Diana, Princess of Wales Jewellery 2: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren

Administrator in Memoriam
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
DianaSultanofOmansuite.jpg

Diana wearing the Spencer Tiara & Sultan of Oman suite
Image is a cropped portion of a much larger photograph

Welcome to the Diana, Princess of Wales Jewellery thread,

part 2

Part 1 can be found here

~  ~
o

Last edited:
I LOVE Ursula's site! It is a total goody bag and has some of the history about the jewels on it. Here is a link to one of my favorite set of pages in her site: Irene Duchess de Aoste | Tiara just start clicking around; you'll eventually find these pink pearls that are exquisite.
Camilla Parker Bowles married HRH Charles, The Prince of Wales and even though she is technically The Princess of Wales, she chooses to be known by one of her other titles (she has a slew of them), HRH The Duchess of Cornwall. Her full Title is actually:

The Princess Charles Philip Arthur George, Princess of Wales and Countess of Chester, Duchess of Cornwall, Duchess of Rothesay, Countess of Carrick, Baroness of Renfrew, Lady of the Isles, Princess of Scotland.

Which, since we are on a Diana, Princess of Wales thread, was once her full Title as well. In fact, these titles have been held by each Princess of Wales.
Interestingly enough, some have argued that the Spencer family actually is MORE royal than the Royal Family. A good analysis of it can be found here:
Diana, Princess of Wales - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NOW, getting back to jewellery--I have heard that the Spencers have a tiara that belonged to Marie Antionette! Is there any truth to this? Any photos? It wouldn't be like Charles Spencer to not trot that piece out regularly if he had it. I wonder if there might be a photo of "Acid Raine" wearing it? Warren, have you any idea what this piece looks like?

I remember seeing a picture of Raine wearing a tiara on Royal Jewels of the World but I can't find the picture, the Princess of Wales only wore the Spencer family tiara I would've loved to see her wore a tiara that was once owned by Marie Antionette.

The two necklaces are similar but they are different.

What is the difference?

Camilla's necklace is a snake design. Diana's necklace is simply a diamond necklace that come together in the center and forms a tassle. It looks very similar on small photos but on the larger photos, you can see the difference.

-Ayvee

Didn't Diana's have rubies at the end of the tassle or is that a whole other necklace???

I remember seeing a picture of Raine wearing a tiara on Royal Jewels of the World but I can't find the picture, the Princess of Wales only wore the Spencer family tiara I would've loved to see her wore a tiara that was once owned by Marie Antionette.

Poor Spencer tiara! Hopefully one of the young Ladies will break the wedding curse that seems to be hovering over it for the past few decades. Perhaps it is time to spruce up the other Spencer tiara and use that one for awhile.

Didn't Diana's have rubies at the end of the tassle or is that a whole other necklace???

The ruby tassle necklace is different.

The diamond necklace was only worn during her engagement period to Prince Charles. I can't find the exact source right now but this diamond necklace and the earrings paired with it (which ended up being her wedding earrings) were both borrowed from her mother. It's the evening she wore the black strapless gown. March 9, 1981 with Princess Grace of Monaco in the Goldsmiths' Hall to raise money for the Royal Opera House.

-Ayvee

I think the Spencers have three tiaras. The Marie Antionette one is tortoisshell?? I've heard that--I don't know. The other is HIDEOUS. It's all over the Worst Royal Jewels thread. Here's a link
http://photos.case.edu/photo/1774.jpg
I mean UGH. It looks like two tiaras, one of top of the other. Individually, they would be nice, but together--imagine that on Diana on her wedding day. Not so fairytale like now, huh?

They really should dismantel that tiara.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Janet. Separate them and get a nice base for the top half. That would be a very pretty tiara. With all of the Earls young Ladies, they could use another wearable tiara or two in the family.

I'm jcbcode99 on there, too! I love how all the jewelery threads find their way back to each other.
Here's a pic of the Marie Antionette tiara:
Marie Antionette necklace and tiara132 pictures from history photos on webshots

But, that link to the OTHER Spencer tiara is really interesting--and the tiara was even uglier in that one. That tiara just really need to be made into two separate pieces.

Well no wonder Princess Diana chose to wear only the one popularly identified with her. It's become her trademark tiara and it is a lovely piece. The other Spencer tiara is not so bad (even tho' I cannot truthfully say it's Diana's jewellary since she has not worn it ever). I guess the value and the beauty would be in its history and the gems in it and its link to the aristocratic Spencer family.

Thank you for the link to this Gallery. Can someone help me out with the very last picture on the very last page? Diana is wearing one of my favorite gowns by Catherine Walker. She wore it to Cannes and also to the opening of Miss Saigon. Can someone identify this event where she's wearing the same gown for a 3rd time with a tiara too?

Thanks for your help.

:previous:
I believe that would be the State banquet for the visit by King Olav of Norway, held at Windsor Castle on 12 April 1988 :flowers:

Does anyone know who actually bought the swan lake necklace after it was auctioned. I Know the Princess of Wales was supposed to buy it before she died but its intereting to know who actually has this piece.

Thanks TheTruth that neckalace was so beautiful I wish she wore it with the Lover's Knot Tiara. :)

Thanks TheTruth that neckalace was so beautiful I wish she wore it with the Lover's Knot Tiara. :)

Yes, it would have been really wonderful ! The curves of the 2 jewels would have fit perfectly.

I think the Spencers have three tiaras. The Marie Antionette one is tortoisshell?? I've heard that--I don't know. The other is HIDEOUS. It's all over the Worst Royal Jewels thread. Here's a link
http://photos.case.edu/photo/1774.jpg
I mean UGH. It looks like two tiaras, one of top of the other. Individually, they would be nice, but together--imagine that on Diana on her wedding day. Not so fairytale like now, huh?

Yeah, it is .... well, ugly.... but maybe it could work on the right head with the right hairstyle, who knows? Some tiaras look weird by themselves, just sitting on a stand and pillow, but then they look cool "in action" so to speak. I dunno....

I would like to see a photo of Raine wearing any tiara, even the "ugly one". Is there a photo somewhere in the forums? Thinking of that, it would also be fun to see Frances wearing a tiara, but I suppose there is a photo of that, except in the private unpublished albums of the Spencer family....

I was playing around with some photos on Corbis and enlarging them. Here are some of the results. First, Diana wearing the other Spencer tiara:
Picture 1 It was a nice tiara for Diana. I always have liked it. I guess the only problem I can find is that the base was almost always visible.
Picture 2 Of coures the sapphires truly steal the show here. Would someone kindly remind of the history behind the necklace? I think it was a gift from one of the Saudi Arabian crown princes? Pardon me, but the Saudi Arabian royal family is so huge and they seem to have more than one crown prince, and I never remember any of their long names....
Picture 3 What is the story behind this necklace? It is quite ugly, I think. I have seen it up close in other pictures and cannot say I have ever liked it.
Picture 4 Spencer tiara worn with a gorgeous pair of earrings
Picture 5 Side view: Was the Spencer tiara one of those "comb tiaras"? Amazing earrings...
Picture 6 Spencer tiara and the Prince of Wales feathers.... Here is a combination that would have made Diana's Spencer ancestors extraordinarily pink in the face. :D Interestingly enough, Althorp has a "Prince of Wales suite" where apparently George IV stayed when he was Prince of Wales, and fittingly, Diana and Charles used it when they stayed at Althorp. The valet of Prince Charles who died from AIDS, ? Stephen Barry? wrote that he walked into their bedroom during one of the Althorp visits, to find Diana seething after having had a terrible row with Charles, only to find the window broken. Diana said she had thrown something out of the window! :lol:
Picture 7
Picture 8 This was an interesting ensemble. I think I like it. I have doubts though. On Diana, this look is stunning. I am not sure how many women could pull it off, though. Do you think it would have been better without the choker?
Picture 9 I am not sure about how the Spencer tiara worked with her short curly hairstyles.
Picture 10

Stay tuned.... next gripping CasiraghiTrio series: Diana and the Lover's Knot :D

Wonderful post with great close-up photos of some of the jewellry and the Spencer Tiara which i always liked too..
Thanks

:previous:
It does not look too bad! It's an ugly tiara by itself, but Diana might have been able to pull it off....

As promised, Diana and the Lover's Knot, with enlarged pictures courtesy of Corbis

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 4
Picture 5
Picture 6
Picture 7 Diana is learning here that beauty sometimes can be painful. :kiss:

Spencer Honeysuckle tiara

Anyone have any other links to pictures of the Spencer Honeysuckle tiara? I'd like to see if I can do a colour mock-up....(sadly I don't have Photoshop)

Gillw you did a great job on that pic of Diana.

I really do wish someone would phot edit a photo of Diana wearing the the swan lake necklace with the Lover's Knot tiara.

Try not to laugh. I just downloaded this free photo program tonight and wanted something to try, so I tried to make the lover's knot/swan lake combination....
http://i14.tinypic.com/63ajocl.jpg
:blush:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom