The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Mary was very creative when reworking jewels into different settings, and she made sure she wore just about all of them at the same time! Seriously, though, she was a master at resuscitating life back into jewels languishing in the royal vault, and maybe some of that practice can be applied today for some of those that may need a modern facelift.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
Her majesty has many jewels not seen or used in a long time and should have some of these pieces reworked into modern settings for Kate. Queen Mary certainly did.
And I would expect that many of the Arab Shiekhs and Emirs would have sent gifts of real jewels. They are known for their genorosity in this area. And this is what we would love to see.
You might have hit on the problem. Much of the RF jewels are rather heavy and old-fashioned. Certainly not appropriate for a youngish woman such as Kate.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:56 PM
Heir Apparent

But there are the more modern jewels gifted by the sheikhs and emirs, as Tarlita pointed out, that might be appropriate for current wear. The art-deco design goes back decades and if Kate likes the style enough to purchase a fake art-deco version, surely there are plenty of genuine earrings she could choose from i.e. the Greville collection or something similar. What about those delicate chandelier earrings she wore in LA at the BAFTA event? That was supposedly loaned by the Queen, if that's to be believed now. I can't believe everything in that vault is too old-fashioned or heavy to wear.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Royal Highness

Princess Diana received some great pieces of jewellery from Saudi Arabia and Qatar,the Qatari earrings were with huge pearls and dimaonds and she wore them a lot.
I really like the style of Kates Art Deco-earrings,no matter if they are real or not,but I was also a little bit underwhelmed at first because you expect a royal to wear genuine jewels:-)
Maybe she doesnt want to wear so-called "blood diamonds" because they often come from uncertain places and might support authoritarian regimes in Africa? (Blood diamond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Old 11-12-2011, 11:08 PM
Nobility

I just checked the Jenny Packmann website in the jewelry department. I really really love the bracelets and earrings. And I loved Kate earrings before and after knowing they were not real diamonds.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:02 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosapru View Post
I just checked the Jenny Packmann website in the jewelry department. I really really love the bracelets and earrings. And I loved Kate earrings before and after knowing they were not real diamonds.
Which earrings do you mean?
Old 11-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Courtier

Now I wonder if the bracelet and the earrings from the reception when Kate stood in for Charles are real or not ;-) I still can't believe the earrings from Thursday are paste. I'm somewhat underwhelmed I have to confess .....
Old 11-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
Love these earrings!
I think i may have missed something, why are they wearing red flower pins?
Old 11-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethaliz6894 View Post
I think i may have missed something, why are they wearing red flower pins?
Those red flower pins are called poppies and the royal family as with the majority of the UK and most commonwealth countries wear them after each years Poppy launch appeal. They are to commemorate the men and women who have died in the military and armed forces worldwide since 1918.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvr girl View Post
You might have hit on the problem. Much of the RF jewels are rather heavy and old-fashioned. Certainly not appropriate for a youngish woman such as Kate.
She's about to turn 30. Old enough to wear the bigger bling and tall enough to pull it off.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:43 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that we'll see a lot more "bling" when William becomes the Duke of Cornwall.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Why wait? Catherine is out there in the public eye representing the BRF now. Good jewellery is essential to "finish" her (appropriate) look and it is not as if there is a shortage of either jewellery or cash.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:24 AM
Majesty

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but perhaps Catherine feels uncomfortable in more bigger and grander pieces. She doesn't strike me as someone who wants to stand out and get attention, so she may choose to go with a more understated look when it comes to her jewels. I think we'll see more and more grander pieces as Catherine becomes more active in her role, but right now, she's still getting used to the whole thing and may feel that anything grand may be too much.

Again, just my thoughts.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:57 AM
Heir Apparent

I think that Catherine is essentially modest in her appearance, in the sense that she doesn't dress as expensively or as flamboyantly as she could. I don't think that ostentatious displays of wealth are wise now, given the economic uncertainties and that the UK's been at war for a number of years. Many people are suffering, and it makes sense not to pull out all the sartorial stops until things improve.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm not saying Kate should raid the vaults and pile on the jewels; just borrow a pair of earrings and wear them for the appropriate occasion. The way she wore the paste earrings the other night - and they were lovely, don't get me wrong - she could have worn a genuine pair from the jewel collection that was just as appropriate. Given the vastness of the collection, something had to be there for her to choose. The chandelier earrings she wore to the BAFTA event that was supposedly loaned by the Queen would have been a nice choice, or something equally suitable. As the saying goes, it's quality not quanity.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:58 AM
Heir Apparent

I can't see what the issue is if every now and then, cAtherine wore a piece of jeweller that did not cost tens of thousands of pounds. Surely she is entitled to wear what she would like to, as long as it is not offensive to anybody else?
Old 11-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Royal Highness

I completely agree,I would rather see tasteful,delicate pieces of jewellery with a good design than something which has cost a fortune but looks overstated and bulky.Personally I like both genuine and fake jewels as long as they look special and beautiful to me.
Additional to what Mermaid 1962 said about the difficult economic situation she might as well try to keep less expensive outfits in order not to be critisised for exploiting her position because she is still regarded as a "social climber" and golddigger by some snobbish people.
Maybe she will change her attititude towards wearing real jewels when she is more comfortable and confident in her role,but I believe her personal style is "less is more", understated elegance without trying too hard, and therefore we probably wont see her wearing the big tiaras and extravagant jewels like Camilla does.
. Helen Keller
Old 11-16-2011, 06:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauerengel View Post
Princess Diana received some great pieces of jewellery from Saudi Arabia and Qatar,the Qatari earrings were with huge pearls and dimaonds and she wore them a lot.
I really like the style of Kates Art Deco-earrings,no matter if they are real or not,but I was also a little bit underwhelmed at first because you expect a royal to wear genuine jewels:-)
Maybe she doesnt want to wear so-called "blood diamonds" because they often come from uncertain places and might support authoritarian regimes in Africa? (Blood diamond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
She most likely wore "bloods" in her wedding tiara and in her engagement ring, and quite possibly in the earrings her family had made for her. If they were conflict free, I'm sure it would have been mentioned.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Diana existed in the over the top 80's where the bigger the bling the better,now such a display would be considered in bad taste. Also, Diana frequently wore costume jewels by themselves or mixed with real stones.
In the end they are different women, living in a different era, living different lives and having different roles within the BRF. I think it unfair for people to expect Catherine to copy Diana;s way of doing things.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:11 PM
Commoner

Wishful thinking on my part, but I would love to see her in a formal portrait in an evening gown with little embellishment wearing one of Queen Alexandra's Diamond Collier Resille (if it is still in the vaults) or something similar with chandelier earrings and the Queen Alexandra's tassel brooch a la HQM in the black velvet dress shot by Cecil Beaton...or Diana, Princess of Wales in her engagement portrait with that puffy green taffetta dress and the chandelier earrings and diamond necklace from Collingwood. The DofC seems very unassuming and with austerity measures in place...a girl can only dream

On another note, the DofC's bracelet looks like a modified version of HM's 21st birthday present from the Government and Union of South Africa. It looks like they have had another row of diamonds added to top and bottom to have a more art deco feel. Just speculation on my part.