Diana, Princess of Wales Jewellery 2: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's some more photos of the Saudi suite. As you can see the choker has gone through two re-workings. The first she left the bracelet as it was but mountain it on a velvet fabric but the last re-working she switched out the larger sapphire with a different diamond motif and replaced it with the sapphire from the ring with the sunburst diamond motif. She also took it off of the velvet fabric and put blue beads (maybe small sapphire beads) in it's place.
ImageUploadedByThe Royals Community1420956795.794277.jpgImageUploadedByThe Royals Community1420956826.760425.jpg

I'm actually interested in these diamond and emerald earrings of Diana's. Does anyone have info on them?
ImageUploadedByThe Royals Community1420957307.711086.jpgImageUploadedByThe Royals Community1420957318.161565.jpg

I've also never seem this choker/necklace before. It looks like a dark stone surrounded by pearls maybe. Does anyone have info on this one too?
ImageUploadedByThe Royals Community1420957395.761551.jpg

And one more...this looks like small sapphire and diamond earrings. Very dainty for the 80's. Any info on these would be appreciated as well.
ImageUploadedByThe Royals Community1420957463.661030.jpg

Re: The emerald choker. According to Suzy Menkes in The Royal Jewels this is the Queen Mary's cabochon emerald and diamond choker which was a wedding present from the Queen and Prince Charles bought an emerald and diamond bracelet bracelet to match.

That emerald cabacon choker is in my top 5 pieces of jewelry ever. Im just crazy about it. Kates taste is non existant to me. I have high hopes for Harry so we can see some of Di's incredible jewelry!!

That emerald cabacon choker is in my top 5 pieces of jewelry ever. Im just crazy about it. Kates taste is non existant to me. I have high hopes for Harry so we can see some of Di's incredible jewelry!!

Well, the Duchess has not yet had too many opportunities to wear major jewelry. The emerald jewels really require an event "in long" and of course the Duchess needs to like the design and the colour. Probably she finds the set too opulent, maybe more suitable for mature ladies, after all the Duchess is frêle and petite.

:flowers:

Last edited:
My question isn't with the emerald choker. I would like to know about the earrings that she's wearing with it. Do we know if they are part of the Queen's collection? Or a gift to Diana? She rarely wore them again after these two occasions.

We don't know whether the emerald choker has returned to the Buck House vault or whether it is part of the late princess' legacy that has been left to the Duke of Cambridge. Possibly it may be part of Prince Harry's inheritance.
Or the Duchess may simply not like it, or emeralds generally.. Until it appears again, we simply do not know !

I'd be astonished if the emerald choker didn't return to the Queen. IMO, Diana's jewellery was pretty much unremarkable, apart from those pieces loaned by HM which are now back with her. I'm not surprised Kate's chosen to wear very little of it.

Besides the difference in personalities and tastes, probably the Duchess of Cambridge has a preference for jewels not associated witn Diana, Princess of Wales. Just to avoid the eternal comparisons. Who knows...

:flowers:

I'm sure that's part of it although, let's be honest, other than the engagement ring 99% of the population couldn't name a piece of jewellery Diana wore if their lives depended on it.

On the pure aesthetics, though, a lot of Diana's personal jewellery probably wouldn't really appeal to someone in their early 30s.

Ironically, even though Diana's engagement ring is her most famous and identifiable piece of jewelry it's probably my least favorite. I've never liked it, it looks like costume jewelry imo.

On the other hand, that emerald-and-diamond choker.... wow!!:eek:

I agree Moonmaiden23.

The sapphire in the ring, although large, has no intensity of colour, or 'fire'.. I've never liked it and consider it unworthy to grace either of the women who have worn it...

Ironically, even though Diana's engagement ring is her most famous and identifiable piece of jewelry it's probably my least favorite. I've never liked it, it looks like costume jewelry imo.

On the other hand, that emerald-and-diamond choker.... wow!!:eek:

I agree Moonmaiden23.

The sapphire in the ring, although large, has no intensity of colour, or 'fire'.. I've never liked it and consider it unworthy to grace either of the women who have worn it...
I always thought the ring was OTT in size and was otherwise a somewhat ordinary ring. I would certainly agree that the stone had no intensity or 'fire', but since Diana chose it and showed a distinct attraction to all things sapphire, I would say it was worthy of her in that it spawned a positive avalanche of truely worthy sapphire jewellery.

Unfortunately Catherine does not yet have the 'presence' to show her jewellery to greatest efffect. I find myself wondering if this or that earring is even sapphire and diamonds . . . .

Now the emerald and diamond choker? Well, that's a whole other story. That peice is magnificent and would definitely need self-confidence or 'presence'. Then again, we don't know if it was a gift or a loan.

:previous:
The diamond and emerald choker was originally from Queen Mary's complete emerald parure which was made for the 1911 Delhi Durbar using the Cambridge and Indian emeralds. Queen Mary had it remodelled during the 1920s into its more geometric style.

The choker was selected by the Queen "from store" [ie from the depths of those mysterious hidden and forbidden vaults] and given to the Princess of Wales on her marriage.

ETA.. the diamond & emerald earrings she wore with the choker were a wedding gift from Charles.

Source: Suzy Menkes, The Royal Jewels, Third edition, pp168-169.

Last edited:
Just my opinion: but you either "like" jewelry or you don't. If you like it, you appreciate it and its beauty and believe that it is meant to be worn as much as possible.
If you don't like it, you adorn yourself with smaller pieces just to add to an outfit not enhance.
Maybe Catherine is just learning to appreciate jewels and will in time like to wear bigger pieces???
I don't think Diana had a lot of big pieces. She knew how to wear jewels but had a tendancy to wear medium size pieces that enhanced her and what she wore. I don't think I ever saw her wearing a large piece of jewelry. at least that I can remember. and she liked wearing jewels.

You wouldn't consider her sapphire set large?

Last edited by a moderator:
You wouldn't consider her sapphire set large?

Diana's Saudi Diamond and Sapphire Suite is pretty impressive and she had a great deal of other jewels as well.

It is very strange that the spouse to the future King of one of the world's grandest monarchs made most use of a loaned diadem from her own family. It is like the Duchess of Cornwall always and ever wearing the Cubitt-Shand diadem. The copy of the Cambridge Lovers' Knot Diadem has a striking design and not to everyone's taste. I have read somewhere that the previous Princess of Wales disliked the diadem: it had no any versatility and the sound of the hanging pearls clinging against the monture was not very comfortable.

Many necklaces worn by the previous Princess of Wales were also quite looking "Eighties" or "Nineties" and I can imagine these are not to everyone's taste now. In retrospect it is strange that from the vast collections of the British royal family, the previous Princess of Wales was only given a snippet. Her later Dutch "colleague" Princess Máxima has already worn more different diadems in the first two years of her princessendom than Diana in her whole life...

It is very strange that the spouse to the future King of one of the world's grandest monarchs made most use of a loaned diadem from her own family. It is like the Duchess of Cornwall always and ever wearing the Cubitt-Shand diadem. The copy of the Cambridge Lovers' Knot Diadem has a striking design and not to everyone's taste. I have read somewhere that the previous Princess of Wales disliked the diadem: it had no any versatility and the sound of the hanging pearls clinging against the monture was not very comfortable.

Many necklaces worn by the previous Princess of Wales were also quite looking "Eighties" or "Nineties" and I can imagine these are not to everyone's taste now. In retrospect it is strange that from the vast collections of the British royal family, the previous Princess of Wales was only given a snippet. Her later Dutch "colleague" Princess Máxima has already worn more different diadems in the first two years of her princessendom than Diana in her whole life...

The BRF, like the Danish, but unlike the Dutch and the Swedes, are not great sharers of jewels. They tend to have pieces identified with specific members of the family, and tend not to pool many pieces. This results in Diana, Camilla and Mary having used a far smaller proportion of the jewel collection than say, Maxima, Victoria or Madeleine. We can argue one way or the other, but that is the way it is done in these families, and, IMO, it is unlikely to change in a hurry.

WRT Diana and the Spencer tiara, I suspect it was largely her choice to continue to use the Spencer tiara regularly. I am sure if she went to the Queen and asked for a different tiara, she would probably have been offered an alternative to the Lovers Knot.

It is like the Duchess of Cornwall always and ever wearing the Cubitt-Shand diadem.

I have only seen her wear it twice to royal events, once in 2005 (or thereabouts) and once in 2014, both times to the Diplomatic Reception at BP. Are you suggesting it has been used more than that? Would you know where?

Well as far as tiaras went, Diana was well known for not being a fan. She found the Lovers Knot heavy and caused her headaches whereas the Spencer tiara, apart from being very beautiful in it's own right, was much lighter in construction and therefore less weighty. It is for that very same reason that HM has made 'The Girls' her "go to" tiara.

When it comes down to it, the Spencer always looked magical on her whereas when she wore the Lovers Knot it was somehow more severe and there was almost always a photo of her supposedly looking tired, bored or peeved, when really she just needed an asprin!

I have only seen her wear it twice to royal events, once in 2005 (or thereabouts) and once in 2014, both times to the Diplomatic Reception at BP. Are you suggesting it has been used more than that? Would you know where?

No I meant that the frequency in which Diana wore her family's diadem would be alike Camilla always wearing the Cubitt-Shand family diadem for royal events. (She indeed only used it twice). My way of expression is not always to the point.

Princess Diana Jewellery

Hi....
I'm was a newbies!and I want to know more about Princess Diana Jewels.She was such a spotlight on her time!

Last edited:
I asked in another thread then thought this one might be a better spot.

What happened to Diana's wedding band after her divorce/death? Does the Spencer family have it or do her boys?

LaRae

I asked in another thread then thought this one might be a better spot.

What happened to Diana's wedding band after her divorce/death? Does the Spencer family have it or do her boys?

LaRae

Her personal jewels are in William and Harry's possession. They got the engagement ring and band.

Do we know if Catherine's band is a new one or did she get Diana's?

LaRae

Do we know if Catherine's band is a new one or did she get Diana's?

LaRae

Catherine's band is new. It was made from the welsh gold that's provided to members of the Royal family for weddings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom