The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

My personal favorite is the Swan Lake diamond and pearl necklace. I also love the sapphire brooch from QEQM that was made into a necklace, which she wore to the White House. I'm not too wild about the modern tassel necklaces, they always look off center to me.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

The 'Swan Lake' necklace was beautiful, but never hers - Princess Diana borrowed it for that one night. Statements that she had planned to actually buy it have to be taken with a grain of salt, to put it mildly - the claim was certainly made to rise the necklace's re-sale value.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:06 PM
Aristocracy

Thanks for the welcome GillW... After months of just reading these boards, I decided to dip a toe in - and cannot believe I waited so long. Of course now, I just need to make sure I don't spend ALL my free time on here.... I'm just happy to know I am not the only one so obsessed by all of this - my friends eyes just glaze over.

Anyway, am off topic. Don't want to get a telling off in my first few posts!

Back to Di's rocks. Swan Lake was of course a fabulous piece - and I think it was Di having fun with jewelery at this time, and wearing grown up pieces elegantly, not playing around with headbands like she would have been a decade before. Such a pity we didn't get to see more of these amazing pieces being trotted out by her!
Old 01-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Royal Highness

I like all of her tiaras.Perhaps some of them are not so elegant,but I love seeing them on Diana.She definitely knew how to wear jewels without jewels wearing her
Old 01-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Royal Highness

Umm, she only had worn two. which one wasn't so elegant?
Old 01-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incas View Post
Umm, she only had worn two. which one wasn't so elegant?
I would venture that iakynthi is thinking of Diana's experiments with her chokers:
Princess Diana's jewels - Page: 4 of 4

Princess Diana's jewels - Page: 4 of 4 (go all the way down for the sapphire one)

both of which looked ridiculous on her. Truly--however, she wore the Spencer and the Lover's Knot very well.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 01-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

I thought it was clever that she wore the cambridge choker as a bandeu. The other choker did look ridiculous but fashionable at the time though.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Royal Highness

I do agree, it was clever--but certainly not a "fashion-do". But, I'd love to wear that Cambridge choker--forehead, neck, ankle--doesn't matter. I'd love to get my hands on it.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 01-18-2009, 01:31 AM
Nobility

Princess Diana's charm bracelet

Diana had a charm bracelet. Photo show 11 charms.
9 are identified thus"
Gold W
Gold H
ballet shoes
tennis racquet
polo cap
minitre St Paul's Cathedral
bear
apple
pig

What are the other 2 charms, and what do they represent?
Old 01-18-2009, 05:30 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
I thought it was clever that she wore the cambridge choker as a bandeu. The other choker did look ridiculous but fashionable at the time though.
Of course on both occasions she had a reason to wear those pieces as a headband. In Australia her neck was tender from the hot sun, so she wore her planned jewel on her head instead. In Japan, she felt that a tiara adding to her height above her diminutive hosts would have been too much, so chose to wear the lower profile instead.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillW View Post
Of course on both occasions she had a reason to wear those pieces as a headband. In Australia her neck was tender from the hot sun, so she wore her planned jewel on her head instead. In Japan, she felt that a tiara adding to her height above her diminutive hosts would have been too much, so chose to wear the lower profile instead.
I didn't realize any of that, I thought she was just experimenting and playing. I think that either could have worked if there had been a frame--they would have looked similar in style (but much smaller than) the amethyst tiara of the Swedish royals, only more of a bandeau style--like when QEQM wore those multi-colored diamond and gem set bracelets as a a bandeau? Had it been more like that, those chokers on her head may have been more successful.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Is that the same tiara on display as in the picture?
Old 01-29-2009, 09:04 AM
Heir Apparent

A diamond necklace once possessed by late Lady Diana, Princess of Wales, who died after a car crash in Paris on 31 August 1997, is on display at the exhibition 'Diana: A Celebration' in Budapest, Hungary 28 January 2009. The exhibition presenting Lady Di's life - which is on tour around Europe and has its first station at the Karolyi-Csekonics Palace in Budapest - will open on 31 January 2009

ANP Beeldbank

A tiara - made in 1840 from silver, gold and diamond - once possessed by late Lady Diana, Princess of Wales, who died after a car crash in Paris on 31 August 1997, is on display at the exhibition 'Diana: A Celebration' in Budapest, Hungary 28 January 2009. The exhibition presenting Lady Di's life - which is on tour around Europe and has its first station at the Karolyi-Csekonics Palace in Budapest - will open on 31 January 2009.

ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
Old 01-29-2009, 09:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Neither of these pieces were ever in the possession of Princess Diana.
The necklace is a Spencer heirloom, worn by Diana in public once in December 1983; on that occasion, all pendants apart from the central drop pearl were removed from the necklace.
The tiara pictured here is the 'other' Spencer tiara, which Princess Diana apparently never even wore.
The 'Diana: A celebration' exhibition has been touring for a long time, obviously continuing to give out the same inaccurate press information.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:23 AM
Majesty

here is videos about her jewllery

from youtube
part 1

part 2

part 3

part 4

part 5
Old 02-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Youtube is an absolute treasure trove. Little jewelry pun. One also sees there former TRF members who no longer are here.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Delight View Post
A diamond necklace once possessed by late Lady Diana, Princess of Wales ...
This website's information is wrong. Diana never possessed either the necklace or the tiara. They are both Spencer family pieces--and as far I can recall the only Spencer family piece she wore was the garland style Spencer tiara. The Spencer's also have a tiara that was owned by Marie Antionette, among other goodies.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Diana would have looked wonderful in those pieces. Such a shame she never wore them. She could have done something fabulous with such antique pieces.....!
Old 02-21-2009, 09:28 AM
Aristocracy

Actually, she has worn the diamond necklace:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...ndnecklace.jpg
Old 02-21-2009, 09:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Indeed: In contrast to the other Spencer tiara, Princess Diana did wear the necklace in public once, in December 1983, as seen in the picture posted by andrew. She chose to wear it with only the central drop pearl pendant attached.
As I said before, anp can't really be blamed for the wrong information here, because the info is based on what's provided by the exhibition, which has been touring forever labeling these pieces incorrectly.

Tags
diana, jewellery, princess of wales