The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennahPc View Post
I was just browsing through one of the British Jewels of the past threads and came across the Teck Circlet (or circle) necklace...
The Teck Diamond Circlet was given to The Queen Mother by Queen Mary. She wore it once as a headpiece and then it disappeared. She later gave it to Princess Margaret as a gift.

While no one can be sure at the present time, the necklace likely remains with Lady Sarah or Viscount Linley. I see no particular reason why The Queen might have claimed it belonged to the Royal Collection, especially since the Kents auctioned off Queen Mary's Cambridge sapphires, which also came from The Duchess of Teck.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
The diamond wedding earrings are a gift from her parents - they look lovely and delicate

I agree,

I love them .... very elegant and a lovely idea to include parts of the new family crest !!!

I also adored the elegant and understated necklace that her Mother Carole wore, it too included an Acorn from the family crest !!!

Old 08-04-2011, 09:41 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I do think that Kate has probably only been given access to a few pieces to start with, and will probably receive more in the years to come. Another reason may well be that, not having had access to much real jewellery previously, she may slowly be getting comfortable with a few pieces before she starts to use more. Watch this space, I think the girl has potential!

I agree. As she moves on in her Royal Role, she will no doubt want to wear different pieces, if for no other reason than we all do ...'for a change'!!!

*** I haven't read all 25 pages .. so apologise if this has already been said *** ...

I look forward to seeing the beautifu sapphire & diamond pendant, (that Diana had added to a pearl choker), again.
It was beautiful and matched her engagement ring superbly!
I wonder if Harry's wife will get it to use, or Williams - or if they share it??
Old 08-04-2011, 11:06 PM
Serene Highness

My thoughts: I think Catherine might be a bit uneasy picking and choosing from her late mother in law's collection, not wanting to be compared to her. Like the sapphire earrings we've seen recently I think she will choose some pieces and maybe have them re-set or re-styled. I think already having Diana's ring, she doesn't want to rush into her "trove".
Old 08-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
...although Clarence House, KP and indeed every other palace are all closely guarded etc, all Royal Jewels are kept in locked boxes in locked palace strongrooms...I am pretty sure that there is no strongroom at their rented house in North Wales!]
You've got some valid points about Catherine's difficulty in safeguarding jewels under her present living arrangements in Wales and her current status as a part-time royal not requiring many jewels at this point, but perhaps when they're in London for official engagements she can remove these jewels from the vaults, wear them and then return them for safekeeping when unneeded. I certainly wouldn't want to try to store them at the farmhouse in Wales either! I think most of us are just hoping that as the couple increases their visibility in the public eye, especially next year for the Queen's Jubilee and more trips overseas, Catheine will also increase her usage of gems, especially from Diana's collection. I know there are some beautiful sapphire/diamond bracelets that the late Princess wore that might be to Catherine's taste. And, of course, that glorious sapphire and diamond pearl choker! But, who knows, do you think that's too closely associated with Diana as is the Cambridge Lovers' Knot tiara for her to wear in the near future?
Old 08-05-2011, 02:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
But, who knows, do you think that's too closely associated with Diana as is the Cambridge Lovers' Knot tiara for her to wear in the near future?
I think that Kate being given Diana's engagement ring means that any further items previously worn by Diana is not an issue.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Aristocracy

I hope that in the future we see Catherine wearing more of the stunning jewellery that is hidden away in several vaults ( as the occasion demands). I don't think her wearing any of Diana's jewellery is a problem, in fact I think Diana would be pleased IMHO
Old 08-05-2011, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Yes, they may be "Diana's jewels" but they are now also royal heirlooms. Rather than languishing in the vaults for a couple of decades or more there's no reason why they shouldn't be worn. Anyone who feared that Catherine would somehow fade under the shadow of Diana cast by the engagement ring should be dissuaded of that idea by now. In a very short time she's proved to be her own person and wearing some jewellery previously owned by her husband's late mother won't change that.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Believe me, I'm a strong proponent of using these jewels rather than hiding them away because of comparisons and fear of overshadowing by prior wearers. If you had that mindset with all the royal jewels, then no piece would ever get worn again! Catherine should wear whatever she's entitled to, and I certainly look forward to seeing these dazzling sparklers once more.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:21 PM
Serene Highness

I'm wondering if the ring was really a choice for Kate. I mean, the guy presents it, you're not going to say anything. Especially the ring - so much energy in that piece worn for such a long time in recent times. I'd think twice before wearing my mother-in-law's rings. But that's me.

Hi.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:25 PM
Aristocracy

i bet a dime to a donut that her and william have talked about getting engaged and the ring he wanted to give her more than once in the last 8 years. the actual day and how he actually ask was the surprise. i bet she knew years ago the ring would be hers. if my mother in law had a ring to be proud of, and my husband asked me to wear it(assuming she is dead) i would be honored to wear it.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady of hay View Post
Ayvee, you are right . This then shows how close Catherine and Camilla are.

I agree with you & This is wonderful to see!
I think the bracelet with one charm looks lovely, and is indicative of the relationship shared by these two women, which is also lovely.
She won't be wearing Tiara's everyday, so why shouldn't she wear 'less fomal' & comfortable pieces?
I look forward to seeing more of her jewellery.
I'd love to know what other pieces she may have been given and by whom? (but I'm just being a sticky beak here!! hee hee)
Old 08-05-2011, 06:10 PM
Courtier

I concur with those who think that there should be no difficulty with Catherine wearing Diana's jewellery. As Warren so correctly says, Diana's pieces are royal heirlooms. I do however sometimes detect that some people are a little uncomfortable with Catherine wearing too much of Diana's jewellery, and indeed, I have read comments in the press from people who felt it was a little, well, 'creepy' for Catherine to be given Diana's engagement ring, both because of the unhappy marriage of Charles and Diana and also the slight unease the some people felt with William's statement that he wanted his mother too to be part of the engagement...........

In my very humble opinion, one way out of this dilemma is to 'empahise' the fact that Diana's jewels are now royal heirlooms by 'diluting' them with some historic pieces given to Catherine by the Queen. If times were not so hard in the UK right now, I would also have liked William to have commissioned one or two really lovely pieces for Catherine.

A fruther thought: this afternoon, as I came home from work past some of our 'High Street' shops, another though occurred to me about why Catherine has not been wearing too many 'statement pieces', by which I mean 'really ROYAL jewels' and it is this: one very major difference to me between Catherine and the two previous 'significant' Royal brides, i.e. Diana and Fergie is this: Catherine's 'formal royal' wardrobe still relies very heavily on pieces of High Street stores: yes, Catherine certainly has been wearing Designer gowns, but as we saw on her American / Canadian tour, Catherine wore some 'High Street' pieces alongside her designer pieces whist undertaking formal engagements.

And then look at her 'going away' outfit when she and William departed BP by helicopter after their wedding night: a very 'High Street' outfit, whereas Diana from memory left for Waterloo Station in a designer piece by Bellville Sassoon. Diana certainly owned 'High Street' pieices - for example, a lot of her knitwear came from High Sreet Store Benetton - but for her formal royal duties she almost exclusively wore Designer and very often Couture pieces...

Now let me stress that I actually think that it is very commendable that Catherine wears pieces from the High Street [ a very tactful move considering there is a recession on as well] but I suppose it could look a bit incongruous to wear an almost priceless piece of Royal 'Statement' Jewellery with a Reiss frock that costs just £122. [I thought of this as I walked past Reiss on the way home - in its window it is displaying its Sale stock and although none of the items on sale are pieces that Catherine has actually bought, the window is full the very same distinctive house style. Indeed many of the pieces that Catherine has bought from that particular store are not even made from very 'luxurious' fabrics, despite the store's CEO maintaing that all the store's clothes are 'affordable luxury': Catherine's dresses from Reiss are often 100% synthetic, not even a silk mix or the sort of light summer wool fabrics favoured by Diana. Polyester and Priceless Platinum set Saphires could be a bit of a difficult mix!

Just my thoughts,

Alex
Old 08-05-2011, 09:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Mixing various historic pieces from the "jewel pool" is certainly a good idea. I had also heard/read similar comments and reactions about Kate wearing that engagement ring in addition to a possible appearance of the famous Cambridge Lovers Knot tiara. For me, though, I really look forward to seeing once again the beautiful jewelry worn by the late Princess only because they haven't been seen for quite awhile, they shouldn't vegetate in the vaults from disuse, and it would be a pleasure to see them worn again by a lovely young woman. Of course, that doesn't mean Catherine should wear only these pieces and nothing else. To wear a mixed bag of gems would also give the rest of us opportunities to see more wonderful goodies revealed from the vaults. But to see that wonderful sapphire and diamond pearl choker again....

As far as new pieces commissioned for Catherine, do we know if the earrings she wore to the concert in Canada and to Zara's wedding was a new item or something from the vaults?
Old 08-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Courtier

It could also be that Harry has some of these pieces and we won't see them until he has a bride. Catherine will have access to a lot more pieces then she will. I also think Catherine's style is simple and she isn't comfortable wearing big statement pieces of jewelry. So far she hasn't had that many evening events to wear anything major too. In time her wardrobe may change I think it is good that she is being mindful about money but there will come a time when she will need more designer dresses. For the moment she wants to be a wife and there is no push on her to do many royal duties unlike Diana who was doing them pretty much from day 1. I think it is a good thing that Kate has been given time to adjust we will just all need to be patient. In time we will see the jewels probably some from Diana and some from the Queen. You are right the clothes she wears just doesn't fit with really expensive jewelry it would take away from the dress and show it up. I also don't think Kate is a very jewelry kind of girl!
Old 08-05-2011, 10:03 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shari-aree View Post
*** I haven't read all 25 pages .. so apologise if this has already been said *** ...

I look forward to seeing the beautifu sapphire & diamond pendant, (that Diana had added to a pearl choker), again.

It was beautiful and matched her engagement ring superbly!

I wonder if Harry's wife will get it to use, or Williams - or if they share it??

I thought Camilla was seen wearing the pearl/sapphire choker (re-styled) as a broach....

MM
Old 08-05-2011, 10:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
It could also be that Harry has some of these pieces and we won't see them until he has a bride...
Yes, Harry may very well have some of these pieces so we'd have to wait until he acquires a bride. Kate's taste doesn't seem to run to that type of jewelry, at least now in her current position and situation. We've seen what her preference is like. However, I do hope that as she eases into her role, she'll start wearing more of the statement pieces - but not necessarily large ones if they don't suit her. After all, tastes can change and develop with more maturity, and she might also develop a fashion style that enhances the jewelry. Who knows...only time will tell; certainly not my crystal ball!
Old 08-06-2011, 08:32 AM
Aristocracy

.......... Another thought to add to this discussion......
Maybe...
When The Duchess of Cambridge, (The wife of the heir to the heir), becomes The Princess of Wales, (The wife of the heir), and her Royal duties increase, she may have a need of more Jewels and we'll get to see some wonderful pieces again!
Just a late night thought!
Old 08-06-2011, 09:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestern Mom View Post
I thought Camilla was seen wearing the pearl/sapphire choker (re-styled) as a broach....

MM
Once again, Diana's personal (non royal) jewels were left to her sons!!!!!
Old 08-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Once again, Diana's personal (non royal) jewels were left to her sons!!!!!

Ok...did I say they weren't? I do not have a list of Diana's personal and non-personal jewelry. I'm sorry you are frustrated about the issue but you don't have to get impatient about it.

MM