Duchess of Cambridge Jewellery 1: April-December 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lovely earrings and I adore Catherine's hair that way. I wish she would wear it that way more often.

I suspect they are part of a larger demi-parure, so lets wait till we get to see the matching necklace and possibly, a bracelet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I really hope those earrings are part of a larger collection; I can't wait to see that!

That's an interesting observation, KittyAtlanta...do you think that Catherine should be wearing more substantial pieces or perhaps some (more) from HM's or Diana's collections? I'd like to know your thoughts. I like the necklace but have to agree that it's nothing outstanding. I admit that part of what I like about Catherine's style of dressing is that it is still accessible to many of us. I suppose that will change over the years....

I realize that everyone's taste is different, but I am a bit puzzled that she is still choosing what I call "teenage" jewelry. Probably not the case, but it makes me ponder that she might not like her engagement ring too much. I don't think her engagement ring is anything she would have chosen for herself.

So, it really is the paradox of substantial v. lightweight stuff.

I suspect they are part of a larger demi-parure, so lets wait till we get to see the matching necklace and possibly, a bracelet.
I think the earrings match the bracelet she wore at the BAFTA event in LA

It would be great to get a photo of that bracelet from BAFTA for comparison.

I realize that everyone's taste is different, but I am a bit puzzled that she is still choosing what I call "teenage" jewelry.
Yes I agree KittyAtlanta. I find some of her choices for quite important events to be a little disappointing & unimaginative. Whereas I find her choice of designers /accessories more interesting & accomplished. I think it's interesting to make a comparison with Charlene of Monaco on this point - she has started to wear some interesting jewellery and has already acquired some quite stunning items. I have read posts where the reasoning has been that Kate/ the Royal Family are being sensitive to the current economic situation, but frankly I can't follow this line of argument. The jewels are already in the possession of the monarchy, and wearing a few sparklers isn't going to change an individual's perception about the wealth of royalty.
I think Princess Michael should take her in hand ;)

I'm really hoping that Kate will start wearing more of the sapphire pieces from Diana's jewels. She's already worn sapphire earrings that may have come from that collection, which is a start, and I'd love to see her start wearing more of the gems on upcoming occasions. It would be shame that they're not being used because of austerity reasoning; I don't think it's any better to have any jewel collect dust from disuse. Hopefully, this will change down the road with some time, but not too long, I hope!

As a non royal without a single piece of her own substantial jewelry, I think she'll have to take her time before she starts borrowing any of the queen's substantial pieces. Any piece that is not EXTREMELY modest and restrained will have her hounded as greedy by the press.

After she has her first child, watch out!

Fasc, you are most probably right. However, substantial doesn't have to be B-I-G.
A nice, 3 ct. sapphire, perhaps oval to go with the ring, as a solitaire pendant would be considered substantial.

However, I think I find the both the disk thingie pendant and the charm bracelet industrial looking and not pretty at all.

However, they will be appropriate to pass along to a daughter, if they have one.

I'm really hoping that Kate will start wearing more of the sapphire pieces from Diana's jewels. She's already worn sapphire earrings that may have come from that collection, which is a start, and I'd love to see her start wearing more of the gems on upcoming occasions. It would be shame that they're not being used because of austerity reasoning; I don't think it's any better to have any jewel collect dust from disuse. Hopefully, this will change down the road with some time, but not too long, I hope!

I see nothing wrong with Kate wearing Diana's jewelry and agree that hidden, already-owned jewelry should not be considered extravagant. It is extravagant to have them and not use them (oh wait, you said that didn't you!!!) I am sure there are lovely items that haven't seen the light of day for over 15 years that people would enjoy seeing again.

Last edited:
I do think that Kate has probably only been given access to a few pieces to start with, and will probably receive more in the years to come. Another reason may well be that, not having had access to much real jewellery previously, she may slowly be getting comfortable with a few pieces before she starts to use more. Watch this space, I think the girl has potential!

As I said before, I do not think Kate is going to rush to have herself "encrusted" with jewels. She has some lovely and simply pieces already which suit her. I cannot wait to see her wear the diamond polar bear earing and brooch set she received recently in Canada.

Last edited:
sorry for the question but are all the queen jewels will passe to catherine when she became queen

This is an interesting topic because I have always thought you either have the itch to wear beautiful jewels or you don't. I have always gone for more substantial jewels.(no silver charm bracelets for me) but Kate is in a somewhat strange place. She herself seems to like smaller things, I think its her personality, so we will have to wait and see if wearing jewels becomes part of the 'job' or if she really appreciates and enjoys the art of jewels! I do hope its the latter for I too would love to see her in some of Diana's amazing collection!

While of course, I'd simply adore seeing Kate in some of Diana's jewellery, I do hope most of it is saved for Prince Harry's future bride! Kate will one day have access to one of the world's best collection of jewellery when she becomes Queen which will obviously not be the case for Harry's wife.

The only bracelet of Kate's I did not like was the gold charm bracelet, because of the charm. It had Kate's cypher with a crowned "C" on one side and Camilla's crowned "C" cypher on the other side. I gasped when I thought through the implications of that gift. Famously, Diana objected to Charles wearing double "C" cufflinks from Camilla on Charles and Diana's honeymoon. Then shortly after the Cambridge's wedding, we see Diana's son's wife wearing a different concept of the two "C"s, but still basically the same idea of unity through matching initials. I wonder if this has occurred to William and I'm sure it did not occur to Kate, however I'm very confident it DID occur to Camilla.:eek:

Most of all, I'm surprised that no British tabloid picked up on this... or maybe I missed something?:ohmy:

Kate so far appears to like her jewellery to be understated which goes against most of the collection she will soon have at her disposal. I think the Maple leaf brooch (which I really liked on her) was worn as a prefunctory piece - I can imagine the Queen or someone saying " this will go down well" and Kate seeing this as her duty to wear something appropriate. Hopefully she will develop a greater attraction to wearing stunning jewellery but it doesn't seem to be there at the moment.

so we will have to wait and see if wearing jewels becomes part of the 'job' or if she really appreciates and enjoys the art of jewels! I do hope its the latter for I too would love to see her in some of Diana's amazing collection!

Yes Ruby, I think Prince William, with time, will ensure that Kate has the opportunity to wear some of Diana's pieces. In the meantime, I think Kate is taking it "slow" whilst she familiarises herself with her new position.

Last edited:
I do like the Polar Bear set presented to Kate. Sadly, I think the only time we will ever see it is when she is in Canada.

The only bracelet of Kate's I did not like was the gold charm bracelet, because of the charm. It had Kate's cypher with a crowned "C" on one side and Camilla's crowned "C" cypher on the other side. I gasped when I thought through the implications of that gift. Famously, Diana objected to Charles wearing double "C" cufflinks from Camilla on Charles and Diana's honeymoon. Then shortly after the Cambridge's wedding, we see Diana's son's wife wearing a different concept of the two "C"s, but still basically the same idea of unity through matching initials. I wonder if this has occurred to William and I'm sure it did not occur to Kate, however I'm very confident it DID occur to Camilla.:eek:

Most of all, I'm surprised that no British tabloid picked up on this... or maybe I missed something?:ohmy:

I really do not see any point in this. It is clear that Camilla has a good relationship with both William and Catherine, and the charm should really be seen in view of the ongoing relationship between the two women. The only mother-in-law figure that Catherine will see is Camilla. Diana, unfortunately, is no longer around, and Catherine will have no relationship with her directly, so lets not try and create connections that IMO, really have no relevance today.

Perhaps Kate isn't much of a jewelery person, and prefers to wear smaller pieces. But it does appear that she is slowly easing her around wearing these pieces.

I do like the Polar Bear set presented to Kate. Sadly, I think the only time we will ever see it is when she is in Canada.
I agree I don't know where else she would wear it to.

Aliza you are so right!.......oops I forgot that she will have access in time to the" Queens jewels":ROFLMAO:So I guess some of the loot should be saved for Harry!

It probably does go against the grain for Kate to wear more substantial pieces. Putting myself in her place, if I came from a fairly modest middle-class background marrying into the royal family and presented with an array of gorgeous jewels that I'd never in my lifetime imagined I'd be wearing, I'd probably be overwhelmed at first. Especially if I've been accustomed to only wearing modest pieces up to now. Of course, much of the big substantial items are off limits to her at this point due to the hierarchical structure of the RF, but I'm really hoping that the other pieces that are offered to her she'll come to wear in due time as she settles more comfortably in her role. As Rubies says, we have to see if wearing jewels becomes part of Kate's "job" or if she really appreciates and enjoys the art of jewels. Oh, to be faced with such a dilemma!:D

I was just browsing through one of the British Jewels of the past threads and came across the Teck Circlet (or circle) necklace. This site is such a treasure trove of information. I would love to see this beautiful necklace around the neck of the Duchess of Cambridge. It has some nice historical relevance and although substantial would match her style nicely (although it may over power her slender frame). My guess is that it will be some time (if ever) before we would see her in something like this. Does anyone know of a clear picture of it worn as a tiara? Was it on loan to Princess Margaret? A truly stunning piece.

Somehow posts concerning the Spencer Family Tiara and the Earl Spencer's refusal to allow Diana to move into a cottage on the Althorp Estate have got mixed up in this, the Duchess of Cambridge jewellery thread. These and other equally irrelevant posts have been removed.

Warren
Royal Jewels moderator

I never saw Margaret wear the Teck circlet as a tiara, but I did see PM wear it as a necklace. I think the Teck circlet as a necklace would look fantastic on Kate Cambridge; she has the dark hair, delicate shape of face, and while the circlet is opulent, it somehow has a bit of a discreet way about it when worn as a tiara. I think it would suit Kate wonderfully in a few years as she becomes more comfortable with significant pieces.

Perhaps one reason why we have not seen Catherine in what I will call 'substantial' pieces of jewellery is because she is not a 'full time working royal' but a mostly the wife of a serving RAF officer. By contrast Diana began a full time 'career' as a 'working Royal' as soon as she was married [even on her honeymoon, the newly wed couple stopped for a meeting with the President of Egypt (from memory). In fact, Diana's career as a 'full time working royal' really began during her engagement, as she and Charles carried out a greater number of pre-wedding engements than did Williams and Catherine. [and by the way, I am not criticizing Catherine for choosing to spend her time as a housewife.]

I think that if Catherine had a programme of some 4 or 5 engagements a week, including some formal dinners, appearances at Charity Balls etc she would probably have been seen in more jewellery.

[Slighty off-topic: one reason why Diana's 'Royal jewellery' reverted to the Queen on her death was not just to avoid 'dissipating the Royal Collection' but to avoid the jewellery becoming assessable for the UK's 'inheritance tax'. The Queen is exempt from IHT. Any jewellery owned outright by Diana formed part of her Estate and was assessable for tax]

Incidentally, although Clarence House, KP and indeed every other palace are all closely guarded etc, all Royal Jewels are kept in locked boxes in locked palace strongrooms. My own personal opinion is that Catherine has not really been given too many pieces yet because there has been no real opportunity to visit the Royal strongrooms, if you see what I mean. [and I am pretty sure that there is no strongroom at their rented house in North Wales!]

Final point: although Catherine's present jewellery seems quite modest, IIRC it has all been real! Diana, even though she had access to all that priceless treasure, did also wear costume jewellery. She used to have a diamante Lizard from Butler and Wilson, which she wore on the lapel of an evening jacket. I even saw her going into Monty Don once [in those days, he and his wife Sarah were costume jewellers, nowadays he is a tv garden presenter]. I also remember Diana wearing a pair of faux pearl earrings which came from the Metropolitan Museum [New York] gift shop.

Totally off-topic: lucky me, I see have the same Asprey pendant that Catherine has. It was a 'popular' present in England.

Alex

However, I think I find the both the disk thingie pendant and the charm bracelet industrial looking and not pretty at all.

Kitty, you are so right when you say that the 'disk thingie' doesn't look pretty at all. However, I can tell you that it actually looks much better in 'real life' than it does in photographs. In fact I think it comes up as a bit ugly in photos. It is the Asprey button pendant and was quite a popular present here in the UK some months back - I've got one and it looks pretty good with daywear - it is a sort of upscale 'Elsa Peretti Tiffany heart' if you know the piece I mean. I would never wear mine as a sort of 'statement piece' if you can understand the point I am trying to make; for a start, it is too 'modest' to wear on an important occasion. It is the type of piece that makes a modest outfit look 'finished' and a piece that I feel I can wear 'in relative safety' on (say) public transport if you see what I mean.

I see nothing wrong with Kate wearing Diana's jewelry and agree that hidden, already-owned jewelry should not be considered extravagant. It is extravagant to have them and not use them (oh wait, you said that didn't you!!!) I am sure there are lovely items that haven't seen the light of day for over 15 years that people would enjoy seeing again .

Again, Kitty, I agree 100 per cent with you about there should be nothing WRONG in wearing 'existing' jewellery. [slightly off topic, but when I was a teenageer, I sometimes (for some odd reason) felt reluctant to wear (say) a new dress I had unless there was a special occasion. And my adored, darling mother always used to say 'For goodness' sake WEAR it - what are you saving it for, your funeral?' In other words, just feel happy about going ahead and wearing it.] But the thing is, this recession is having a funny effect on people, and not everyone is thinking logically and for some reason people feel it is 'insentive' to remind people of their good fortune. [Do you know, I actually have several friends who are 'doing ok' in their jobs, with promotions and/ or salary increases etc, but they hardly dare mention this or even book their usual holidays abroad because it could all be taken to be insenitive .] The BRF always finds itself the target of criticism in recessions and I suppose that the present stance on jewellery wearing could be regarded as part and parcel of 'keeping a low profile'. Remember, too, that in these last few months, BP and Parliament have been negotiating (for want of a better word) on the funding of the BRF. Keeping the jewellery from the public arena may, in my very humble opinion, just be part of the strategy to avoid some MP looking for a cheap way to score points by saying ' if the BRF is so short of money why don't they sell their b____ tiaras?' An exceedingly ignorant comment of course, because for starters, the pieces are not the Queen's to sell - it's the same as HM not being to sell the pictures from the Royal Collection. The other point is that there are still pieces of the Queen's collection of jewels that have NEVER been seen in public because they have never been worn by the Queen because they have NEVER been required - she has a large pool of tiaras / necklaces etc to draw upon already. You don't want to run the risk of some MP, anxious to make a mark for himself as a republican, to be reminded of the Queen's jewellery and then to stand up and suggest in the House of Commons that a full audit of the jewels should be made with a view of selling the items that are never worn etc etc etc. It's a cheap political trick, but one that I suspect has already been identified as a 'risk' by the Queen's advisors, and therefore a 'risk' that needs to be 'managed'. and perhaps the best way of doing this in a recession is for a 'low profile approach' to be adopted.

Only my thoughts

Alex

PS - I always remember for years that stories used to be leaked to the press that Camilla had no interest in clothes [she reputedly only ever had one evening dress (for Hunt Balls) for example] or hair and beauty [she was always far more keen on hunting) or in jewellery. [ of of becoming Charles' wife come to that!!) And now look at this newly- blonded Royal Duchess, clad in expensive clothes and when the event demands it, dripping in jewellery. Give Catherine time!

Alex

Last edited:
I look at Catherine's recent pieces such as the disk pendant in a similar light of Diana's "D" pendant or her paste earrings. They are representative of the times but eventually she will wear historical pieces as well as accumulate some of her own. And I can't wait until we see her in some grand pieces.
Any news on her LA earrings?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom