The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-29-2007, 07:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

With the right hairstyle the honeysuckle tiara could actually look flattering.

Out of all her necklaces this choker is my favorite
http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/73389...4831B75F48EF45

Old 11-29-2007, 11:11 PM
Royal Highness

That is really a beautiful piece! It was a brooch that the Queen Mother gave to Diana as a wedding present, but Diana didn't care for brooches and only wore it once or twice before adapting it to wear with the pearls--but it can still be worn as a brooch, too.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 12-04-2007, 02:33 AM
Aristocracy

The sapphire is huge. I remember a photo with Diana using the broach to pin her sash in place. But I do like it a chocker.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Diana, Princess Of Wales Jewellery 1 - i noticed this necklace and also wondered where it came from - i think that it was another necklace given to the Queen by the Saudi royals or some other Arab country and im sure that Camilla has worn this necklace here is a picture of what i believe is the same necklace at the diamond wedding anniversary dinner
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/9559/77970491vh9.jpg

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...0&d=1131430646 in america
as this is not a necklace that diana wore much it clearly has been loaned to Camilla without any notice

Old 01-24-2008, 09:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

I have 3 stupid questions.......... The jewelry belongs to the queen right? DId Diana recieve any jewels as a gift from the queen? And finally... Are some jewelry on special reserve for queens only?

Old 01-25-2008, 09:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry's polo shirt View Post
I have 3 stupid questions.......... The jewelry belongs to the queen right? DId Diana recieve any jewels as a gift from the queen? And finally... Are some jewelry on special reserve for queens only?
The royal collection of jewels belongs to The Sovereign and is generally passed on to the next one. By convention, certain pieces given as gifts or bequests are considered personal property and are given to members of the royal family from time to time. These pieces generally remain with that family until otherwise disposed of.

Diana received the Lover's Knot Tiara, the Cambridge emerald choker and a few other valuable pieces from The Queen as gifts. She was allowed to keep these jewels after her divorce, with the condition they could never be sold or lent. After her death, these jewels were returned to The Queen.

Each Queen or Queen Consort wears pieces that were designated by Queen Victoria or Queen Mary as belonging to the Crown to be worn in right of it. The present Queen is also likely to designate many pieces received throughout her reign as belonging to the Crown to be worn only by Queens as well.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Aristocracy

" Diana, Princess Of Wales Jewellery 1 - i noticed this necklace and also wondered where it came from - i think that it was another necklace given to the Queen by the Saudi royals or some other Arab country and im sure that Camilla has worn this necklace here is a picture of what i believe is the same necklace at the diamond wedding anniversary dinner
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/9559/77970491vh9.jpg"

They are 2 different necklaces!
And here are photos to prove it:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...ersaryPhot.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...wcs/dimys1.jpg

Camilla has enough jewels to wear, she doesn't have to borrow from the late Princess' estate.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:49 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

repeatandrew i have the book that the photo of Diana with the diamond necklace came from and they are very similiar if not the same - the photo posted here of diana is not very clear. If you look closely the necklaces are the same shape and style.

I wasnt saying that it borthered me that Camilla was wearing what appears to have been previuolsy worn by Diana as this necklace was loaned from the Queen. What does annoy me is when she wears the diamond and emerald brooch given by the Queen Mum to Diana

if the necklaces are different where did Camilla's come from??????????

Old 01-26-2008, 02:08 PM
Aristocracy

I'm 100% sure that those necklaces are different. Camilla's necklace can be a gift from Charles or a gift from an Arab ruler.
As for the Wales feathers brooch. It is Camilla's husband's symbol, so she is fully entitled to wearing it! And I'm not sure that was a gift from QMum to Diana...there are several wales-feather brooches in the royal collection..
Old 01-27-2008, 01:46 AM
Royal Highness

Here we go again....the PoW brooches are different--it can be seen in the detail of the design of the shank holding the drops, and in the number of diamonds each piece has. Honestly, it never ceases to amaze me that people seem to think that the BRF only has one PoW feather brooch. Queen Alexandra had several, IIRC. Irregardless, if Camilla is wearing any piece of family jewelery that has been passed through generations that may have been worn by Diana, well, that's the way it is. These are family pieces, meant to be enjoyed by the family members. It's not as if Camilla's strolling around wearing Diana's engagement ring, after all.
I'm going to look for the information about the brooches--we've discussed it I don't know how many times on these threads.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 01-27-2008, 01:54 AM
Royal Highness

OK, I found a post by Skydragon that discusses the number of stones and has pictures. Now, the pictures aren't in the actual post, you have to click on them so make sure you pull both up and look at them together. Additionally, the scrolling plume on the bottom of Camilla's is emeralds and Diana's were not.
Charles and Camilla current events 14: September - November 2006

Also, on Ursula's site scroll down a bit; just a nicer photo of the brooch the Duchess wears
Emerald Jewels | Wedding gifts to Queen Alexandra | Camilla Duchess of Cornwall

Old 01-27-2008, 05:05 AM
Aristocracy

Thank you jcbcode99 for the detailed answered! I knew they were not the same but could't provide details!
Old 01-27-2008, 11:58 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
... if the necklaces are different where did Camilla's come from??????????
There are many diamond necklaces in the world - Camilla's could have come from anywhere!

BUT - these two are very clearly different designs - Diana's is a floral design with very clear circular motifs of graduating size, whereas Camilla's is a simple graduated fringe, with no circles and no floral pieces (beautiful as it is...)
Old 03-16-2008, 06:53 AM
Nobility

There's a superb 5 parts documentary on Youtube, called: Diana, her life in jewels. Here is the link I highly recomend it, you can only gaze in amazement at the sight of some very very wonderful pieces of jewelry.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:15 PM
Royal Highness

Very interesting and I enjoyed it--but there are several inaccuracies with the provenece and history of the jewels. Mildly irritating if you know the history--wonderful if you don't.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Princess looked resplended in all of her jewels.

It was a was a very interesting documentary.
I remember one of the women being interviewed said that " All the Jewels in the world can not make somebody shine if they do not shine within themselves."
Which I believe is very true. The Princess of Wales had a very impressive jewellery collection.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:50 PM
Royal Highness

I agree--she wore jewels quite well. I loved her signature piece--the QM brooch set as a center for the pearls. Stunning.
It was impressive, but it seemed a little small. I do wish she had liked brooches--I think we would have seen more "bling" on her!

Old 03-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

IMO she was too young to wear brooches, and back in the 80s it wouldn't have looked that great with some of the dresses she wore. I do remember her wearing a brooch with her pink Versace suit in 1995 during her visit to the Princess of Wales Royal regiment.

Her collection was indeed small but her taste in jewellery was simple so maybe that explains why she didn't buy more pieces.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:01 PM
Royal Highness

That's true--"less is more" suited her.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:19 PM

Casi - I agree that necklace in Picture 3 is by far the ugliest piece in the lot. Given to her as a wedding gift I believe by some Sultan or something, 'nother. As noted, youtube has the entire documentary on file on Diana and her jewels. I think it's insensitive for Camilla to wear anything that Diana wore, or maybe insensitive is not the proper word, maybe 'bad taste' because come on, aren't there other jewels you could swing over your neck than ones already used before by the People's Princess?

Does anyone know if anyone has dared to wear the Emerald choker that Diana wore as a headband?

Tags
diana, jewellery, princess of wales