The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-11-2015, 02:54 PM
Serene Highness

I agree Moonmaiden23.

The sapphire in the ring, although large, has no intensity of colour, or 'fire'.. I've never liked it and consider it unworthy to grace either of the women who have worn it...

Old 01-11-2015, 10:15 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Ironically, even though Diana's engagement ring is her most famous and identifiable piece of jewelry it's probably my least favorite. I've never liked it, it looks like costume jewelry imo.

On the other hand, that emerald-and-diamond choker.... wow!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
I agree Moonmaiden23.

The sapphire in the ring, although large, has no intensity of colour, or 'fire'.. I've never liked it and consider it unworthy to grace either of the women who have worn it...
I always thought the ring was OTT in size and was otherwise a somewhat ordinary ring. I would certainly agree that the stone had no intensity or 'fire', but since Diana chose it and showed a distinct attraction to all things sapphire, I would say it was worthy of her in that it spawned a positive avalanche of truely worthy sapphire jewellery.

Unfortunately Catherine does not yet have the 'presence' to show her jewellery to greatest efffect. I find myself wondering if this or that earring is even sapphire and diamonds . . . .

Now the emerald and diamond choker? Well, that's a whole other story. That peice is magnificent and would definitely need self-confidence or 'presence'. Then again, we don't know if it was a gift or a loan.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:45 PM
Administrator in Memoriam

The diamond and emerald choker was originally from Queen Mary's complete emerald parure which was made for the 1911 Delhi Durbar using the Cambridge and Indian emeralds. Queen Mary had it remodelled during the 1920s into its more geometric style.

The choker was selected by the Queen "from store" [ie from the depths of those mysterious hidden and forbidden vaults] and given to the Princess of Wales on her marriage.

ETA.. the diamond & emerald earrings she wore with the choker were a wedding gift from Charles.

Source: Suzy Menkes, The Royal Jewels, Third edition, pp168-169.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:08 PM
Courtier

Just my opinion: but you either "like" jewelry or you don't. If you like it, you appreciate it and its beauty and believe that it is meant to be worn as much as possible.
If you don't like it, you adorn yourself with smaller pieces just to add to an outfit not enhance.
Maybe Catherine is just learning to appreciate jewels and will in time like to wear bigger pieces???
I don't think Diana had a lot of big pieces. She knew how to wear jewels but had a tendancy to wear medium size pieces that enhanced her and what she wore. I don't think I ever saw her wearing a large piece of jewelry. at least that I can remember. and she liked wearing jewels.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

You wouldn't consider her sapphire set large?
Old 02-28-2015, 10:31 PM
Majesty

The Top Ten: Princess Diana's Jewels | The Court Jeweller

I absolutely love all the jewels featured here. Those sapphires are so stunning. Diana's jewels are simply exquisite and magnificent.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post

You wouldn't consider her sapphire set large?

Diana's Saudi Diamond and Sapphire Suite is pretty impressive and she had a great deal of other jewels as well.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-01-2015, 05:48 AM
Heir Apparent

It is very strange that the spouse to the future King of one of the world's grandest monarchs made most use of a loaned diadem from her own family. It is like the Duchess of Cornwall always and ever wearing the Cubitt-Shand diadem. The copy of the Cambridge Lovers' Knot Diadem has a striking design and not to everyone's taste. I have read somewhere that the previous Princess of Wales disliked the diadem: it had no any versatility and the sound of the hanging pearls clinging against the monture was not very comfortable.

Many necklaces worn by the previous Princess of Wales were also quite looking "Eighties" or "Nineties" and I can imagine these are not to everyone's taste now. In retrospect it is strange that from the vast collections of the British royal family, the previous Princess of Wales was only given a snippet. Her later Dutch "colleague" Princess Máxima has already worn more different diadems in the first two years of her princessendom than Diana in her whole life...
Old 03-01-2015, 06:41 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
It is very strange that the spouse to the future King of one of the world's grandest monarchs made most use of a loaned diadem from her own family. It is like the Duchess of Cornwall always and ever wearing the Cubitt-Shand diadem. The copy of the Cambridge Lovers' Knot Diadem has a striking design and not to everyone's taste. I have read somewhere that the previous Princess of Wales disliked the diadem: it had no any versatility and the sound of the hanging pearls clinging against the monture was not very comfortable.

Many necklaces worn by the previous Princess of Wales were also quite looking "Eighties" or "Nineties" and I can imagine these are not to everyone's taste now. In retrospect it is strange that from the vast collections of the British royal family, the previous Princess of Wales was only given a snippet. Her later Dutch "colleague" Princess Máxima has already worn more different diadems in the first two years of her princessendom than Diana in her whole life...
The BRF, like the Danish, but unlike the Dutch and the Swedes, are not great sharers of jewels. They tend to have pieces identified with specific members of the family, and tend not to pool many pieces. This results in Diana, Camilla and Mary having used a far smaller proportion of the jewel collection than say, Maxima, Victoria or Madeleine. We can argue one way or the other, but that is the way it is done in these families, and, IMO, it is unlikely to change in a hurry.

WRT Diana and the Spencer tiara, I suspect it was largely her choice to continue to use the Spencer tiara regularly. I am sure if she went to the Queen and asked for a different tiara, she would probably have been offered an alternative to the Lovers Knot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
It is like the Duchess of Cornwall always and ever wearing the Cubitt-Shand diadem.
I have only seen her wear it twice to royal events, once in 2005 (or thereabouts) and once in 2014, both times to the Diplomatic Reception at BP. Are you suggesting it has been used more than that? Would you know where?
Old 03-01-2015, 06:50 AM
Majesty

Well as far as tiaras went, Diana was well known for not being a fan. She found the Lovers Knot heavy and caused her headaches whereas the Spencer tiara, apart from being very beautiful in it's own right, was much lighter in construction and therefore less weighty. It is for that very same reason that HM has made 'The Girls' her "go to" tiara.

When it comes down to it, the Spencer always looked magical on her whereas when she wore the Lovers Knot it was somehow more severe and there was almost always a photo of her supposedly looking tired, bored or peeved, when really she just needed an asprin!
Old 03-01-2015, 06:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I have only seen her wear it twice to royal events, once in 2005 (or thereabouts) and once in 2014, both times to the Diplomatic Reception at BP. Are you suggesting it has been used more than that? Would you know where?
No I meant that the frequency in which Diana wore her family's diadem would be alike Camilla always wearing the Cubitt-Shand family diadem for royal events. (She indeed only used it twice). My way of expression is not always to the point.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:06 AM
Majesty

Queen Mary's Lover's Knot Tiara | The Court Jeweller

This tiara is absolutely stunning! So regal and breathtaking. I can't wait to see it again.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:03 AM
Commoner

Princess Diana Jewellery

Hi....
I'm was a newbies!and I want to know more about Princess Diana Jewels.She was such a spotlight on her time!
Old 10-04-2015, 12:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deroyalista View Post
Hi....
I'm was a newbies!and I want to know more about Princess Diana Jewels.She was such a spotlight on her time!
Have you been here?: Jewellery of Today's British Royalty - The Tudors Wiki
Old 10-04-2015, 02:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deroyalista View Post
Hi....

This is the classic: http://www.dianasjewels.net
Old 02-16-2016, 05:15 PM
Majesty

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Royal Jewels of the Day: Diana's Collingwood Diamonds

The earrings and necklace are stunningly beautiful. Such an exquisite design.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:54 AM
Heir Apparent

I asked in another thread then thought this one might be a better spot.

What happened to Diana's wedding band after her divorce/death? Does the Spencer family have it or do her boys?

LaRae
Old 06-05-2016, 12:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I asked in another thread then thought this one might be a better spot.

What happened to Diana's wedding band after her divorce/death? Does the Spencer family have it or do her boys?

LaRae
Her personal jewels are in William and Harry's possession. They got the engagement ring and band.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-05-2016, 07:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Do we know if Catherine's band is a new one or did she get Diana's?

LaRae
Old 06-05-2016, 07:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Do we know if Catherine's band is a new one or did she get Diana's?

LaRae
Catherine's band is new. It was made from the welsh gold that's provided to members of the Royal family for weddings.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS

Tags
diana, jewellery, princess of wales