Diana, Princess of Wales Jewellery 2: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no proof that it was lost.
Too true, too true! I hope they're not buried with that sapphire!! I relent and I hope that we see the sapphire again soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful jewels!!I especially liked the earrings in the 2nd picture(Diana's blue eyes are glowing here)!

Does anyone know the story of the earings that Diana wears in my profile picture? I saw them on the Diana's jewels website as aquarimarine and diamond earings, but with no background info.

Grace, I dont remember seeing that picture before now. Do you know where and when it was taken? It would be easier to research...

These are the same earings as are on the Diana's jewels website- if you go on the website ( link is earlier on thread) and look at the earings, you'll find them. I'm not sure when and where this picture was taken,it's rare no info given.I found it on flickr, and that person seems no longer to be on flickr (hasn't posted pics since '05), so I can't really ask them and they don't say where they got the picture. But these are the same earings she wore with the Spencer tiara and the pale blue evening dress in the 1980s photo where her eyes are lined with blue eye shadow, which is the photo on the Diana's jewels website. I just looked on flickr, and it doesn't say where the picture was taken, but it says the year is 1996.

Oh my, it seems we don't have much time for understanding irony either on these Forums. :rolleyes:
I was just refreshing my memory trawling though some older threads and I found this gem. Boris you rock! Irony . . . . is an acquired taste and sometimes leads to metaphoric outraged lynch mobs! I speak from immoderate experience.
Maybe it's possible to return to a discussion of her jewels - instead of their burial places, fabricated in some psychic's mind and put into writing to be able to fill a few more pages in a book she tried to sell...
Well there is no shortage of absolute garbage by pschics etc, all legends in their own lunchtime, trying to flog off their latest bit of tatty trash but IMHO no-one is stupid enough to bury their jewellry.

As to Diana's personal jewelry? I would not be at all surprised if it wasn't already in William's possession, albeit stashed in the vault for safekeeping! :D

:flowers: Thank you, MARG...! :D
Regarding the beautiful aquamarine and diamond earrings:
They were first seen during the Wales' tour through Germany in autumn 1987, in Munich. Their was never any info to be found about their provenance.
Speculation points towards the Gulf tour through four Middle Eastern monarchies exactly one year earlier - the Omani sapphires were first worn during the visit to Germany as well, and it's possible that the aquamarine earrings were also a gift from an Arab ruler given during the earlier tour.
The avatar picture of Diana wearing them was taken in late 1995, I believe... some evening function where Diana was accompanied by Al Fayed sr., wearing a rarely seen ice blue full-length C. Walker dress.

Thank you all for the interesting information on the sapphire earrings :flowers:
About these last pictures:I really like these pearl earrings,but not this tiara.It's just too big for Diana.Of course,she looks like an angel one more time :angel:

The avatar picture of Diana wearing them was taken in late 1995, I believe... some evening function where Diana was accompanied by Al Fayed sr., wearing a rarely seen ice blue full-length C. Walker dress.
I know the dress- in Jayne Fincher's book there is a picture of it, but I think with different earings in 1996 ( the diamond ones she wore alot in the last few years of her life, the ones with the loop and with the pearl dangles).

The dress looks much like the the Catharine Walker dress she wore to the sale of her dresses pre-auction party in June 1997- I always wondered if that blue dress seen in 1997 wasn't a shorter version of the gown you are refering to. I've never seen a photo of her before the one I have on my avatar wearing that dress with these earings. Thanks so muh for the info- if anyone could post pictures of this dress ( esp. with these earings), thanks.

The two dresses by Catherine Walker you are referring to are indeed very similar, but not the same.
The embroidery is different, and while the 1997 short cocktail dress was in strong ice blue, the 95/96 full length dress is also in a different color, a more greenish pastel blue - in fact, exactly the color of the aquamarine earrings.

Thanks for the info. To my knowledge no book but the Jayne Fischer book has a photo of this dress ( the one she wore with the earings), and I don't have a copy of it but I will look at the libraries copy of it and see which earings she is wearing with it. Most pictures of her in evening dress the last few years of her are widespread, but photos of that dress are rare. When's the last time she wore the earings, does anybody know- was it in this photo? It might have been.

I never paid attention to that aquamarine and pearl bracelet--it is beautiful!

I loved the site too- that's the first time I ever saw her in the '80s wearing the ruby loop necklace that she never wore again. It really suited her I thought. There were also other photos I had never seen on that website.

Ayvee's site dianasjewels.net is simply the most complete and reliable source of reference for Princess Diana's jewels.
In short, the best.

Even though Diana only had 2 tiaras to use they were both really stunning!!!

Even though Diana only had 2 tiaras to use they were both really stunning!!!

Gosh, I didn't realize she only had the use of 2 tiaras all that time she was Princess of Wales. I wonder why the Queen never allowed her to use any others.

That emerald necklace is sooooo gorgeous. I know I've said it before but it is one of my all time favorate pieces of jewelry. The borrowed pearl necklace was also stunning!

Gosh, I didn't realize she only had the use of 2 tiaras all that time she was Princess of Wales. I wonder why the Queen never allowed her to use any others.

Perhaps she didn't ask! I'm sure that HM would not have refused had Diana asked to see what was available from the items that were not in use.

I agree, if she had asked I have no doubt that HM would have been happy to share. However, it is well known that Diana complained that the lover's knot tiara gave her headaches, which is why she wore the Spencer continually. It was lightweight and did not bother her. I know that HM wears the Girls of Great Britian often because it is so lightweight, and I highly doubt Diana would have been allowed to use that. I imagine the scroll tiara worn by QEQM, Princess Margaret, and Princess Anne would have been lightweight--Kimebear posted a link to a wonderful photo of Anne wearing it:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=808461&postcount=34

I've always found this tiara to be charming and it would have suited Diana. We've not seen it since Anne wore it back in the 70's.

I think that, as the marriage disintegrated, Diana was establishing her own agenda and it was a way of subtely distancing herself from the Royal family.

I think that, as the marriage disintegrated, Diana was establishing her own agenda and it was a way of subtely distancing herself from the Royal family.

Thats certainly believable.

I've moved the general discussion of HM's jewellery vaults to the EIIR tiaras thread.

I was over on the Royal Jewels of the World Message Board and the discussion regarding the PoW feather brooch began again. However, there is a new twist. Apparently, Queen Alexandra had one, and when Mary was elevated to Princess of Wales, Queen Alexandra had one made as a gift. Alexandra's pendant was worn by Diana and Mary's pendant is worn by Camilla.

Here's the link:
The Lady Diana Discussion Board: Re: Prince of Wales Feather Pendant

I recommend reading the entire thread.

The RJOTW discussion about the new information:
Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: POW feathers pendant

Alexandra's pendant was a wedding gift from Queen Victoria when she married Edward, Prince of Wales. She later passed it on to Mary after she became Princess of Wales. The Queen Mother selected this item from the vaults as a wedding gift for Diana.

As Princess of Wales, Mary had another one made that was convertible into a brooch. That's the one Camilla has been wearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom