Diana, Princess of Wales Jewellery 2: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That choker returned to HM on Diana's death - it was on exhibition at Buckingham Palace with other jewels as part of the evening gowns exhibition. In all probability it will not be worn for some years to come. The Queen seems to prefer the longer necklace with it's negligee drops, and I can't see Camilla borrowing that choker as it is a fairly small necklace - it was snug even on Diana.

Camilla seems to be happiest wearing treasures from the jewel caskets of the late Queen Mother or pieces which have no obvious royal connections (apart from a few bits that were once Alice Keppel's) I'm sure she has the sense to stay away from wearing anything directly connected to Diana.

Last edited by a moderator:
Camilla has not worn any items which were formerly worn by Diana.

There's some disagreement whether they're the same or just similar.

They are two different brooches similar but different.

Are we really going to go back down this road regarding the POW feather brooch again? Princess B, I refer you to post number 61. I can certainly see where it looks as if the brooches may be the same, but they are not. There are only so many ways to style a Prince of Wales feather brooch. These are two different brooches given to Queen Alexandra; the emeralds are different, the number of stones are different, etc... they are not the same. However, being the current Princess of Wales if Camilla wants to wear a family piece Diana wore she has every right to do so--but I honestly believe that Camilla has no desire at all to wear any piece that was every associated with Diana for two reasons--one, why do something that will bring negative press? She's too smart for that. Two, it would be disrespectful to William and Harry.

There are at least four different Prince of Wales feather brooches, including two made for Alexandra when she was Princess of Wales, and another two, one made for Mary and another that was given to Diana as a wedding gift from The Queen Mother.

There's a superb 5 parts documentary on Youtube, called: Diana, her life in jewels... [snipped]
Thanks for the clip!:flowers:
The sapphire jewellery presented by the Saudis looked grandeur. I regard 11 strand pearl chocker as the most amazing piece. I think that Princess Diana did a great job wearing chockers.

I agree about that 11 strand choker--that is gorgeous, really her signature piece if you think about it. She wore jewels very well--
the youtube clips were good, and offered great pictures, but it had a lot of facts wrong--which really annoys me! But, the clips were nice to look at.

'Britain' :
Here is Princess Diana wearing a lavender dress by Versace (mentioned in YouTube clip @9.36, see post 64 by clymeme) with a different pearl choker. This three-strand choker is superb. I can only image the price...

Hey I have read that one of the Saudi jewel was translated into a headband by Diana can any1 say what piece was that Bracelet or her necklace????

The Cambridge Emeralds choker was attached to black velvet and worn as a bandeau or headband on at least two occasions.
Diana also had a choker created from the Saudi sapphire and diamond wedding gift suite. This choker was worn as a headband at a banquet in honour of Emperor Hirohito.

Scroll down to the bottom of this link to see pictures of both jewels.

I have to say, Diana did have style--but those chokers as headbands across her forehead a'la 1920 just do not look right to me. I much prefer her wearing them traditionally. I also wish she had worn more brooches, but I love that Cartier Tank watch of hers.

The Cambridge Emeralds choker was attached to black velvet and worn as a bandeau or headband on at least two occasions.
Diana also had a choker created from the Saudi sapphire and diamond wedding gift suite. This choker was worn as a headband at a banquet in honour of Emperor Hirohito.

Scroll down to the bottom of this link to see pictures of both jewels.
The art deco emerald choker of PDiana's was my personal favorate piece of all her jewelry(Iknow it wasn't really hers). So Stunning, I would very much like to have it!!!:D

CBC Canada

Not sure if some royal followers are familiar with the CBC in Canada, but the CBC has a program called The Passionate Eye, and all this week they're broadcasting everything Royal. On Christmas night there will be a program on called Princess Diana: Her Life in Jewels.

Here's the link: CBC Newsworld : Passionate Eye Showcase : Documentary

Now I know for those who don't live in Canada, might not be able to watch it, so I checked the CBC store, in case there are those who would like to purchase a copy of this series, and unfortunately, I can't find a DVD of it in the online store. SORRY :sad: However, here's the link to the CBC online store, and there is a phone number, for those who might want to call and inquire about any of The Passionate Eye Royal Episodes.

CBC Shop Online

Hope this helps....

I have seen this program and it is wonderful eye candy! However, I suggest watching with a grain of salt. There are several inaccuracies about Diana's jewels, their history and the narrator states several times that Camilla wears several pieces of Diana's jewelry, which is untrue. But, as I said it is DELIGHTFUL eye candy!

Hello Magazine Monday October 9, 2006, has photos of Camilla wearing a brooch of D's.

Hello Magazine Monday October 9, 2006, has photos of Camilla wearing a brooch of D's.

It's not Diana's brooch. There were several brooches made for Queen Alexandra and Queen Mary with the Prince of Wales feathers, so it's not the same one.

Because it is fairly common knowledge that Queen Alexandra had several PoW feather brooches with emerald drops. Suzy Menkes has a photograph of two in her book and in fact, the brooch Diana wore and the brooch Camilla wears have different shaped emerald drops, a different number of diamonds, and a different shank on the emerald. Skydragon did a very comprehensive post which compared both pieces, but I can't put my hands on it. Just do a search and you will see the two are different.
That being said, it is easy to confuse the PoW brooches with the emeralds--frankly, how many ways can you design a PoW feather brooch?

OK, good to know. Thanks, Janet!

I'm surprised you're raising this hoary old chestnut again scooter. A check of the thread where this urban myth was first discussed and debunked back in 2006 shows you made a post on the same page so you can't be unaware of the facts.

The claim "Camilla is wearing Diana's jewels!!!" is resurrected at regular intervals in various threads. A case of repeating a lie often enough so some people believe it, maybe?

So, once again, let's put this particular one to rest. From Charles & Camilla current events 14, October 2006:

Camilla's POW Feathers Brooch: has 20 brilliant cut diamonds around the circle plus the brilliant cut emeralds. small brilliant diamonds for the uprights of the feathers, 3 brilliant cut diamonds for the plumes and 3 small emeralds either side. It also has a baguette diamond or 3 small diamonds going across the feathers. The Bail cap is a simple tiered design.

Diana's POW Feathers Brooch: has 18 brilliant diamonds around the circle plus the brilliant cut emeralds, 2 brilliant cut diamond and 6 smaller diamonds for the plumes, no emeralds at the side of the uprights, instead it has diamonds. The Bail cap and lower work on the feather supports is wirework.

The Emeralds are a different shape, Camilla's is called a raindrop and Diana's a teardrop.

I have seen this program and it is wonderful eye candy! However, I suggest watching with a grain of salt. There are several inaccuracies about Diana's jewels, their history and the narrator states several times that Camilla wears several pieces of Diana's jewelry, which is untrue. But, as I said it is DELIGHTFUL eye candy!

Warren,
As evidenced by the above.... I DID NOT BRING IT UP, hory old chestnut or not. I simply replied to Janet's post asking how Janet knows that the program's claims are false. I'm a little tired of always being blamed.

Not sure if some royal followers are familiar with the CBC in Canada, but the CBC has a program called The Passionate Eye, and all this week they're broadcasting everything Royal. On Christmas night there will be a program on called Princess Diana: Her Life in Jewels.

Here's the link: CBC Newsworld : Passionate Eye Showcase : Documentary

Now I know for those who don't live in Canada, might not be able to watch it, so I checked the CBC store, in case there are those who would like to purchase a copy of this series, and unfortunately, I can't find a DVD of it in the online store. SORRY :sad: However, here's the link to the CBC online store, and there is a phone number, for those who might want to call and inquire about any of The Passionate Eye Royal Episodes.

CBC Shop Online

Hope this helps....

Ok, so, as evidenced by the above post, I did not bring this topic up initially and will not stand for being picked as the culprit! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
However, Scooter, I can certainly understand your frustration and if I have ever added to it I want to apologize for that. Often, when posting on these boards, tones or quips can often be misconstrued and what results is often hard feelings.
Now, that being said, Brightlighter (who I see is now banned) commented on this special which attempted to place Camilla in a negative light. I had seen it and wanted to make all who saw it aware that while it may be nice eye candy, be prepared to be annoyed because it gets a lot of information incorrect. Although I didn't mention it specifically in my post about eye candy, one topic which was incorrect in this "documentary" was the often discussed PoW feather brooch. The narrator stated that Camilla wears it, when in fact she does not. Then, naturally, someone discussed Camilla wearing it and then we went into the topic of the PoW feather brooch--which I did not bring up but which I happily responded to as it is a common theme in the jewel threads.
Anyway, Warren, your summation of the two brooches is wonderful. Thank you!

Last edited:
As you well know, the claim made in 2006 of "Camilla wearing a brooch of D's" was not true.

scooter said:
As evidenced by the above.... I DID NOT BRING IT UP.
You repeated what you knew to be wrong yet neglected to state the truth.

. . . . . . . . . .

It would serve everyone if Royal Jewels discussions could be kept to what is factually correct rather than being diverted by misinformation and red-herring dead ends.

Last edited:
As you well know, the claim made in 2006 of "Camilla wearing a brooch of D's" was not true.

You repeated what you knew to be wrong yet neglected to state the truth.

. . . . . . . . . .

It would serve everyone if Royal Jewels discussions could be kept to what is factually correct rather than being diverted by misinformation and red-herring dead ends.

Warren, please explain to me how I 'well know' anything about the jewelry? Because almost 3 years ago I posted on a thread? I repeated what I knew to be wrong? What???? Are all posters expected to review threads from several years ago before posting? I have not spent much time on the jewelry threads....as you well know.

I have not spent much time on the jewelry threads....as you well know.
I find it hard to believe that you are unaware of the "Camilla is wearing Diana's jewels!!!" nonsense as it has been repeated in both the Diana and Camilla British subforums.
In any case you should check your facts before posting such obvious misinformation.

I am actually glad that the subject was brought up again by scooter.
Although I'm quite interested in Royal jewelry, after reading many posts about the two brooches in question I had filed the matter under 'unresolved' in my mind back then, and now I know better.
The two brooches are as similar as they get, so it's not a sin - and no reason to be rather gruff, IMHO - if the subject comes up again periodically. Others do as well, and it doesn't hurt really to refresh one's memory. Plus, it usually leads to the next question, which for me in this case is the provenance of Camilla's brooch.
While Diana's brooch is definitely one out of the four brooches which, along with the Dagmar necklace, were Princess Alexandra's dowry from Denmark, Camilla's remains unclear to me - it's not one of the other three.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom