The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 11:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade

Back to jewellery, I am getting tired of the sapphire Diana-remember combination to every imaginable event.
She's only worn the earrings three times, they're also likely a wedding present. And they go so perfectly with her engagement ring that it makes sense for her to get a lot of use from the set. I'm just happy to see more evidence that she received nice jewellry as gifts- I'm hoping she debuts a few more new pieces on the tour

Old 06-28-2011, 01:37 PM
Courtier

IMO there is a difference between calling something "tacky" and saying that one doesn't like it. The first carries a judgement and is insulting not only to the person it is directed at but also to all others who might have/wear the same thing. While saying "I don't like it" is merely an expression of an opinion which is perfectly fine and does not carry the implication of judgement OR superiority in terms of taste or style. :)

Old 06-28-2011, 02:09 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
IMO there is a difference between calling something "tacky" and saying that one doesn't like it. The first carries a judgement and is insulting not only to the person it is directed at but also to all others who might have/wear the same thing. While saying "I don't like it" is merely an expression of an opinion which is perfectly fine and does not carry the implication of judgement OR superiority in terms of taste or style. :)

I concur. "Tacky" is both subjective and pejorative.

I dislike the style of the sapphire pieces, for instance - but would hesitate to call them "tacky" because I happen not to believe that my own taste is the final word in ... well, anything.

Seems to me that many adults forget the lessons they (hopefully) taught their children: there's a world of difference between "you're stupid" and "I disagree".
Old 06-28-2011, 02:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

A monogrammed bracelet is no more 'tacky' than a signet ring with a monogram which just about every male member of the upper class in Britain wears, including male members of the Royal family.

As someone who bought my lifelong best friend a similar (although undoubtedly much less expensive) bracelet engraved with both our initials for her 21st birthday a few years ago I'm sad to discover that she and I are tacky. Here was I thinking it was merely a gesture of my appreciation of her friendship down the years.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Commoner

The charm bracelet is a nice little accessory that adds just the right amount of interest to her otherwise low-key look. It's not flashy to the point of entering into "bling" territory, in my opinion, and doesn't draw too much attention to itself.

I can understand how some people may think that it looks tacky because not everyone likes the idea of cyphers, initials, or family crests on clothing or accessories, but I think the bracelet is tasteful enough.

With more than one charm, though, it would probably draw more attention away from the rest of her outfit (and claims that it's "tacky" may have more merit), but then how do we know she'll definitely add more charms to it, or that she will keep wearing it out in public?

As for the earrings that match the engagement ring, the decision to wear them is not necessarily rooted in Diana sentiment (same with any article of clothing or accessory that has even the remotest connection to Diana). Like with new princesses wearing the same tiaras over and over again, maybe she doesn't have access to a whole lot of earrings at this point. Who knows?

Old 06-29-2011, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Revealed, Duchess Kate and a charming gift by Camilla

The Daily Express can today reveal the mystery of who gave the Duchess of *Cambridge the charm *bracelet she simply cant bear to take off her wrist.

The treasured gold bracelet is testimony to the growing bond between Kate Middleton, 29, and *her new stepmother-in-law Camilla, the *Duchess of Cornwall.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:19 AM
Royal Highness

I'm wondering: do they really have their own source for this, or are they getting their "inspiration" for this article on the internet, where this topic was discussed on more than one forum?
Old 06-29-2011, 10:47 AM
Courtier

I don't know if this info was posted, but the bracelet worn by Catherine during military event is a wedding gift from Camilla. Camilla has the same bracelet. (source)
Old 06-29-2011, 11:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyKate View Post
I don't know if this info was posted, but the bracelet worn by Catherine during military event is a wedding gift from Camilla. Camilla has the same bracelet. (source)
'A source close to the couple' is a euphemism for this board. This information has been known for the past two days. The Daily Mail uses the same cropped photo I posted showing Camilla's cypher.

By the way, Camilla has a charm bracelet but it's not the same bracelet as Kate's.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayvee View Post
By the way, Camilla has a charm bracelet but it's not the same bracelet as Kate's.
Agreed, though the concept is quite similar.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

I do hope Kate wears something on her head or in her hair for the dinner. BTW, this is not a "state" visit, is it? I thought only the Queen does state visits.

In one of the Wimbledon photos, it looks like Kate's cypher bracelet has another charm, or is it where she's just used one of the links for the join and the spare links are hanging down.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...t-Camilla.html (second photo)

Although I'm not a fan of the bracelet, I sure am glad Kate likes it.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:54 AM
Aristocracy

I don't often buy this magazine ,but "Hello" has some really nice photos of William and Catherine ,when they met members of the Irish guards. They say that the brooch that Catherine is wearing was presented to the Queen Mother to mark both her 100th birthday and that of the regiment.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:43 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
'A source close to the couple' is a euphemism for this board. This information has been known for the past two days. The Daily Mail uses the same cropped photo I posted showing Camilla's cypher.

Funny idea, but given the knowledge of the board members it could well be!

I wonder why the DM is reacting so surprised that the bracelet could be a gift from Camilla. Catherine has been around William for years and was already his girl- and most-trusted friend when Charles got engaged to Camilla. So I bet Catherine's influence was recognized as positive by Charles and Camilla and they are known never to forget who has been a loyal and trusted friend. Plus the bracelet with the two "C"s could be an insider joke of the Waleses and the Cambridges. Which would tell a lot about the Diana-C-C-pre-wedding story....
Old 06-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

well done!
Old 06-29-2011, 02:12 PM
Aristocracy

Isn't it Camilla's MO to "befriend" someone as part of a larger manipulative plot. Isn't that what she did to Diana? I think that Camilla wisely used the "gift" to get some of the best press she's had in ages.

Camilla is jealous that the engagement ring her husband gave his first wife has become such a powerful symbol of love and devotion (albeit son to mother). She just wants to interfere- to interrupt things a bit, like when she gave Charles the bracelet for his honeymoon.

Kudos to Kate- a brilliant social strategist. She understands the importance of wearing the charm bracelet with for two events.

Diana's other great legacy- she has transformed a once vulnerable position (the newcomer) into a shockingly powerful one. Kate is not at the mercy of the palace. Quite the reverse, and over time, even more so. Kate is nothing if not disciplined and patient.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Nobility

Oh dear, what could Camilla do and not get critisied by some people
Old 06-29-2011, 02:22 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by fascinator View Post
Isn't it Camilla's MO to "befriend" someone as part of a larger manipulative plot. Isn't that what she did to Diana? I think that Camilla wisely used the "gift" to get some of the best press she's had in ages.

Camilla is jealous that the engagement ring her husband gave his first wife has become such a powerful symbol of love and devotion (albeit son to mother). She just wants to interfere- to interrupt things a bit, like when she gave Charles the bracelet for his honeymoon.
I really hope we can move on from this kind of remark. I thought this was a thread to discuss the jewellery not the intentions of the giver
Old 06-29-2011, 02:26 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Isn't it Camilla's MO to "befriend" someone as part of a larger manipulative plot. Isn't that what she did to Diana? I think that Camilla ....
Sometimes a bracelet is just a bracelet. Goodness me.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

That's old tabloid gossip that's not at all in keeping with what the public now knows about the Duchess of Cornwall. She's apparently very kind, very warm, and very down to earth, and there's no reason on earth to think this is anything other than what it appears to be: a lovely gesture welcoming Catherine into her family. And they are very much her family at this point.

That was what, 30 years ago at this point? To base your opinion of someone entirely on the tabloid perception of an event from 30 years ago seems terribly misguided.

It's irrelevant anyway. Here on the jewels forum, we mostly like to talk about pretty sparkly things. And that bracelet is certainly very pretty.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine J View Post
Sometimes a bracelet is just a bracelet.
Totally agree with you.