The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #461  
Old 08-01-2011, 06:26 PM
KittyAtlanta's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KittyLand Junction, United States
Posts: 2,982
Fasc, you are most probably right. However, substantial doesn't have to be B-I-G.
A nice, 3 ct. sapphire, perhaps oval to go with the ring, as a solitaire pendant would be considered substantial.

However, I think I find the both the disk thingie pendant and the charm bracelet industrial looking and not pretty at all.

However, they will be appropriate to pass along to a daughter, if they have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
I'm really hoping that Kate will start wearing more of the sapphire pieces from Diana's jewels. She's already worn sapphire earrings that may have come from that collection, which is a start, and I'd love to see her start wearing more of the gems on upcoming occasions. It would be shame that they're not being used because of austerity reasoning; I don't think it's any better to have any jewel collect dust from disuse. Hopefully, this will change down the road with some time, but not too long, I hope!
I see nothing wrong with Kate wearing Diana's jewelry and agree that hidden, already-owned jewelry should not be considered extravagant. It is extravagant to have them and not use them (oh wait, you said that didn't you!!!) I am sure there are lovely items that haven't seen the light of day for over 15 years that people would enjoy seeing again.
__________________

__________________
  #462  
Old 08-01-2011, 07:19 PM
sirhon11234's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Here's a nice side-by-side view of the two occasions at which Catherine wore these earrings. Seeing them worn at the wedding makes me think they might be a gift from William or her parents-in-law.

http://whatkatewore.com/wp-content/u...ay-Reuters.jpg
The earrings look very art deco.
__________________

__________________
"I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved."
Diana, the Princess of Wales
  #463  
Old 08-02-2011, 04:15 AM
muriel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,210
I do think that Kate has probably only been given access to a few pieces to start with, and will probably receive more in the years to come. Another reason may well be that, not having had access to much real jewellery previously, she may slowly be getting comfortable with a few pieces before she starts to use more. Watch this space, I think the girl has potential!
__________________
  #464  
Old 08-02-2011, 07:59 AM
Daisiesforever's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 609
As I said before, I do not think Kate is going to rush to have herself "encrusted" with jewels. She has some lovely and simply pieces already which suit her. I cannot wait to see her wear the diamond polar bear earing and brooch set she received recently in Canada.
__________________
  #465  
Old 08-02-2011, 08:03 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: casablanca, Morocco
Posts: 256
sorry for the question but are all the queen jewels will passe to catherine when she became queen
__________________
  #466  
Old 08-02-2011, 09:10 AM
rubies's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: daytona beach, United States
Posts: 2,257
This is an interesting topic because I have always thought you either have the itch to wear beautiful jewels or you don't. I have always gone for more substantial jewels.(no silver charm bracelets for me) but Kate is in a somewhat strange place. She herself seems to like smaller things, I think its her personality, so we will have to wait and see if wearing jewels becomes part of the 'job' or if she really appreciates and enjoys the art of jewels! I do hope its the latter for I too would love to see her in some of Diana's amazing collection!
__________________
  #467  
Old 08-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Aliza's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tel Aviv, Israel
Posts: 240
While of course, I'd simply adore seeing Kate in some of Diana's jewellery, I do hope most of it is saved for Prince Harry's future bride! Kate will one day have access to one of the world's best collection of jewellery when she becomes Queen which will obviously not be the case for Harry's wife.

The only bracelet of Kate's I did not like was the gold charm bracelet, because of the charm. It had Kate's cypher with a crowned "C" on one side and Camilla's crowned "C" cypher on the other side. I gasped when I thought through the implications of that gift. Famously, Diana objected to Charles wearing double "C" cufflinks from Camilla on Charles and Diana's honeymoon. Then shortly after the Cambridge's wedding, we see Diana's son's wife wearing a different concept of the two "C"s, but still basically the same idea of unity through matching initials. I wonder if this has occurred to William and I'm sure it did not occur to Kate, however I'm very confident it DID occur to Camilla.

Most of all, I'm surprised that no British tabloid picked up on this... or maybe I missed something?
__________________
  #468  
Old 08-02-2011, 09:27 AM
Elly C's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Worcester, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,892
Kate so far appears to like her jewellery to be understated which goes against most of the collection she will soon have at her disposal. I think the Maple leaf brooch (which I really liked on her) was worn as a prefunctory piece - I can imagine the Queen or someone saying " this will go down well" and Kate seeing this as her duty to wear something appropriate. Hopefully she will develop a greater attraction to wearing stunning jewellery but it doesn't seem to be there at the moment.
__________________
  #469  
Old 08-02-2011, 09:29 AM
Daisiesforever's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubies View Post
so we will have to wait and see if wearing jewels becomes part of the 'job' or if she really appreciates and enjoys the art of jewels! I do hope its the latter for I too would love to see her in some of Diana's amazing collection!
Yes Ruby, I think Prince William, with time, will ensure that Kate has the opportunity to wear some of Diana's pieces. In the meantime, I think Kate is taking it "slow" whilst she familiarises herself with her new position.
__________________
  #470  
Old 08-02-2011, 09:42 AM
KittyAtlanta's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KittyLand Junction, United States
Posts: 2,982
I do like the Polar Bear set presented to Kate. Sadly, I think the only time we will ever see it is when she is in Canada.
__________________
  #471  
Old 08-02-2011, 09:54 AM
muriel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliza View Post
The only bracelet of Kate's I did not like was the gold charm bracelet, because of the charm. It had Kate's cypher with a crowned "C" on one side and Camilla's crowned "C" cypher on the other side. I gasped when I thought through the implications of that gift. Famously, Diana objected to Charles wearing double "C" cufflinks from Camilla on Charles and Diana's honeymoon. Then shortly after the Cambridge's wedding, we see Diana's son's wife wearing a different concept of the two "C"s, but still basically the same idea of unity through matching initials. I wonder if this has occurred to William and I'm sure it did not occur to Kate, however I'm very confident it DID occur to Camilla.

Most of all, I'm surprised that no British tabloid picked up on this... or maybe I missed something?
I really do not see any point in this. It is clear that Camilla has a good relationship with both William and Catherine, and the charm should really be seen in view of the ongoing relationship between the two women. The only mother-in-law figure that Catherine will see is Camilla. Diana, unfortunately, is no longer around, and Catherine will have no relationship with her directly, so lets not try and create connections that IMO, really have no relevance today.
__________________
  #472  
Old 08-02-2011, 10:45 AM
sirhon11234's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,464
Perhaps Kate isn't much of a jewelery person, and prefers to wear smaller pieces. But it does appear that she is slowly easing her around wearing these pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I do like the Polar Bear set presented to Kate. Sadly, I think the only time we will ever see it is when she is in Canada.
I agree I don't know where else she would wear it to.
__________________
"I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved."
Diana, the Princess of Wales
  #473  
Old 08-02-2011, 06:05 PM
rubies's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: daytona beach, United States
Posts: 2,257
Aliza you are so right!.......oops I forgot that she will have access in time to the" Queens jewels"So I guess some of the loot should be saved for Harry!
__________________
  #474  
Old 08-02-2011, 07:40 PM
Baroness of Books's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bookstacks, United States
Posts: 5,772
It probably does go against the grain for Kate to wear more substantial pieces. Putting myself in her place, if I came from a fairly modest middle-class background marrying into the royal family and presented with an array of gorgeous jewels that I'd never in my lifetime imagined I'd be wearing, I'd probably be overwhelmed at first. Especially if I've been accustomed to only wearing modest pieces up to now. Of course, much of the big substantial items are off limits to her at this point due to the hierarchical structure of the RF, but I'm really hoping that the other pieces that are offered to her she'll come to wear in due time as she settles more comfortably in her role. As Rubies says, we have to see if wearing jewels becomes part of Kate's "job" or if she really appreciates and enjoys the art of jewels. Oh, to be faced with such a dilemma!
__________________
  #475  
Old 08-03-2011, 09:33 PM
JennahPc's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 50
I was just browsing through one of the British Jewels of the past threads and came across the Teck Circlet (or circle) necklace. This site is such a treasure trove of information. I would love to see this beautiful necklace around the neck of the Duchess of Cambridge. It has some nice historical relevance and although substantial would match her style nicely (although it may over power her slender frame). My guess is that it will be some time (if ever) before we would see her in something like this. Does anyone know of a clear picture of it worn as a tiara? Was it on loan to Princess Margaret? A truly stunning piece.
__________________
  #476  
Old 08-04-2011, 09:26 AM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,425
Somehow posts concerning the Spencer Family Tiara and the Earl Spencer's refusal to allow Diana to move into a cottage on the Althorp Estate have got mixed up in this, the Duchess of Cambridge jewellery thread. These and other equally irrelevant posts have been removed.

Warren
Royal Jewels moderator
__________________
Seeking information? Check out the extensive Royal A-Z
  #477  
Old 08-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Aliza's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tel Aviv, Israel
Posts: 240
I never saw Margaret wear the Teck circlet as a tiara, but I did see PM wear it as a necklace. I think the Teck circlet as a necklace would look fantastic on Kate Cambridge; she has the dark hair, delicate shape of face, and while the circlet is opulent, it somehow has a bit of a discreet way about it when worn as a tiara. I think it would suit Kate wonderfully in a few years as she becomes more comfortable with significant pieces.
__________________
  #478  
Old 08-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Berkshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 643
Perhaps one reason why we have not seen Catherine in what I will call 'substantial' pieces of jewellery is because she is not a 'full time working royal' but a mostly the wife of a serving RAF officer. By contrast Diana began a full time 'career' as a 'working Royal' as soon as she was married [even on her honeymoon, the newly wed couple stopped for a meeting with the President of Egypt (from memory). In fact, Diana's career as a 'full time working royal' really began during her engagement, as she and Charles carried out a greater number of pre-wedding engements than did Williams and Catherine. [and by the way, I am not criticizing Catherine for choosing to spend her time as a housewife.]

I think that if Catherine had a programme of some 4 or 5 engagements a week, including some formal dinners, appearances at Charity Balls etc she would probably have been seen in more jewellery.

[Slighty off-topic: one reason why Diana's 'Royal jewellery' reverted to the Queen on her death was not just to avoid 'dissipating the Royal Collection' but to avoid the jewellery becoming assessable for the UK's 'inheritance tax'. The Queen is exempt from IHT. Any jewellery owned outright by Diana formed part of her Estate and was assessable for tax]

Incidentally, although Clarence House, KP and indeed every other palace are all closely guarded etc, all Royal Jewels are kept in locked boxes in locked palace strongrooms. My own personal opinion is that Catherine has not really been given too many pieces yet because there has been no real opportunity to visit the Royal strongrooms, if you see what I mean. [and I am pretty sure that there is no strongroom at their rented house in North Wales!]

Final point: although Catherine's present jewellery seems quite modest, IIRC it has all been real! Diana, even though she had access to all that priceless treasure, did also wear costume jewellery. She used to have a diamante Lizard from Butler and Wilson, which she wore on the lapel of an evening jacket. I even saw her going into Monty Don once [in those days, he and his wife Sarah were costume jewellers, nowadays he is a tv garden presenter]. I also remember Diana wearing a pair of faux pearl earrings which came from the Metropolitan Museum [New York] gift shop.


Totally off-topic: lucky me, I see have the same Asprey pendant that Catherine has. It was a 'popular' present in England.

Alex
__________________
  #479  
Old 08-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Berkshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
However, I think I find the both the disk thingie pendant and the charm bracelet industrial looking and not pretty at all.
Kitty, you are so right when you say that the 'disk thingie' doesn't look pretty at all. However, I can tell you that it actually looks much better in 'real life' than it does in photographs. In fact I think it comes up as a bit ugly in photos. It is the Asprey button pendant and was quite a popular present here in the UK some months back - I've got one and it looks pretty good with daywear - it is a sort of upscale 'Elsa Peretti Tiffany heart' if you know the piece I mean. I would never wear mine as a sort of 'statement piece' if you can understand the point I am trying to make; for a start, it is too 'modest' to wear on an important occasion. It is the type of piece that makes a modest outfit look 'finished' and a piece that I feel I can wear 'in relative safety' on (say) public transport if you see what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I see nothing wrong with Kate wearing Diana's jewelry and agree that hidden, already-owned jewelry should not be considered extravagant. It is extravagant to have them and not use them (oh wait, you said that didn't you!!!) I am sure there are lovely items that haven't seen the light of day for over 15 years that people would enjoy seeing again .
Again, Kitty, I agree 100 per cent with you about there should be nothing WRONG in wearing 'existing' jewellery. [slightly off topic, but when I was a teenageer, I sometimes (for some odd reason) felt reluctant to wear (say) a new dress I had unless there was a special occasion. And my adored, darling mother always used to say 'For goodness' sake WEAR it - what are you saving it for, your funeral?' In other words, just feel happy about going ahead and wearing it.] But the thing is, this recession is having a funny effect on people, and not everyone is thinking logically and for some reason people feel it is 'insentive' to remind people of their good fortune. [Do you know, I actually have several friends who are 'doing ok' in their jobs, with promotions and/ or salary increases etc, but they hardly dare mention this or even book their usual holidays abroad because it could all be taken to be insenitive .] The BRF always finds itself the target of criticism in recessions and I suppose that the present stance on jewellery wearing could be regarded as part and parcel of 'keeping a low profile'. Remember, too, that in these last few months, BP and Parliament have been negotiating (for want of a better word) on the funding of the BRF. Keeping the jewellery from the public arena may, in my very humble opinion, just be part of the strategy to avoid some MP looking for a cheap way to score points by saying ' if the BRF is so short of money why don't they sell their b____ tiaras?' An exceedingly ignorant comment of course, because for starters, the pieces are not the Queen's to sell - it's the same as HM not being to sell the pictures from the Royal Collection. The other point is that there are still pieces of the Queen's collection of jewels that have NEVER been seen in public because they have never been worn by the Queen because they have NEVER been required - she has a large pool of tiaras / necklaces etc to draw upon already. You don't want to run the risk of some MP, anxious to make a mark for himself as a republican, to be reminded of the Queen's jewellery and then to stand up and suggest in the House of Commons that a full audit of the jewels should be made with a view of selling the items that are never worn etc etc etc. It's a cheap political trick, but one that I suspect has already been identified as a 'risk' by the Queen's advisors, and therefore a 'risk' that needs to be 'managed'. and perhaps the best way of doing this in a recession is for a 'low profile approach' to be adopted.

Only my thoughts

Alex

PS - I always remember for years that stories used to be leaked to the press that Camilla had no interest in clothes [she reputedly only ever had one evening dress (for Hunt Balls) for example] or hair and beauty [she was always far more keen on hunting) or in jewellery. [ of of becoming Charles' wife come to that!!) And now look at this newly- blonded Royal Duchess, clad in expensive clothes and when the event demands it, dripping in jewellery. Give Catherine time!

Alex
__________________
  #480  
Old 08-04-2011, 09:01 PM
JennahPc's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 50
I look at Catherine's recent pieces such as the disk pendant in a similar light of Diana's "D" pendant or her paste earrings. They are representative of the times but eventually she will wear historical pieces as well as accumulate some of her own. And I can't wait until we see her in some grand pieces.
Any news on her LA earrings?
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events Thread 2: 1 December 2011 - 1 April 2012 Zonk Current Events Archive 887 04-03-2012 10:16 PM
Duchess of Cambridge current events 1: 29 April 2011- 31 January 2012 wbenson Current Events Archive 1025 02-01-2012 05:47 PM
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge current events 1: 29 April 2011- 30 November 2011 wbenson Current Events Archive 1081 12-01-2011 01:42 PM




Popular Tags
abdication belgium birth carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jewellery jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility olympics ottoman poland president hollande prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess mabel princess margriet princess mary princess mary fashion queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:31 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]