Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 5: November 2007 - February 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren

Administrator in Memoriam
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
Welcome to the Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery thread part 5

commencing November 2007

Part 4, covering February to November 2007 can be found here.

°°°

I think the honeycoomb tiara loks very good on Camilla. She has already worn 2 tiaras from the royal collection.

Stefan, you are right. They look perfect on Camilla, Diamonds that size will look good on anyone. I hope that Camilla will wear the three strand necklace as well, the more gems the better- If they attend a function In Brunei she can wear as much as she wonts!

Open the vaults please! Don’t make us beg, give Camilla the QM’s ruby necklace and the lovely drop earrings as well

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, since HM doesn't often wear the Kent Amethyst Demi-parue, and Camilla seems to like the stone, I would LOVE to see it on her sometime. She would look fantastic in that set of gems--it comes with hair combs, too. Perhaps we could finally get a glimpse of them!

I still maintain that Camilla deserves her own, specially-designed, tiara. No argument which I've yet read against it has yet convinced me that it would out of the ordinary for Charles to present her with one.

For instance:

I was reading Sixty facts about HM's wedding, 60 years ago, released by the Palace, and found the following -

"The Queen's Bridal Veil was made of tulle and held by a tiara of diamonds. This tiara (which can also be worn as a necklace) was made for Queen Mary in 1919. It is made from re-used diamonds taken from a necklace/tiara purchased by Queen Victoria from Collingwood and Co and a wedding present for Queen Mary in 1893. In August, 1936, Queen Mary gave the tiara to Queen Elizabeth from whom it was borrowed by Princess Elizabeth for her wedding in 1947."

Ergo! Royal jewels are frequently remade and remodelled, which some of us have always known.

I re-iterate, I'd like to see Camilla with a tiara of her own, designed specifically to complement her particular features. Charles has access to many jewels and one day will have even more. It would be, in my opinion, especially fitting and romantic for him to commission a piece for his wife using the magnificent historical jewels already owned by the Mountbatten-Windsors.

Charles has access to many jewels and one day will have even more. It would be, in my opinion, especially fitting and romantic for him to commission a piece for his wife using the magnificent historical jewels already owned by the Mountbatten-Windsors.

Which beg the Question. If you had to dismantle a jewel(s) which would it be? And what stones would you like to see featured in the new Tiara?

Oh dear--what tiara to be dismantled? What necklace?
What a great topic! We can have such fun with this!

Frankly, I think Prince Charles should purchase this amethyst necklace/tiara that once belonged to Queen Alexandra to give to Camilla. I think she would look fantastic in it!

got the pick from the Sotheby's website, Magnificant Jewels Auction, December 4. Estimate up to 70,000.00 pounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unlike many of you, I'm not au fait with the range of tiaras and jewels owned by the BRF. But, at first thought, I think that the Queen Mother's 'Greville' (is it?) which Camilla wore, is decidedly unattractive on the Duchess. Lots of diamonds, there, which can most artistically be used in a C21 design which enhances Camilla's appearance.

Who knows, in another 100 years of so, another Princess of Wales might encourage alteration and desire that Camilla's jewels to be reset to suit her!

Oh Polly, we can't have the Boucheron Tiara (aka Greville) dismantled; granted, I don't totally love the thing, but it was the Queen Mother's and she wore it all the time. It would be like taking the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland apart-just can't do it!
I wouldn't mind seeing the Burmese or the Aquamarine reworked, but that won't happen either.
However, what I would love to see is a new turquoise tiara; Princess Margaret and the Duchess of Gloucester and Princess Alexandra each have beautiful ones; and the Duchess of Cornwall appears to enjoy turquoises, it would be nice to see another.

Thanks to Elspeth for deleting my photo because I didn't follow the rules--just when I think I know them........I learn I do not! I'm a work in progress----

Please check post #6 a link to a pic of the Amethyst tiara/necklace that belonged to Queen Alexandra. I love this necklace and I think that Charles should buy it for Camilla. It would look wonderful on her!

I checked your photo out, and thought the piece quite impressive. However, like all jewels, they need to be worn, I think, to really appreciate them.

The Greville may well have suited The Queen Mother admirably, but she, alas, has gone, and I don't believe that it's a mark of disrespect or historical vandalism to re-style her jewellry to suit a new princess. Of course, this is simply my view,which should be considered in the context of my wish for Camilla to have one or two jewels of her own.

Remodeld Tiara for the Duchess

With stones that size, what shape Tiara would you choose for the Duchess? I guess that you could lower the sides, keep the centre high and add EMERADLS – sorry I cant stop myself I love them. Any suggestions?

I really couldn't say, Noldorlord, until I saw it worn as a tiara.

My 'spatial' intelligence is of a very low order, i.e. I'm not so adept at design and artistic visual arrangement. On the other hand, having criticised the Greville on the Duchess, I can easily and comfortably respond to what I think is cumbersome and unattractive.

An example. I recently saw some lovely photographs of the Swedish Royal Family at the Nobel Prize ceremonies this year. One tiara was shared between the Crown Princess and family relatives. I thought that, worn by CP Victoria, it looked unattractive and like a Christmas bauble, but worn by other,older family members, it looked dignified and appropriate.

Just my un-educated opinion, of course.

An example. I recently saw some lovely photographs of the Swedish Royal Family at the Nobel Prize ceremonies this year. One tiara was shared between the Crown Princess and family relatives. I thought that, worn by CP Victoria, it looked unattractive and like a Christmas bauble, but worn by other,older family members, it looked dignified and appropriate.
Hi Polly, Do you remember which Tiara it was? If it was the cut steel, it dose sit very high. Dose look good on her mum. The weekend is coming up so I will have to put my photo shop skills to use and see what I can come up with on the Greville.

Camilla now has a wonderful collection of jewels, some more wearable than others. The one thing that stood out to me is that she does not seem to have access to very many diamond brooches. She has a good collection of brooches with coloured stones (emeralds, sapphires, and others). Is it just that I seem to have missed out the diamond brooches, or has anuboildy else noticed this as well?

You know, since HM doesn't often wear the Kent Amethyst Demi-parue, and Camilla seems to like the stone, I would LOVE to see it on her sometime. She would look fantastic in that set of gems--it comes with hair combs, too. Perhaps we could finally get a glimpse of them!

No doubt when Charles becomes King we will see Camilla wearing this historic set. I doubt it will happen before as Queen Vic designated it Crown Jewellery to be worn by all future Queens by right.

Did someone following this thread get their wish: Camilla wearing a double dose of the Queen Mother's Mrs. Greville legacy...looks like it's the Boucheron tiara again along with the ENTIRE five strands of the famous Greville necklace. Wow!:clap:

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Now thats called way over the top. Not even the Queen wore that much jewels that night and she still looked the most elegant. Camilla is trying too hard and why wear such a massive necklace in a not so financialy stabled country?

Why did they put up a christmas tree in Uganda this early? - Ooops sorry, it's Camilla.
I agree that this pile of diamonds is too much and looks far too heavy on the Duchess.
By the way, it's not a five row necklace around her neck as there are two Greville necklaces - the shorter one has three rows and the longer one two rows.
The Queen Mother knew what she did when she decided to wear them together only once.

Why did they put up a christmas tree in Uganda this early? - Ooops sorry, it's Camilla.
Haha:lol:

By the way, it's not a five row necklace around her neck as there are two Greville necklaces - the shorter one has three rows and the longer one two rows.
Give us 5 rows;)

5rows

The Queen Mother wore the 5 rows at least twice(Danish visit and French president visit)
She chose to wear lately the smaller version because of her age. The 5 rows would have been too heavy, physically!
I'm sure that later the Duchess will wear the smaller versions, too.

WOW. Just wow. Amazing. Just fabulous. With the blue dress, the RFO, the tiara and the Greville necklace........every inch a Royal Highness.

She's not going to earn many brownie points if she outshone the Queen, though. For that neckline, the three strands would have been plenty.

Oh don't be stingy, if you're going to wear three then go the whole hog and wear three. If she outshone the Queen then thats the Queen's fault - she should have blinged up.

Camilla shouldn't even be trying to outshine Her Majesty she isn't Queen yet.

if you're going to wear three then go the whole hog and wear three.

Oh what rubbish, Sam!! You're taste in what works and what doesn't is starting to 'surprise' me, Mr...lol.

And the Queen's fault? .lol...you're humour is certainly unique!

I think that HM is the one who lent the necklace to Camilla, so we don't need to worry about Camilla trying to outshine the Queen and upsetting HM. Obviously, this was fine with the Queen.

Now, WOOOOWEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! I've been wanting to see that combination again for a long time. I love it on Camilla, she looks fantastic, and I think it is just even futher solidifying her future role as Consort.
However, and I do hate to say it, but a more flattering neckline would have worked better, I think.
Which earrings is she wearing? That Getty Watermark is obscuring my vision!

She's not going to earn many brownie points if she outshone the Queen, though. For that neckline, the three strands would have been plenty.
Duchess of Cornwall will never outshine Her Majesty, who might be regarded as a impeccable monarch and person.

The Boucheron tiara suited Duchess of Cornwall well. “A double dose of the Queen Mother's Mrs. Greville legacy” (Lady Bluffton, 2007, post#16) looked way too heavy on her. I would not be surprised seeing such pileup of rocks on the Brunei royal ladies or the ladies of the Persian Gulf countries. In my personal opinion, a smaller necklace or less strands would have looked much better.

Oh what rubbish, Sam!! You're taste in what works and what doesn't is starting to 'surprise' me, Mr...lol.

And the Queen's fault? .lol...you're humour is certainly unique!

Well, there's good taste and there's pulling out the stops diva stylee to shut up the critics. Ok, so the ensemble wasn't perfect fashion wise but it was just so right for Camilla and as Al Bina says, the Queen gave Camilla the rocks so she must have been happy for her to use them. I still think she looked fab, I love Camilla in what she wore......oh hell, I just love Camilla. Seriously, I think it's just lovely to see her in her rightful place with her RFO, tiara etc. Just gives me a warm feeling. Call me sentimental if you like but at the end of the day, I'm just a mo who likes diamonds on a gorgeous lady.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom