Duchess of Cambridge Jewellery 1: April-December 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The queen always seemed concerned about the jewelry. Too bad, people don't count more. Jewels laying in vaults for centuries is a waste and foolish. Greed is ugly.

I think if Catherine recieved any Jewelry as Wedding Gifts, or some of Diana's more well known Major Pieces, the best chance we'll get of finding out will be the upcoming Canadian Tour. There's got to be at least one State Banquet, as they'll be in Ottawa for Canada Day, not to mention what she'll have for daytime wear.

Starting to get really excited for next month and the start of the Tour. :eek:D

I have been reading the threads Diana, Princess Of Wales Jewellery 1 & 2, browsing the Tudor's and Diana's Jewels sites and I have found this necklace http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i191/windsor-fan/borntobeking2.jpg , bought by Diana herself and I can totally see Catherine wearing it. I have also discovered Diana had an emerald ring that maybe could go to Harry's future wife since the aquamarine one was just a loan from the Queen.

Ah who's baby face is that? William or Harry looks scared and oh so cute!

That was the very first picture of William the World ever saw and is one of two that was released to mark his Birth. BTW, from various books I've read over the years, that necklace was Charles' present to Diana on the birth of William and William's name is engraved on the back of that heart in Charles' handwriting.

If true, awwwww!!! I also think that would be an obvious piece of Diana's jewelry to be passed down to Catherine due to all of that.

I think it is William. Please read the post by Boris on the 4th page of the first of Diana's Jewels thread.

BTW, from various books I've read over the years, that necklace was Charles' present to Diana on the birth of William and William's name is engraved on the back of that heart in Charles' handwriting.
According to Boris' post the hearts are different.

Last edited by a moderator:
The queen always seemed concerned about the jewelry. Too bad, people don't count more. Jewels laying in vaults for centuries is a waste and foolish. Greed is ugly.

:previous: Would you like to elucidate? Not sure what you are referring to.

I hope the queen keeps her jewels together in a collection where the other royals can borrow from.
I do not see that happening with the Windsors, But maybe between Harry and William's wives. But Kathrine will get the hole colection when William is King.:p

I hope the queen keeps her jewels together in a collection where the other royals can borrow from, instead of giving them away, like in The Netherlands. Then we'll maybe get to see Catherine with more than one tiara in the future.

That really is not how the BRF operate.

I hope the queen keeps her jewels together in a collection where the other royals can borrow from, instead of giving them away, like in The Netherlands. Then we'll maybe get to see Catherine with more than one tiara in the future.

but the tiara worn by kate has been worn by several other ladies the queen, then princess, the queen mum, princess margret and anne i think.
so a bit of sharing is going on

Interesting to see what Tiara the Queen gives Catherine; [as opposed to which pieces Her Majesty loans out....] Traditionally, the Queen gives a Tiara to her daughters in law [either from the Royal Collection] or she buys one [as she did for Sarah] and altahough Catherine is the daugher in law of her grandson, I am sure Her Maj will want to do something similar for her.

The Scroll Tiara was sitting in the vault for quite some time unused, so I would assume this was given to Catherine as a wedding gift from The Queen. It is not really a piece of importance to the royal collection, since it was made by Cartier in 1936 to the order of The Duke of York for his wife. The Queen Mother gave it to HM as a gift for her 18th birthday (Margaret received the Papyrus Tiara on her 18th birthday).

Whether Catherine will be wearing other pieces from the vault remains to be seen, but I would expect to see that over time.

In one of the many commemorative royal wedding magazines on the newstands, one mentions Catherine "already has a privately commissioned 120-carat tiara from Royal Asscher". Does anybody know anything about this?

(It's the From the editors of US Weekly Collector's Edition pg 41, not the regular newstand issue.)

Last edited:
It's traditional at British Royal Weddings for the bride to receive a large number of gifts of jewels, eg from the Queen, the Prince of Wales, Prince William (who can easily afford to buy her some, plus jewels previously belonging to his late mother), various British institutions, and from various guests and potentates (Sultans, Princes, Sheikhs). Previously these gifts were put on public display, in Catherine's case they haven't been.

So we've no idea what she received last week but we can safely assume it will form an impressive basis to what will be an increasingly impressive collection. It will only be when she wears some pieces that we know they exist (and what William has given her from his share of Diana's collection), and some pieces may not be seen for a few years.

I look foward to this!!!

Me too! I bet we see the 'baby gift' pearl necklace with the pave diamond heart soon.

It's traditional at British Royal Weddings for the bride to receive a large number of gifts of jewels, eg from the Queen, the Prince of Wales, Prince William (who can easily afford to buy her some, plus jewels previously belonging to his late mother), various British institutions, and from various guests and potentates (Sultans, Princes, Sheikhs). Previously these gifts were put on public display, in Catherine's case they haven't been.

So we've no idea what she received last week but we can safely assume it will form an impressive basis to what will be an increasingly impressive collection. It will only be when she wears some pieces that we know they exist (and what William has given her from his share of Diana's collection), and some pieces may not be seen for a few years.

I thought the Duke and Duchess requested NO wedding gifts, and published a list of their favorite charities that they wanted donations made to in their names instead?

This was what was widely reported in American media, as well as Hello! UK.

Sorry, I don't understand your post. The Queen is aware that you need to preserve for the next generation and once you give it away it's gone for good.

There are millions of dollars of beautiful jewelry mouldering away in safes and banks all over the UK and the Continent. Reason? There is no occasion or need to wear them and they are merely assets.

The Danish RF gave Princess Alexandra a beautiful historic tiara for a wedding present. Come the divorce it was gone from the main line. It is doubtful if she will ever wear it again and, if she doesn't sell it, the next time we see it will be on the head of one of her son's brides in 10 - 15 years. What she will do with it is anyones guess! Come time for the next son to marry (a Crown Prince no less) the bride (CP Mary)was given a small tiara of no historical provenance!

Queen Mary positively lavished jewels on everyone now the onus is on the Queen to preserve for the next Queen and the Queen after that! Greed does not come into it! It's not as if she nips into the vaults and rolls around in the contents like Scrooge McDuck!

I think I remember the "donation" rule being for people who weren't family members or close personal friends of William and Kate.

I thought the Duke and Duchess requested NO wedding gifts, and published a list of their favorite charities that they wanted donations made to in their names instead?

Sorry, I don't understand your post. The Queen is aware that you need to preserve for the next generation and once you give it away it's gone for good.

There are millions of dollars of beautiful jewelry mouldering away in safes and banks all over the UK and the Continent. Reason? There is no occasion or need to wear them and they are merely assets.

The Danish RF gave Princess Alexandra a beautiful historic tiara for a wedding present. Come the divorce it was gone from the main line. It is doubtful if she will ever wear it again and, if she doesn't sell it, the next time we see it will be on the head of one of her son's brides in 10 - 15 years. What she will do with it is anyones guess! Come time for the next son to marry (a Crown Prince no less) the bride (CP Mary)was given a small tiara of no historical provenance!

Queen Mary positively lavished jewels on everyone now the onus is on the Queen to preserve for the next Queen and the Queen after that! Greed does not come into it! It's not as if she nips into the vaults and rolls around in the contents like Scrooge McDuck!

*wipes Chai Tea off of screen to make sure post is properly spelled*

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oh...The image that just created in my head...ROTFLOL!!!

Thanks for that Marg!! :flowers:

BTW...Wouldn't trying to roll on anything in the Jewels Vault be rather painful. I mean...all those Tiaras w/pointy spikes...That would be a major OUCHIE!!

;)

I realize all that. I was just asking if somebody might know something more about it from a different news source, one I may not be aware of or have access to considering I'm all the way across the "pond" from England.

i believe it was explained that alexandra's tiara would come to the danish RF once she is deceased.

i can't wait to see more of the jewels kate was given/loaned as a result of her marriage... :) unfortunately it doesn't look like she will participate in many gala events just yet, and albert and charlene's wedding, to which W+K are going, will be a daytime wedding...

This was what was widely reported in American media, as well as Hello! UK.

Yes they did request no wedding gifts but im sure that leaders, Sultan, Princes & Sheikhs still gave gifts and donated something to the charity. Im also sure they wont stop the queen & family not giving gifts if they wanted :)

iunfortunately it doesn't look like she will participate in many gala events just yet, and albert and charlene's wedding, to which W+K are going, will be a daytime wedding...

I would hope there will be a couple of galas when they visit Canada/USA. I thought I read that they wouldn't be going to Albert & Charlene's wedding as it clashes with their visit overseas. Also, their wedding has opportunities for evening wear with the pre/ post wedding plans.

The whole Donation thing is almost a requisite with royal weddings know, but what it really means is instead of buying us heaps of little things we don't need, but the money towards charity. For people who can afford to buy jewels as gifts, they usually have enough money to give to charity as well. Perhaps at next years Jewelry exhibition they will reveal the gifts! And the Duke and Duchess will be in Canada during the Monaco wedding so no jewelry for them. Also, with the recent trends in tiara wearing, I doubt we will see the Duchess in a tiara whilst she is in Canada and the US.

...hm it would be interesting to see the grooms gift to the bride for the wedding....but I assume we won't see anything soon. Although - perhaps - Canada - would be a good occasion for a nice brooch. :whistling:

In one of the many commemorative royal wedding magazines on the newstands, one mentions Catherine "already has a privately commissioned 120-carat tiara from Royal Asscher". Does anybody know anything about this?

(It's the From the editors of US Weekly Collector's Edition pg 41, not the regular newstand issue.)

This tiara was made by Royal Asscher to commemorate the wedding with the hopes that Catherine would choose to wear it. It was not commissioned by Catherine and at this point, no one has purchased it for her.

You can see the tiara on the Royal Asscher facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...a.10150146070949171.296354.83736369170&type=1

There were other jewelry designers who designed a tiara for Catherine but only Royal Asscher actually created one.

The other tiara designs:

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beau...ers-sketch-dream-tiaras-2472052#photoViewer=1

I like the one with the blue stones.

Last edited:
I still have my hopes for a Tiara for a State Banquet. They will be in Ottawa during our Country's Birthday. I can't see PM Harper not holding one in honour of their visit.

I'm hoping to see Diana's sapphires in time, the ones she received for a wedding gift. At least a few pieces, anyway.
I think they would look glorious on her! :D

This tiara was made by Royal Asscher to commemorate the wedding with the hopes that Catherine would choose to wear it. It was not commissioned by Catherine and at this point, no one has purchased it for her.

You can see the tiara on the Royal Asscher facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...a.10150146070949171.296354.83736369170&type=1

There were other jewelry designers who designed a tiara for Catherine but only Royal Asscher actually created one.

The other tiara designs:

Kate Middleton

I like the one with the blue stones.

Thank you for finding that! The Royal Asscher tiara kind of a harsh looking tiara IMO - not soft or romantic looking. The Judith Ripka "sapphire" tiara is definately the best looking tiara of that bunch. Personally, I'd like to see Diana's sapphire Saudi wedding parure remade into a tiara.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom