that Catherine's earrings [oak leaf and acorns] were a present from her parents and were based on the oak from the Middleton's newly created family crest; the male Middletons wore tie pins made by the same jeweller, and again featuring an oak motif. These pieces were all commissioned by the Middletons from Robinson Pelham. The price of the earrings alone was reportedly £16,000 but of course we have no way of knowing whether or not this is true.

I live in a third world country and I (personally) know some people who'd buy earrings at that price (£16,000), just for "every day" wear and not for special occasions.

If Canada presents her jewels (c/o the taxpayers) on their upcoming trip, I doubt if it'd amount to much. Nothing shabby but nothing extremely fabulous (i.e. expensive) either. At any rate, does she get to keep them (become her personal possession)?

Last edited:
People are willing to pay almost any price for something if they want it bad enough.

As for the idea that the Canadians might present her with jewels I wonder if they will given the current economic climate. Can you imagine the press wondering why the government spent money on that when it could have gone elsewhere. Personally I think the Queen has plenty of jewels to loan out.

As for the whole Fergie tiara deal....I think that the Queen has always had her favorites. Why else has Sophie got a tiara made up of historic pieces, a royal order and some other jewels were it not for being the Queen's favorite. I believe how the Queen loans out jewels says how she feels about people. Then again the Queen is not as generous loaning out her pieces when you compare her to other royal houses. So this could be all we see from Kate, in terms of jewels, for a long time. Then again William could always buy her something. He after all doesn't seem that generous. The ring came from his mother and the gold of her band came from the Queen so he needs to step up. :lol:

...Then again William could always buy her something. He after all doesn't seem that generous. The ring came from his mother and the gold of her band came from the Queen so he needs to step up. :lol:
I agree.

I'm sure the Queen has plenty of jewels. Unlike some royal families, the BRF did not, as a whole, had to sell jewels, etc. to survive hard times (the Napoleonic years for instance).

I don't expect Kate to have lots of (personal) eyecatching jewels unless they were (personal) gifts; she has nothing per se on her own (the Middletons might be quite wealthy but not RICH-RICH either and whatever they have are family assets, not Kate's alone). Her husband might be wealthy on his own but NOT that RICH-RICH at this point either.

Personally, however "glamorous" Kate's life might be to some people, it could never compare to the glamour of past royals, when their clothes were sewn with diamonds and pearls, their play things (dolls, rattles, rocking horses) also studded with diamonds and corals. Not to mention their parures! Empress Maria Theresa, for instance, showered her (married) daughters not only with (ridiculous amounts of) money but also jewels whenever they presented her another (longed for) grandchild. Not to mention the jewels they got as part of their dowry.

I think a gift of Canadian diamonds would be nice as long as it wasn't something ostentatious. It would cost us taxpayers some coin; but then again, it would be fabulous publicity for our diamond industry!:flowers:

BTW your story about why HM didn't loan jewels to Sarah, whether a throw-away humorous remark or said in all seriousness, says something about how Sarah is seen in those circles. Who knows? Once Sarah started spending during her marriage, HM might have had genuine concerns about her stewardship.

,the Canadians might well mark the occasion by presenting Catherine with some jewellery....

As for the whole Fergie tiara deal....I think that the Queen has always had her favorites. Why else has Sophie got a tiara made up of historic pieces, a royal order and some other jewels were it not for being the Queen's favorite. I believe how the Queen loans out jewels says how she feels about people. Then again the Queen is not as generous loaning out her pieces when you compare her to other royal houses. So this could be all we see from Kate, in terms of jewels, for a long time. Then again William could always buy her something. He after all doesn't seem that generous. The ring came from his mother and the gold of her band came from the Queen so he needs to step up. :lol:

I am quite sure that you are right about [non!] receipt of the Royal Family Order as being indicative of how the Queen feels about [female] family members: the only two members of the Royal Family who did not receive it are /were Princess Michael of Kent and Sarah [when eligible - i.e. during her marriage] [Catherine has not yet been so-honoured, either, but that is surely because she has only recently joined the BRF!] It is actually quite a snub to PMK, because although she undertakes very ,very few 'official royal engagements', she is nevertheless treated as part of the 'wider BRF' with invitations to State Banquets etc. Moreover, her own lady-in-waiting Lady Kitchener-Fellowes was honoured by the Queen [with an LVO if my memory serves me correctly, which it usually doesn't!!]. It must be quite a come-down to have your Lady in Waiting honoured by the Queen without having received any 'recognition' yourself!

With regard to the tiara issue etc that you mention vis-a-vis Sarah, I don't personally think that this was initially an indication of how HM viewed Sarah. Don't ask me for a source, as I am aware of this only 'from my mother's knee', but I understand that when any lady marries into the BRF, the Queen carries out her own 'informal assessment' of the lady's 'own jewellery stock' to see what she 'needs' in order to 'function' as a Royal. Basically, the Queen sees that the new Royal lady in question will have access to a tiara, [for state occasions etc] and suitably matching jewellery etc. Most Royal Brides of the 'previous generation' [ Duchess of Kent, Duchess of Gloucester, even PMK] all married family members with access to tiaras etc. Any deficiences are then 'made good by the Queen'

With regard to the newer generation of Royal Brides, there was never going to be a problem with Diana - for a start, not only had she access to the Spencer tiara but as the wife to the future heir of the throne, she was never going to be short of jewels [and this also applies to Camilla of course].

In Sarah's case, following her engagement to Prince Andrew, she immediately went to Garrard [the then-Crown Jeweller] and arranged to hire a tiara for the wedding. When the Queen heard about this loan, she immediately bought the tiara for Sarah and generously supplemented this with a necklace, bracelet and earrings etc to complement this [this was the set of jewellery part of which you may remember was then temporarily stolen from Sarah at JFK airport a few years ago]. I am quite sure that had Sarah not beaten a path to Garrard so quickly, the Queen would [at that stage of Sarah's Royal Career, when of course the newly-engaged Sarah was at the height of her popularity] have stepped in and 'permamantly' loaned her a tiara from the Royal Collection. Prince Andrew also bought his wife a significant amount of 'private' jewellery from Cartier and the like [at the time of meeting Andrew at Royal Ascot in 1985, from memory Sarah had only a Cartier Santos Watch [apparently a present from Paddy McNally] and a necklace with GB on it round her neck [from Major Ron]. Indeed, because so many of the pieces of jewellery which Diana was given by the Queen came from HM's own 'private jewel pool' with the implication that these were 'gifts-for-life' rather than 'outright ownership] the irony was that Sarah in theory did 'much better' because the pieces she was given were 'hers, not hers for life].

And fortunately for the Royal Jewellery collection, as Sarah's marriage in the event did end in divorce, the tiara issue turned out to be a 'happy accident', as Sarah did not acquire a 'Royal Piece'. Incidentally, off-topic but I will naughtily mention it here - when Sarah thinks she is poor, she forgets that her private jewellery collection is easily worth well over a £1m, on its 'contents' alone, without taking into account the increase of value because of its provenance [i.e. 'owned by the former Duchess of York']

Sophie did not of course 'rush to Garrard like Sarah had done' and thus other provision had to be made for her. I think it is fair to say though that in any event, Sophie's tiara was always 'surrounded' by a bit of mild controversy - I am no royal jewellery expert [unlike some of the clever people here] but I am aware that it was apparently 'put together from other royal pieces' and so, perish the thought, had Sophie's marriage foundered and a fight arisen over her jewels, the BRF would not have 'lost' very much from their heritage collection even if Sophie had 'retained the tiara'.

Hope some of this helps,

Alex

Last edited:
BTW your story about why HM didn't loan jewels to Sarah, whether a throw-away humorous remark or said in all seriousness, says something about how Sarah is seen in those circles. Who knows? Once Sarah started spending during her marriage, HM might have had genuine concerns about her stewardship.

I certainly think you have a valid point here! Although what I am about to say is nothing more than conjecture and speculation on my part and at the end of the day I do 'prefer' solid facts, and I also don't like 'Sarah-bashing', I think that it must have become pretty apparent early on that Sarah was spending above her means. At that stage the Duke and Duchess of York's main source of 'income' was a Civil List payment, and contrary to what many of us believe, this is actually 'expenses for the performance of the recipients' Royal Duties, NOT 'general spending money' for 'private holidays and clothes', the sums for which have to be found from elsewhere i.e. the private means of the Royal. Civil List payments did have to be audited very thoroughly very regularly to see that no 'unauthorised' expenditure had been made out of it so 'money for an outfit to wear at an official engagement' would be allowed but a party frock for a night at Annabel's [i.e. private] would not. I would conjecture that the Queen would have soon been informed about 'unauthorised expenditure' as she would most likely have been the person to 'provide funds for the private stuff'. Don't forget that immediately following her engagement, Sarah received from the queen an allowance of £5000 a month [worth much more 25 years ago] according to The Times for her own privae expenditure....which I suspect did not last long in Sarah's hands.

With Catherine, I think that the Queen is going to feel much safer! Catherine and William have known each other for years and although I cannot give a reason why, I don't think Catherine seems to be an over-spender. Much of her Jewellery I am sure will come from what I call 'The Diana Collection', although I am sure for obvious reasons it won't appear either all-at-once or very quickly. When the new Royal Couple start to undertake a fuller programme of visits abroad [which may be some years off] I suppose it would be an excellent occasion for Catherine to be seen to be wearing a present from the countries concerned e.g. Middle East Crowned Heads were often very generous with Jewellery gifts to Diana and so where Catherine and William to visit the Emirates [say] the appropriate 'Diana' piece could well appear.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom