The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 05:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Hmmm . . . . a pile of pearls with a whacking great, humongously enormous rectangular sapphire smack in the middle. Great heavens above . . . she'd look like cyclops!

http://0.tqn.com/d/jewelry/1/0/2/u/P...Diana-1995.jpg

I think I would prefer to see the necklace gracing someone's neck, be it Catherine or Harry's future wife.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
It would be interesting to see which of the princes inherited the stunning sapphire and pearl choker because, for me, it's as iconic a piece of jewelry as was Diana's engagement ring and Lovers Knot tiara (even though the latter is Crown property). I wonder if we'll see it grace Catherine's neck, or if she'll feel it's too large an item for her taste.
If I am not mistaken, the Cambridghe Lovers Knot tiara is not crown property, but the private property of HM.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:42 AM
Courtier

Yes I do think think the Cambridge Lovers Knot tiara is the property of HM. It certainly is a lovely piece and looked superb on Diana, however I am not certain if just anyone can "pull off" this tiara and still look classically elegant. The sapphire and pearl choker is also beautiful but again, because of it's size, will not just suit anyone. It would be wonderful though if these pieces were safely kept for Kate or Harry's future bride.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Oops, getting mixed up again with what's Crown property and what is HM's property! Thanks for clarifying about the Lovers Knot tiara. And the sapphire and pearl choker looks so amazing paired with the sapphire earrings on Diana in Marg's photo. I'd love to see that set photoshopped on Catherine just to imagine how she'd look in it. I can't visualize the necklace as a tiara, either.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Administrator

According to Suzy Menkes the only tiara apart from George IV's diadem which has been left to the Crown is the Regal Indian Tiara, a favourite of the Queen Mother.
All the rest are HM's private property.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you, Warren!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:24 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Hmmm . . . . a pile of pearls with a whacking great, humongously enormous rectangular sapphire smack in the middle. Great heavens above . . . she'd look like cyclops!

http://0.tqn.com/d/jewelry/1/0/2/u/P...Diana-1995.jpg

I think I would prefer to see the necklace gracing someone's neck, be it Catherine or Harry's future wife.
I also don´t think it would be good to work it into a tiara,I am not a big fan of changing beautiful jewels unless they are broken or need to be changed because they are too narrow or wide.

Maybe she is going to wear it when she´s getting older,IMO big jewels are not for young girls as they have enough natural beauty-but when you grow more mature you can wear bigger pieces and more make-up or try for flshier jewels while keeping your outfits simple and classic!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:30 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauerengel View Post
IMO big jewels are not for young girls as they have enough natural beauty-but when you grow more mature you can wear bigger pieces and more make-up or try for flshier jewels while keeping your outfits simple and classic!
I agree totally Blauerengel. Big jewels are not even fashionable anymore and tend to look more and more ridiculous every time I see an oversized necklace or head piece. In this day and age of wearing simpler oufits, large or "flashy" jewels are not always appropriate or even elegant for that matter. I think Kate has extremely good dress sense and will always opt for the smaller pieces that suit her overall look.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:02 AM
Heir Apparent

If large, impressive jewels are no longer fashionable, then shoot me now.

And what about that 18 carat sapphire engagement ring...or are rings excluded?
Old 08-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Couldn't agree with you more, so I'll join you on the firing line!
Old 08-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
That sapphire is huge. I think for that reason I'm not really a fan of the ring. I've seen similar rings with smaller stones, and they looked so much more elegant. Of course in this case, it would have been insensitive and rude to refuse the piece of jewelry.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post

According to Suzy Menkes the only tiara apart from George IV's diadem which has been left to the Crown is the Regal Indian Tiara, a favourite of the Queen Mother.
All the rest are HM's private property.
Keeping in mind that Leslie Field's book on the Royal Collection claims Queen Mary did, in fact, designate some pieces in her will as "belonging to the Crown to be worn in right of it". Other pieces were left to The Queen as her personal property.

Exactly which pieces is unknown, but it is speculated to include Queen Alexandra's jewels that were selected by George V from her collection after her death as state and wedding gifts, as well as pieces received from Queen Victoria as gifts.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:22 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
If large, impressive jewels are no longer fashionable, then shoot me now.

Oh Kitty dear, the 18 carat sapphire engagement ring (formerly Diana's) is absolutely beautiful. However it is neither "chunky", ostentacious or oversized. It is a lovely, lovely piece and even suits Kate perfectly. Remember, Diana chose and wore her jewellry very well. She did not need to sparkle from the ouside... she sparkled from within. Kate is proving to be the same and so is Sophie. The approach of "less is more" really does contribute to modern day elegance. Just look at current models and fashion icons who really do know about dress. Understated. Sorry, just my feelings on the matter.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:58 AM
Royal Highness

@Daisiesforever
I believe we agree! Understated luxury and good quality without trying too hard-this is modern and beautiful and I also like the engagement ring a lot :-)
Blue is a good colour for Catherine,the jewels look good on her!
Old 08-16-2011, 08:14 AM
Courtier

I agree. Sapphire blue is lovely, rich colour on Kate. Works well with her dark hair
Old 08-16-2011, 09:31 AM
Heir Apparent

That's why, at the risk of being repetitious, I would really love to see Kate wearing the sapphire and pearl choker if William has inherited this piece. With her coloring and long neck, I think it would look marvelous on her.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:38 AM
Courtier

Ooh yes Baroness. This is not an easy piece to "pull off". However I do think Kate can definitely do it. This beautiful choker will suit her to perfection.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
It would be interesting to see which of the princes inherited the stunning sapphire and pearl choker because, for me, it's as iconic a piece of jewelry as was Diana's engagement ring and Lovers Knot tiara (even though the latter is Crown property). I wonder if we'll see it grace Catherine's neck, or if she'll feel it's too large an item for her taste.

I read someplace that most of Diana's jewels went to Harry; the theory was that William's wife would have a vast selection to choose from once she became Queen, so Diana was trying to balance things out a bit.

I also read that George VI gave many gifts of jewelry to his two daughters, and it was always sapphires for Elizabeth and rubies for Margaret.
If that's the case, then there must be many items made of sapphires that Catherine will have access to someday.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Aristocracy

I'd read that as well and that Harry actually had the Sapphire engagement ring that was Diana's but gave it to William when he asked for it.

MM
Old 08-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Heir Apparent

I realize it was discussed earlier that Harry would have received most of Diana's jewels because of the wealth of jewelry available to William's wife as future queen consort. I had also heard that Harry originally had the sapphire ring in his possession, but gave it to William for Kate (such a generous little brother!). But I'm just speculating how the pearl choker would look on Kate if perhaps that was one of the few pieces William inherited. For some reason, that necklace has always knocked my socks off! A girl can always dream about whom she'd like to see wearing it....