The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Gentry

I was reading through here and noticed that no one could seem to place Diana receiving the aquamarine and diamond drop earrings that she wore in the summer of 1987 and in Germany in 1987. I was just going through my 1987 archives of Diana and noticed this from

July 22, 1987 when she received the freedom of the city

"The princess was presented by the Worshipful Company of Grocers, one of London's ancient guilds and received as a memento a pair of aquamarine and diamond drop earrings"

Do you think these could be it?

Old 01-09-2011, 07:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

linmarylou, that's a great find, because the provenance of these earrings was indeed never resolved!
I don't think that Princess Diana has worn other aquamarine and diamond earrings than the long, dangling ones first seen in late 1987, and they might very well be the gift from the Grocer's Guild.
The only aspect that makes me wonder about it is that it would be a remarkably generous gift, but timeline and description do fit...

Old 01-24-2011, 01:12 PM
Serene Highness

$600,000 Dispute Over Princess Diana Jewels

Courthouse News Service
Old 02-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Commoner

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tD7M3nMiBw...Q/s1600/DI.jpg
Old 02-17-2011, 06:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

The pearl and diamond necklace that has been dubbed 'the swan lake set' is simply one of the most beautiful necklaces. It is so sad that such chaos always seems to follow it. I wish it could have been paid for by her estate and remained in England. A real waste of a masterly crafted piece of jewelry IMO! and ...how lovely it would have been around a new princess' neck!!
Old 02-18-2011, 05:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubies View Post
The pearl and diamond necklace that has been dubbed 'the swan lake set' is simply one of the most beautiful necklaces. It is so sad that such chaos always seems to follow it. I wish it could have been paid for by her estate and remained in England. A real waste of a masterly crafted piece of jewelry IMO! and ...how lovely it would have been around a new princess' neck!!
Lovely as the parure is, it does seem raher ordinary in comparison to a lot of the jewels that Diana wore during her time as a royal. I really fail to see the justification for her estate to have bought the jewels - they really did not have a real connection to her, other than she having borrowed them once to wear. Am I missing a point here, Rubies?
Old 02-18-2011, 08:35 AM
Royal Highness

It is a lovely jewelry set. Very elegant and modern setting of pearls and diamonds. Diana, Princess of Wales used the jewelry on loan right before she died. That is why the swan lake set is associated with her. I also believe she would have bought the set if she lived, because the necklace modern design would have suited her style sense.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
Thanks to Monic...here is a close up of Princess' Saudi Sapphire set.
ImageBam - Fast, Free Image Hosting and Photo Sharing
The pic shows just the Saudi earrings and the necklace. In its original form, the suite of diamonds and sapphires, a wedding gift from the Saudi Crown Prince, also comprised a ring, a bracelet and a watch with seven sapphire clusters.

Diana soon decided to alter the suite: Because she had already received two other diamond watches as wedding presents, and because the sapphire ring was so similar to her engagement ring, Diana broke them up to make new jewels. Four of the seven stones from the showy watch became imposing two-tier earrings. The central sapphire from the ring replaced the watch face to make a new centrepiece for a necklace that Diana would wear, mounted on velvet, not only as a choker necklace, but also round her head as a bandeau for a banquet given by Emperor Hirohito. This new pendant was later hung on a two-strand necklace, with three clusters from the watch used as spacers.

Source:"The Royal Jewels" by Suzy Menkes

The picture of the Saudi Sapphire Suite below is a heavily cropped portion of a larger image and therefore complies with US copyright law fair use provisions.
The 2nd image shows Diana wearing the Saudi Sapphire watch. The ring is her engagement ring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Diana Saudi Sapphire Suite1.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	276193  
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2011, 11:01 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
I know that she wasn't allowed to accept this suite of diamonds from Collingwood, but I think she looked amazing in them. They were just beautiful--and she could've put that necklace on a tiara frame and had another fairly lightweight tiara (the Lover's Knot gave her headaches it was so heavy):
http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/vogue/126-1.jpg

http://dianasjewels.net/Earrings/dia...engagement.jpg

this is one of my favorite sets Diana wore, why was she not allowed to accept the suite?
Old 02-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethaliz6894 View Post
this is one of my favorite sets Diana wore, why was she not allowed to accept the suite?
I agree. I believe that the necklace could had been worn as a tiara as well.

Whatever happened to this suite?
Old 02-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Curiously, the necklace bears a resemblance or at least is in a similar style to one of Princess Anne's "mystery tiaras":

Princess Anne mystery tiara
Old 02-20-2011, 03:46 PM
Aristocracy

wow! amazing how close they look
Old 04-19-2011, 10:23 PM
Serene Highness

Does anyone know which Tiara is this one Diana's Life - 1985-92 - Sky Living HD photo 18 ?
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Serene Highness

The Cambridge Lover's Knot.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:01 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae
Does anyone know which Tiara is this one Diana's Life - 1985-92 - Sky Living HD photo 18 ?
it's not the Cambridge Lovers in pic 18, it's the Spencer tiara which she wore her wedding day
Old 04-20-2011, 12:20 AM
Royal Highness

Photo no. 18 is the Spencer Tiara. The only tiaras Diana wore were the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara and the Spencer tiara. The
Old 04-30-2011, 08:29 AM
Majesty

did her sister wear the earings diana wore for her wedding at william and kates wedding?
Old 04-30-2011, 09:36 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine View Post
did her sister wear the earings diana wore for her wedding at william and kates wedding?
i was thinking the same thing, i keep looking for her, but i never saw her. :(
Old 04-30-2011, 06:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine View Post
I haven't seen any photos of Lady Sarah during the wedding, but she did wear the earrings for the evening reception:

Royal Wedding - Evening Celebrations At Buckingham Palace - Pictures - Zimbio
Old 06-08-2011, 01:18 AM
Serene Highness

Some photos:
antje korb-hansl | Prinzessin Diana Juwelen Photo Album on Myspace

Tags
diana, jewellery, princess of wales