The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Aristocracy

She was so breathtakingly beautiful. Just like Princess Grace, she was very wise choosing her accessories/jewelry -- just a tasteful amount and elegant style that allowed their natural beauties to shine through.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Administrator

The discussion of which jewels the Duchess of Cambridge may wear or shouldn't wear at some time in the future has been moved to the Duchess of Cambridge: future tiaras and jewellery thread.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:38 AM
Gentry

Pearls:
ImageBam
ImageBam
ImageBam
ImageBam
ImageBam
ImageBam
http://www.imagebam.com/image/7a532d64399057
http://www.imagebam.com/image/04627964399368
Various:
ImageBam
ImageBam
ImageBam
ImageBam
ImageBam
ImageBam
Old 07-07-2012, 11:10 AM

There is a short diamond necklace with sapphire 'swirl' embellishment that was presented to Diana by the Sultan of Oman during the Gulf Tour of 1986 (The Royal Jewels, p.165) It would be stunning on Kate, and go well with her understated look. I have seen a photo of Camilla wearing it, and also the huge sapphire/diamond brooch wedding gift from the Queen Mother which was added to a multi-strand pearl choker. I don't understand this. If those things - especially the tour presentation gift - were gifts to Diana, and she and Charles were divorced, why would Camilla have access to them instead of them being saved for Diana's sons?
Old 07-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

They may have to been gifts to the royal family and not to Diana herself. Or perhaps William and Harry have allowed Camilla to wear the necklace. I'm pretty sure it's the first one though.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

I was under the impression that the sapphire parure was a wedding gift. That would not make it a gift to the crown. I will look in some of the old biographies to see what I can turn up. In either case, Camilla would do well to avoid pieces associated with Diana, as a matter of good taste IMHO.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elinor View Post
...Lastly, there is a short diamond necklace with sapphire 'swirl' embellishment that was presented to Diana by the Sultan of Oman during the Gulf Tour of 1986 (The Royal Jewels, p.165)... I have seen a photo of Camilla wearing it , and also the huge sapphire/diamond brooch wedding gift from the Queen Mother...
The sapphire and diamond necklace presented by the Sultan of Oman is pictured below. There is no record of Camilla wearing this necklace, nor is there any record of her wearing the Queen Mother's sapphire brooch that was a gift to Diana. It is likely that both pieces are in the custody of William and Harry.

As there is no evidence of Camilla wearing the pieces in question I would suggest that you have either seen photoshopped images of Camilla overlaid with a copy and paste of Diana's jewels, or misidentified the jewels that Camilla was actually wearing.

v Diana, the Sultan of Oman necklace and earrings
The thumbnail is a cropped portion of a much larger image and not subject to copyright.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Diana Sultan of Oman suite.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	286027  
Old 07-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

All of Diana's jewels, with the exception of the Lover's Knot Tiara and the Cambridge Emerald & Diamond Choker, were her personal property and now belong to William and Harry. There is no way Camilla would have access to these jewels.

The two royal pieces were from The Queen's personal collection and were returned to her after Diana's death. Whether they will reappear in the future remains to be seen.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Diana's Sapphires

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Flashback Friday: A Few of Diana's Sapphires
Check out these stunners! The choker and the ring especially- wowza!
Although I might forgo the ring if I had to be married to Charles....
Old 08-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

I always drooled over her chokers. Love the sapphire and diamond bracelet mounted on velvet..........stunning!!
Old 08-24-2012, 12:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubies View Post
I always drooled over her chokers. Love the sapphire and diamond bracelet mounted on velvet..........stunning!!
That makes 2 of us- especially the big sapphire and pearl one! Just took a closer look at the braclet mounted on velvet- really how stunning is that?
I have loved that one for years, without knowing it was actully a braclet, since Diana wore it as a necklace! Stunning- and very Diana.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:47 PM
Courtier

I wanted to share this information regarding a pair of pearl earrings that Diana wore starting 1989 and throughout the years after. It's been a 24 year search of finding who made it and I'm happy to say, I now own a pair.

Here's a link about these earrings:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...2&l=3f202dba2d
Old 03-21-2013, 11:09 PM
Royal Highness

That's so awesome! Great detective work. Enjoy your new earrings!
Old 03-21-2013, 11:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Wear them in good health, ayvee! They're lovely.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:50 AM
Royal Highness

They are gorgeous!! Enjoy!
Old 03-23-2013, 10:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

ayvee, I love that story. I have found myself really covetting certain pieces of jewelry. Even if I have to buy them in fakes its so fun to imagine your wearing something so special.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
All of Diana's jewels, with the exception of the Lover's Knot Tiara and the Cambridge Emerald & Diamond Choker, were her personal property and now belong to William and Harry. There is no way Camilla would have access to these jewels.

The two royal pieces were from The Queen's personal collection and were returned to her after Diana's death. Whether they will reappear in the future remains to be seen.
Actually, Camilla has several times worn the prince of wales feather brooch which was a wedding gift to Diana. For several years it was under discussion whether it was the same piece until it was confirmed in one of the major jewelry 'bibles'. I am at the airport in Mexico at the moment, but I can look up the citation when I get home, if you like.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Actually, Camilla has several times worn the prince of wales feather brooch which was a wedding gift to Diana. For several years it was under discussion whether it was the same piece until it was confirmed in one of the major jewelry 'bibles'. I am at the airport in Mexico at the moment, but I can look up the citation when I get home, if you like.
There were at least two PofW brooches created and I believe Camilla wears the one made for Queen Alexandra. Diana wore Queen Mary's.

In any case, Diana returned the brooch after her divorce from Charles as it belonged to the Crown and she had no reason to wear it again.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
There were at least two PofW brooches created and I believe Camilla wears the one made for Queen Alexandra. Diana wore Queen Mary's.

In any case, Diana returned the brooch after her divorce from Charles as it belonged to the Crown and she had no reason to wear it again.
It's sad and a tad annoying that this kind of incorrect information is being repeated again and again...
#1, private gifts as well as gifts during tours abroad were considered property of the recipient at the time when Diana was given them, in contrast to the current Windsor policy;
#2, Queen Alexandra's Prince of Wales diamond brooch with emerald drop was given to Lady Diana Spencer as an engagement gift by the Queen Mother and never belonged to the monarch, let alone The Crown;
#3, we don't know if the divorce settlement included this particular brooch or not - other important historic pieces like Queen Mary's emerald choker did remain with Diana as they were her property;
#4, the brooch worn by the Duchess of Cornwall is the same brooch as worn by Princess Diana.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
In my mind, the only true wearer of the Prince of Wales brooch in the BRF is the Princess of Wales - whoever the holder of that title may be.

Tags
diana, jewellery, princess of wales