Image is a cropped portion of a much larger photograph

Welcome to the Diana, Princess of Wales Jewellery thread,

part 2

Part 1 can be found here

~  ~
o

Old 09-14-2007, 05:42 PM
Royal Highness

I LOVE Ursula's site! It is a total goody bag and has some of the history about the jewels on it. Here is a link to one of my favorite set of pages in her site: Irene Duchess de Aoste | Tiara just start clicking around; you'll eventually find these pink pearls that are exquisite.
Camilla Parker Bowles married HRH Charles, The Prince of Wales and even though she is technically The Princess of Wales, she chooses to be known by one of her other titles (she has a slew of them), HRH The Duchess of Cornwall. Her full Title is actually:

The Princess Charles Philip Arthur George, Princess of Wales and Countess of Chester, Duchess of Cornwall, Duchess of Rothesay, Countess of Carrick, Baroness of Renfrew, Lady of the Isles, Princess of Scotland.

Which, since we are on a Diana, Princess of Wales thread, was once her full Title as well. In fact, these titles have been held by each Princess of Wales.
Interestingly enough, some have argued that the Spencer family actually is MORE royal than the Royal Family. A good analysis of it can be found here:
Diana, Princess of Wales - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NOW, getting back to jewellery--I have heard that the Spencers have a tiara that belonged to Marie Antionette! Is there any truth to this? Any photos? It wouldn't be like Charles Spencer to not trot that piece out regularly if he had it. I wonder if there might be a photo of "Acid Raine" wearing it? Warren, have you any idea what this piece looks like?

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 09-14-2007, 05:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

I remember seeing a picture of Raine wearing a tiara on Royal Jewels of the World but I can't find the picture, the Princess of Wales only wore the Spencer family tiara I would've loved to see her wore a tiara that was once owned by Marie Antionette.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:26 AM
Serene Highness

Another jewel used from Diana and Camilla.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...9&d=1130204768
Old 09-15-2007, 10:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

The two necklaces are similar but they are different.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:06 PM
Commoner

What is the difference?
Old 09-15-2007, 05:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatima_gudzzye View Post
What is the difference?
Camilla's necklace is a snake design. Diana's necklace is simply a diamond necklace that come together in the center and forms a tassle. It looks very similar on small photos but on the larger photos, you can see the difference.

-Ayvee
Old 09-15-2007, 07:10 PM
Aristocracy

Didn't Diana's have rubies at the end of the tassle or is that a whole other necklace???
Old 09-15-2007, 08:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
I remember seeing a picture of Raine wearing a tiara on Royal Jewels of the World but I can't find the picture, the Princess of Wales only wore the Spencer family tiara I would've loved to see her wore a tiara that was once owned by Marie Antionette.
Poor Spencer tiara! Hopefully one of the young Ladies will break the wedding curse that seems to be hovering over it for the past few decades. Perhaps it is time to spruce up the other Spencer tiara and use that one for awhile.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisygoogles View Post
Didn't Diana's have rubies at the end of the tassle or is that a whole other necklace???
The ruby tassle necklace is different.

The diamond necklace was only worn during her engagement period to Prince Charles. I can't find the exact source right now but this diamond necklace and the earrings paired with it (which ended up being her wedding earrings) were both borrowed from her mother. It's the evening she wore the black strapless gown. March 9, 1981 with Princess Grace of Monaco in the Goldsmiths' Hall to raise money for the Royal Opera House.

-Ayvee
Old 09-15-2007, 09:48 PM
Royal Highness

I think the Spencers have three tiaras. The Marie Antionette one is tortoisshell?? I've heard that--I don't know. The other is HIDEOUS. It's all over the Worst Royal Jewels thread. Here's a link
http://photos.case.edu/photo/1774.jpg
I mean UGH. It looks like two tiaras, one of top of the other. Individually, they would be nice, but together--imagine that on Diana on her wedding day. Not so fairytale like now, huh?

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 09-15-2007, 09:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

They really should dismantel that tiara.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:00 AM
Serene Highness

I agree with Janet. Separate them and get a nice base for the top half. That would be a very pretty tiara. With all of the Earls young Ladies, they could use another wearable tiara or two in the family.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:34 PM
Royal Highness

I'm jcbcode99 on there, too! I love how all the jewelery threads find their way back to each other.
Here's a pic of the Marie Antionette tiara:
Marie Antionette necklace and tiara132 pictures from history photos on webshots

But, that link to the OTHER Spencer tiara is really interesting--and the tiara was even uglier in that one. That tiara just really need to be made into two separate pieces.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:57 PM
Nobility

Well no wonder Princess Diana chose to wear only the one popularly identified with her. It's become her trademark tiara and it is a lovely piece. The other Spencer tiara is not so bad (even tho' I cannot truthfully say it's Diana's jewellary since she has not worn it ever). I guess the value and the beauty would be in its history and the gems in it and its link to the aristocratic Spencer family.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:45 PM
Serene Highness

Jewellery « Princess Diana News

DIANA'S TIARA

Princess Diana's Evening Gowns and Tiara's Gallery

Princess Diana - São Paulo, Brazil - 1991

Princess Di on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 09-29-2007, 05:53 PM
Courtier

Thank you for the link to this Gallery. Can someone help me out with the very last picture on the very last page? Diana is wearing one of my favorite gowns by Catherine Walker. She wore it to Cannes and also to the opening of Miss Saigon. Can someone identify this event where she's wearing the same gown for a 3rd time with a tiara too?

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:32 AM
Courtier

I believe that would be the State banquet for the visit by King Olav of Norway, held at Windsor Castle on 12 April 1988
Old 10-07-2007, 08:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Does anyone know who actually bought the swan lake necklace after it was auctioned. I Know the Princess of Wales was supposed to buy it before she died but its intereting to know who actually has this piece.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
I think it's owned by Jim McIngvale, who also owns Gallery Furniture.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...

Tags
diana, jewellery, princess of wales