Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 4: February-November 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren

Administrator in Memoriam
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
Welcome to the Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery thread part 4

commencing February 2007

Part 3, covering November 2005 to February 2007, can be found here.
°°°

Last edited:
How glamorous does that sound? Camilla's Saudi Ruby Necklace. Wunderbar.

Dear Warren,

I have always had my doubts about the Delhi Durbar tiara. While looking at the picture above I suddenly realized that I was looking at a torso or partial work. It should have the Cambridge or some such emeralds on it and the large Cullinan diamond as the center piece then the thing could shine in all its true glory. Now we have only a part of what could be and probably was a masterpiece.

I wonder if you could rummage around and find another and better or clearer picture of her in the Boucheron tiara. That is a wonderful contraption, it looked marvelous on the Queen Mum and looks marvelous on Camilla. I would just love to see her, now that she has done that over the top ruby number, really do an over the top number and wear the Queen Mum's five strand diamond necklace. Do you have a picture of that in your vast storehouse of goodies, by chance. If only we could get the Noble Camilla bedecked in that and the tiara or the restored Delhi Durbar tiara, now that would be a sight indeed. Cheers.

PS. I wonder if this is an idea for our photoshopping people.

Thomas, I could not agree with you more and you took the words right from my post (literally). I SO want to see the Duchess in the Queen Mother's five strand diamond necklace--with the Boucheron tiara! OH MY HRH would look wonderful. She certainly deserves it.

Let's also not forget the brooches of the Queen Mother's we have seen on her-- there have been some lovely pieces.

I also would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to see Camilla in Grand Duchess Vladimir tiara--but I think we're a long time off from that moment. However, perhaps, in view of Queen Elizabeth's recent slowing down of engagements and her now taking extended weekends due to her advancing age, could it be the time to ponder what diadem the future Queen Camilla will wear to the coronation? It would probably be either Queen Mary's or the Queen Mother's coronation pieces.

What does everyone else think?
Janet

jcbcode99 said:
perhaps, in view of Queen Elizabeth's recent slowing down of engagements

HM the Queen has made it perfectly clear that her dedication to perform engagments shall remain as was. There is, or has been, no slowing down of engagements other than during short periods of poor health (flu, vrius etc).

Now for the jewels...;)

The Boucheron Honeycomb does look spectacular on Camilla. Infcat, I hope she makes it one of her signature pieces. The Delhi Dubar, imo, looked much too big. I didn't find it flattering at all.

Would really like to see her make use of Queen Alexandra's triple drop suite (also favoured by the Queen Mother). Its an amazing suite and Camilla could do it justice I think.

Can we get a picture of the triple drop suite?

I agree that Camilla can pull off those big jewels. At first, I didn't really care for her in the Boucheron tiara--I much preferred the Delhi Durbar tiara. I think because of its historical value I leaned more towards it because it seemed to really solidify Camilla in her royal role. However, the more I see that one picture of Camilla in the Boucheron, well, I am being won over! I'd love to see her in a big diamond riviere next time she wears the tiara!

I was under the impression that HM the Queen was beginning to take longer weekends and that Charles was taking more responsibility from Parliament and attending more of the meetings. I just assumed HM was beginning to "take it easy" now. Maybe she'll have time to pull something new from the vaults if she has some free time!
Janet

Dear Members,

Of course the Delhi Durbar is a massive contraption. It was intended to be. It was at the Durbar, practically a coronation in which Queen Mary was not Queen Mary, but Her Imperial Majesty the Empress Mary, Empress of India let us not forget. And the Queen Mother was the last Empress of India, sigh.

So I say, get some emeralds from out of the vaults and plop them on the thing with a great big one in the place of the now removed Cullinan and let Camilla, bedecked to the gills process in public before the awe struck masses. I do not doubt that she has the panache to carry it off. The spirit of the Empress Mary will then be alive and well. Cheers.

Thomas, so eloquent as usual. I really do hope we see some more historical pieces released. I would also love to see Camilla wearing lots of pieces at once a la Queen Alexandra and Queen Mary. I think she can pull it off and begin a "new" trend of opulence and glamour.

Thomas Parkman said:
So I say, get some emeralds from out of the vaults and plop them on the thing with a great big one in the place of the now removed Cullinan and let Camilla, bedecked to the gills process in public before the awe struck masses. I do not doubt that she has the panache to carry it off. The spirit of the Empress Mary will then be alive and well. Cheers.

Personally, I could think of nothing more unflattering. If the 'Durbar' looked the way it did without the emeralds, I dread to think what it would look like with them.

Can we get a picture of the triple drop suite?

Absolutely. It really is one of my favourite pieces.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k225/comtessede/lastscan.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is beautiful! I can see HRH The Duchess of Cornwall wearing this--with the pin, the earrings, a beautiful tiara, and whatever else she wants to heap on herself! Thank you for the pic. It is lovely.
Janet

Didn't the Queen Mother wear the triple drop suite with the Honeycomb Boucheron for her 80th birthday portraits?

jcbcode99 said:
That is beautiful! I can see HRH The Duchess of Cornwall wearing this--with the pin, the earrings, a beautiful tiara, and whatever else she wants to heap on herself! Thank you for the pic. It is lovely.
Janet

You're very welcome Janet :flowers:

I think like with the Queen Mother, this suite is best suited to the Boucheron. I really hope Camilla wears the two at some stage.

Didn't the Queen Mother wear the triple drop suite with the Honeycomb Boucheron for her 80th birthday portraits?

I think so BeatrixFan. The Queen Mother often wore the two together and wth good reason, they looked fabulous!!!

Last edited:
Most definately. I can imagine Camilla now, a state banquet, blue sash, divine gown, Honeycomb Boucheron and Triple Drop Suite. Yummy.

I think that Camilla has the potential to bring back some essence of the days of Queen Mary and Alexandra (how ironic that Camilla will wear Alexandra's jewellery!). I would love to see some of the "out of fashion" pieces worn again, such as Queen Mary's diamond stomacher:
The Greville Chandelier Earrings and King George VI Festoon Necklace pictures from history photos on webshots

I think the stomacher would look lovely with the Durbar.

The Greville chandelier earrings and this festoon necklace:

The Greville Chandelier Earrings and King George VI Festoon Necklace pictures from history photos on webshots
with the Boucheron --oh but she would glitter! She may need to wear some big diamond studs and the necklace or just the earrings and no necklace with the Boucheron--it may be too much for some to handle!

AND, I'd like to see some rubies on the Duchess. I think that she would look wonderful in them--but not those Burmese pieces that are wretched! I would prefer some of the Queen Mother's pieces. Other than that collar she wore recently, does she have any rubies?

Janet

One more thing (can you tell HRH The Duchess is my newest obsession? I just love her!)
I found something interesting here and I think it must be the triple drop suite--it is a closeup of a portion of the necklace and THOSE BEAUTIFUL DIAMONDS with a closeup of the Duchess' engagement ring! If you go all the way down to almost the bottom of the page, you will see three photos of the ring, and in the last photo is the closeup of the necklace and the ring. NICE.
Janet

Madame Royale said:
Does she have any rubies? Yep, I think she does :lol:

the Saudi Ruby Necklace

The question was "other than that collar..." ;) Do you recall seeing her wearing rubies apart from the Saudi necklace? Can't say I do, but I'm probably forgetting something.

jcbcode99 said:
One more thing. I found something interesting here: Cornwall1
I have to say, that in the link that you provide, unidentified brooch 1 look in fact like a giant stink bug. It actually has the shape of that atrocious smelling bug. Interesting to say the least. I wonder where on earth she got that from.

Not so sure that I would want to wear a stink bug, also known as a shield bug, on my clothing.

I'm afraid I couldn't pick out the stink bug unless you're referring to the 20s Art Deco piece. My grandmother was a young flapper during the 1920s and had many exquisite pieces in this style. I loved the style. Actually Macys has a 1920s collection for people who love the Art Deco.

But its not for everyone.

The only reason that I am familiar with that particular animal is that i had the extreme misfortune to have them placed in my bed when I was younger by my brothers. At which point I would inevitably roll over them, crush them, and release that awful smell. Perhaps I would find them more elegant were it not for those experiences. Mind you, I am not sure if thos animals, the frogs or the garden snakes that my brothers placed in the bed were worse... Sigh.....

Well, I can certainly understand your aversion to stink bugs! I think it my brother had pulled that type of joke on me, I would not be a big fan, myself. However, in diamonds, this particular stink bug does take on a less sinister appearance, I think. Actually, I really like the piece--I think it is very eclectic and actually, it shows that HRH isn't scared to wear something very unusual. I wonder where it comes from? Anyway....

On my post where I posted the Greville earrings, I linked the wrong picture for Queen Mary's stomacher--here it is:

Cornwall1
and I think it is high time we see more than just a piece of it! It's a stunning piece. If no one wants to wear it this way, perhaps it could be fashioned into a tiara? The workmanship is stunning. And, if need be, I'll sacrifice and take one of those pear drops if they can't find anywhere to put it!

Janet

jcbcode99 said:
And, if need be, I'll sacrifice and take one of those pear drops if they can't find anywhere to put it!

Janet

Why don't I sacrifice for everyone and take the whole collection! :D

But I'm afraid Warren will come after me chasing after some diamonds. That necklace that Camilla wore in Philly was to die for.

Yes I know it was ostentatious but that's why I follow royalty. I'll go to my local society tea for tasteful and understated.

Sometimes I wish the United States had a royal family that wasn't ashamed of their wealth. For that matter, I wish Great Britain's family wasn't ashamed of their wealth. I'd love to see Granny's chips take a turn on some British royal.

But the republicans would complain its too ostentatious. Oh well we'll have to do with Camilla's several tier emerald necklace and the Dehli Durbar tiara.

I don't know Ysebel, as a Rebublican, I am all for some ostentatious jewels! We just don't have that certain "panache" here in our country. I think its because our elected officials are more "civil servants" than anything else. Alas, the eras of Barbara Hutton and Doris Duke and the Vanderbilt women are gone--and those ladies had some jewels. Nothing to rival Her Majesty, but not too bad. Its a shame--all we get to see now are loaners from Harry Winston at the Academy Awards (well, Gwyneth's Paltrow's father bought her that gorgeous necklace she wore the night she won--dripping in diamonds--it was royal worthy)! OH, and we had Wallis--but then she left us for Edward VIII.
Janet

You know, I miss the time (even though I was not even born yet) when women dressed like women, and took the time to look good, instead of going out with rollers in their hair and sweatpants. To be quite honest, and I am sure sound really old fashioned, I always think that women should look the best they can. I know that I always feel better when I take the time to look my best. My grandmother never went out of the house without her face on, and I miss that. Although I can't say the same for myself, I do try and look like I haven't recently rolld out of bed.

I admire royal women in that respect. They take the time to look as if they took the time, if you know what I mean. I guess I would have been better off had I been born in the time when women had a drink and slippers ready, but then again I do detest the double standard, so who knows where I would land.

All I know is that I applaud the women that take the time to enhance their natural beauty, and more power to them if they have jewels to accent it with. I can't say that I have ever seen a royal lady look like she just rolled out of bed. I aspire to that I suppose.

And I am just having an awful time explaining myself tonight, so I apologize for the long winded post.....

Empress said:
I have to say, that in the link that you provide, unidentified brooch 1 look in fact like a giant stink bug. It actually has the shape of that atrocious smelling bug. Interesting to say the least. I wonder where on earth she got that from.

Over here it is a stick insect, definitly non smelly! I once put my brothers collection of them in a bush, so they could stretch their legs, needless to say, they were never seen again and I ran a 2 minute mile! :ROFLMAO:

Elspeth said:
The question was "other than that collar..." ;) Do you recall seeing her wearing rubies apart from the Saudi necklace? Can't say I do, but I'm probably forgetting something.

So it was :lol:

I recall seeing Camilla wear the Keppel piece but they aren't real rubies are they?

Which Keppel piece? I have been searching for a picture of the tiara which was given to Alice Keppel (with real diamonds but fake rubies) and cannot find it. Is that what you are talking about? I would love to see that piece!

Empress, I totally agree with you about a lady's appearance. While I know I will never be of the June Cleaver persuasion (high heels and pearls to vacuum) I do try to be presentable when I leave the house. My "face" is on--consisting of some concealer, moisturizer, powder, mascara and a hint of color on my cheeks and lips--and I am usually dressed nicely. Not HM nicely, but I try to look the best I can. Now, if I'm running late--you can tell. The hair isn't quite so neat, but I'm not out there in curlers or sweats, either! I think it is appaling when I"m in Target or somewhere, and there are women in there with those pink curlers in their hair--just strolling about, without even trying to hide them under a scarf! Women should try to look their best--its an ego boost if you do!
Janet

jcbcode99 said:
Which Keppel piece? I have been searching for a picture of the tiara which was given to Alice Keppel (with real diamonds but fake rubies) and cannot find it. Is that what you are talking about? I would love to see that piece!
That's it exactly, Janet.

Sorry about the clarity..It's a little hazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom