Diana, Princess of Wales Jewellery 2: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CasiraghiTrio--I couldn't help but laugh, but it gave a lovely idea of how the two would have looked together!

Your links to different photos are just lovely! I have always thought that Spencer family tiara (the nice one) was beautiful, one of the prettiest ones out there. Its isn't imposing,and it quite delicate actually. I did not like it with her short curly hairdo, though .I liked Diana with longer hair. But, she was beautiful none-the-less.
Your picture 3--that modern necklace is ugly, you're dead on about that!

Great photos--while the Lover's Knot is not a favorite of mine, I love the history behind it and I love that the Queen gave it to a young girl in love--it seemed perfectly suited for that purpose.

another jewel used by Diana and Camilla
The Duchess of Cornwall at the banquet for King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia last week
I'm afraid this rubbish merely shows the ignorance of those who report it. The Royal Family Order is worn by the Princess Royal, the Countess of Wessex, the Duchess of Gloucester, the Duchess of Kent, Princess Alexandra, and now by the Duchess of Cornwall. It was more latterly also worn by the Queen Mother, Princess Margaret and Princess Alice of Gloucester. The Royal Family Orders granted by Elizabeth II and worn by these royal ladies are to all outwards appearances identical.

To suggest that Camilla is wearing "another jewel used by Diana" with the inference that she is wearing Diana's jewel is nonsense, as anyone who had any understanding of the Queen's personal Order would know.

I must say that the headline isn't fair at all since the Queen gives the family order to who she wishes to have it and I'm sure that a new one is made up for each new person who recieves one.

It does not look too bad! It's an ugly tiara by itself, but Diana might have been able to pull it off....
Does anyone have a picture of this Spencer honeysuckle tiara?...or did I miss it earlier in the thread?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Spencer Honeysuckle Tiara

1. Original
2. & 3. Revamped

Attachments

• Spencer Honeysuckle Tiara old version.jpg
    Spencer Honeysuckle Tiara old version.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,842
  • Spencer Honeysuckle Tiara 3.jpg
    Spencer Honeysuckle Tiara 3.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,039
  • Spencer Honeysuckle Tiara 1.jpg
    Spencer Honeysuckle Tiara 1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,273
Last edited:
Thank you so much. I saw this tiara on display and in person it is quite dazzleing and maybe not as ugly as one might think.

Look for in the Worst Royal Jewels thread.......

I do agree daisygoogles. I've seen it too and it is impressive. It is also very versatile - I think there are a number of different ways it can be worn aand could be very pretty if used well on the right person. I think it would be lovely to see one of the Spencer ladies in it.

I think the article from the Daily Mail about Camilla's family order is just the Mail's usual way of trying to portray Camilla as the usurper of Diana's "place" or something. The Mail is always going to convey the idea that Camilla has taken Diana's place, Diana's titles, Diana's jewels, now Diana's order. It's obviously inaccurate, since none of these things personally belonged to Diana. But that's the Mail for you.... inaccurate, biased, one view, one agenda....

Thanks Warren. This latest picture of the Honeysuckle Tiara shows it in better clarity and it looks nicer than I first thought.

That is really a beautiful piece! It was a brooch that the Queen Mother gave to Diana as a wedding present, but Diana didn't care for brooches and only wore it once or twice before adapting it to wear with the pearls--but it can still be worn as a brooch, too.

The sapphire is huge. I remember a photo with Diana using the broach to pin her sash in place. But I do like it a chocker.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/387367-post80.html - i noticed this necklace and also wondered where it came from - i think that it was another necklace given to the Queen by the Saudi royals or some other Arab country and im sure that Camilla has worn this necklace here is a picture of what i believe is the same necklace at the diamond wedding anniversary dinner
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/9559/77970491vh9.jpg

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=211390&d=1131430646 in america
as this is not a necklace that diana wore much it clearly has been loaned to Camilla without any notice

I have 3 stupid questions.......... The jewelry belongs to the queen right? DId Diana recieve any jewels as a gift from the queen? And finally... Are some jewelry on special reserve for queens only?

I have 3 stupid questions.......... The jewelry belongs to the queen right? DId Diana recieve any jewels as a gift from the queen? And finally... Are some jewelry on special reserve for queens only?

The royal collection of jewels belongs to The Sovereign and is generally passed on to the next one. By convention, certain pieces given as gifts or bequests are considered personal property and are given to members of the royal family from time to time. These pieces generally remain with that family until otherwise disposed of.

Diana received the Lover's Knot Tiara, the Cambridge emerald choker and a few other valuable pieces from The Queen as gifts. She was allowed to keep these jewels after her divorce, with the condition they could never be sold or lent. After her death, these jewels were returned to The Queen.

Each Queen or Queen Consort wears pieces that were designated by Queen Victoria or Queen Mary as belonging to the Crown to be worn in right of it. The present Queen is also likely to designate many pieces received throughout her reign as belonging to the Crown to be worn only by Queens as well.

" http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/387367-post80.html - i noticed this necklace and also wondered where it came from - i think that it was another necklace given to the Queen by the Saudi royals or some other Arab country and im sure that Camilla has worn this necklace here is a picture of what i believe is the same necklace at the diamond wedding anniversary dinner
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/9559/77970491vh9.jpg"

They are 2 different necklaces!
And here are photos to prove it:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa4/andrewcs/Camilla-FirstWeddingAnniversaryPhot.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa4/andrewcs/dimys1.jpg

Camilla has enough jewels to wear, she doesn't have to borrow from the late Princess' estate.

repeatandrew i have the book that the photo of Diana with the diamond necklace came from and they are very similiar if not the same - the photo posted here of diana is not very clear. If you look closely the necklaces are the same shape and style.

I wasnt saying that it borthered me that Camilla was wearing what appears to have been previuolsy worn by Diana as this necklace was loaned from the Queen. What does annoy me is when she wears the diamond and emerald brooch given by the Queen Mum to Diana

if the necklaces are different where did Camilla's come from??????????

I'm 100% sure that those necklaces are different. Camilla's necklace can be a gift from Charles or a gift from an Arab ruler.
As for the Wales feathers brooch. It is Camilla's husband's symbol, so she is fully entitled to wearing it! And I'm not sure that was a gift from QMum to Diana...there are several wales-feather brooches in the royal collection..

Here we go again....the PoW brooches are different--it can be seen in the detail of the design of the shank holding the drops, and in the number of diamonds each piece has. Honestly, it never ceases to amaze me that people seem to think that the BRF only has one PoW feather brooch. Queen Alexandra had several, IIRC. Irregardless, if Camilla is wearing any piece of family jewelery that has been passed through generations that may have been worn by Diana, well, that's the way it is. These are family pieces, meant to be enjoyed by the family members. It's not as if Camilla's strolling around wearing Diana's engagement ring, after all.
I'm going to look for the information about the brooches--we've discussed it I don't know how many times on these threads.

OK, I found a post by Skydragon that discusses the number of stones and has pictures. Now, the pictures aren't in the actual post, you have to click on them so make sure you pull both up and look at them together. Additionally, the scrolling plume on the bottom of Camilla's is emeralds and Diana's were not.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/515873-post116.html

Also, on Ursula's site scroll down a bit; just a nicer photo of the brooch the Duchess wears
Emerald Jewels | Wedding gifts to Queen Alexandra | Camilla Duchess of Cornwall

Last edited:

Thank you jcbcode99 for the detailed answered! I knew they were not the same but could't provide details!

... if the necklaces are different where did Camilla's come from??????????
There are many diamond necklaces in the world - Camilla's could have come from anywhere!

BUT - these two are very clearly different designs - Diana's is a floral design with very clear circular motifs of graduating size, whereas Camilla's is a simple graduated fringe, with no circles and no floral pieces (beautiful as it is...)

Very interesting and I enjoyed it--but there are several inaccuracies with the provenece and history of the jewels. Mildly irritating if you know the history--wonderful if you don't.

Last edited:
The Princess looked resplended in all of her jewels.

It was a was a very interesting documentary.
I remember one of the women being interviewed said that " All the Jewels in the world can not make somebody shine if they do not shine within themselves."
Which I believe is very true. The Princess of Wales had a very impressive jewellery collection.

I agree--she wore jewels quite well. I loved her signature piece--the QM brooch set as a center for the pearls. Stunning.
It was impressive, but it seemed a little small. I do wish she had liked brooches--I think we would have seen more "bling" on her!

IMO she was too young to wear brooches, and back in the 80s it wouldn't have looked that great with some of the dresses she wore. I do remember her wearing a brooch with her pink Versace suit in 1995 during her visit to the Princess of Wales Royal regiment.

Her collection was indeed small but her taste in jewellery was simple so maybe that explains why she didn't buy more pieces.

That's true--"less is more" suited her.

Casi - I agree that necklace in Picture 3 is by far the ugliest piece in the lot. Given to her as a wedding gift I believe by some Sultan or something, 'nother. As noted, youtube has the entire documentary on file on Diana and her jewels. I think it's insensitive for Camilla to wear anything that Diana wore, or maybe insensitive is not the proper word, maybe 'bad taste' because come on, aren't there other jewels you could swing over your neck than ones already used before by the People's Princess?

Does anyone know if anyone has dared to wear the Emerald choker that Diana wore as a headband?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom