Diana, Princess of Wales Jewellery 2: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Gill and Warren for getting the REAL story out there.....you are right, once something is in cyber space, you can never get it back. Oh the drawbacks of modern technology. Thanks for trying to set the record straight!

Once the cat is out of the bag... (or the squirrel is in the wheel :hamster:...)
It seems to be near-impossible to stop internet misinformation, even when in this case subsequent posts clearly explain the picture is a mock-up.
I've put a rider in red and bold type under the link in question in the hope the picture won't be further misrepresented.

Bravo!! Many thanks for doing that for us all. :clap:

There's a superb 5 parts documentary on Youtube, called: Diana, her life in jewels.
Wow, thank you SO much for this link. I really enjoyed watching it. It's amazing seeing the amount of jewelery that she was given, the amount of attention that she got from it, and just from being such a beautiful person. She truly was beautiful. It was really sad though seeing her face at the last public gathering with Charles. Her face was just full of sadness. You could see that she was extremely unhappy. It's amazing, even with all that she had.. it just goes to show that even those who have everything can still be unhappy in the long run. Makes me want to cry. She reminds me of myself a little bit. She was so shy. She just wasn't ready to be Princess I think. It's amazing how much of a difference Camilla's public perception is.. And it makes me a little sad seeing the jewels passed on to the next wife. I'm glad that they got the Spencer Tiara back. I didn't know what happened to it. It hasn't been seen since and now is at the Spencer estate? Are people allowed in the estate, is there anything set up where you can see the tiara or do you have to be family to be allowed in?

Last edited by a moderator:
And it makes me a little sad seeing the jewels passed on to the next wife.
None of Diana's jewels have been "passed on to the next wife". The Lover's Knot tiara was returned to the Queen, the rest of her jewels were left to William and Harry.

I'm glad that they got the Spencer Tiara back.
The Spencer Tiara belongs to the Earl Spencer. It was returned to Diana's brother some time before her death.

None of Diana's jewels have been "passed on to the next wife". The Lover's Knot tiara was returned to the Queen, the rest of her jewels were left to William and Harry.

The Spencer Tiara belongs to the Earl Spencer. It was returned to Diana's brother some time before her death.

Wow, thanks for clearing that up. I figured as much.. I meant something completely different then what you think I thought.. Well in the video it said that her brother had to ask for it back or something like that.

Question... does anyone know if there are any pictures/paintings of the Spencer women wearing the Spencer tiara? I don't mean her sister.. I mean older ancestors.

Hi LadyMeg,
That video, Diana: Her Life in Jewels is very wonderful visually, but it really has a lot of false information in it. Nothing worn by Diana is now worn by Camilla. Pieces given to Diana by the Queen are now with the Queen again (Lover's Knot, Cambridge emerald choker) and her personal jewels (engagement ring, saudi sapphires, gifts from Charles) are being held for the princes. I would imagine that items such as the RFO and the PoW pendant were returned to the crown as well, being historic pieces and all.
Welcome to the Forums!
Janet

I see. Thank you very much for clearing that up and actually taking the time to explain. When was the video made? I hate how you can't get the right information unless you dig. Thank you again. :)

The Lover's Knot Tiara and the Cambridge Emerald Choker were personal bequests to The Queen from Queen Mary. She gave them to Diana as wedding gifts and they were returned to the Crown after Diana's death. The Queen Mother gave Diana the spectacular Sri Lankan sapphire surrounded by two rows of diamonds and the Prince of Wales feathers brooch, both of which were likely returned to The Queen as well.

The Spencer Tiara was borrowed by Diana after she married, but it was a bequest to her brother, Charles, from her grandfather. Since Charles was still a minor when she married and had no wife at the time, she continued to use it for many years. After Diana and Charles formally separated and The Earl Spencer married Victoria, he requested Diana return it, which she did.

The rest of her jewels were wedding gifts from the Saudis or the Gulf emirates, or gifts from Prince Charles. These jewels are in safekeeping for William and Harry as part of their inheritance.

I like Diana's pearl set so much. She looks stunning in every single picture. The golden bracelet & ring are both very beautiful as well. Thanks for sharing them!

Surely sapphires? The necklace looks absolutely gorgeous IMO. The tiara has a nice design as well.

Saudi sapphires she received as a wedding gift; the tiara is a family piece--the Spencer tiara--still in the Spencer family. She was allowed to borrow it when she wanted, but it wasnt' hers.

:previous:

Thank you very much for the information, jcbcode99! :flowers: The Spencers own quite a few lovely pieces!

It has been confirmed by a most reliable source on the Royal Jewels MB who works for the Royal Collections that the frequently discussed Prince of Wales Feathers’ pendant with emerald drop worn by Princess Diana and the Duchess of Cornwall are indeed one and the same piece.

Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Re: about your ratios

:previous: This is very interesting! Does anyone know if there are more jewels worn by both women? :flowers:

It has been confirmed by a most reliable source on the Royal Jewels MB who works for the Royal Collections that the frequently discussed Prince of Wales Feathers’ pendant with emerald drop worn by Princess Diana and the Duchess of Cornwall are indeed one and the same piece.

Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Re: about your ratios

I have come to learn that if either Boffer or Nellie state something, it is true. I am surprised, though, to learn that there was only one pendant. However, it is an historic piece and should not be soley associated with Diana, who was just one Princess of Wales who wore it. Camilla is the current Princess of Wales although she declines use of the title--it is within her role to wear that pendant when she so desires.

I have come to learn that if either Boffer or Nellie state something, it is true.
Hardly; but Boffer has the best connections in this case, and I do not remember him deciding to share any information which turned out to be wrong in retrospect.
I am surprised, though, to learn that there was only one pendant.
Actually, I'm not. The further the discussion went, the more apparent it became that it was either one piece or two completely identical ones, and the latter possibility did not make that much sense IMHO - neither historically nor technically in terms of craftsmanship.
However, it is an historic piece and should not be soley associated with Diana, who was just one Princess of Wales who wore it. Camilla is the current Princess of Wales although she declines use of the title--it is within her role to wear that pendant when she so desires.
Absolutely correct.
The whole Camilla vs. Diana debate has been a severe handicap in the discussion of this piece for the longest time, and hopefully it does not enter into it again now.
If it could be attributed to any individual, then this would have to be neither the late Princess of Wales nor the Duchess of Cornwall, but Princess Alexandra of Denmark, its first wearer.

Janet, I am sorry but in my opinion it is in the worst possible taste, given the depth of the jewel case that Camilla has at her fingertips, for her to wear a piece so associated with Diana...

I see nothing wrong with Camilla wearing this lovely piece, as stated above, it is worn by the Princess of Wales and that is what Camilla is now. I would rather have beautiful pieces of jewelry worn than collect dust and moulder in some vault. It's funny that when the Duchess of Cornwall wears the jewelry of the late QEQM, there isn't any fuss and so it shouldn't be with pieces Diana has worn especially since they come from the Royal Collection and are not her personal jewelry which was dealt with after her death. Whew, that's all I'm going to say on the subject and I'm glad that Boffer cleared up the debate.:)

In the first pic she wears Chanel false jewels,but these are lovely earrings
She was very fond of using false jewels,but she always chose exquisite false jewels..
I like specially the purse and ring of the last two pics I selected:flowers:
I love these earrings specially,the pearl ones of first pic ,and the wonderful earrings of last pic and the costume jewelry of the second pic.Thanks maryamj:flowers:

I did like the fact that Diana wore costume jewelry at times. It seems as if alot of Cprincesses do that now days, but Diana was one of the trend starters yet again!

In the first pic she wears Chanel false jewels,but these are lovely earrings
She was very fond of using false jewels,but she always chose exquisite false jewels...I like specially the purse and ring of the last two pics I selected:flowers:
The aquamarine ring as well as the bracelet are not costume jewelry but the 'real thing'.

The aquamarine ring as well as the bracelet are not costume jewelry but the 'real thing'.
Yes of course,I meant costume jewelry to the first pic of Chanel.I never said the last pics were false jewels,on the contrary....

Hardly; but Boffer has the best connections in this case, and I do not remember him deciding to share any information which turned out to be wrong in retrospect. Actually, I'm not. The further the discussion went, the more apparent it became that it was either one piece or two completely identical ones, and the latter possibility did not make that much sense IMHO - neither historically nor technically in terms of craftsmanship.Absolutely correct.
I am surprised that you say that Boris. The last time this came up I had posted an article about Camilla wearing this piece and was roundly flamed as 'Camilla would never do that..and we have established that they are 2 different jewels'. It always seemed to me that 'the 2' were identical.

Janet, I am sorry but in my opinion it is in the worst possible taste, given the depth of the jewel case that Camilla has at her fingertips, for her to wear a piece so associated with Diana...

But, the piece was not Diana's--it is a piece which belongs to the Princess of Wales. Diana wasn't the only Princess of Wales. And, while Diana wore the piece often, I'm sure I would say that it was associated only with her. That's pretty much ignoring some significant jewel history! It's not as if Camilla is wearing her engagement ring or the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara--those are pieces associated dramatically with her.

I am surprised that you say that Boris. The last time this came up I had posted an article about Camilla wearing this piece and was roundly flamed as 'Camilla would never do that..and we have established that they are 2 different jewels'. It always seemed to me that 'the 2' were identical.
Same over here.
Frankly, I had gotten tired of discussing the issue here on the TRF after realizing the very personal tone of some posts, and seeing that some posters went as far as offering false descriptions of the piece in order to 'firmly establish' the myth that there are two.

The only difference in the handling of the piece regarding Princess Diana and the Duchess of Cornwall is that the Royal Collections and its stipulations first came into effect after Diana's death.
The Prince of Wales pendant can indeed be considered a gift to Diana upon marriage, which as a gift naturally remained physically with her after the divorce and until her death. Most probably, it would have stayed with her whether Prince Charles had remarried or not, along with the other royal pieces she had been given.
But with Diana deceased, the pendant reverted to Prince Charles and was subsequently made a part of the Royal Collections; it is not his personal property either.
For the Duchess of Cornwall, it was never a gift - legally, it's simply a piece from the Royal Collections she is entitled to wear, and she chooses to do so, no matter whether it used to be part of Princess Diana's jewelry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom