The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Royal Highness

I wish she would wear her hair up, such a beautiful earrings need better display.
I must confess that I'm not a big fan of art-deco style (not enough 'bling-bling' for me) but this piece is very nice. Kate has nice collection of rather simple but interesting pieces of jewelery.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
Oh yes, I see what you mean. Perhaps we should name this pair her Art Deco diamond drop earrings. They do need a name to distinguish them from the other diamond drop pair. Any other suggestions?
How about the Chrysler Building earrings?

Old 11-11-2011, 11:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebaby
I think it would be really cool if Kate's earrings were paste. Real princesses don't need diamonds!
I'm a bit disappointed that they aren't real diamonds...I was hoping we were finally starting to see Kate wear some of the good stuff. I do like that she mixed it with her diamond bracelet. She just hasn't shared her trove yet and I'm getting anxious. They are beautiful nonetheless.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:39 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
I'm a bit disappointed that they aren't real diamonds...I was hoping we were finally starting to see Kate wear some of the good stuff. I do like that she mixed it with her diamond bracelet. She just hasn't shared her trove yet and I'm getting anxious. They are beautiful nonetheless.
I don't think we know that for a fact, do we?
Old 11-12-2011, 09:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Correct, the earrings that resemble Kate's on the estate jewelry site are paste, but that doesn't mean what she wore isn't the real thing. Especially if given to her by someone in the RF.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Correct, the earrings that resemble Kate's on the estate jewelry site are paste, but that doesn't mean what she wore isn't the real thing. Especially if given to her by someone in the RF.
It is officially confirmed by Beaut Jewellery ((Beaut Jewellery)) that Catherine's Art Deco earrings is part of their vintage collection, and they are available for purchase. In other words, they are not paste, but rhinestones/CZs.

It would appear that Metier boutique in San Francisco passed off the same earrings as paste circa 1930, even though it's the same earrings sold by Beaut Jewellery. Possibly both stores bought/ordered the earrings from the same jewelry manufacturer.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Interesting; so that sounds like Kate got her earrings from Beaut Jewellery, unless it was the genuine article from a member of the RF.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Royal Highness

With all the wonderful earrings that I guess are available for Kate for wear, plus the wediing gifts we might assume she's received privately, I find it hard to believe that these are anything other than real diamonds.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Courtier

From Beaut Jewellery:

P R E S S R E L E A S E

11th November 2011

We can confirm that the earrings worn by the Duchess of Cambridge on Thursday are from Beaut’s Vintage Collection. The design worn by the Duchess of Cambridge is part of the collection supplied exclusively to Jenny Packham.

The earrings are silver with 9ct hoops with crystal paste stones and hand set in London.

Beaut is a small concession based in Grays Antique Markets who specialize in bespoke, bridal and vintage style jewellery.

Beaut Limited
Grays Antique Mews |South Molton Lane |Mayfair |London |W1
T: 020 7629 0688| 07771 628050 Beaut Jewellery
Old 11-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
With all the wonderful earrings that I guess are available for Kate for wear, plus the wediing gifts we might assume she's received privately, I find it hard to believe that these are anything other than real diamonds.
She used to wear lots of faux jewelry/sterling silver and gold plated earrings even before she married Prince William, so it's not that hard to believe that these earring aren't diamonds. There will be numerous occasions in the future where she will be wearing real diamonds and historical pieces.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Ha, so the princess wears paste! Thanks for the statement, Ayvee. I guess I'll wait for a confirmation first before assuming that Kate always wears genuine stones. I'm somewhat disappointed although these still are lovely earrings. Kate seems to like the art-deco style.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Courtier

Oh well thats a shame. I was getting a little excited thinking she has been given some lovely diamonds as wedding presents, and that we might see more wonderful pieces. I guess we will over time. But it will be difficult to know whether a piece is genuine or not.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:45 PM
Heir Apparent

I feel the same way because now every time I see Kate wear diamonds, I'll also be wondering whether or not they're genuine. Again, we have no idea what jewels she may have received as wedding gifts or regular gifts from the RF, so it'll always be a guessing game now about the origin of whatever she wears (except for the reworked diamond and sapphire earrings that belonged to Diana). And now, do we know for sure that the art-deco earring and bracelet set is genuine? It was never verified from whom Kate got those pieces.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:47 PM
Heir Apparent

You know it's strange, but when you have access to the real thing, wearing paste to a formal engagement seems "fake" in itself. Is the jewellery she wore to her last engagement, earrings and bracelet, are they paste too?

What a let-down. Instead of enjoying the sight of lovely "new" pieces, she's giving commercial firms free advertising. So next time it will be, "high street" and jewellery by "However claims fame on the next working day"!
Old 11-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, as we see, loud pronouncements on the company websites are certainly broadcasting that Kate is wearing their wares!
Old 11-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Yes, as we see, loud pronouncements on the company websites are certainly broadcasting that Kate is wearing their wares!
A good consequence of this is she helps the economy, because lots of other women are interested in buying what she wears - clothes, shoes, bags, belts, hats and jewelry.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Heir Apparent

True, there is the upside to Kate giving a boost to the economy, but for me I'm hoping that when it comes to the jewelry she'll start wearing more of the genuine pieces gifted to her.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Heir Apparent

OK we all knew Catherine would be turned into a show pony but why is it worse when it is fake jewellery she is wearing? Is it because clothing, whether high street or couture, is real?

Paste diamond jewellery at gala events is just tacky and cheap! It is presenting a false face to the world. Others may not be able to afford the "real thing" and use paste, but the BRF not only can afford it, they have a more that adequate supply stashed in the vaults and so do not even need to buy it.

Wearing paste diamond jewellery does not resonate with ordinary working class women, it is condescending, "Oh, the Duchess wears paste"? Like she can't afford the real thing? Yeah right!

That is what makes the whole thing fake!
Old 11-12-2011, 06:31 PM
Heir Apparent

I suppose my own feeling to wearing these "fabulous fakes" is that if you have the real thing, wear it, because we know the RF does have it and personally, I don't begrudge any of the royals digging out their priceless gems and wearing them at the appropriate occasions. I personally feel it would be a shame to keep them under wraps and wasting money buying paste bijoux in, what, the name of austerity? That doesn't make much sense to me. I know there's certainly no prohibition against a royal wearing costume jewelry - Diana did it -but nothing gratifies me more than to see gems that have been in the royal collection for a long time with provenance and historic worth to be brought out to be admired, especially those that haven't been worn in ages. I would have just loved those latest earrings to have been part of the massive Greville art deco jewel collection gifted to the QM by her very wealthy friend Mrs. Greville and finally dusted off and worn. One can always dream.... I just hope we will see some more of the real things soon, and not have to play the guessing game of, "Is it real, or is it paste?" Just my thoughts on the matter.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Courtier

Her majesty has many jewels not seen or used in a long time and should have some of these pieces reworked into modern settings for Kate. Queen Mary certainly did.
And I would expect that many of the Arab Shiekhs and Emirs would have sent gifts of real jewels. They are known for their genorosity in this area. And this is what we would love to see.