The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 07:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess-royal View Post
I think that the bracelet is quite tacky and unnecessary,,but then again I also think that about Charles's signet ring. The bracelet just seems to say 'I'm a duchess': there isn't anything particularly pretty about it.
When you think about it, what piece of jewelry is actually necessary? I understand that royal regalia does serve a function and is very obvious in its statement, but not a mere charm bracelet that's worn as fashion. Any item of jewelry I wear is strictly for ornamentation and not from necessity. And I've had a charm bracelet since I was a child; it was actually quite personal since my parents commemorated important occasions in my life by adding charms to it. But this is an item of jewelry that has to appeal to you, and certainly shouldn't be considered tacky by those who don't care for it. Charm bracelets actually seem to be making a comeback and Catherine's wearing one will probably continue the trend. Her charm is very subtle and discreet and no more shouts "I'm Duchess of Cambridge" than Diana wearing her Prince of Wales feather brooch/pendant and declaring to the world that she was the Princess of Wales. Catherine is a duchess, has the right to wear a charm with the ducal cypher and should enjoy it.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:00 PM
Serene Highness

Thank you! I was just contemplating taking out my charm bracelet that has the initials of my children and grandchildren and tossing it .... jk

Again, IMO this is a case that whatever Catherine does, wears, etc., is just wrong, wrong, wrong in the eyes of certain people ... plain and simple.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:47 PM
Serene Highness

I love charm bracelets, have the wonderful childhood one where my parents and my mom's best friend and her daughters gave me charms for significant events up into my 20's, and then there's the one my daughter gave me (and we still add to) when she was loving her job in the jewelry department at a department store - it was a lot of money for a kid to spend, it's beautiful and I like the whole idea of charm bracelets.

I've liked them since I was little, I will always like them and would wear one if I felt it like it on any regular daily jaunt. I think it's great Catherine is keeping that tradition.

I have my own list of behaviors and items I deem tacky, but none of the include someone else's jewelry.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Kate's earrings at Birmingham look like the ones she wore at the engagement announcement, if I'm not mistaken:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr....HfMioNG2YpI%3D
Old 08-22-2011, 02:24 AM
Royal Highness

Kate & Pippa’s Beachy Walk & Necklace Mystery Solved – It’s More Tiffany What Kate Wore

Kate's necklace that she wore for the engagement announcement is actually an Elsa Peretti for Tiffany's Cabachon by the Yard necklace. No wor dyet if the earrings are Tiffany's too. I love that she wears Tiffany's jewelry!
Old 08-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Some of Kate's pieces are so delicate, I find it hard to visualise her wearing some of the "serious" pieces in the Royal collection. The slightness of her frame also suggests she could be swamped by such jewellery. When I see the closeups, I do like her choices, but unfortunately they are often lost in the general pictures we see in the media.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:22 AM
Gentry

Location: Her Royal Highness lives in Beverly Hills California, United States
In my opinion Kate is a little bit too modest in the jewlery department. I believe she's trying to show people that she could care less about jewels or fashion.

PS: My opinion
Old 08-24-2011, 08:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
Some of Kate's pieces are so delicate, I find it hard to visualise her wearing some of the "serious" pieces in the Royal collection. The slightness of her frame also suggests she could be swamped by such jewellery. When I see the closeups, I do like her choices, but unfortunately they are often lost in the general pictures we see in the media.
I agree, I sometimes think we'll never see grand pieces from the collection being worn by Kate. And by grand, I also mean serious. I'm sure there have to be items that fit her frame without overwhelming her. She wears dangling earrings beautifully and I'd love to see something suitable that she can wear in necklaces as well. And a nice bracelet or two wouldn't go amiss, perhaps more like the diamond one she wore to the BAFTA event in LA.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think as she ages, she'll be more comfortable with some of the major pieces. A lot of them just work better on older women- they'd look too "fairy princess" on Kate. I bet that when she becomes Princess of Wales, she'll start wearing the more important pieces, but I doubt we'll see them til then.

Sadly.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
If large, impressive jewels are no longer fashionable, then shoot me now.

And what about that 18 carat sapphire engagement ring...or are rings excluded?
I agree 100%. large jewelry is actually trending and has been for quite some time.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Some posts have been moved across to a new thread:
Duchess of Cambridge Future Tiara Events
Old 09-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, I, for one, say global recession be D@&^ed! The jewels being discussed are not new, some of them are 5th generation (or 4th, I'm no expert on whose was what). As for wearing the jewels: Kate is not a "girl" and hasn't been one for about 10 years.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

You said it KittyAtlanta!!! Princess Diana was a shy young thing but she learned how to sport some serious statement pieces, I so hope Kate does this as well!!
Old 09-06-2011, 09:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Agree 100% with you both, KittyAtlanta and Rubies! Kate needs to avail herself of the royal treasure trove. If we can't wear them, then surely let's derive some pleasure from her doing so!!
Old 09-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Administrator in Memoriam

Discussion of the Prince of Wales buying royal-related pieces from the estate of Elizabeth Taylor has been moved to this thread:
Royal Jewellery Auctions & Exhibitions
Old 09-16-2011, 11:11 PM

kate1.jpg picture by miangellore - Photobucket
Old 09-17-2011, 11:14 AM
Heir Apparent

That's a nice montage of Kate's jewelry. I don't recall that three-strand pearl bracelet; wonder where she wore it?
Old 09-17-2011, 10:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
That's a nice montage of Kate's jewelry. I don't recall that three-strand pearl bracelet; wonder where she wore it?
Lady Rose Windsor's wedding. She also wore it when William became a knight of the Order of the Garter.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for that bit of info; being a pearl girl myself I always gravitate to this jewel and like seeing it worn by the royal ladies. Always adds such a classic touch to whatever outfit is worn.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Her choices IMO are okay pretty not elegant and though she is trying to remain low key and I think that this is good idea, for both of them, in the short term, I ask does she really need to carry it that far.I like her, but gosh I think she is the wife of Prince William she is not now "ordinary" and a little more would certainly be appropiate for her position. IMO

Closed Thread