The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 07:13 PM
Courtier

I was under the impression the engagement was/is a loaner. I could be wrong. Then again it could all boil down to how well the marriage goes. If things stay rosy it is hers to keep..if not then it will probably be returned. After all, even with/without a pre-nuptial agreement, jewelry can still be divided up. So for me the verdict on who really owns the ring remains out.

Either way, when I see the ring I think Diana not Kate. I just hope she gets a piece that one day I can say that is a Kate piece.

As for William and Harry I think they can rustle up some nice jewelry for their wives. It could just be a personal choice on how they choose to spend their money.

Diana's personal estate is so confusing. I do not know who got what and so forth but I do know that I have a hard time believing Paul Burrell. He seems so shady to me. To say nothing of the fact that in the interest of making more money off of her he would probably say what ever he wanted to just to make a buck.

Great point about Camilla! Once she married into the family she really assumed the role, so to speak.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:21 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
Hmmm I thought that choker was a gift from Charles? Maybe I am thinking of the wrong choker..... Did Diana ever wear a tiara after her divorce became official, I honestly can't remember..... ?

I find Paul Burrel to be a less than reputable source or man in my opinion so I discount anything he says....
Well, the choker is the famous emerald choker she wore around her forehead in Australia and it was a wedding gift from the Queen. Like I posted, she wore it at her last evening engagement before her death on her birthday in 1997. As for Burrel, he might not be reputable, but he had copies of the pictures taken of Diana's jewellery for her estate after her death and the pics include that emerald choker Queen Mary had made from the Cambridge emeralds.

I do not believe Diana ever wore a tiara after the divorce became official, although it would not have been improper for her to do so.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:32 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
Please can I help with a little background information?...
Thanks for some of the clarification. Burrell makes it very clear that Diana understood it was a loaner but her father knew Diana had by far the most occasion to wear it and so it was in her possession, though not legally her property, with her family's blessing.

The point I was trying to make is that Earl Spencer demanded the return of the tiara during an estrangement with Diana in order to hurt her. Jephson also verifies this. I fully understood it was and would always remain Spencer Family property; if you remember, Earl Spencer's first wedding, his bride, Victoria Lockwood, wore the tiara. It was returned to Diana after that wedding for her use, not as her personal property, so you are quite correct.

I was also comparing the graciousness of HM The Queen compared to Earl Spencer; HM did not ask for the return of the Lovers Knot Tiara after the divorce while Earl Spencer took back the tiara that represented Diana's heritage (of which she was justly proud) for no other reason than to inflict yet another emotional wound on her. I would not want to belong to the Spencer Family of today for all of their prestige and wealth; it seems they thrive on hurting each other.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:28 AM
Nobility

Do you think the Queen will give her the tiara eventually, like she gave Sophie her wedding tiara?
Old 05-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Catherine Middleton returns from honeymoon looking thinner than ever for meeting with Obamas | Mail Online lovely necklace suits the dress perfectly

Old 05-24-2011, 01:58 PM
Serene Highness

She loves to be sure that ring is on show!
Old 05-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Serene Highness

As a supporter of Pricess Maxima jew' selections, I love the chunkier piece Catherine is wearing. anyone knows where is it from?
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:24 PM
Courtier

I wish we could see a closer picture of the necklace. It's hard to tell what it looks like.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:30 PM
Aristocracy

I thought The Queen loaned the tiara and did not give/gift it to Catherine?
Old 05-24-2011, 03:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

It is a reasonable assumption The Queen gifted the Scroll Tiara to Catherine as a wedding gift. It was sitting unused in the vault for some time and HM herself never wore it. As is usually the case with pieces from the royal collection, these are considered permanent loans, with a first right of return in the event of death or disposal.

Many pieces from the royal collection have been sold over the years, including the Cambridge sapphires given to The Duchess of Kent from Queen Mary, notable pieces gifted to Princess Margaret from her grandmother, a sapphire parure given to Princess Mary, Countess of Harewood, etc. These are usually first offered to The Queen and she usually declines, stating there are enough jewels sitting in the vaults, and the pieces are auctioned.

Diana was The Queen's daughter-in-law and a future Queen. As a result, she received some very personal and valuable pieces from HM as wedding gifts, which had been left to The Queen as personal bequests by her grandmother, Queen Mary.

These jewels were retained by The Princess for her lifetime under her divorce agreement, with the condition they could never be lent or sold. After Diana's death, the tiara and other royal pieces returned to The Queen, where they may, or may not, reappear on Catherine or Harry's future wife.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:22 PM
Courtier

New earrings for Catherine?

June 9, 2011 ARK Formal Gala
Photo from Getty Images
Photo from Reuters Pictures
Old 06-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Serene Highness

They seem new to me
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:18 PM
Courtier

From Kiki McDonough Jewellery (Kiki Mcdonough Jewellery - Fine Jewellery From Our Sloane Square Store, London):

Earrings worn Feb 24, 2011 at Angelesey

Citrine drop earrings Citrine Drop Earrings - Earrings - Women - Kiki Mcdonough Jewellery

Earrings worn Feb 25, 2011 at St. Andrews

White topaz surrounded by diamonds set in white gold, Kiki Mc Donough Grace Collection Grace Collection - Shop - Kiki Mcdonough Jewellery (the earrings are sold out in white topaz but matching ring and pendant still available)

I realize this should be in the Catherine Middleton Jewellery thread since she wore these earrings before the wedding, but that thread is already closed.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Courtier

Earrings worn at the ARK Gala, June 9, 2011:

From Links of London:

http://www.linksoflondon.com/online-...letto-earrings

No diamonds at all.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Serene Highness

So pretty! They suit her to a "T".
Old 06-10-2011, 12:18 PM
Nobility

Looks like we might have another costume jewelry lover besides CP Victoria
Old 06-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I was actually surprised she didnt wear her lovely wedding earrings that her parents gave her last night - but i do like the choice of the links earring

Old 06-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Nobility

her earings from the wedding will be on display at Buckingham Palace with her dress and the Queen's Tiara. So I think bizarelly she does not have access to them until september.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:15 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosapru View Post
her earings from the wedding will be on display at Buckingham Palace with her dress and the Queen's Tiara. So I think bizarelly she does not have access to them until september.
The Palace display starts near the end of july and runs until the first week in october - i am hoping we see the wedding earrings in either Canada or US

I purchased the Links earrings Kate wore last night - cant wait until my parcel from links arrives

Old 06-10-2011, 01:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

I like them too, if the tacky little tag were removed.