The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 04:54 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
I still have my hopes for a Tiara for a State Banquet. They will be in Ottawa during our Country's Birthday. I can't see PM Harper not holding one in honour of their visit.
Yes I have high hopes too, although I do agree that tiara wearing events are becoming rarer. But even if there may not be a tiara I hope we might get a few necklaces/pairs of earrings to drool over.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:10 PM
Nobility

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6369170&type=1

I have to say, I am not too fond of the design.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Royal Highness

The Asscher cut is a very intricate cut that makes the gems shine brillantly. It make the diamonds more expensive.

The tiara is very beautiful and I think the design would be to the Duchess of Cambrigde's liking. BTW I still love the Stratmore tiara.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
...This will sound very mercenary [it's not meant to] but Arab crowned heads have a tradition of being very, very generous with gifts of beautiful jewellery - some strikingly modern but very tasteful and I am sure that there have been some exquisite pieces given to Catherine...

Alex
Since they asked for charitable donations instead, I doubt that there were any gifts of jewels for the wedding. There may be gifts once he becomes PoW.

If it turns out that the middle-eastern houses have given jewels, please post!

Perhaps HM should pass along the opals to Kate.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 View Post
Thank you for finding that! The Royal Asscher tiara kind of a harsh looking tiara IMO - not soft or romantic looking. The Judith Ripka "sapphire" tiara is definately the best looking tiara of that bunch. Personally, I'd like to see Diana's sapphire Saudi wedding parure remade into a tiara.

I agree about the Royal Asscher tiara...it's rather grim looking indeed. Thanks but no thanks as we say here in the USA!

As someone else has posted, if the Arab potentates did make any "bling" gifts I want to see them or read about them pronto...when Charles and Diana got married in 1981 I remember reading about sapphires the size of Easter eggs and I nearly fainted...St James Palace actually had the some of the jewels on display while the new Princess of Wales was off on her honeymoon!

I think because of the economic downturn in Britain and all over the world it was very sensitive AND savvy of the Cambridges not to request gifts, but charitable donations instead.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:41 PM
Heir Apparent

There'd only be a full state banquet if the Queen was attending, as she's the Head of State. There could be a semi-state banquet, though; that is, a banquet that's a bit less formal. It would be nice to see Kate where a tiara here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
I still have my hopes for a Tiara for a State Banquet. They will be in Ottawa during our Country's Birthday. I can't see PM Harper not holding one in honour of their visit.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
There'd only be a full state banquet if the Queen was attending, as she's the Head of State. There could be a semi-state banquet, though; that is, a banquet that's a bit less formal. It would be nice to see Kate where a tiara here.
Lovely as it might be to see Catherine in a tiara, I would be surprised if she wore one in Canada.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Heir Apparent

I can't say for sure, but she doesn't strike me as a young lady who cares that much about jewelry at all.

I think we will only ever see the new Duchess of Cambridge in a tiara when she is absolutely required to wear one.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:14 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbruno View Post
Do you have a link where I can see [Diana's aquamarine ring], please?
There are some pictures about 1/2 way down the page on this site.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:21 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Since they asked for charitable donations instead, I doubt that there were any gifts of jewels for the wedding. There may be gifts once he becomes PoW.

If it turns out that the middle-eastern houses have given jewels, please post!

Perhaps HM should pass along the opals to Kate.

You are of course quite right about the Charitable donations, but I understand that the Royal Couple were accepting presents as well; the basic rule seemed to be 'ordinary guests' [Politicians / Beckhams / Charity officials/ Elton Johns etc] were to make donations but that friends/family/royals etc were under no such strictures.

Gradually, details of gifts rather than donations are coming into the public domain: the City of London's Mayor Boris Johnson gave a bike, the people of Bucklesbury bought a gift [I have fogotten what exactly, but will have a think......].

As a general rule, details of gifts of jewellery take a little longer to slip out; I can remember Camilla was seen wearing a lovely piece; enquiries were directed to BP and a member of staff 'let slip' the donor's identity [Arab Crowned Head from memory].

Altough prior to her wedding I would not have thought that Catherine was a 'jewellery type of girl', what with Diana's engagement ring and the wonderful diamond earrings featuring the Oak detail [from the new Middleton family arms], I think that Catherine is heading in the right direction for all of us who have an interest in Royal Jewellery!

Just a few thoughts,

Alex
Old 05-10-2011, 11:25 AM
Royal Highness

I also think that she doesn't show much interest in jewellery. So far she usually wore comparatively small earrings, sometimes combined with a modest necklace or bracelet. At least she hasn't yet shown a preferance for big, showy costume jewellery.

When it comes to her wedding tiara, I can well imagine that she was very content with the rather small and not so extravagant scroll tiara. It fitted her style well and she really looked herself.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:04 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 View Post
In one of the many commemorative royal wedding magazines on the newstands, one mentions Catherine "already has a privately commissioned 120-carat tiara from Royal Asscher". Does anybody know anything about this?

(It's the From the editors of US Weekly Collector's Edition pg 41, not the regular newstand issue.)
I have additional info in the wedding tiara thread for Catherine. I have the issue that you speak of and that is what is says.

I also found this photo link...

Us Weekly Features Our Kate Middleton's Tiara | Facebook
Old 05-11-2011, 12:54 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by countess felicitas View Post
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6369170&type=1

I have to say, I am not too fond of the design.
I dont mind it
Old 05-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Courtier

Photo of the Cartier Halo Scroll Tiara from the Cartier Archives:

Picture of Queen's Cartier Halo tiara worn by Kate Middleton | The Jewellery Editor
Old 05-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by noldorlord View Post
I dont mind it
The Royal Asscher tiara is an exquisite piece of work. We must remember that it will look totally different when worn.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayvee View Post

Picture of Queen's Cartier Halo tiara worn by Kate Middleton | The Jewellery Editor
Its great to see this close-up of the Halo / Scroll tiara. A lot of the detail can be seen, which was never the case in the photographs of the tiara when worn
Old 05-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayvee View Post

What a great find, Ayvee! It's great to see more info about this tiara surfacing. Seeing this picture, I can really understand why Cartier calls it a halo tiara.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:20 PM
Administrator

The wedding ring

Royal Wedding: Why Prince William struggled to fit the ring on Kate Middleton's finger | Mail Online

When Prince William struggled to fit the ring on his brideís finger at the Royal Wedding, most of the two billion people watching probably put it down to nerves. But the real reason for those awkward few seconds was that Kate had asked for her ring to be made a size too small.

Kate asked Wartski, who made the ring, to make it a size smaller so it didnít slip off.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
The Asscher cut is a very intricate cut that makes the gems shine brillantly. It make the diamonds more expensive.

The tiara is very beautiful and I think the design would be to the Duchess of Cambrigde's liking. BTW I still love the Stratmore tiara.
I love diamonds in Assher cut myself - but this design is somehow not flying - don't know why. It rather looks a little bit constructed....
I would just love to have the main stone.....as ring
Old 05-16-2011, 01:53 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
The wedding ring

Royal Wedding: Why Prince William struggled to fit the ring on Kate Middleton's finger | Mail Online

When Prince William struggled to fit the ring on his brideís finger at the Royal Wedding, most of the two billion people watching probably put it down to nerves. But the real reason for those awkward few seconds was that Kate had asked for her ring to be made a size too small.

Kate asked Wartski, who made the ring, to make it a size smaller so it didnít slip off.

That was a bad idea IMO. Now when she swells with pregnancy, it'll have to be cut off if she doesn't remove it early enough.