The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-11-2014, 07:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

She said it was one of only 2 pieces that were an outright gift not a loan.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
There are so many statements or assertions of "fact" bandied about without any attribution that concern topics such as this.
If Suzy Menkes has gone on the record stating the Lover's Knot tiara was a gift and not a loan and there is no reliable source that says the opposite, chances are that she is correct.
That being the case, one would expect it to be lying in the same vault as the rest of her personal jewellery and we will see it when William or Harry decide we will and not one minute before.

Any other article of jewellery that turns up elsewhere could then be safely referred to as a loaner from HM. So, if someone other than Catherine (or Harry's potential spouse) is wearing it, no harm, no foul . . . and no more ever decreasing circles.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:12 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
There are so many statements or assertions of "fact" bandied about without any attribution that concern topics such as this.
If Suzy Menkes has gone on the record stating the Lover's Knot tiara was a gift and not a loan and there is no reliable source that says the opposite, chances are that she is correct.
The trouble is that Menkes (& Field) have been found to have so many errors. Can we really trust the validity of their work.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:18 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
She is the author of The Queens Jewels given access by QEII and proofed by the Queen.
Do you have written verification that Menkes was proofed by HM???
Old 01-12-2014, 12:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Did you READ what Warren said? It's in the forward to the book. She says that the Queen would leave a pencilled no or yes on the margin.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:23 PM
Courtier

Does anyone have any info on these earrings? Or a closeup? I'm 99.999% sure they are not but they look a lot like Kate's engagement announcement earrings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hd0634.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	290987  
Old 01-18-2014, 03:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy View Post
Does anyone have any info on these earrings? Or a closeup? I'm 99.999% sure they are not but they look a lot like Kate's engagement announcement earrings.
I can confirmed that they are not the earrings Catherine wore. Hers were Tiffany "By the Yard collection.

Here is a link to the Duchess KAte blog which has details

Duchess Kate: Search results for engagement

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-18-2014, 04:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I can confirmed that they are not the earrings Catherine wore. Hers were Tiffany "By the Yard collection.

Here is a link to the Duchess KAte blog which has details

Duchess Kate: Search results for engagement
That's what I suspected too but they looked very similar to me. Do you have any info on these earring that Diana is wearing? Thanks!
Old 06-30-2014, 12:35 PM
Courtier

I will never be rich enough to commission or buy Diana's pearls with the sapphire choker. But, I can afford Kenneth Jay Lane's knock off. Just purchased this necklace and cannot wait to try it on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Diana replica.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	291894  
Old 06-30-2014, 05:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Enjoy it. It is lovely.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Lucky duck! That is gorgeous!
Old 06-30-2014, 09:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Nice! Now what to wear with it??
Old 06-30-2014, 10:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
Nice! Now what to wear with it??
I may just wear it around the house along with one of my tiaras. LOL

I have an event to attend towards the end of the year, may need to find a new dress to wear with the necklace.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:51 PM
Heir Apparent

You'll be the talk of the town!
Old 07-01-2014, 11:43 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
To jump back into the Lover's Knot tiara subject, Sir Hugh Roberts, in his book "The Queen's Diamonds" says that the tiara was inherited by the Queen and worn by the Princess of Wales after her marriage (page 182). To me, the fact that it is included in the book with no comment that it was a gift to Diana means it is in the Queen's possession. While I personally have both Fields and Menkes earlier books, I feel Sir Hugh to be the better source.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

^ ok and you are welcome to your own conclusions , but may I ask what you are basing it upon ?
Old 07-01-2014, 07:57 PM
Aristocracy

Sir Hugh Roberts worked for the Royal Collection from 1988 until he retired in 2010. He was director of the Royal Collection for the last 14 of those years. The book was published by the Royal Collection and was written with the consent of the Queen. This is just my opinion but his credentials are far and away better than any reporter.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:03 PM
Heir Apparent

That's a good enough pedigree for me. Written by a man who got to actually work with, handle, stoke, and caress (and if it were me, drool over) each and every piece for twentytwo odd years. I imagine the collection catalogue is updated on a regualr basis and the jewels themselves regularly checked to ensure they remain in good repair.

Heavens, if HM the Queen knows anything it is that stuff happens. It would make perfect sense for her to have taken radical steps to ensure that sort of crisis never, ever, occurs again! And, on a more pragmatic note, jewels need to be maintained in much the same way as palaces, gardens, masterpieces of artwork, fine arts . . . the list is unending but, prior to her wedding I don't think anyone gave much thought to bling. It doesn't rust, etc. but HM is uncomfortably aware that 'stuff happens'.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
I will never be rich enough to commission or buy Diana's pearls with the sapphire choker. But, I can afford Kenneth Jay Lane's knock off. Just purchased this necklace and cannot wait to try it on.
I have to admit I know very little about Diana's jewels,can anyone fill me in on what happened to her beautiful pearl & sapphire choker?
Old 07-04-2014, 10:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Here is a great collage of Diana's stunning jewels:

Reine d'Amour et de Beauté

Tags
diana, jewellery, princess of wales